PDA

View Full Version : "Wand" or "Vand"?

xrjxarsonx
02-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Super noob question, no better place to ask than this.

We all know Wanderlei Silva is pronounced Vanderlei, but what about the short forms?

I've always pronounced it "Vandy" or "Team Vand", but last night Im pretty sure Joe called him "Wandy". He also may have said his former Chute Boxe trainer came up to the "Team Wand Gym" to help him train.

How does everybody else use his nick names? Do you still call him "Wandy" knowing the full version is pronounced with a "V"?

TBEAR
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Yes it is Wandy.. in pourtguse a W is said like a V

Pasha K
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
I always pronounce it like Wandy, not Vandy.

joeyP
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I do recall in an interview with Wanderlei that the pronunciation of his name is Wanderlei. There is no V

snakebite
03-04-2010, 03:58 AM
I dont know about this because in the last countdown wanderleis manager reffered to there team as "vand" fight team. I wondered the same thing and to me his manager saying that answered the question.

Y2JUBAE
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I think it can be either. You say either one and everyone knows who you are talking about. Only one Wandy/vandy!

jukon
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
What TBear said. It is written Wand, pronounced like Vand.

joeyP
03-07-2010, 11:47 PM
According to the Axe Murderer himself it's pronounced Wanderlei. not Vanderlei

Pasha K
03-08-2010, 04:00 AM

Provide a source or you are banned LOL (just kidding)

Xanatos
03-08-2010, 04:03 AM

I believe he just does this to americanize himself a little. the casuals say wanderlai cause thats how its spelled, so he speaks it like that not to confuse the masses

joeyP
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
I believe he just does this to americanize himself a little. the casuals say wanderlai cause thats how its spelled, so he speaks it like that not to confuse the masses

why would he do that? That makes absolutely no sense.

SWIFTboy
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I never even thought about it, but looking back I definitely pronounced it 'Van-duh-lay' but in short form said 'Wand'.

Though, I must admit I don't know if I've ever actually said 'Wand' or 'Wandy' out loud, or just said it like that in my head when reading it.

Haha I like the question though. A noobie but a goodie.

TheKidInside
03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
okay when they were having that collage of fighters and trainers giving their support to Wand before his bisping fight they ALL said Vanderlei LOL