PDA

View Full Version : Alistair Overeem: "K-1 Is Easy"

snakerattle79
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
MMA's Alistair talks big: "K-1 is easy" : NEWS | K-1 OFFICIAL WEBSITE (http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/news/2009/1201_wgp_01.html)

The biggest threat to K-1 has appeared in the form of MMA expert Alistair Overeem. He not only beat one of K-1's brightest stars, Badr Hari, he also beat Peter Aerts, one of the sports' greatest legends. Now, he plans to win K-1's greatest prize, the K-1 WGP crown on December 5th at the Yokohama Arena! Can he be stopped!?

Q: Let's look at the Aerts fight.
Alistair: I'm really proud that I won that fight. It went just as I expected. It's a big deal that I beat one of K-1's legends. I'd seen him on TV fighting in K-1 when I was 12 or 13. As a fighter and as a person, I respect him. I was a little reluctant to beat him, but he knew what was coming. A fighter is a fighter. Once you're in the ring, you have to fight. I hear he's depressed that he's not in the top 8.

Q: You could say that MMA has beaten K-1.
Alistair: My fight against K-1 started when I fought Badr. I won that fight. I knew I could beat Remy, and though I didn't, I was able to fight advantageously. I fought the current champion and I damaged him. Against Peter, a newcomer like me defeated him so I'm proud of that.

Q: So the fight against K-1 isn't finished.
Alistair: It's hard to say when it's finished. The rules are different. When a K-1 fighter fights with K-1 rules, he has an advantage and the reverse is true. Mirko is the exception, but it's hard to say which is the stronger.

Q: But you defeated both Peter and Badr...
Alistair: Well that's quite an accomplishment, so many people would agree with you. Though they look similar, they are totally different sports. There is no fighter who holds the top title in both. If the other top 8 K-1 fighters fought me in MMA, I would beat them in 2 or 3 minutes.It's a different arena.
"I thought I'd be fighting Teixeira.

Q: At the lottery drawing, you didn't have much choice of opponent, but if you did?
Alistair: Anyone would have been fine, but for some reason I feel like I would have chosen Teixeira. But I think it shaped up to be a tournament everyone can be happy with. Even for those who wanted to choose their enemies.

Q: Why Teixeira?
Alistair: It's my sixth sense. I don't have a reason. It's just a feeling. I see me beating him then beating Badr and fighting Schilt in the final. Actually, I don't know how it will go, but recently my predictions have come true. I think they will this time, too.

Q: Teixeira is the Kyokushin World Champion. It IS like a mixed-martial arts match.
Alistair: I don't think of it like that, just two men fighting in a ring. It will be a tough fight. I'm sure he is hungry for the win as well. But, I will win. I've studied him and I have a plan.

Q: What about his being Kyokushin World Champion?
Alistair: I don't care. It's better to fight someone with a title of course. So I might be a little more motivated. Now I just have to beat him to a pulp.
photo photo photo photo
"It wasn't luck."

Q: How likely are you to win?
Alistair: I'm very confident. But it's three fights in one night. You never know what will happen.Alistair: I really want to win and I just have to practice and then do my best. Anyway, K-1 isn't my ultimate goal.Alistair: It's a side road. A checkpoint. I just want to have fun. If it's not, I'll just go back to MMA.

Q: Badr says he won't allow you to win and just go back to MMA. He won't let you get that far, he says.
Alistair: Before he said he'd fight me in MMA, but it never happened. I don't mind giving him a rematch in K-1, either. Some people say that when I beat him, it was luck. I'll prove them wrong. He says he'll stop me, but I'm only focused on winning. I'll play it smart and then win, that's all.

Q: I think that the K-1 fighters will try their best to stop you. Does that scare you at all?
Alistair: Not at all. Because MMA is a tough sport. There are 5, 5-minute rounds, and you have stand-up and ground techniques. You have not only punches, but you get kneed in the face repeatedly. Then K-1 is 3, 3-minute rounds. PRIDE had 10 minutes per round, right? Even with conditions like that, I am one of the top fighters. Compared to that, K-1 iseasy.

SimpleJack
12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
It didn't look easy when you were KO'ed by Remy "Soft Hands" Bonjasky.........

Face it, his rough-housing and bullying is tolerated and that gives him an advantage.

Go defend your title in SF if K-1 is so freaking easy.

mattc25
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
....yeah K-1 is easy because they do not drug test,what a f@cking clown he is. I just made this post below about my feelings towards him in the Brett Rogers interview.

....I have absoloutely zero respect for AO. He is clearly on roids,when I watched the last DREAM and I first saw him it looked like someone took a pump and pumped his ass full of air. I thought his hand was hurt and could not fight until 2010?....that is his excuse he did not fight Werdum or Roger's.....but a month later he is fighting of course in Japan. He should just keep his sorry ass over there.....if you look at his mma record he has not really beat any top ten heavyweight's. The guy is disrespecting K-1 and mma by his clear size advantage due to his drug use. I bet he never makes it to the states and eventually gets stripped of his belt,why it has not happened yet is beyond me.

bobcat
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Face it, his rough-housing and bullying is tolerated and that gives him an advantage.

Alistair wasn't knocked out by Remy, he lost by decision

Mirko45
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Alister also KTFO'd Badr Hari, my fingers are tightly crossed their meet in the finals Friday

fishy
12-01-2009, 10:25 PM
I think Hari will KO him in a rematch

jlruthven84
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I think Hari will KO him in a rematch

God, I hope you're right.

Pasha K
12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
He talks too much but I hope he KOs Hari again.

gotblood?
12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Who writes the headlines? Because once again, they're wrong.

I'm talking about the front page, mind you...

Bizz
12-01-2009, 11:26 PM
He forgot to add : "... when you look like the spawn of The Hulk and a gorilla".

GL Jeff
12-01-2009, 11:27 PM

They went to Dec.In a overtime round. That was still very close.

mma #1 fan
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
If its not illegal to use steroids over there is he really doing any thing wrong ? (but to his own body) Is every other fighter not using steroids over there? until he fails a drug test here in the states he is a clean as the next guy IMO

Does any one know if he has failed any drug test here in the states or any were ???

KillahKimbo
12-02-2009, 12:08 AM
i've never looked it up but steroids are prob illegal in japan, but they just dont care about testing for them. obviously k-1 is going to be easier than mma since overeem doesnt have to worry about any grappling

JadedX
12-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Alistair wasn't knocked out by Remy, he lost by decision
Damn, you had beat me to the punch, lol. Good observation for sure, though.

I like Overeem, just hoping for him to get off the steroids and defend his Strikeforce title already. That said, I get what he's saying, fortunately. Unfortunately though, not everybody gets what he's saying.

Atleast this thread title is accurate compared to the frontpage.. Overeem Says MMA Is Easy Compared To K1 (http://www.mmanews.com/other/Overeem-Says-MMA-Is-Easy-Compared-To-K1-Kickboxing.html).

optimusjoel
12-02-2009, 02:52 AM

He wasn't KO'd by Bonjasky, He was winning the fight until he was flashed. Bonjasky won the decision based off the one knock down. Not to mention Bonjasky is the reigning champ but you know that prob. doesn't mean much to you.

earle
12-02-2009, 03:40 AM
I think Overeem will crush Ewerton, and Hari, if they rematch, which is good because I can't stand Badr. Schilt is always a threat with that reach, but he's slowing down. Should be interesting.

SimpleJack
12-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Good call.

For some reason I thought he was KO'ed, but still, he was knocked down by a single punch from Remy who has notoriously soft hands.

My apologies on the gaffe.

roaddawg
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Damn, you had beat me to the punch, lol. Good observation for sure, though.

I like Overeem, just hoping for him to get off the steroids and defend his Strikeforce title already. That said, I get what he's saying, fortunately. Unfortunately though, not everybody gets what he's saying.

Atleast this thread title is accurate compared to the frontpage.. Overeem Says MMA Is Easy Compared To K1 (http://www.mmanews.com/other/Overeem-Says-MMA-Is-Easy-Compared-To-K1-Kickboxing.html).

Did you see the way AO was tossing Remy around lol. Judging at the crowd reaction I guess its illegal or cheap?

Also I find it kinda funny:
- Remy beats AO
- Badr Hari beats the crap out of Remy
- AO beats Badr Hari by vicious KO

This is proof that MMA math fails on a massive level. This is one of the main reasons I dont assume Fedor is going to always crush let alone win all of his bouts. Anything can happen in MMA and I think this is one of the main reasons behind its popularity. You just dont know what will happen.

rd

Pasha K
12-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Also I find it kinda funny:
- Remy beats AO
- Badr Hari beats the crap out of Remy
- AO beats Badr Hari by vicious KO

This is proof that MMA math fails on a massive level. This is one of the main reasons I dont assume Fedor is going to always crush let alone win all of his bouts. Anything can happen in MMA and I think this is one of the main reasons behind its popularity. You just dont know what will happen.

rd

Oh god, and who was saying that MMA math works?
Also what MMAMath has to do with Fedor?

HorrorPop
12-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Good call.

For some reason I thought he was KO'ed, but still, he was knocked down by a single punch from Remy who has notoriously soft hands.

My apologies on the gaffe.

oh yeah, embarrassing getting knocked down from the champ.

SimpleJack
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I would think so, considering it's so easy.

KevoOnTheRadio
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
On a side note, between TUF finale and K1 finals, I'm getting no god damn sleep for work on Sunday! Been lookin forward to the KI finals for a long time, this is the first K-1 tournament where I've been able to watch every fight. WAR SEMMY!

Bran
12-02-2009, 06:42 PM

yeah, that didn't happen, genius

SimpleJack
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Damn, that's harsh.....I corrected that, you know??

JadedX
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Dude, was that neccessary? I think it was, lol..

WAR OVEREEM!

Y2JUBAE
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM

LOL!!!!

beau420
12-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Remy Bonjasky is no pushover. He has the physique to beat the best. He usually tries to keep people on the outside and peck away at them (like a Lennox Lewis) it's K-1...it's not MMA, it's not a fight/slugfest.

Remy is one of the more boring guys, even Semmy can be like this sometimes, where it looks like he has no heart, no anger, just going through the motions.

But looking at who Remy has beat in his career, he has beat some of the best and he has been on a roll lately. Would have liked to see his Badr Hari finish rather than Badr getting DQd, but that's not his fault.

AO fights very different than Remy, AO has been fighting on anger and tons of aggression (might be from the extra testosterone in his system, but I don't care, it ain't a crime if you don't get caught)

I can't wait till the final, I have money on AO getting there, because Teixeira I thought lost to Singh Jaideep in the Final 16. Teixeira was boring, did nothing for most of the fight, never pressed the action and he gassed out. Just not sure if AO can beat Semmy in the final. Semmy might be too smart and fight like a bigger stronger Remy and pretty much peck at him from the outside and hold him and tie him up when he gets close.

So eager to see this....this and NYE Dream/Sengoku....

darkhawk42147
12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I am going to laugh hard when/if Overeem fights in another MMA match and gets taken down and submitted. The guy is getting really high on himself for great K-1 performances which is fine and all but he's the Strikeforce HW champion and needs to lay off the K-1 until he is either stripped of the title or loses it. The guy forgets he was TKOed by Chuck and Shogun who are very good fighter but smaller guys. He can pack on all the muscle mass and eat 8 meals a day but you can't get a better chin. Overeem is a talented fighter but to call out MMA guys all the while fighting in K-1 or fighting cans for sure wins like the James Thompson fans is simply sad.

Y2JUBAE
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
K-1 is easy on roids. You put gloves on and let the juice do the work.

willpunisher
12-05-2009, 02:48 AM
just destroy big pussy tim for me at NYE and i'll be happy.

SimpleJack
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Sure didn't look easy when Badr was tooling his ass a few moments ago.

Stick with MMA and defend that title AO.

earle
12-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Well I was 50% right, Overeem crushed Texeira, but Badr crushed him. Badr was just too fast for him. Semmy really impressed me, I thought it was only a matter of time before Badr caught him, but Schilt really stormed back. He used the same kick to finish LeBanner and Hari. I can't tell if he lands it to the liver, ribs or bread basket, but it sure is fast and it's obvious really painful. A well-fought win.

k1kickboxing
01-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Alistair is a strong fighter, and he is thinking that K1 kickboxing (http://www.k1-kickboxing.com/alistair-overeem.html) is easy, and therefor not very well prepared. If he would really focus, he would be a contester for the GP title

Pasha K
01-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Just 2 days ago I watched some of the fights on that card, and damn, Schilt humiliated Hari in a very bad way.
Also Schilt looks much more thin than before.