PDA

View Full Version : UFC's White:18 fighters make seven-figures

stevequalude
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
If fighter pay is any indicator, mixed martial arts hasn't quite hit the big time yet. From Esquire's profile of UFC President Dana White:

White estimates that eighteen of his ultimate fighters earn in the millions per annum. Many others make in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. New guys make fifty to seventy-five, "depending where you are in the pecking order."

Even pro hockey, the least popular of North America's four major team sports, generates far more millionaires than mixed martial arts. Each of the National Hockey League's 30 teams had at least eight players listed with seven-figure salaries.

Of course, each of the Big Four team sports also generates far more than UFC's business. The NHL's yearly revenue tops $3 billion, which dwarfs any estimate of UFC's total sales.

White does share the wealth when he believes a fighter has earned it. Esquire notes that he doubled Mauricio "Shogun" Rua's $250,000 base pay from UFC 104 in October after Rua lost a controversial but hard-fought decision to light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida.

UFC's White:18 fighters make seven-figures - MMA Fighting Stances: Mixed martial arts intelligence from the cage and ring - USATODAY.com (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/01/ufcs-white18-fighters-make-seven-figures/1)

KevoOnTheRadio
01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Well sure the NHL has more millionaires. They have more players the the UFC has fighters.

Pasha K
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
In the other side, there are fighters that make 2 o 3000 thousand for fight. That is nothing.

bigsmooth696969
01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
The thing is in the NHL you play 82 games for that 7 figure salary. Most UFC fighters fight 3 or 4 times a year max. Also the revenue is higher for the NHL becuase they have like 6-10 games a night for a 5 month period too and a national tv contract to boot.

TBEAR
01-27-2010, 06:29 AM
I would not have thought that 18 were in the millions

TheDoucheyWun
01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
I would not have thought that 18 were in the millions

It's all about the ratings man soo many slack fighters get paid so much more then talented guy's who are actuallly contenders or champions.. just cuz there a draw.. i may be mistaken im sure chuck makes like 350k more a fight then GSP does/did

H33LHooK
02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Let's not forget that leagues like the NHL have "unions" and CBA's in place that guarantee league minimum salaries.

For the NHL, I believe league minimum is something like $500,000...

willpunisher
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
chuck, randy, rampage, tito, gsp, bj are def one of those 18 fighters making over a million for sure.
but who else? forrest, mir, anderson, rich?

TheDoucheyWun
02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Brock and hughes maybe? sure they probs paid wandy and Nog out the ass to to come over.. but i dont know im just taking guesses lol