PDA

View Full Version : Frank Mir Apologizes for saying he's going to kill Lesnar.

TapOut27
02-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Courtesy of ufc.com

Dana White, UFC President, today made a public statement following the remarks Frank Mir made to a member of the media regarding UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar. In an interview with WXDX-FM Mir stated that he wanted Lesnar “to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries.”

“I was disappointed by Frank Mir’s comments," said White. "Frank’s been with the UFC a long time, he’s a two-time heavyweight champion and a commentator for the WEC. I think his emotions are running high right now, he has a big fight coming up next month and he’s still upset about his loss to Lesnar. He’s been talked to, he regrets what he said, and he won’t be saying anything like that again.”

“I would like to apologize to Brock Lesnar, his family, the UFC and the UFC fans for my stupid remarks,” said Mir. “I respect Brock, all the other fighters, and the sport of mixed martial arts. I’m sorry that I stepped out of line.”

maxp84z
02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
weak. be a man and stick by your words

notBJpenn
02-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Mir for pres!

Rambo
02-24-2010, 12:50 AM
weak. be a man and stick by your words

How can he? His boss told him to apologize. If he didn't, Mir's out of a job.

I'm sure Mir still wants him dead though. He's just being quiet about it now while putting on a charade.:grinsmile1:

Pasha K
02-24-2010, 12:54 AM
The problem is that he apologized only beacuse obviously Dana told him to do so, not because he is really sorry and realizes that only bullshit comes out of his mouth.

Its just a matter of time before we read some new idiocy told by Mir.

rivethead
02-24-2010, 01:12 AM
post a valid link or it's noobjacked. you have till midnight.

rh

maxp84z
02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
How can he? His boss told him to apologize. If he didn't, Mir's out of a job.

Or over to Strikeforce to face Fedor???

grazer420
02-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Mir is a hypocrite, who can't stand to be made like a cock. Yet, he is.

He preaches this, and that, about being a sportsman, then he goes and says this shit about a fellow practitioner. Now, the fact is comments like these got me into a lot of trouble at school, I faced the consequences even though I'm not, or ever have been a "role-model". I was never on TV, trying to get a sport into the mainstream conscienceness, but Frank Mir is, and all Dana can say is he's "disappointed". It's bullshit. Take Mir outta the fight with Carwin and replace him with Dos Santos.

It obviously won't happen, because for some reason Mir getting decimated by Lesnar for a third time (twice in a row) makes more sense fiscally.

Though, I'll throw my two cents in, and say I hope Carwin knocks Mir's jaw clean off, to the point where he bleeds out, and dies in his corner of the Octagon as he's attempting to crawl his way to rescue. And hopefully, too little, too late! *Fingers crossed* :D

Leucoethiops
02-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Though, I'll throw my two cents in, and say I hope Carwin knocks Mir's jaw clean off, to the point where he bleeds out, and dies in his corner of the Octagon as he's attempting to crawl his way to rescue. And hopefully, too little, too late! *Fingers crossed* :D

You better apologize to Frank Mir, Frank Mir's family, and the MMANews Forums. :D

rivethead
02-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Mir is a hypocrite, who can't stand to be made like a cock. Yet, he is.

He preaches this, and that, about being a sportsman, then he goes and says this shit about a fellow practitioner. Now, the fact is comments like these got me into a lot of trouble at school, I faced the consequences even though I'm not, or ever have been a "role-model". I was never on TV, trying to get a sport into the mainstream conscienceness, but Frank Mir is, and all Dana can say is he's "disappointed". It's bullshit. Take Mir outta the fight with Carwin and replace him with Dos Santos.

It obviously won't happen, because for some reason Mir getting decimated by Lesnar for a third time (twice in a row) makes more sense fiscally.

Regardless of the fact that I do not like Mir, he's a professional fighter. You, are not. Mir saying something stupid to hype a fight is regrettable, but not a lot can be done about it.

You saying something stupid--probably in a weak assed attempt at humor--is something I can do about. Look at the infraction as a simple illustration that we don't tolerate people wishing anyone was dead on this board. If it happens again, you're gone.

oh, and as for "Mir getting decimated by Lesnar for a third time (twice in a row)," you might have missed the ending of that first fight. You should go back and watch it, it might surprise you.

rh

Sakara=Excitement
02-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Leave the news posting to me boys.....

Frank Mir issues apology after Brock Lesnar death comments | MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/news/18060/frank-mir-issues-apology-after-brock-lesnar-death-comments.mma)

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/frank-mir-5.jpg

Frank Mir today issued an apology following an interview in which he said he wanted rival and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to be "the first person that dies due to octagon-related injuries."

The comments, which were made over the weekend to WXDX-FM, caused quick condemnation from an industry still trying to win mainstream acceptance.

In today's UFC.com release, UFC president Dana White stated he is "disappointed" by Mir's comments and that "he won't be saying anything like that again."

Mir, a longtime UFC fighter and former champ, was Lesnar's first opponent after the former WWE star signed with the UFC. Lesnar battered his opponent at the February 2008 fight before Mir secured a submission for the come-from-behind win. The trash-talk was plentiful prior to their July 2009 rematch, and it continued even after Lesnar scored a lopsided TKO win.

Although Mir has never bitten his tongue when it comes to Lesnar, many understandably thought he crossed a line when wishing death upon the current title-holder.

"I would like to apologize to Brock Lesnar, his family, the UFC and UFC fans for the stupid remarks," Mir stated. "I respect Brock, all the other fighters, and the sport of mixed martial arts. I'm sorry that I stepped out of line."

White assured it won't happen again.

"Frank's been with the UFC a long time, he's a two-time heavyweight champion and a commentator for the WEC," White stated. "I think his emotions are running high right now, he has a big fight coming up next month, and he's still upset about his loss to Lesnar. He's been talked to, he regrets what he said, and he won't be saying anything like that again."

Mir next fights at UFC 111 on March 27, when he meets Shane Carwin for an interim heavyweight title. Lesnar, sidelined since the second Mir fight due to a severe case of diverticulitis, is likely to face the winner in a title-unification bout. As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) recently reported, the fight is likely to take place at UFC 116 on July 3.

notBJpenn
02-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Sakra is hear to inspire us all!

I think Frank Mir made his original comments not cause he actually wants Lesnar dead or to hype the fight, but because he truly hates Brock.

I think he made this apology only because of pressure from other influences, but I do believe he is sorry for crossing the line on the whole murder thing, mainly because of negative PR.

IceCold48
02-24-2010, 02:58 AM
i know sakara just said to leave the news posting to him but i found this so hilarious

UFC President, Dana White has seemingly gone ballistic regarding the comments made by former heavyweight champion, Frank Mir towards Brock Lesnar, calling the Las Vegas native a f**king idiot.

Speaking on the Carmichael Dave show, Dana said:

“Mir is a [expletive] idiot! I have never heard something so unprofessional and idiotic in my life.”

It was later revealed by Mir’s wife, Jennifer, that he will be making a statement shortly about his comments.

“Frank will be making a statement this afternoon from the UFC headquarters. Frank is disturbed by the reaction to his comments regarding Brock Lesnar. Frank is a warrior and an ambassador for this sport. After his statement, he will not be speaking about Brock again, and will choose to instead focus on his next opponent, Shane Carwin.”

Sakara=Excitement
02-24-2010, 03:11 AM
I was listening to Jim Rome this morning on AM radio and even Jim Rome was talking about what Mir said. Rome shows MMA love though but completely bashed Mir's comments.

Lesnar_FTW
02-24-2010, 03:48 AM
Well it's obvious Dana made him apologize. I wonder what the repercussions would have been if he didn't.

To be honest, the comments add more intrigue to me. I hope Lesnar beats him again and I certainly hope he doesn't actually try to kill Lesnar or anyone else for that matter, but it's definitely got my attention. They should put it in promos if they do fight again to sell the fight. I can imagine Joe Rogan "Here you're talking about a guy who wants to break the other guy's neck and kill him!"

mmawolverine
02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
mir said what he said to the extent that he said it to get hype, he crossed the linebetween true sport and professionalism into the world of sports entertainment, a world that brock is well aware of, i dont think brock is losing any sleep over the remarks mir made, dana stepped up and made sure mir's brock obsession doesnt become pathological well done. mir needs to go back to focussing on himself and not brock hes not a want to be murder just shows how bad brock got to him in theor second fight, no surprise there. everybody can stop black listing mir now hes just trying to hurt brocks feelings unsuccessfully until they meet a third time, i happen to enjoy their rivalry very much they both have elevated the heavyweight division, believe it or not they both have indirectly helped eachother become better fighters course the real stars of the show are their wives.... and them sweet racks, make love not war, a public service announcement.

TBEAR
02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
i know sakara just said to leave the news posting to him but i found this so hilarious

UFC President, Dana White has seemingly gone ballistic regarding the comments made by former heavyweight champion, Frank Mir towards Brock Lesnar, calling the Las Vegas native a f**king idiot.

Speaking on the Carmichael Dave show, Dana said:

“Mir is a [expletive] idiot! I have never heard something so unprofessional and idiotic in my life.”

It was later revealed by Mir’s wife, Jennifer, that he will be making a statement shortly about his comments.

“Frank will be making a statement this afternoon from the UFC headquarters. Frank is disturbed by the reaction to his comments regarding Brock Lesnar. Frank is a warrior and an ambassador for this sport. After his statement, he will not be speaking about Brock again, and will choose to instead focus on his next opponent, Shane Carwin.”

I think it is funny everyone jumped all over Frank. Guys, we all know he is cocky and can be a dick. Brock was a cocky dick also after UFC 100 and not a good ambassador to the sport with the sponsor bashing and "going home to get on wife" shit (although kinda funny)

I guess my point is, all fighters have some drama. Daiz brother with there weed. Brock is cocky aswell as Mir, the list goes on and on. It just seems to me the Mir catches more shit for it.

The murder comment was way over the line , I agree. But is Frank talking anything less that what we should expect from him?

OOOO yeah and DANA called someone a fuckin Idoit LOL...look in the mirror big Pres

:deadhorse:

kabenjis
02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
"oh, and as for "Mir getting decimated by Lesnar for a third time (twice in a row)," you might have missed the ending of that first fight. You should go back and watch it, it might surprise you."

Not sticking up for him trying to be funny or wish death on anybody or anything like that....but after reading his post I'm pretty sure he's saying that Brock is going to destroy Mir in their 3rd fight (twice in a row)......not saying Brock destroyed him already twice in a row. But good looking out.

But Mir IS an idiot who wants to be able to say whatever he wants no matter how idiotic....then bash others for saying stupid things and being "bad role models for the sport".....Get a life Mir....hopefully AFTER Carwin takes you out of the title hunt.

JCVD
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Didn't Mir get some award for sportsmanship at the UFC 107 presser? I remember him talking shit to Kongo then Dana presenting him with the award, i thought it was pretty funny. Again not exactly the behavior of a true sportsman and martial artist which he always claims to be, more like the unprofessional behavior of a WWE entertainer that he claims Brock to be.

Saying it's just usually Mir shit talk is a load of crap, wishing death on someone to the media is going too far and honestly should he not be concentrating on the beast of a guy he's about to face. If this is a sign he's already thinking of the fight after Carwin, Carwin will smash him.

Pasha K
02-24-2010, 04:54 PM
To be honest I think he should consider go to WWE one day, at least as a GM of RAW. There he will talk a lot of shit and the crowd is going to cheer for him.