PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody give Hardy a chance?

flashbang
02-23-2010, 03:48 AM
Does anybody give Dan Hardy any chance of winning against GSP? I don't think he should even have a the title shot, and it is going to be very obvious when the fight starts that he is not on the same level as GSP. Just thought I would get some other thoughts on it.

Tenacious_Thunder
02-23-2010, 03:58 AM
I agree that he probably did not deserve a title shot....
But in MMA, anything can happen. People are giving Hardy more of a chance than people gave Serra on gsp, and we all know what happened.
If someone is going to beat gsp, it is going to be an agressive striker that can take a hit. Hardy may not be that guy, but he has more than a punchers chance, but still not likely.....

TBEAR
02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Hardy has a chance but it not likly IMO

Smaciman
02-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm giving him a chance.
Providing he pushes GSP, and keeps the fight where he wants it to be (GSP on the cage getting punched) then he obviously has a chance.

evergleam
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
I think really anyone has a "chance" to win any fight. The chances of him winning this fight are very slim though, for obvious reasons.

As many have mentioned (including me), Hardy's biggest weapon is his punching power and quickness. If he can land a few punches just like Serra did then we could have an upset.

GSP is probably going to use the same gameplan that he used against Serra the second time around. He learned his lesson the first fight and I hope that is fresh in his mind when he fights Hardy.

cnlclink
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I give Hardy a chance based on the same things that people have said already. However St. Pierre did drop Alves and from what I can tell we don't know what Hardy's chin is like at all so who knows, Hardy may end up not wanting a piece of the stand up at all. I am thinking and going out on a limb here that we are going to see a gameplan similar to Velasques vs Big Nog. I personally don't care how he wins but I hope he wins and proves to everyone that Hardy does not deserve the title shot.

If Hardy loses I want to see him fight Kampman.

KevoOnTheRadio
02-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm picking him to win. Why not? GSP does 100 things better then Hardy. Everybody in the world and every WW in the UFC is saying Hard doesn't deserve the shot, and he's got no chance. I think he's gonna take all that motivation and send it from his fist to GSP's chin. Callin it now. Hardy by KO R1.

Masscore
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
I just can't buy into a guy that barely beat Marcus Davis beating GSP. Davis took him down several times, GSP should be able to do it with a lot more ease. Of course anything can happen, but I just do not see it. I am hoping we see the old, go for the kill GSP and see him TKO Hardy in the first or second.

IceCold48
02-25-2010, 11:53 PM
paulo thiago and paul daley are both better fighters then him imo and they haven't received title shots yet neither has martin kampman, hardys just getting thrown to the wolves so gsp can be active while his next opponent builds his challenger builds his fights resume so they can market it

Pasha K
02-26-2010, 03:59 AM
To be honest I dont give him a chance. For me GSP is better in every aspect.

Xanatos
02-26-2010, 06:54 AM
paulo thiago and paul daley are both better fighters then him imo and they haven't received title shots yet neither has martin kampman, hardys just getting thrown to the wolves so gsp can be active while his next opponent builds his challenger builds his fights resume so they can market it

I agree that Paulo thiago is a better fighter but he doesn't deserve a title shot over dan hardy, nor does paul daley. Kampmann would have had he not lost to Nate and then daley. He's driven himself down the list a few spots.

Dan Hardy is an enigma to me. He's got great stand-up, and an unpredictable one, good match-up standing up with st. pierre. If he can control the pace and stuff some take-downs he could catch georges by surprise. But I see St. Pierre coming out, pulling him to the mat and gringing out a decision victory yet again. that's the smart game plan, and st. pierre is a smart fighter.

jay-c
03-11-2010, 04:06 AM
No. I see this as an "easy" (on paper) fight for GSP to remind everyone of how dominant he is. Factor that with Spider Silva's return and also presumed easy victory and you have just a little more fuel to add to the fire of one of the superfights many of us hope to see. GSP vs. Anderson Silva.

Sakara=Excitement
03-11-2010, 05:33 AM
No.

QOTSA420
03-11-2010, 06:37 AM
about the same % of chances Jake Shields has of getting Knock Out of the year.

Daellusx
03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
When Serra/GSP I went down in Texas I had a chance to go see the fight in person. Stupid me kept saying that it was pointless to go because GSP was just going to beat the snot out of Serra. Well we all know how that turned out. Lesson learned? Everyone has a chance no matter how slim. So yes, I do think Hardy has a shot at beating GSP.

I think Hardy just needs to say F*** it and not give a damn about losing. If he goes in throwing bombs and not caring about being taken down then he "may" catch GSP.

Trojan Fight Club
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
i'm going with Hardy KO rd 1, he needs a fan. I think he's got top level striking and anyone has a puncher's chance so why not Hardy?

stavroche
03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
First I don't think GSP has a glass jaw. But I read some interesting posts, someone said GSP has fought harder and better strikers?? Who's that? I think Hardy is way better striker than Alves and BJ Penn (and I bet a pro boxer would agree) if that's who they are talking about, way more technical and boxing-like. Also referenced, Hardy has split decisions but did you see the fights, he was lazy at times, he wasn't unable to go for the kill. GSP has had some weak decisions as well. When I saw hardy fight I saw a guy that looked like he could have ended any of the decision fights if he thought he was in big trouble of losing a decision, with GSP he will have to fight all out, like he has never fought before.
When he wins tomorrow, I would just hope the millions of dumb asses who thinks Jesus/George St. Walk on Water Pierre is unbeatable shut the F up.
Also Paul Daley and Paulo Thiago better than Hardy, IMO, no fricken way, but they are both good with work needed.
Watch GSPs fights againt Jason Miller and Karo Parisyan, not so impressive, so that's comparible to Hardy and Swick, Gono and Davis, by the way Gono has a very impressive history if you know who's he fought, he was by far the best out of those three. He beat Gegard Mousasi.

mma #1 fan
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
any one who says no needs to watch more MMA IMO . with that said i think it comes down to what style of fight GSP is looking for . if he is going to try an bang with Dan well Dan has a dam good chance of winning if he wants to play the ground game GSP can make it look like hardy has no right to be in the same sport much less in the in a cage with GSP.

noahm
03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
GSP is one of the most complete guys out there. He also typically comes in larger than most of his competitions. He has a build that is perfectly suited for grappling, and a knack for controlling fighters very very well. There is not technique that is going to nullify that except maybe the Machida, elusive standup. The only real strategy I see here that could lead to a Hardy win is being elusive on the feet, and striking at full power. If it goes to the ground, it is over for Hardy. Elusive bombs is the only chance.

I really like Hardy, but GSP is awesome and a classy guy at that. Don't really care which way it goes. Probably rooting for Hardy a tiny bit.

KevoOnTheRadio
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Does anybody give Dan Hardy any chance of winning against GSP? I don't think he should even have a the title shot,

Everybody says he doesn't even deserve a shot. Someone tell me who, WHO deserved a shot more then Hardy did at that point in time?

and it is going to be very obvious when the fight starts that he is not on the same level as GSP. Just thought I would get some other thoughts on it

And when your done with that, tell me who really IS in his class?

I like Hardy in this fight. Why? Because everybody, EVERYBODY, is counting him out, and that can be huge motivation. Also, 9 times out of 10, GSP is bigger then his opponent at fight time. That won't be the case this time. I think he's got a chance, and a damn good one.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
03-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Everybody says he doesn't even deserve a shot. Someone tell me who, WHO deserved a shot more then Hardy did at that point in time?

Ummmm... a butcher, a baker or a candlestick maker!

In short, I think everybody of consequence at 170 is more qualified if you look at the stylistic matchup against GSP and the outright talent of others at 170 and their quality of competition of the potential challengers. We're taking a guy who barely squeeeeeeked by Marcus Davis and middle of the road fighters like Mike Swick throughout his career and now he's fighting the most dominant fighter in the sport. His standup is sloppy and is certainly not "tops" in MMA and the rest of his game is utterly av-er-age.

I'm gonna say Fitch's wins over Gono and Paulo Thiago is a respectable argument. Even Kos coming off the loss to Thiago, after winning against Trigg, has a more respectable skillset to at least challenge GSP. I also think Dana and Zuffa should've tried a lot harder to get Akiyama to try and make a cut to WW.

I'm seriously considering not even bothering with this card at the bar or ppv because I think it's going to be a ridiculous routing.

KevoOnTheRadio
03-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Ummmm... a butcher, a baker or a candlestick maker!

In short, I think everybody of consequence at 170 is more qualified if you look at the stylistic matchup against GSP and the outright talent of others at 170 and their quality of competition of the potential challengers. We're taking a guy who barely squeeeeeeked by Marcus Davis and middle of the road fighters like Mike Swick throughout his career and now he's fighting the most dominant fighter in the sport. His standup is sloppy and is certainly not "tops" in MMA and the rest of his game is utterly av-er-age.

I'm gonna say Fitch's wins over Gono and Paulo Thiago is a respectable argument. Even Kos coming off the loss to Thiago, after winning against Trigg, has a more respectable skillset to at least challenge GSP. I also think Dana and Zuffa should've tried a lot harder to get Akiyama to try and make a cut to WW.

I'm seriously considering not even bothering with this card at the bar or ppv because I think it's going to be a ridiculous routing.

You could make an argument for Fitch, but he had already been beaten badly by GSP, I believe he was 2-0 at that point. Nobody else at that point deserved a shot more then Hardy.

Kimbo> Rampage
03-27-2010, 01:18 PM
GSP's standup is highly overrated and his chin is suspect. He has the best takedowns in the game,VERY hard to sumit, and has great control and passing. No way in hell hardy submits gsp. Hardy cannot stop GSP's takedowns and will eventually be submitted or tko'ed. GSP is just a way better wrestler and far better on the ground. If GSP tries to stand with hardy for too long then yes i do give him a chance, but even at that i dont give hardy much of a chance of finishing GSP, he is going to be very cautious with his striking because he will be wary of the takedowns. GSP might land some good strikes like he has in his past fights, but it will just be because of Hardy's worry about the takedown, then he takes hardy down and finishes the fight.

The best GSP has ever looked striking was against Hughes. Hughes striking is laughable, and he could be picked apart by almost anyone standing.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
03-27-2010, 07:26 PM
GSP's standup is highly overrated and his chin is suspect. He has the best takedowns in the game,VERY hard to sumit, and has great control and passing. No way in hell hardy submits gsp. Hardy cannot stop GSP's takedowns and will eventually be submitted or tko'ed. GSP is just a way better wrestler and far better on the ground. If GSP tries to stand with hardy for too long then yes i do give him a chance, but even at that i dont give hardy much of a chance of finishing GSP, he is going to be very cautious with his striking because he will be wary of the takedowns. GSP might land some good strikes like he has in his past fights, but it will just be because of Hardy's worry about the takedown, then he takes hardy down and finishes the fight.

The best GSP has ever looked striking was against Hughes. Hughes striking is laughable, and he could be picked apart by almost anyone standing.

I don't know anybody who overrates GSP's standup, he's a GNP grappler more than anything no? And I keep hearing about this suspect chin, but how much do we really know about this huh? Rewatch the first Serra fight, which is the only time this so called suspect chin has ever been , and it was more a side of the head, behind the ear shot that lucked out. If Alves couldn't do anything in a five round battle with GSP and a torn groin. Hardy's donezies.

Lesnar_FTW
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I say no. GSP was able to have no problems in dispatching Alves who is bigger, stronger, and a better striker than Hardy is. Not to mention GSP pulled his groin in that match, has put on more weight, and is going to be even better now than he was then.