PDA

View Full Version : Couture vs Machida, @ LHW

dan the man 67
03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Who wins?

Fedorlei Gomipierre
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Machida's evasive style is so "ghost-like", that he often lays in wait until his foe makes the wrong move and then he snaps on them like a panther. However, from a technical standpoint, Randy Couture does not make many mistakes and could potentially work a gameplan where he slowly but surely breaks Lyoto down. Randy's boxing has gotten so crisp over the years, that I think he may be successful in nullifying Machida's point karate style by simply "out pointing him" and IF Randy is somehow able to track Machida down and work his glorious clinchgame, I think we could very well see Machida get grinded down.

Now, Machida can really uncork some shots and certainly isn't the underdog here, but by not being the aggressor against Couture, he's not applying the adequate pressure which has been a key to success when fighting Randy, for it's when he's on the ropes and unable to apply his gameplan where he's most vulnerable. If Machida's going to approach ths fight like he did the Shogun or Rashad fights, I feel he may just be alotting Randy enough time to pick his spots, score some valuable points and possibly gain a UD. Randy's style has always played perfectly into striker's weaknesses once he closes the gaps, but with Machida, I'd be curious to see how it plays out, because I see him reacting more than stalking.

Machida's style is really difficult to breakdown and say "THERE'S where he's exposed", but I think Randy has the tools to manipulate the fight to his advantage. Even at his age, I don't see him as too great the underdog and think that the longer this fight goes, the more points Randy will have scored. I see Randy boxing around Machida and going in for a clinch war in the later parts of the rounds to press Machida. I wouldn't be surprised if Randy tried some takedowns in Rds. 4 or 5 to score more points and the longer it goes, if Machida isn't winning on the cards, I could see him having to diviate from his gameplan and maybe try and win it, which could lead to a mistake.

I see this one going eerily like Randy's bout vs. Mo Smith. Randy via Rd. 5 UD.

Kimbo> Rampage
03-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I see this one going eerily like Randy's bout vs. Mo Smith. Randy via Rd. 5 UD.

While Maurice was one of the best strikers ever in mma, i see no similarities between that fight and couture-machida. Machida has a good ground game, excellent takedown defense, he keeps a distance so couture would have to engage to get in, and machida would make him pay. You do not have to go after couture to beat him. He lost the liddell and lesnar fights coming in engaging, and being countered. In the nogueria fight he got hurt in the exchanges when he came in. randy doesnt get him down, tries to close the distance to get a takedown or clinch and gets caught, then finished.

Machida 2nd round TKO

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
It could maybe be competitive if it was the couture that fought Gonzaga versus the Machida of the Shogun fight. Randy is like voldemort from Harry Potter now with his body all shriveled up and shit. His athleticism isn't there anymore and he says hes getting better every fight, but that's bull. He's looked worse every single fight since Gonzaga. Couture couldn't take Vera down worth a shit and you remember how easy Jon Jones threw around Vera. Yet, many strongly favor Machida over Jones - so why is this any different? Couture would get knocked out, his chin has gotten worse with old age. I think the only fight with Couture I could get interested in is with James Toney. Since they are both old and have contrasting styles it would be probably be a very one sided beating. Couture is a huge name in MMA and James is a very credible boxer. With that boxer vs MMA bullshit (even though I don't agree with the thought of comparing them in most aspects) it would make for a great hype surrounding the fight. This is a much better route for Randy, rather than feeding him guys with big names that he can beat until he gets a charity title shot coincidentally around the time when there's not top contenders, or they find a way to create an excuse for there not to be.

TBEAR
04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I will take Randy.

Randy is a master at his gameplan. Once he grabs Machida, I think he could dirty box him and with a few takedowns, win on points.

Kimbo> Rampage
04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Machida is a master at keeping distance. Couture is very slow compared to machida and machida has excellent takedown defense. i dont see him not being able to ko randy with a 3 or 5 round fight.

TBEAR
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
^^^agree that Machida has good TDD but Randy's TD are world class. Hard one to pick but I still think Randy by UD