PDA

View Full Version : Meteoric Rise: Apology to Mike Goldberg(maybe)

YukonJordan
01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Goldberg is often mocked for the stupid things he says during fights and one his most famous goldbergisms is the "meteoric rise". Obviously because meteors fall, crash and burn it's a rediculous metaphor for a fighter on his way to stardom.

I was watching the Best of Pride show on Spike and I heard at the end of the Rua-Randleman match Maurillo use the phrase "metoeric rise". Part of me died right there. Now my concern is who started this phrase. That match happened on October 21st, 2006 at PRIDE 32 - The Real Deal. I just can't remember the first time I heard Goldberg use it. Anyone know when he first busted out this gem of announcing buffoonery?

CoL
01-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Are you shittin me? Em meteoric rise is a term used to describe a "fast rise" This is not one of the stupid things that comes out of his mouth but i bet you feel pretty stupid right now.

singhc
01-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Are you shittin me? Em meteoric rise is a term used to describe a "fast rise" This is not one of the stupid things that comes out of his mouth but i bet you feel pretty stupid right now.

dude we get what he's trying to say, but meteors dont rise, they dont start off on the ground nd go up to the sky....they start off in space and fall downn GENIUSS

thesincrusade
01-16-2010, 10:10 AM
This could quite possibly be the dumbest thread ive ever read outside of sherdog.

schizerbone
01-16-2010, 10:21 AM
LOL @ the thread starter.

Sorry, I didn't want to laugh at you, but it had to be done.

YukonJordan
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey no problem, I laugh at myself all the time.

I honestly had never heard the saying before Goldberg said it, and still to this day think it's a stupid saying. Maybe I'm just holding my MMA announcers to too high of a standard.

drjohnson81
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
here's an interpretation of the term in question (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/meteoric.html)

beau420
01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought it was medioric rise.....like from mediocre to great.

Nothing to do with a meteor.

I am pretty sure I am right.

ColdMolasses
01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
meteoric - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meteoric)
the second definition there says " resembling a meteor in speed or in sudden and temporary brilliance <a meteoric rise to fame>"

snakebite
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
OP why would you even post a stupid thread like this? First off, who gives a fuck?! They say stupid shit constantly. I think people look too much at everything. Just watch the fight, i find alot of mma fans are like girls nit picking the lighting, the music, the commentators the glove color. A true fight fan could give a fuck about that. I mean its annoying but not enough to make a thread about it. Especially in the UFC, where everything has and will always be the same format. Get over it. LIke a bunch of girls.

schizerbone
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Medioric? lol...jeez. Let me just say, you're not right.

gotblood?
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM

I am pretty sure you're wrong.

tazzgoof
01-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Wow, is this what we've been reduced to? It's pretty simple, the only reason anyone hates on the gold-one is because he kinda says the same couple of phrases for every fight. In his defence, how many metaphors are there for stuff, it"s not like it's easy to make every fighter, every punch, every knee and etc sound like the greatest whatever-it-is ever that some repetition is to be expected. Besides, the lamer he sounds the cooler Jesus Rogan sounds. They are a good broadcasting team and they both care about MMA, not just the UFC ( ie their paychecks). I think all of the stellar fight calls they have made during the "holy shit" moments makes up for some pointless banter that's really only there to keep from having dead air. Lets get back to the important things, like betting on how many hundred knees Anderson Silva is going to unleash onto poor Gay-tor Bitch-fort.......