PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Most Overrated Mixed Martial Arts Stars

stevequalude
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Every company wants to hitch their wagon to a fighter with “charisma”, but which five have gotten the biggest push without the pedigree or skills to back it up?

http://mma-live.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/bisping.jpg
5. Michael “The Count” Bisping (18 Wins, 2 Losses)

Even though “The Count” is one of the most popular and dangerous fighters to step into the UFC octagon from the United Kingdom, his legitimacy as a top-contender and a headliner should be questioned. Bisping’s impressive striking and mind-games may have won over fans, but he has never defeated an elite fighter. His two chances to prove he was a top-contender in both the light-heavyweight division and in the middleweight division failed miserably when he lost to Rashad Evans (unanimous decision) and Dan Henderson (knockout). Aside from the occasional highlight-knockout, the only reason Michael Bisping is popular is because he is the poster-boy for the UFC in the United Kingdom.

http://www.marco-borrillo.com/images/Rich_Franklin_s_Nose_Before.jpg
4. Rich “Ace” Franklin (25 Wins, 6 Losses and 1 No Contest)

After his victory over Ken Shamrock at the TUF 1 Season Finale, his popularity increased tenfold and he went on to become the UFC Middleweight Champion. What most UFC fans didn’t realize at the time was that Shamrock’s career was winding down long before Franklin knocked him out, so even though it seemed like knocking out Shamrock was a huge feat, it wasn’t as big of a deal everyone made it out to be. His reign as UFC Middleweight Champion, while impressive, was also questionable as he was matched up against subpar opponents. As soon as Franklin stepped into the octagon with the upper echelon of fighters (Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson and Vitor Belfort) his skills, or lack thereof, were exposed.

http://mmafrenzy.com/files/2008/05/cung-le-182x250.jpg
3. Cung Le (6 Wins, 1 Loss)

After his 2008 fight of the year contender against Frank Shamrock, Cung Le skyrocketed to superstardom. As a matter of fact, because Mirco Cro Cop made the transition from PRIDE FC to the UFC many fans were saying Cung Le was the owner of the most dangerous kicks in mixed martial arts. As we saw in his last fight against Scott Smith (who is 1-4 in the UFC), it’s evident his kicks are more “flashy” than “dangerous”. Le’s offense was strong and quick, but he relied too heavily on his kicks which simply did not have the knockout power he was looking for and was not able to knockout Smith when he had several chances to do so. His performance against Scott Smith was one of the biggest letdowns for Strikeforce and opened a lot of eyes.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/189198/clay-g.jpg
2. Clay Guida (25 Wins, 11 Losses)

Clay Guida has been paired against numerous contenders to BJ Penn’s Lightweight Championship, but he has never been a contender himself. Despite that, he still remains as one of the lightweight division’s most popular fighters. Dana White realized that Guida’s wild style of fighting will never truly amount to great success and that nobody will ever buy a pay-per-view just to see him, but they will tune into Spike TV to see him fight for free. This is where two stars are born at once: the victor (usually Guida’s opponent) moves onto pay-per-view to fight Penn, and Guida gains an incredible amount of popularity by pulling in fans who are new to MMA because his fights are exciting and his trademark mane. Long story short, Clay Guida is the glorified stepping stone of the lightweight division.

http://supercutebrian.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/kimbo-slice.jpg
1. Kimbo Slice (4 Wins, 1 Loss)

Throughout his five-fight career, Kimbo Slice has already been featured in three main events, one co-main event, and starred on the tenth season of the Ultimate Fighter where he was easily the most advertised fighter in the history of the show… all because he was the star of backyard fighting videos. Elite XC made an illusion that Kimbo Slice was unbeatable, but that illusion was ruined when Seth Petruzelli knocked Kimbo Slice out in fourteen seconds. Kimbo Slice definitely has the knockout power to finish fights, but that’s all he has going for him; he is a one dimensional fighter. Whenever he is taken to the ground, he as no offense or defense. Like a fish out of water, he is not familiar with that world and he starts flopping around hoping he can get back to his feet. Sure to be at the top of everyone else’s list, Kimbo Slice deserves to be the most overrated fighter in mixed martial arts history.

Inside Fights | Top 5 Most Overrated Mixed Martial Arts Stars (http://insidefights.com/2010/01/22/top-5-most-overrated-mixed-martial-arts-stars/)

Inside Fights | Top 5 Most Overrated Mixed Martial Arts Stars (http://insidefights.com/2010/01/22/top-5-most-overrated-mixed-martial-arts-stars/)

roaddawg
01-22-2010, 07:29 PM
The answer to this thread is obvious. Let the fighter bashing begin!

BUKKAKALYPSE
01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Cung, Brock, Sanchez, Mir, Kimbo and Quinton are all on my list

roaddawg
01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
LOL!

dbader08
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Forrest, Brock, Kimbo, Tito, Couture, and Overeem are all pretty overrated in my book.

Masscore
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Guida shouldn't be on the list. I mean no one really thinks he is a top contender. We all know what we get with him. He is going to give anyone a barn burner match, but probably lose the decision in the end. The UFC I do not think has ever even billed him as a title contender.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
01-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Franklin, Bisping, Mir, Rashad, Forrest, Hughes.

roaddawg
01-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Anyone whose held a championship title in their respective divisions shouldn't be on the list imo.

Masscore
01-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Anyone whose held a championship title in their respective divisions shouldn't be on the list imo.

100% agree. I see overrated as someone with a lot of hype but never lives up to it. Winning a title means you lived up to your hype. Bisping makes a lot of sense on this list I personally think Josh Barnett is the most overrated fighter to ever fight. I know he was "champion" but does it really count if the title is literally stripped away before you can defend it once. I mean the guys best win is a split decision victory over Big Nog, in a fight a lot of people think (including myself) Big Nog won. Then Big Nog came back and beat him in the rematch anyway.

James Deuce
01-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, not quite sure why Guida is in this. I don't think anyone really views him as a contender. He's more of a gatekeeper.

GL Jeff
01-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I wouldnt think anyone on this list is overrated.

Bisping - Even though hes pushed by the UFC, they never make a claim that he is the greatest fighter. he has really good striking and can hold his own against most, but in no way do people think hes the best, hes just a solid talent.

Franklin - Bringing up the fact that he lost to Anderson isnt really fair. Everyone lost to Anderson. Franklin is another solid fighter, and always comes prepared. He went to the judges with both Hendo and Wandy, nothing to scoff at. Everyone has ups and downs,but I never thought as Franklin as being the best, just another solid all around fighter, that never disapoints.

Cung le - Cung hasnt fought enough to even be considered overrated. He tooled Smith until he got lucky and caught him with a punch.but for almost three rounds he was being beat up.

Guida - Hes not overrated, everyone knows eactly what their getting with Guida.

Kimbo - Another guy who hasnt fought enough to be considered. EXC hurt him more then anything, and its not his fault. Even Bas thought he had a good chance, and it actually looks like hes improving his ground game, if only a little.

When I think of an overrated fighter, I think of a fighter who beat alot of mid-talent fighters,and people thought he was in the top, and just always fell short. Overrated fighters I think of Matt Serra.

bottlerocks
01-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Franklin should have won the Hendo fight. I thought that was a terrible decision. He beat Wanderlei (given, not in terribly impressive fashion). There's no reason he should be anywhere near this list.

IceCold48
01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah, not quite sure why Guida is in this. I don't think anyone really views him as a contender. He's more of a gatekeeper.

hes probably the best most picture perfect gatekeeper in ufc history and no one views him as a contender i dont' get why he's on here. you can't be overrated when you're not rated that high

Pasha K
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Mir
Guida
Franklin
Forrest
Kimbo

For me those 5 are very very overrated fighters.

Trojan Fight Club
01-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Kind of pissed Guida is even being considered here. He's not hyped up to be great, he's just one guy who will always give his 100% regardless of who what when and where he is fighting. Not overrated in my book, but a true fighter. I went with Kimbo but I'd have to say Rashad is pretty overrated

Masscore
01-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Kind of pissed Guida is even being considered here. He's not hyped up to be great, he's just one guy who will always give his 100% regardless of who what when and where he is fighting. Not overrated in my book, but a true fighter. I went with Kimbo but I'd have to say Rashad is pretty overrated

How is Evans overrated??? In his last four fights he has beaten Liddell, Griffin, and Thiago. His only loss his entire career is Machida. Oh yea, he also has wins over solid fighters in Bisping, Lambret and Bonnar. You are right though, the former LHW champion with 3 wins over Top 10 competition in his last 4 fights is overrated.

Trojan Fight Club
01-23-2010, 04:39 PM
He was getting beat by Liddell when he caught him, Bisping totally won that fight, Thiago should have finished him and rashad was nothing but a bore in their fight, and Bonnar is stephan bonnar. so yay rashad he legitimately beat sean salmon!

Masscore
01-23-2010, 09:46 PM
He was getting beat by Liddell when he caught him, Bisping totally won that fight, Thiago should have finished him and rashad was nothing but a bore in their fight, and Bonnar is stephan bonnar. so yay rashad he legitimately beat sean salmon!

He was barely losing to Liddell when they fought and he was winning the second round before the KO so thats kind of a mute point. He did not "catch" Liddell, he set Liddell up. I am sick and tired of every time a flash KO happens (you know one bunch or kick) it was catching the fighter. You know, it actually takes a lot of skill to set someone up for a one shot KO.

Bisping did not win that fight. Even Fightermetric scored the fight for Evans. He took Bisping down about 6 times in that fight and the striking was just about equal.

Thiago, would have, should have... but didn't. The reason Thiago didn't finish Evans is because Evans dominated him for the first two rounds and wore him out. If it was not for a the ass kicking Evans handed out in the first two rounds, then perhaps Thiago would have finished he didn't. But the fact remains, he didn't.

The guy has one loss on his record to the current UFC LHW champion and he is someone overrated. Add in the fact he is 3-1 against top ten competition and a former champion, makes your argument for him being overrated look dumber and dumber. Next time go with the safe pick and just say Bisping or Kimbo.

rexthedog
01-24-2010, 02:15 PM
does anyone actually rate kimbo is more of a question

IMO most overrated fighter in MMA is Thiago Silva

rodzilla1988
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
does anyone actually rate kimbo is more of a question

IMO most overrated fighter in MMA is Thiago Silva

LOL, go jump off a bridge. Personally for me I think Thiago Alves is very overrated but Evans & Franklin should not even be discussed here.

bigsmooth696969
01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
LOL Franklin overrated? I just wanted LMFAO when I read that. He has never lost to a poor fighter. He was the MW champ for over a year. He doesnt pick his opponents, the UFC does. If anything, he is underrated. I think the most overrated fighters NOW are Kendall Grove, Brandon Vera, Akiyama, and Mirco Cropcop.

Trojan Fight Club
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM
LOL Franklin overrated? I just wanted LMFAO when I read that. He has never lost to a poor fighter. He was the MW champ for over a year. He doesnt pick his opponents, the UFC does. If anything, he is underrated. I think the most overrated fighters NOW are Kendall Grove, Brandon Vera, Akiyama, and Mirco Cropcop.

what the fuck did you just say...

bottlerocks
01-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Amen. Cro cop just makes me cry on the inside nowadays. As much as I love Brandon Vera it just seems like he's lost something intangible and I'd have to agree on that point. He gets paid waaaay too much for his performance level.

I'm going to get flogged for this one but IMO Cain Velasquez is overrated. He's an awesome fighter and probably the best wrestler in the H/W division but I'm sick of him being talked about like he's the next incarnation of God. He's got nothing behind his hands and his chin is pretty suspect.

bigsmooth696969
01-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Amen. Cro cop just makes me cry on the inside nowadays. As much as I love Brandon Vera it just seems like he's lost something intangible and I'd have to agree on that point. He gets paid waaaay too much for his performance level.

I'm going to get flogged for this one but IMO Cain Velasquez is overrated. He's an awesome fighter and probably the best wrestler in the H/W division but I'm sick of him being talked about like he's the next incarnation of God. He's got nothing behind his hands and his chin is pretty suspect.

I think Velasquez is a very good up and coming fighter with a less than stellar chin. He handled Kongo like a rag doll but got dropped a few times in the process.

Trojan Fight Club
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
saying Cro Cop is overrated is stupid. He is one of the greatest fighters in history. Just because he has gotten older and been on a decline doesn't make him overrated. That's like saying Chuck is overrated simply because he was good then but now he's on a decline. You can't be an all time great, get old and become overrated. Frye isn't overrated, he's old. There's a difference.

One-Way
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Poor article. With the exeption of Kimbo.

It is all subjective. Each is a good fighter. It is the fans own fault if they put them up on a super high pedistal. But that is the nature of sports. One's favorite team is the best and that is all there is too it. Bisping has skills, so does Franklin, Guida is always fun to watch, and Le is OK too.

IMHO anyone that thinks Kimbo is the best ever is obviously under educated about the sport. I do think that Kimbo is tough and has a fighters spirit but he has a lot of work to put in to be the best ever.

bigsmooth696969
01-26-2010, 04:30 AM
saying Cro Cop is overrated is stupid. He is one of the greatest fighters in history. Just because he has gotten older and been on a decline doesn't make him overrated. That's like saying Chuck is overrated simply because he was good then but now he's on a decline. You can't be an all time great, get old and become overrated. Frye isn't overrated, he's old. There's a difference.

Obviously you did not see the NOW I included. When Mirko came to the UFC, it was like the second coming of Jesus was upon us. His UFC tenure is an EPIC FAILURE! He was expected to come in and compete for the title and it never happend. So, therefore, he is overrated. He seems gun shy and timid to throw any strike in the cage. He is 35. Anderson Silva is 34 so dont tell me its because of age. Simpy put, IMO he is overrated.

Trojan Fight Club
01-26-2010, 05:08 AM
He is mentally worn out from the fight game. It has something to do with age, but Mirko has also acheived a lot in his life on top of fighting which has all taken a toll on him mentally. He was hyped when he first got to the UFC, and imo he stll has it in him, but he is not overrated. He is Mirko Cro Cop, one of the greatest strikers in history. Because his mental toughness is on the decline and he is done living the spartan lifestyle, that does not make him overrated. it makes me cry inside to nowadays but I would not call him overrated. Fedor said himself that Mirko was the toughest fight of his career. He's a legend and he will retire as such. not as overrated.

krillmaster
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
- At first I'd say put Fedor on this list, but he's more of an overrated fighter than an overrated star because he's raked in the bucks and finished fights.

- I can see why it's arguable for Guida to be on this list considering he never main-evented or even headlined a show, but I don't know why everybody's problem with Franklin being on this list. The article is about "Top 5 Most Overrated MMA Stars", not "Top 5 Most Overrated MMA Fighters". I'm sure the list would be much different if it was about overrated fighters.

TBEAR
01-27-2010, 01:57 PM
100% agree. I see overrated as someone with a lot of hype but never lives up to it. Winning a title means you lived up to your hype. Bisping makes a lot of sense on this list I personally think Josh Barnett is the most overrated fighter to ever fight. I know he was "champion" but does it really count if the title is literally stripped away before you can defend it once. I mean the guys best win is a split decision victory over Big Nog, in a fight a lot of people think (including myself) Big Nog won. Then Big Nog came back and beat him in the rematch anyway.

agreed:dancingsmile:

Donny77
01-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I appreciate the work u put into this, but I'm not too sure i agree. Get your stats right, Rich has 5 losses and while he may have lost to A Silva twice and Vitor, the Hendo fight was very close. The UFC is a business and they have to market some fighters based on that. And with Clay, he's never been overhyped in my opinion. He's been marketed accuaratley based on how he fights, explosive and energetic. He's never been touted as a title contender but as a dude that will go 15 mins at a insane pace.
I do agree with Cung and Kimbo ,and The Count to a lesser extent. Simpily because he always seems to improve from his losses and the Kang performance was great!