PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn back up to 170?

King Dominus
03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
I was watching Rogers Sportsnet "MMA Connected" last night and they were doing an interview with Dana White. Dana said that after the Edgar fight they would look at BJ going back up to fight a top WW contender. Then he also said that a GSP vs Penn 3 could happen. Dana said that BJ isn't the same guy that fought GSP the last time.

Could be interesting.

SWIFTboy
03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
I think BJ needs to win three fights to get another title shot. Two wouldn't be SO bad, as long as it's against (UFC) top 5 WW's and he dominates. Meaning Alves, Fitch, Kos, (maybe) Shields, or the like.

If GSP loses his belt they can do BJ vs GSP III anytime they want. However, I don't see GSP losing his WW strap anytime soon, and I think they want to keep that fight as a championship fight.

Edit: That being said, I could see BJ sticking around LW if the right fight comes up. If Gomi were to KO Florian in spectacular fashion, that could convince BJ to stick around for a Gomi rematch.
If a Florian rematch or Gray Maynard fight are the best the UFC has to offer, I see him going back to WW.

ckauffman28
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
if florian wins i say yes he will in the meantime have kenflo vs maynard in a number one contender fight. Gomi winning would set up the title match immediately.

I still think bj needs 3 wins to get title shot at ww, kos, fitch,and one other top ten contender would be great.

Dr. MMA
03-31-2010, 07:55 PM
If BJ beats Edgar, I'd like to see Gray at least get his shot before BJ moves up. Sure his fights haven't been the most exciting but he is undefeated, has 7 straight wins in the UFC (almost 8 with the emerson fight) and has beat tough LWs in Edgar, Diaz, Huerta and Miller. Whether or not he gets his ass kicked by BJ isn't the point, I think he at least deserves a shot to fight BJ for the strap.

I'm not a big Maynard fan by any means either, I just think his situation is turning into a Jon Fitch one.

KevoOnTheRadio
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
If BJ beats Edgar, I'd like to see Gray at least get his shot before BJ moves up. Sure his fights haven't been the most exciting but he is undefeated, has 7 straight wins in the UFC (almost 8 with the emerson fight) and has beat tough LWs in Edgar, Diaz, Huerta and Miller. Whether or not he gets his ass kicked by BJ isn't the point, I think he at least deserves a shot to fight BJ for the strap.

I'm not a big Maynard fan by any means either, I just think his situation is turning into a Jon Fitch one.

I agree with you on this, Maynard should get a shot at the title sooner rather then later. I think they will do Maynard vs. winner of KenFlo/Gomi, with winner getting the next shot at BJ. If BJ moves up permanent, then make it for the vacant title.

Kimbo> Rampage
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
there would be some interesting fights for bj at 170. Nobody at 155 can beat BJ and imo he is the 2nd ranked 170. He would get some tougher fights, but nobody at ww would beat him besides gsp.

King Dominus
03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
I could see it going like this.

If BJ beats Edgar, Hughes beats Gracie, then Dana could set up the rubber match. It wouldn't be a dangerous fight for BJ, but it would be against a fighter that Dana could still say is a top ten in the UFC WW division.

If BJ beats Hughes, then he moves back down to defend the title against Gomi/Florian/Maynard.

After he defends again, then they talk about Penn vs GSP 3.

Kimbo> Rampage
03-31-2010, 09:58 PM

If BJ beats Edgar, Hughes beats Gracie, then Dana could set up the rubber match. It wouldn't be a dangerous fight for BJ, but it would be against a fighter that Dana could still say is a top ten in the UFC WW division.

If BJ beats Hughes, then he moves back down to defend the title against Gomi/Florian/Maynard.

that does sound good. id love to see bj beat hughes. it woudlnt be anything like their 2nd fight. a possible rematch with kenny or gomi, and/or a fight with grey who deserved the shot over edgar, who he beat. And This fight needs to happen 2 years from now. BJ is better on the ground and striking. Bj has some of the best td defense but GSP's takedowns are now the best in mma. I would love to see Bj improve his already great td defense, (faster to defend the shot) and force GSP to stand with him and then KO gsp to win the WW title.

SWIFTboy
03-31-2010, 10:53 PM

I would like to see it, and think Gray deserves it. I don't think BJ is willing to stick around at LW for Gray though. I have a feeling Florian and Maynard could be fighting for the vacant title.

I agree with you on this, Maynard should get a shot at the title sooner rather then later. I think they will do Maynard vs. winner of KenFlo/Gomi, with winner getting the next shot at BJ. If BJ moves up permanent, then make it for the vacant title.

I don't know man. That would be shelving the champion, and I never like the idea of that. Unless he goes up to WW for one fight, then comes back. I think if he goes to WW it will be permenantly though.

I think he would need more than a win against Hughes to get another shot at the WW title. The biggest hurdle I see to Penn vs Hughes III happening is Hughes himself. He doesn't seem to want to fight the top WW's anymore. I don't say that as a criticism towards Hughes, but I think he aknowledges he's not in his prime and wants fights he thinks he has a good chance of winning. Moreover, I think he knows BJ would be a bad fight for him, despite winning the last one. I don't know if he'll want to give BJ the satisfaction of winning a rubber match, when he can just revel in having one their last match in such memorable fashion. especially when SOME PEOPLE don't even remember there WAS a first fight.

I would love to see Penn vs Hughes III, it would be a perfect way for BJ to jump back into the WW division, but I have my doubts as to whether it will happen.

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
There are so many fights for him at WW. Hughes or Serra would be a good start. Then a top contender such as Fitch or Alves. If he wins this and packs on lean muscle (not fat) at this weight class then he should get his rematch with George. BJ will make it more competitive but GSP would probably still win.

dexter
04-04-2010, 04:58 PM
I'd like to see Penn v Kos or Fitch - if he can't stop them taking him down, forget GSP, if he can Penn v GSP III.