PDA

View Full Version : Best TUF Coach?

Afro
06-17-2006, 09:04 PM
out of all 3 seasons who do you think did the best job as a coach?

My opinion.. I think Rich Franklin was the best coach.

Matt Boone
06-17-2006, 09:19 PM
My vote would go to Randy Couture or maybe even Tito Ortiz. I knew Ortiz would be awesome, I expected it. But even in expecting it, he surpassed what I thought he'd contribute. He really didn't do anything to steal the spotlight or be a camera-hog at all. He wasn't playing into anything. He really geniunely seemed to go there with the intentions of being the best coach he could, and it seemed to pay off. 3 of his 4 are in the finals, and a lot of his guys who were picked to lose against guys on Shamrock's team ended up winning or doing way better than expected in losing. I mean everyone of his guys said the same thing at the end, they never learned so much and that he changed their lives.

Masscore
06-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Oritz or Liddell. Liddell dominated the first season, with having two champions in the end. Oritz has dominated this season and could very likely have two champions in the end.

Afro
06-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Ortiz will most likely have two champs, but I think whoever picked Bisping was gonna have a champ regardless, the middleweight division was pretty wide open.. but in LHW you had a lot of good fighters but Bisping stood out from the beginning I dont think it woulda mattered who coached him.

and Ortiz was an excellent coach, all my respect for Ortiz is from his coaching.. still cant stand the guy but wouldnt mind him coaching me.

I like Franklin though, I think he had it all.. he produced 2 champs in fights that could of gone either way, and he treated his fighters well.. I think Liddell was pretty good too so was Couture..

Matt and Ken I think were the worst, Ken bein' the worst as far as coaching and Matt being the worst as far as how he treated his fighters.

Anthony
06-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Its not a fair question, we didnt see alot of the other 2 season training sesions. We saw alot in this one cuz they cut down the fights and cuz of no dumbass challenges. Tito's golden boy dominated a fight in which he is deaf, 1 demensional and had 1 arm, and then won. Ken's golden boy lost to a 30 second setup for a triangle.

I would have to say that Tito did the best job cuz he now has 3 guys, which is including a guy from Ken's team now in Team Punishment.

Anthony
06-18-2006, 12:52 AM
http://www.titoortiz.com/spaw/images/GroupBigBear06.jpg

toe nail124
06-18-2006, 02:35 AM
who was kens golden boy?

Edgucator
06-19-2006, 03:14 AM
who was kens golden boy?
I don't think he had one. Tito's was obviously Matt because he was crazy about how Matt could be a champion some day.

Ken's I guess could be Ed Herman since he went and got Couture to come watch Ed fight.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 04:06 AM
Jesse was his golden boy. Remember how he was talking about how he wanted to suck his cock?

Edgucator
06-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Jesse was his golden boy. Remember how he was talking about how he wanted to suck his cock?
Uh, no not really...I remember him being happy when Jesse came back because Ken had lost like four times in a row.

manntis818
06-19-2006, 06:21 AM
is that team punishment up there...........if it is i didnt know some of those people like mayham miller or stevenson,burkman,soloaman, hamill i knew about kendall but i didnt know all those peole are on the team

manntis818
06-19-2006, 06:22 AM
o ya and tito ortiz by fare the best coach then come randy

Afro
06-19-2006, 06:24 AM
actually

Saulz was the best coach!

manntis818
06-20-2006, 04:59 AM
you know what he was!!!!!!!

Masscore
06-21-2006, 07:26 PM
After watching the last show again, I have to say hands down Tito was the best coach. He truly cared about the fighters, even those that werent on his team. When Ross was down about losing his fight, which coach walked over and said something to him, Tito did. His own coach didnt even try to comfort the guy after losing a big fight.

Tystick357
06-21-2006, 08:19 PM
The best coach was the basketball. But just like Wilson in Castaway he didn't make it through to the end.

Yeah I know lame joke. I'd have to agree that Tito was the best coach. It's apparent who the worst coach of the show was, Kenny.

Tito seemed to be the best trainer of sorts but I don't recall seeing as much of what they trained in TUF 1. I would have to say Randy is very close to being the best coach as well. I'm sure Laimon taught some things to the fighters in the first two seasons as well. Don't forget about him and the two other trainers. (Whose names I forget)

killerinstinct
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Randy Couture without a doubt.He chose the better contestants and may not have always won the competions ,but coached his guys well and they all respected him very much.He coached guys like bonnar,leben,swick,alex, and Jason thacker need i say more.

Alvin
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I cant really comment on TUF2 cos I didn't watch most of it (first couple of episodes bored the shit out of me) but from the other 2 seasons, based on results Liddle was best coach along with Tito.

Randy knows what he's doing & is an excellent coach, but the results don't lie. Chuck had to give up how many of his fighters to balance the teams?

Masscore
06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
I have plenty of doubt in Randy when it comes to his coaching on TUF. He only had one guy he started off with make the finals. Liddell dominated that season. As a matter of fact as I come to think of it, I think Randy's team only won one fight vs. Liddell's team. Hell even in the Middlewieght semi-finals he still lost to Liddell when Florian beat Leben.

When it comes to coaches on TUF I would put it in this order:
Oritz
Liddell (Maybe if we saw more of his training he would be number 1)
Franklin
Hughes
Corture
Shamrock

Afro
06-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Couture >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hughes

Hughes had fans on that show that lost his respect, and he treated ppl like crap.. Couture was biased on the show but I think hes better then Hughes was.

Masscore
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Yea, but when it comes down to it, Hughes still got results. Corture got no results out of any of his fighters for the most part. So Hughes at least doing something right with his fighters.

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Couture >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hughes

Hughes had fans on that show that lost his respect, and he treated ppl like crap.. Couture was biased on the show but I think hes better then Hughes was.
Some people didn't like his coaching style ,but you can't argue with results. Parcells guys hate him untill they start winning.

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 05:57 AM
in order
1Couture
2Hughes
3Liddell
4tito
5rich
6ken

Afro
06-22-2006, 06:01 AM
I thought Rich owned him on the show?

remember Von Flue won a fight for him and get tossed him aside

Rashad Evans and Joe Stevenson were Rich guys werent they?

Luke was Matts winner, other then that I thought Matts guy were gettin beat.. Seth was killin guys left and right

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 06:03 AM
I thought Rich owned him on the show?

remember Von Flue won a fight for him and get tossed him aside

Rashad Evans and Joe Stevenson were Rich guys werent they?

Luke was Matts winner, other then that I thought Matts guy were gettin beat.. Seth was killin guys left and right
stevenson was with hughes the entire time and it was hughes that had to give up guys each weak.Hughes dominated in the WW and the HW was pretty close.

Afro
06-22-2006, 06:05 AM
stevenson was with hughes the entire time and it was hughes that had to give up guys each weak.Hughes dominated in the WW and the HW was pretty close.
ohhh ok they were both with Hughes then thats right

Masscore
06-22-2006, 04:57 PM
You must really like Corture, because I don't think anyone else thinks he was the best coach. Come on, the guys team only won one fight against Liddell's. Sorry, the best Coaches get results and Corture got no results. Even in the one fight his team won, many people believe that Bonnar lost or it should have at least gone into a 3rd Rd.

When it comes to season two, all four of the HW finalist were oringally on Franklin's team. I also believe that all four or at least 3 of the WW were oringally on Hughes' team so it was pretty even.

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 06:25 PM
all 4 welter weights were originally hughes-jason,joe,luke,andsammy.

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 06:31 PM
You must really like Corture, because I don't think anyone else thinks he was the best coach. Come on, the guys team only won one fight against Liddell's. Sorry, the best Coaches get results and Corture got no results. Even in the one fight his team won, many people believe that Bonnar lost or it should have at least gone into a 3rd Rd.

When it comes to season two, all four of the HW finalist were oringally on Franklin's team. I also believe that all four or at least 3 of the WW were oringally on Hughes' team so it was pretty even.
I think he chose the better fighters at the begining of the show and was a good coach he just didn't win many of those challenges and that really hurt him.He'd has his smallest guys going up against diego each weak.He didn't to do bad the guys he chose are now famouser than liddells guys.Just the guys he really chose that are now stars goes as follows-leben,swick,bonnar,Quarry,alex caralexis(sorry if spelled wrong),JASON THACKER!!!!!!

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
he did bad b/c all his main guys didn't get to fight untill late in the show. Swick didn't fight untill the semis against bonnar.Quarry his 1st pick never even got to fight.Leben fought Josh which was a bad match up for him.

jedibaker
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
The best coach was the basketball. But just like Wilson in Castaway he didn't make it through to the end.

Yeah I know lame joke. I'd have to agree that Tito was the best coach. It's apparent who the worst coach of the show was, Kenny.

Tito seemed to be the best trainer of sorts but I don't recall seeing as much of what they trained in TUF 1. I would have to say Randy is very close to being the best coach as well. I'm sure Laimon taught some things to the fighters in the first two seasons as well. Don't forget about him and the two other trainers. (Whose names I forget)

Ken was the worst coach of any sport I had ever seen, let alone TUF shows. My drunk-ass t-ball coach who would have seizures on the first base line was a better coach then limp-dick shamrock. Dana should call the 5-0, cause shamrock robbed his ass out of however much it was he got paid to do abosolutely nothing!

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Ken was the worst coach of any sport I had ever seen, let alone TUF shows. My drunk-ass t-ball coach who would have seizures on the first base line was a better coach then limp-dick shamrock. Dana should call the 5-0, cause shamrock robbed his ass out of however much it was he got paid to do abosolutely nothing!
yeah i thought shamrock would be a better coach especially considering that's what he does for a living train guys.This can't help his business any.

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Horn and Tanner.They would be great coaches and you could have them fight at the end of the show.

Masscore
06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
He didn't to do bad the guys he chose are now famouser than liddells guys.Just the guys he really chose that are now stars goes as follows-leben,swick,bonnar,Quarry,alex caralexis(sorry if spelled wrong),JASON THACKER!!!!!!

The most famous fighters to come off that show are Diego and Forrest hands down. They were both on Liddell's team.

Quarry never desevred his title shot and Franklin proved that.

Swick is good, but not that good. Just because you can catch people in chokes doesnt make you special.

Bonnar is highly overrated. He should have lost to Swick. He did lose to Jardine. And Evans is going to make him look like a fool. Evans is going to be the first guy he is going to fight that acctually has some ground game.

Leben is just a really good banger. He isnt that much of a contender like everyone thinks he is. If he ever fights Franklin, Franklin will rip him apart.

Afro
06-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Randy is definently the best non-TUF coach

Team Quest > Team Punishment

killerinstinct
06-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Swick is good, but not that good. Just because you can catch people in chokes doesnt make you special.

Bonnar is highly overrated. He should have lost to Swick. He did lose to Jardine. And Evans is going to make him look like a fool. Evans is going to be the first guy he is going to fight that acctually has some ground game.

Leben is just a really good banger. He isnt that much of a contender like everyone thinks he is. If he ever fights Franklin, Franklin will rip him apart.
Swick is pretty good he's like 9-1.Bonnar didn't lose to Swick he submitted him in the 1st round on the show.I don't understand what you mean by he should've lost to swick.He didn't lose to Jardine.Evans isn't going to make anyone ,but himself look like a fool and Leben would fuck rich up.Leben defeated rivera in the 1st round in took rich 3 rounds.He also defeated Deweese faster than the champ.Rich has a weak chin and Leben has an iron jaw this is a perfect match up for Leben.

Masscore
06-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Swick was killing Bonnar until he got careless and got caught in an arm bar. But honestly I havent seen anything that really impresses me about him outside of his win over Riggs. But I think Riggs wins that fight 7 out of 10 times.

Evans is going to beat Bonnar. He is a much better overall fighter. He can strike, ask Imes, and he can wrestle, ask whitehead. He also destoryed Jardine, who beat Bonnar. Yes, I know Bonnar won the fight on the score cards. But IMO Jardine should have won that fight.

Leben has knockout power and can take a hit. Which is the reason why his fights end earlier then Franklin's. But Franklin would kill Leben in a fight, just look what happened when Leben had to fight someone that could wrestle.

Edgucator
06-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Jardine/Bonnar, that was a close fight, either way someone would still say so and so should have won. In the end, the judges decided Bonnar.

I believe though Evans will defeat Bonnar, Evans has got some ground skills and can strike. He looked good againist the much larger Imes, I have no doubt he'll do great againist Bonnar. It'll be a good fight though.

killerinstinct
06-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Jardine/Bonnar, that was a close fight, either way someone would still say so and so should have won. In the end, the judges decided Bonnar.

I believe though Evans will defeat Bonnar, Evans has got some ground skills and can strike. He looked good againist the much larger Imes, I have no doubt he'll do great againist Bonnar. It'll be a good fight though.
I'll bet my fucking house that Bonnar beats Evans.

Edgucator
06-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Truthfully, I think it could go either way and I'm really looking forward to it. I'd forgetten about it until I listened to the radio show earlier. I'm really looking forward to UFN.

Masscore
06-23-2006, 11:39 PM

That is a horrible bet. Bonnar has no ground game at all. It was proven against Swick. Swick who wieghed 15 pounds less then Bonnar during the fight took Bonnar to the ground and would have won that round or maybe even the fight if Bonnar didn't lock in a sloppy armbar. Swick had to tap just because Bonnar was so much bigger that even a sloppy armbar would do a lot of damage to him.

Evans is a proven wrestler, probably one of the better wrestlers at LHW. He has also proven he can strike with guys that are 50 pounds heavier and almost a foot taller. And not only go punch for punch with them, but also out punch them. He is a far better overall fighter then Bonnar who is just a striker. A good striker, but he isnt much of a ground fighter and the one semi-good ground fighter he fought (Swick) took the fight to him. Evans is far better on the ground then Swick. I see the fight going the distance, but I see Evans winning by a uniamous decision and dominating the fight.

killerinstinct
06-24-2006, 04:57 AM
That is a horrible bet. Bonnar has no ground game at all. It was proven against Swick. Swick who wieghed 15 pounds less then Bonnar during the fight took Bonnar to the ground and would have won that round or maybe even the fight if Bonnar didn't lock in a sloppy armbar. Swick had to tap just because Bonnar was so much bigger that even a sloppy armbar would do a lot of damage to him.

Evans is a proven wrestler, probably one of the better wrestlers at LHW. He has also proven he can strike with guys that are 50 pounds heavier and almost a foot taller. And not only go punch for punch with them, but also out punch them. He is a far better overall fighter then Bonnar who is just a striker. A good striker, but he isnt much of a ground fighter and the one semi-good ground fighter he fought (Swick) took the fight to him. Evans is far better on the ground then Swick. I see the fight going the distance, but I see Evans winning by a uniamous decision and dominating the fight.
Bonnar not have a ground game? he was trained by carlson Gracie for gods sakes!!!!!!Swick caught him in guillotine it happnes.Swick has got a lot of guys in guillotines when his standup doesn't work or when someone goes for a takedown he jumps straight to guillotine i don't really know how good swick is on the ground when that doesn't work.we saw it once and he got armbarred.back on topic Bonnar has a decent ground game he was able to get out of swicks guillotine and then catch him in an armbar and he's had success against hoger on the ground.

Masscore
06-29-2006, 06:57 AM

So how about that house?

killerinstinct
06-29-2006, 07:29 AM
So how about that house?
I still wasn't impressed with Evans in that fight.He's a boring fighter who does just enough to pull off boring descions.

Masscore
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
I still wasn't impressed with Evans in that fight.He's a boring fighter who does just enough to pull off boring descions.

Doesn't matter, a W is a W no matter how the fight went. Lets be honest if he really wanted to he probably could have done a lot of damage to Bonnar. But I think he has just scared of being submitted like he almost was to Hoger. Thats a problem I think you are seeing with a lot of wrestlers right now.

MMAFan
06-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Doesn't matter, a W is a W no matter how the fight went. Lets be honest if he really wanted to he probably could have done a lot of damage to Bonnar. But I think he has just scared of being submitted like he almost was to Hoger. Thats a problem I think you are seeing with a lot of wrestlers right now.

I agree. Rashad is a bit boring right now. But, he is staying within his skillset, taking advantage of what he excels at and clearly winning. IMO, the judges have not been fair because of his limited game right now and scoring his matches closer than they really were. This strategy is smart for now, but will not endear him to fans. I am impressed with his athleticisim, wrestling skills and boxing skills. I'd love to see him make the next step to where he passes guard, learns submission skills and displays more of a killer instinct like Bisping displayed. Until, then he will do well against 2nd tier fighters, but it won't be very exciting.

MMAFan
06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
It's hard to say how well TUF1 and TUF2 did from the training coverage that was shown. But, Tito was clearly a phenomenal coach. His choices of assistants was excellent and his raport with the team and results were much better than I expected. With all the Lion's Den training press, I figured that Ken would be much better. Based on what we saw on the show, he was just awful. Ed was probably just as good when he came in as when he left, but Tito's fighters all appeared to make progress. Nice job Tito.

Edgucator
06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
It'll catch him up to him, I pray to god at least. Its a chore watching him just lay on people and not try to finish a single fight.

Afro
06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Evans needs a submission game, hes solid on his feet and a good wrestler but man how many times could of had Bonnars back and choked him out last night but didnt go for it?

dixon2ygz
03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Afro;5100]out of all 3 seasons who do you think did the best job as a coach?

the best coach in my opinion by far is definately not rich franklin. it has to be without a doubt matt serra i mean just look he always keep pushing them on and on. he is always talking and keeping them motivated