PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start submission wrestling

notBJpenn
12-26-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm looking to take some submission wrestling and Muay Thai classes at the start of 2010. I have no prior martial arts experience of any kind and the nearest gym is two hours away. Anyone got any advice for me so I can get the most out of this investment?

Smaciman
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
practice practice practice.

When you've learnt something new, dry run it at home, practising the motions and timings.
It'll help build muscle memory to help you advance quicker.

Also, if you're going 2 hours there (kudos on the commitment) then do multiple classes in a row.

And the trick with Muay Thai is strong calves & (again) practice.
Squats at home, and practice of the basic techniques will help you un-learn everything you used to know to replace it with the Thai technique.
Your cardio will be shot for the 1st few months, but when your body catches up you'll be financially better off for the endeavour.

notBJpenn
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
OK, thanks for the advice, do you know any good MT related cardio drills that I could do?

Smaciman
12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
squats & push-ups are the basics
then Hindu squats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75rslIm8v00) and Hindu push-ups (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_yqdvyscU&feature=related)

After that sit ups are good for your stamina and toughening your abs.
The best way to do them is link legs with a mate. On every even rise (2,4,6 etc.) one of you throws a jab cross into your partners hands
on the odd rises (1,3,5) etc. swap punching over.
Do this for 100 rises

Then depending on your kit, depends on what else you can do.
I use a large oak tree to do 100 max's (I have no idea why it's called that)
This involves doing a technique in 2's, then 4's, then 6's etc. up to 10's, then back down.
2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2 = 50
you then do these 10 times, so you do 500 repetitions.
So that could be 2 punches, then 4 etc, or 2 leg kicks, then 4 etc.

Skipping is good at working your timings, footwork & strengthening your calves

It all depends on your body's limits, and the limits of your surroundings.

notBJpenn
01-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Took the first class today, it's was amazing, I lack the words to describe it, can't wait to go back.

Smaciman
01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
glad you enjoyed it.
Welcome to the addiction that is...

Agentman
06-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Other than practice I would stress the virtues of conditioning above anything else in submission wrestling.

I'm a strong guy but Ive always found myself struggling the most against fighters with more stamina, even fighters significantly lighter or not as strong as I am.

Persistance is another thing youre going to need because if youre new to the sport youre going to have to get comfortable with the fact that youre likely to get thrown around pretty bad for a couple of months before you reach a level of ability where you can first of all resist an opponant and then eventually give him a challenge. I used to come home black and blue and wondering why I was putting myself through such pain when I first started.

Finially I would say you need to develop mental toughness. Theres all sorts of nasty tricks in submission wrestling that isnt going to submit you but is damn painful and uncomfortable and when some guys cranking your neck, digging his elbows into your thighs to break your guard, has his forearm accross your throat or the top of his head jammed into your face it can be really tempting to give up - the trick is not to and also dont let your opponant know it hurts so no grimmacing, moaning etc.

Everything else you will learn in time