PDA

View Full Version : Finding a good school/gym.

M Stabs People
03-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Good afternoon,

After much thought i've decided to put myself back into training. I've been looking up local schools/gyms that are convenient for my schedule, but i'm starting to see things that worry me. The main thing being that if i go to certain schools i'm training with "One of the top competitors...... etc etc etc" Normally i'd take the time to investigate the claims myself, but some of the instructors at these schools/gyms have lists of achievements that are 2 pages long! So, i'd like to leave a link here of a gym i'm interested in and hope that someone who's been training or at least is familiar with MMA would be able to tell me based on what they see on the gym's site if this place seems to be legit. Of course i will actually go and check them out in person, what i'm really looking for is something i may have missed that might be considered a big red flag for me to stay away from the gym. Any all help would be appreciated! Here's the place:
Bucks County Kickboxing & Mixed Martial Arts - Home (http://www.worldmma.com/)

Thanks!

TBEAR
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Bucks County's Premier Muay Thai and MMA Academy! Voted the BEST of Bucks and Montgomery 2009!

Our goal at Nak Muay Gym is to help you to achieve your goals! What ever that may be. Whether it's to tone and sculpt your body and be in the best shape of your life, or to learn many varieties of proven and effective martial arts systems. We have a program that is designed for every individual.
Call us today! 215-622-6725
Beginners

At Nak Muay Gym, our specialty is working with beginners. The first step is to call or stop by. Then you will be asked to come in and observe one of our classes. We will then set up a free introductory lesson to get you familiar with the terms and basic movements.

In your first couple of classes you'll learn basic footwork and how to move properly. We'll also show you how to wrap your hands and how to punch properly so you don't hurt yourself. We'll go over some basic punches and kicks, and put a few combinations together. You will learn how to use the heavy bag, as well as the focus mitts.

If you desire even more special attention, we also offer private one on one sessions.

Regardless of your age, gender, experience level or athletic ability, all our programs are designed for you, the individual!

First things first this does not sound like MMA, it sounds like a MT gym, It does not mention Grappling or BJJ.

If you want to refine your striking than this is ok, but it DOES NOT list grappling which is a huge part of MMA. Start with that and pick what you want if it is MMA then you need something with grappling.

You also have to find what is a good fit for you.Some gyms like Jacksons work on the "family" approach and others like Chutebox bang out killers. That part is all up to yuo. Hope this helps some

M Stabs People
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
First things first this does not sound like MMA, it sounds like a MT gym, It does not mention Grappling or BJJ.

If you want to refine your striking than this is ok, but it DOES NOT list grappling which is a huge part of MMA. Start with that and pick what you want if it is MMA then you need something with grappling.

You also have to find what is a good fit for you.Some gyms like Jacksons work on the "family" approach and others like Chutebox bang out killers. That part is all up to yuo. Hope this helps some

Hey TBear! Thanks for the input, this gym does in fact have MMA and Kickboxing classes as well. I copied the following from the MMA section on their site: Bucks County Kickboxing & Mixed Martial Arts - MMA (http://www.worldmma.com/mma)

In our MMA program, our focus is mostly on grappling. You will learn a combination of Wrestling, Judo, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. This class compliments our "striking" program. Our MMA program is great for practical self defense, law enforcement, and competitive Mixed Martial Artists. Everybody is welcome to participate, from beginners to experts. As always, we train in a fun and safe learning environment!

Here's their info on kickboxing as well :
Bucks County Kickboxing & Mixed Martial Arts - Boxing/Kickboxing (http://www.worldmma.com/kickboxing)

In our Kickboxing/Boxing classes, our main focus is on
fitness, conditioning, and sculpting lean muscle mass. You will
improve on strength, endurance, flexibility, and muscle tone.
With our upbeat cardiovascular workout, you can burn over
900 calories in one hour! This is not your typical health club
kickboxing or taebo. You will be put through the paces of a pro
fighter. Wrapping your hands, jumping rope, shadow boxing,
learning proper footwork, body mechanics, punching and
kicking combinations all while learning a real and practical
self-defense. We don't punch air in our class! You will be
working on your own heavy bag, which is big part of
your resistance training.
Regardless of your gender, age, current fitness level and
abilities, we focus on instructing each individual as an
individual. It doesn't matter if your a fine tuned athlete, or
haven't ever worked out a day in your life, we help our students
to progress at their own pace. This gives everyone the
confidence to participate and achieve their goals.

I'm familiar with fighters from Chutebox, and that would be awesome! I was actually checking out Matt Serra's gyms since they are within driving range, but i'm really trying to stay closer to home if at all possible (i'm an hour away from both of his places). For personal reasons i don't want to join a gym that has a family approach. I hear what you're saying though, and i'll have a ton of questions when/if i go check them out.

TBEAR
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds good dude...always go with the gym that fits you best..Serras gym maybe pricy also but worht checking out