PDA

View Full Version : Is Vera overrated?

Palma
12-02-2006, 02:09 AM
I like Brandon Vera because he is a well rounded MMA fighter and fights with the speed of a LW for a HW, but is he overrated? Most people here who know me, know me as an advent UFC fan over Pride, but Iíve always have admitted that Prides HWs outclass the UFC HWs. We havenít seen Vera fight anyone better then Frank Mir, and fans are starting to talk about Vera vs. Chuck. I would like to see him fight Arlovski or even Sylvia before considering a fight with Chuck.

Howie
12-02-2006, 03:09 AM
he's been impressive....i wouldnt say he's over rated but he has alot of hype surrounding him

Intellectual
12-02-2006, 04:02 AM
yea he has been impressive but i wouldn't put him in top 10. not a chance.

The Iceman
12-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Vera is very fast on his feet and is always looking for the "kill" I think that he will grow to be an outstanding fighter with many accomplishments but it is way too early to put him in the top 10 category

newman
12-04-2006, 06:43 PM
As much as I hate Tim Sylvia Vera isn't ready for a title shot. '' I hope he proves me wrong''

Malice
12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Vera belongs at 205.

Palma
12-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Vera belongs at 205.

Do you think he would be as good at 205? I think HW is week in the UFC and he may have a better chance of being "someone" in HW. Or is this a matter of Vera vs. Chuck?

Hypergit
12-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Isn't this forum for 'Ultimate Fighter'?

No, I think he is rated correctly by some as the next hw champ and maybe the next man to beat Chuck too, and under-rated by others who don't think that will happen. We'll find out soon enough though...

Palma
12-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Isn't this forum for 'Ultimate Fighter'?

No, I think he is rated correctly by some as the next hw champ and maybe the next man to beat Chuck too, and under-rated by others who don't think that will happen. We'll find out soon enough though...

Why yes it is Hypergit. Do you start all your post off this way in this forum since most threads here have to with the UFC more oftern the TUF, or do I always get the special treatment?

What basis do have to rate Vera as the next Champ either LHW or HW? I can't wait to see him fight someone who is actually good, but up until now he hasn't. Do think this because he has been so dominant?

BigBanda
12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
This prob should be in the General MMA Forum like Hypergit touched on but ohwell, no biggie. Anyways Vera is talented but too many ppl are quick to give him way too much credit way too soon. He still has not been truly tested yet. I think he has a bright future but some should just slow down some and wait to see some more fights from Vera first.

Palma
12-05-2006, 05:00 AM
This prob should be in the General MMA Forum like Hypergit touched on but ohwell, no biggie. Anyways Vera is talented but too many ppl are quick to give him way too much credit way too soon. He still has not been truly tested yet. I think he has a bright future but some should just slow down some and wait to see some more fights from Vera first.

Do you think he could beat Arlovsky? That is a match up I'd love to see.

Dominus
12-05-2006, 05:14 AM
I like Brandon Vera because he is a well rounded MMA fighter and fights with the speed of a LW for a HW, but is he overrated? Most people here who know me, know me as an advent UFC fan over Pride, but I’ve always have admitted that Prides HWs outclass the UFC HWs. We haven’t seen Vera fight anyone better then Frank Mir, and fans are starting to talk about Vera vs. Chuck. I would like to see him fight Arlovski or even Sylvia before considering a fight with Chuck.
He should really fight AA before he gets a title shot. It would be the natural progression to the top. He's got skills, and may be able to take the title now. I think he should take his time, so he a dominant champ with a long run..

dagreat1
12-05-2006, 09:04 AM
He should really fight AA before he gets a title shot. It would be the natural progression to the top. He's got skills, and may be able to take the title now. I think he should take his time, so he a dominant champ with a long run..

I think what the UFC will do is have Vera vs Sylvia right now with a very strong feeling that Vera will win the title (Vera had a huge smile on his face after watchign Sylvia vs Monson as if to say, this is goign to be my title very soon) and then they can setup an AA vs Vera for the title which would actually sell some tickets because trust me, there is nothing the UFC wants more than to have a main event LW division, WW, MW, LHW, and HW as he will do seperate PPV's for EACH weight class I promise you, regardless of how bad the undercards would be, because having each division main event worthy will give him another 4 PPV's per year.

I suspect that the UFC will try hard for some HW aquisitions in 07. pride is vulnerable without Fuji TV so the UFC can steal some fighters and both Fedor and Cro Cop both have only 1 fight left on their contracts. Cro Cop is one of the most exciting fighters in the world and the selling point.... HE SPEAKS VERY GOOD ENGLISH, IMO that is who the UFC will go after relentlessly. He would draw a huge fans base and would bring in some the hardcore PRIDE fans that don't order UFC PPV's.

BigBanda
12-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Do you think he could beat Arlovsky? That is a match up I'd love to see.
I'd love to see this match too but I'd be leaing more towards AA at this time. Then again I want to see how AA performs at the end of the month before making future assumptions of how he will do. I am a AA fan though and would love to see him with that title around his waist again sometime in 2007 which I think we will see.

Afro
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Vera has ADCC credentials, a brown belt in BJJ, and hes a good Muay Thai fighter.. I wouldnt consider him overrated, hes very well-rounded and skilled.. I think callin him a HW GSP is a little over the top cuz he doesnt have the physical skills of a GSP nor is has AS well-rounded, hes just a very good striker, pretty good at subs, but I Wouldnt put his wrestling skills in the same boat as GSP, nor his physical skills.

2mcgrath
12-11-2006, 12:56 AM
i dont think he is overrated,i think he will go far in the ufc

Dork8503
12-11-2006, 02:08 AM
Vera isnt over rated yes he needs a better test so far he has ran through the ufc fighters, now its time to face tim, now if he runs through him that would be great, i think vera has all the skills to beat tim, and as for aa vera first, no you cant really do that what happens if vera looses , aa isnt going to get a title shot so whats the point, vera beats tim , aa gets a chance seeing if he wins in this month, without vera taking tims belt, aa will not become champ or let alone have a title fight aslong as tim has the belt

Legend
12-11-2006, 03:27 AM
Only time will tell if Vera is overrated or not.

TheBonger
12-11-2006, 04:10 AM
With the amount of potential the kid has i think it is hard for him to be overrated. IMO he is being rushed alittle because of the current sad state of the UFC HW division. Also in the original post, the thread starter said his toughest competition being Frank Mir. I would say Assuerio, Eilers and Whitehead would all beat the current shell of a fighter known as Frank Mir.

Ares
12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't think he is overrated but there just are not enough challenging match ups in the UFC HW division. He will beat Tim and then I think a fight with Arlovski would be a great one to watch before he goes chasing after Chuckles.

Dork8503
12-12-2006, 04:24 AM
if he can beat aa, i dont see a problem with beating chuck, i mean aa has more power, but you again really cant compare 2 fighters to who they have beat and lost 2

Nate_Deezy
12-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I think Chuck might have a better chin than Arlovski though. Not to mention probably more accurate, though less powerful striking.

devildude
12-15-2006, 12:05 AM
vera isn't overrated, but he should drop to LW and fight chuck.

Dork8503
12-20-2006, 11:53 AM
i think after vera looses in hw he will drop down, i think he will be more of a force at lw

WBoilers
12-23-2006, 06:00 AM
Very Impressive...Just would probably be best at Light Heavy - Weight. Especially with Cro-Cop on his way into Heavy Weight Div.

FYI -- Bye Bye Silvia (Even though I am a fan )

Palma
12-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Very Impressive...Just would probably be best at Light Heavy - Weight. Especially with Cro-Cop on his way into Heavy Weight Div.

FYI -- Bye Bye Silvia (Even though I am a fan )

I think alot of Heay Weights that are close to 205 are starting to cut weight.

TeamPunishment
12-26-2006, 09:41 PM
I wouldnt exactly say that the pitbull is "overrated" but he just cant seem to show up for the big fight. ya get what im sayin? I mean hes a great fighter

icecount8
01-02-2007, 04:03 AM
He isn't over rated in the least bit, Vera is one of the most capable future stars in MMA, he is no fluke, no joke, and not over rated. My biggest issue is that i'm a big Liddell and Bisping fan (hence my forum name icecount) I know how bad Vera wants Chuck which i'd love to see but i would give Vera a better shot at competition for Chuck than almost any other light-heavy in the UFC. I would love to see a Bisping Liddell fight as well, many would laugh at that thinking The Count would have no shot, but he has a terrific take down defense, devestating flying knees, hard strikes, and seems to be able to endure ground and pound and submission tactics very very well, infact just the other day Schaffer had him in a desperate position and i truely had no worry, he has the aura like he can't lose, which of course he can, but i don't think UFC fans will see it often throughout his career.

Palma
01-05-2007, 01:14 AM
He isn't over rated in the least bit, Vera is one of the most capable future stars in MMA, he is no fluke, no joke, and not over rated. My biggest issue is that i'm a big Liddell and Bisping fan (hence my forum name icecount) I know how bad Vera wants Chuck which i'd love to see but i would give Vera a better shot at competition for Chuck than almost any other light-heavy in the UFC. I would love to see a Bisping Liddell fight as well, many would laugh at that thinking The Count would have no shot, but he has a terrific take down defense, devestating flying knees, hard strikes, and seems to be able to endure ground and pound and submission tactics very very well, infact just the other day Schaffer had him in a desperate position and i truely had no worry, he has the aura like he can't lose, which of course he can, but i don't think UFC fans will see it often throughout his career.

Where was his take down defense in his last fight? He looked horrible against the takedown. He has no wrestling skills what so ever.

00Fallon
01-13-2007, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see Vera fight Overeem.

Legend
01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Overrated? Only time will tell if he is or not.
Over hyped? IMO yes.

Dork8503
01-25-2007, 03:29 AM
i will agree on the over hyped part, looks like he is gone from ufc come his next fight or sept whatever one comes first, hopefully he will sign again with ufc after sitting on his ass for a long time, just sign 3 more fights to prove what he is and that he can draw then demand the big money