PDA

View Full Version : Should the UFC have an open weight tournament, and who should be in it?

snakebite
02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
This is a 2 part thread. The first part is would you guys be interested in a UFC open weight tournament? Do you think the UFC should have one and would it do any good for the UFC? The next part is, even if you are against the idea, which 8 UFC fighters would you like to see compete in the tournament? Remember size is not everything. jiu-jitsu can work wonders for someone with a size disadvantage. Also for the most part littler guys would make up for power with speed. Oh and everyone has to fight, no friends BS

TBEAR
02-21-2010, 03:59 PM
For the first part, NO the UFC should not have a openwieght turney. Because Lets say Carwin and BJ got matched up. Bj is the better fighter but he could not handle the 8 inch reach prob plus the power prob plus if Carwin got on top it would be over.

Size is a mutherfucker.......lol

next part if it, the UFC (current roster)happened my 8 would be......

Machida
Anderson
Brock ( i hate this but he is in it)
Cain
Carwin
BJ ( got to love the dude)
Mir
and GSP

Just my thoughts and trying to fair by weightclass

TUFGUY
02-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't think it would be a good thing for the UFC to have an openweight tournament. I'm sure there would be a lot of backlash from people who hate MMA and it wouldn't really prove that much as far as who is better because the big guys have a huge advantage. If they were to have one however, I would want to see BJ, GSP, Thiago Alves, Anderson Silva, Couture, Rampage, Lesnar and Mir.

Mac
02-21-2010, 04:05 PM
No.

TBEAR
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
No.

i said it earlier NO is the correct answer, but Mac play along who would be your 8

Now i just want to know??????

Sakara=Excitement
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Not at all. Why would they do this and who would it benifit? What would the winner get?

snakebite
02-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Not at all. Why would they do this and who would it benifit? What would the winner get?

to see who is really really the best and also the winner gets say 2 million for winning.

JustScrap
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Hell, why not.

I'd say no, for the same reasons others are saying. But my eight would be...

Anderson
Machida
Rampage
GSP
BJ Penn
Lesnar
Liddell
Mir

notBJpenn
02-21-2010, 09:07 PM

A hand made quilt sewn by Dana himself.

I vote No.

I would go with....

Never mind I just realized how bad of idea this is, there is no way this could be competative save for a few fights. The quality and skill of fighters these days would mean the size would play such a huge factor when it comes to the HW's. Bj could win it if it was a open up to 205 tournament.

willpunisher
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
it sucks having open weight tournaments now a days because we have come a long way since UFC 1. Everyone has evolved.
i heard that Mir is walking around at 295. how can you put Mir vs BJ? its insane having 100 pounds on a guy.
but this is who i would have.

anderson
gsp
bj
mir
machida
shogun
fitch
mousasi(even though he is not in the UFC yet)

joeyP
02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
it sucks having open weight tournaments now a days because we have come a long way since UFC 1. Everyone has evolved.
i heard that Mir is walking around at 295. how can you put Mir vs BJ? its insane having 100 pounds on a guy.
but this is who i would have.

anderson
gsp
bj
mir
machida
shogun
fitch
mousasi(even though he is not in the UFC yet)

Where did you hear Mir is that huge? that's insane!

rivethead
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
^^ it's an internet rumor that has unfortunate legs, but no basis.

to see who is really really the best and also the winner gets say 2 million for winning.

It wouldn't prove who is "really really the best" and would completely confuse the already-confused pound for pound nonsense.

It's not a good idea, specifically in the UFC where they deliberately shy away from rankings so they're free to manipulate marketing and do matchups they feel will make them money.

rh

joeyP
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
^^ it's an internet rumor that has unfortunate legs, but no basis.

rh

I was quite sure he was around 275, since he came into the Kongo fight at 265. But 295 is a little too hard to believe

flashbang
02-22-2010, 04:00 PM
In no way would this be a good idea. It would prove nothing if someone the size of Brock lays on top of someone the size of Penn and does some G&P.

kalebarker
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
1. No
2. Nog, Brock, Cain, Mir, Carwin, Dos Santos, Crocop, Gonzaga, Struve, Machida, A Silva, Shogun, Page, Randy, Kongo, Duffee

Now that I look at that list I would have to reconsider my answer to the first question.

gersb260
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Only if it were divided into two tournaments; 205 and under, and 206 and up. The larger LHWs such as Tito, Forrest, or Rampage would compete in the HW bracket while some of the smaller LHWs such as Machida or Shogun would be in the 205 and under bracket.

206+: Lesnar, Mir, Carwin, JDS, Cain, Tito, Rampage, Randy

205: BJ, Kenny, GSP, Alves, Anderson, Wandy, Shogun, Machida,