PDA

View Full Version : 2009 World Grand Prix Results (SPOILERS)

Sakara=Excitement
12-05-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.cagepotato.com/k-1-world-grand-prix-final-2009-results-videos-schilt-buzzsaws-through-tourney-hari-kos-overeem-semi

K-1 legend Semmy Schilt made history today in Yokohama, picking up his fourth K-1 World Grand Prix title tying him with Ernesto Hoost, who was also a four-time champ and doing it faster than any other kickboxer before him. Schilt needed just 5:52 of combined fight time to tear apart Jerome Le Banner, defending World GP champion Remy Bonjasky, and Badr Hari; not exactly an easy draw for the 6'11" Dutchman. The final-round victory over Hari avenged a 45-second knockout loss to the Golden Boy that Schilt suffered earlier this year at It's Showtime 2009 Amsterdam.

Despite all the horsemeat, Alistair Overeem only made it to the semi-finals of today's tournament. The Demolition Man came out in ferocious fashion, putting Ewerton Teixeira to sleep with a thunderous knee in the quarterfinals. But his semi-final match against old nemesis Badr Hari didn't go so well. After throwing Hari to the mat on two separate occasions, Overeem was dropped with a right hook to the ear. Forty-five seconds later, Hari landed a left head kick that wobbled Overeem into the turnbuckle, forcing the ref to jump in and stop the fight. Full results and lots more videos after the jump...

World GP Final (3x3min. 1r Ext.):
- Semmy Schilt def. Badr Hari via TKO (body kick), 1:47 of round 1

Super-Fight:
- Tyrone Spong def. Keijiro "Kyotaro" Maeda via unanimous decision

World GP Semi-Finals:
- Semmy Schilt def. Remy Bonjasky via TKO (leg kicks), 2:38 of round 1
- Badr Hari def. Alistair Overeem via TKO (head kick), 2:14 of round 1

World GP Quarter Finals:
- Reserve: Daniel Ghita def. Sergey Kharitonov via TKO (leg kicks), 0:36 of round 3
- QF4: Remy Bonjasky def. Errol Zimmerman via unanimous decision
- QF3: Semmy Schilt def. Jerome Le Banner via TKO (body kicks), 1:27 of round 1
- QF2: Alistair Overeem def. Ewerton Teixeira via KO (knee), 1:06 of round 1
- QF1: Badr Hari def. Ruslan Karaev via TKO (punches), 0:38 of round 1
- Reserve: Peter Aerts def. Gokhan Saki via unanimous decision

Opening Fights:
- Jan Soukup def. Tsutomu Takahagi via unanimous decision
- Singh "Heart" Jaideep def. Makoto Uehara via KO ("right f*ck"), 1:36 of round 2
- Ryuji Kajiwara def. Keiichi Samukawa via unanimous decision

Maybe Overeem will give up K-1 fighting for awhile and stick ot MMA.

rodzilla1988
12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Schilt looked phenominal. I was hoping to see a Schilt/Overeem final but I'm glad that Hari sent him packing back to MMA hopefully. Overeem has done very well in K-1 but it's time to meet your maker and his name is Fedor!!!

jody
12-05-2009, 08:58 PM
"K-1 is easy..."-Alistair Overeem

beau420
12-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Spoiler in Title pretty much

jlruthven84
12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Schilt did look pretty incredible. On a side note, Hari's style is starting to bother me...granted he's had plenty of success with it, but that wild, brawling method leaves him wide open for crisper techniques, as the GP final showed.

Oh, and good to see Overeem get knocked out of the semis.

Sniggles
12-05-2009, 09:25 PM
He fights the top people in K-1 and not in MMA. Hence why K-1 is easy. If he were to fight Fedor he wouldn't have a chance compared to how he beat Badr Hari before. So in essence he is right, that for him, K-1 is easier than MMA. :)

KevoOnTheRadio
12-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Aw son of a bitch I thought it was tonight! I can't believe I missed it. Oh well, Semmy won so I'm happy.

Y2JUBAE
12-05-2009, 10:14 PM
- Badr Hari def. Alistair Overeem via TKO (head kick), 2:14 of round 1

K-1 is easy? LOL!

Thank you Hari for shutting that cocky jerk up... for today...

pantomime horse
12-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I wish the spoiler wasn't in the title. :(

Mirko45
12-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I wish the spoiler wasn't in the title. :(

Same =(

Mirko45
12-05-2009, 10:46 PM
btw there is nothing in any combat sport that is as awesome as Michael Schavillo's completely out of control man crush for Badr Hari. His reaction as Hari clowned Overeem was amazing

evilkane165
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
As a Schilt fan im really happy he won it. Man Bonjasky had me worried when he dropped Schilt like 10 seconds into the fight, was not expecting that. Hari looked really good as well.

trustkill
12-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Do people think this loss will expedite Overeem's return to Strikeforce?

GL Jeff
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Horrible title, yet again. Wanted to watch the fights,and see how it went, but the second I go to the forum, BAM! ruined.

So AO is 1-1 against Hari, Id like to see a rematch, Id also like to have seen Remy fight AO again, but this time put him away. Hopefuly we can see AO back in Srikeforce defending his title. But were prob going to see him fight Tim.

Mirko45
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
After last night I'm confident that Hari would murk Overeem in a rubber match

baltour
12-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Christ almighty, change the fucking title, you spoiled it for me aswell asshole.

valheruking
12-06-2009, 12:29 AM
btw there is nothing in any combat sport that is as awesome as Michael Schavillo's completely out of control man crush for Badr Hari. His reaction as Hari clowned Overeem was amazing

He's the man, I remember some little guy knocking out a huge guy a couple years ago, he lost his mind, was calling him the wrong name for about 5 minutes and everything before he realized what he was saying :laughing4:

Mac
12-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Please don't post spoilers in the titles of fights this recent. Some people DVR them while at work.

SnakeD
12-06-2009, 01:22 AM
I was gonna complain about the spoiler in the title as well. Thanks for changing it, I hope you didn't disappoint too many people. I hope you, and everyone else is more careful of this.

TheCowabungaDude
12-06-2009, 01:38 AM
"K-1 is easy..."-Alistair Overeem The exact thing that came to mind while reading the thread...hahaha

FFFRpickup
12-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Hmmm "K-1 is easy" priceless.

SimpleJack
12-06-2009, 02:05 AM
No one mentioned Kharitonov's leg-kick "Checking." Reminded me of Rampage/Forrest, only far worse......

Good event. Badr and Aerts looked lean and mean. Semmy's style and size still make it nearly impossible to beat him. I agree that AO would present a nasty matchup for Semmy, given that he could not just muscle AO into the corner like he does others.

HorrorPop
12-06-2009, 03:41 AM
"K-1 is easy..."-Alistair Overeem

enough of that shit. he said that K-1 is easy comparing it to mma being that mma has kickboxing and other aspects to it, meaning that he has less to worry about in K-1. people need to stop taking that out of context. he's been doing great in K-1, cut the guy some slack.

SimpleJack
12-06-2009, 04:02 AM
However, he's no portrait of humility. Especially after the way he acted toward Remmy.

He's rubbed some people the wrong way, now he gets to eat some crow.

willpunisher
12-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Badr Hari def. Alistair Overeem via TKO (head kick), 2:14 of round 1

ahahahhahaha LMFAO. a head kick!
and that is because K1 is easy right Ali? haha
go get your ass kicked by Fedor so he can take the title away from you.

Flou
12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Allthough the fights pretty much all ended with KO's I'm still disappointed. It gets so fucking boring watching all these K-1 finales just to see either oversized-Schilt winning due to the fact that he towers pretty much everyone else thus making it really hard for them to hit him. Or if Schilt for some weird ass reason fails allways boring "hands-up and throw kicks" Bonjasky wins. Meh.
Makes it even worse that only Badr Hari has really stood out from the "new" K-1 fighters. Someone please invent a time machine and bring Mark Hunt and Ray Sefo from 1998 to this year. I promise I'll give you a case of beer for your troubles.

SimpleJack
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed in this show. AO TKO'ed, Semmy dropped in the first 10 only to finish Remmy, Kharitonov chopped down, Aerts winning, records broken, Spong's technique in general, KO after KO.......

Can't please everyone.

The Natural994
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
K-1 is easy? LOL!

Thank you Hari for shutting that cocky jerk up... for today...

Did anyone find the reaction kind of odd that the commentators had to Overeems loss...

The fist pumping and yelling the words "YES" repeatedly made me laugh out loud...

Overeem looked COMPLETELY out of his league and uncomfortable against Hari.

Flou
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't see how anyone could possibly be disappointed in this show. AO TKO'ed, Semmy dropped in the first 10 only to finish Remmy, Kharitonov chopped down, Aerts winning, records broken, Spong's technique in general, KO after KO.......

Can't please everyone.

It's not the fights I'm disappointed, I'm disappointed that Semmy won once again.

Edit: And, yes this time he didn't bore me to death, I guess I should be grateful for that. I've just grown to "hate" him very much through out the years :)