PDA

View Full Version : GSP vs Vitor @185

BigJoe111
04-04-2010, 07:12 AM
With GSP being rumored to be thinking of going up there are some exciting matchups. I think that a matchup with the phenom would be great. SO who takes it if it happens, my gut says Vitor by KO in the second, but GSP has surprised me before.

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-04-2010, 07:18 AM
great fight idea bro...Vitor might be strong enough to defend the take downs and could easily catch George. But I go with GSP by decision.

stpierrecanada
04-04-2010, 07:30 AM
GSP would wrestle and wear him down for the first two rounds and Belfort would gas because of GSP's relentless pace and TKO GSP third round dominating performance IMO.

jukon
04-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Good match up. The question this poses is could Vitor knock GSP out before GSP lands a takedown? Not likely.
GSP by unanimous decision.

TBEAR
04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Vitor will clip GSP on a takedown attempt and go to sleep

Vitor KO RD 2

steve_44
04-16-2010, 03:02 PM
i gotta take vitor by ko, he learnt alot every time he lost to randy.

macewen
04-16-2010, 03:23 PM
I dont see Vitor beating gsp. He has trouble with wrestlers, ppl say he learned alot from fighting Randy, yet didnt learn enough to stop tito? Yeah GSP by UD in a 3 round fight. Stoppage in 5.

rivethead
04-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I dont see Vitor beating gsp. He has trouble with wrestlers, ppl say he learned alot from fighting Randy, yet didnt learn enough to stop tito? Yeah GSP by UD in a 3 round fight. Stoppage in 5.

Well, MMA math aside, there are a lot of factors you might consider.

First, they might have been referring to his training at Couture, not just the fights, or I might be reading into things.

Second, I thought Vitor won the Tito fight, but the performance by both fighters were close, and Vitor did more damage and came far closer to ending it than Tito did.

Third, Tito is an excellent wrestler, he might not have Georges' takedowns, but he's every bit as good a wrestler as GSP, if not better. Then, factor in that Tito is absolutely enormous compared to Vitor, and was still fighting close to peak form at that point. Comparing the pale shadow of Tito today to his performances at that point is just night and day. Now all that's left is a giant head and an empty soundbyte, but that would be a horrible misjudgement of his ability back in the day.

This fight also occurred at the worst period of Vitor's life: during the first year or so when his sister had been missing without a trace. Following his career, there is an obvious drop around here in Vitor's performance, but he still did enough in the first two rounds to win Tito fight, in my opinon.

Today; Vitor is every bit as explosive as Georges, with much better handspeed, better striking and the legitimate KO power that GSP lacks. He's also not a slouch on the ground. I don't doubt that GSP could take him down, but I just don't see Georges stopping him with the first successful takedown, or even controlling him for the entire fight. I think their groundgame is very competative. It would be interesting to see Georges on his back again, and Vitor has the potential to put him there.

I think Georges holds an obvious advantage in conditioning, and I believe he's still got some reach on Vitor [which would tell you the something about the physical advantages he employes at WW] but I think the match is very, very competative. Obviously Georges comes in with great plans from a great camp, but I think it's too early to tell how much Vitor has improved at XC. I do think that Georges is focusing some much-needed effort on his ground game [if he's going to be successful at MW, it's needed] and that just makes the fight more interesting.

In the end, I think Vitor has more ways to end the fight, but I think it's a fantastic matchup.

rh

Cody Redd MMA
04-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Vitor By KO or TKO

mmawolverine
04-27-2010, 04:33 AM
i dont doubt that gsp could get him down but i dont think he could keep him down and a flash ko during a scramble or during the takedown attempt would be very likely, i'll take vitor on this one

Fedorlei Gomipierre
04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
This is an interesting fight to analyze.

For Vitor, he's obviously got awesome standup for sure with serious speed in his hands and a big size advantage too to bully GSP on the feet. However, his TDD isn't terribly stunning and after a pretty nice weightcut down to MW, I'm not so sure Vitor can handle the pace and pressure GSP will throw at him and once he's taken down, I'd be worried if GSP could bump and grind Vitor into eventually gassing, because I've seen Vitor go into panic mode more than once and GSP will not relent and I doubt he'd make an error.

GSP is a pretty average to smaller end MW and isn't going to be killing guys as easily with his takedowns and while his standup is strong, in comparison Vitor's Mike fucking Tyson..... however GSP has a solid reach advantage and could work the distance long enough to secure a great shot, I see Vitor on his back.

Now, subs are pretty much a push, Vitor's a bjj blackbelt, but GSP's jits is very underrated and while he's criticized for not "finishing", I think Vitor off the bottom has a lot more than just elbows and fists to worry about and I don't see any way this fight ends with Vitor on top, so maybe the slightest edges to GSP there, but end game, it's the classic striker vs. wrestler, so what'll edge out what? Will Vitor be able to stand long enough to KO GSP given his size and striking advantage or will GSP GNP Vitor and push the pace into another stratusphere?

The X factor here may be this: Can Vitor psych GSP out? No. Can GSP pysch Vitor out? Hmmm?

All things considered, it's a REAL close one, however I can't really think of the last big game fight Vitor's had where he's fought somebody of GSP's caliber and really utilized his tools to his maximum capabilities, whereas GSP is always at the top of his game. Is that enough?

GSP via UD.

BigJoe111
05-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Dude that was a great analysis of the fight, I think that you also need to remember that there hasn't been a big fight that Vitor has been in for quite some time when he was at the weight he should be fighting at which is 185. I think that you were right when you called Vitor, Mike Fucking Tyson. Man has sick speed and even if he does panic it only takes one and GSP will get hit and I think that Vitor will pounce and KO him after a missed takedown by GSP.

rivethead
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
This is an interesting fight to analyze.

For Vitor, he's obviously got awesome standup for sure with serious speed in his hands and a big size advantage too to bully GSP on the feet. However, his TDD isn't terribly stunning and after a pretty nice weightcut down to MW, I'm not so sure Vitor can handle the pace and pressure GSP will throw at him and once he's taken down, I'd be worried if GSP could bump and grind Vitor into eventually gassing, because I've seen Vitor go into panic mode more than once and GSP will not relent and I doubt he'd make an error.

GSP is a pretty average to smaller end MW and isn't going to be killing guys as easily with his takedowns and while his standup is strong, in comparison Vitor's Mike fucking Tyson..... however GSP has a solid reach advantage and could work the distance long enough to secure a great shot, I see Vitor on his back.

Now, subs are pretty much a push, Vitor's a bjj blackbelt, but GSP's jits is very underrated and while he's criticized for not "finishing", I think Vitor off the bottom has a lot more than just elbows and fists to worry about and I don't see any way this fight ends with Vitor on top, so maybe the slightest edges to GSP there, but end game, it's the classic striker vs. wrestler, so what'll edge out what? Will Vitor be able to stand long enough to KO GSP given his size and striking advantage or will GSP GNP Vitor and push the pace into another stratusphere?

The X factor here may be this: Can Vitor psych GSP out? No. Can GSP pysch Vitor out? Hmmm?

All things considered, it's a REAL close one, however I can't really think of the last big game fight Vitor's had where he's fought somebody of GSP's caliber and really utilized his tools to his maximum capabilities, whereas GSP is always at the top of his game. Is that enough?

GSP via UD.

I have to disagree with much of this.

Vitor has been a blackbelt for something like 5 years longer than Georges, and his jits is lightyears above GSP's. Until the Hardy match, Georges had been focusing almost entirely on simply passing guard with only sporadic effective submission offense countered by obvious glaring errors. Vitor is very dangerous off the bottom, mixing striking and grappling with every bit of potential to sweep that sets up a great counter-point to Georges most effective tools, his ground and pound. I'd compare Vitor's groundgame to Georges' own standup: his most effective tool is his versitility and transitions, his opponents don't know what to expect.

Ground advantage is only slightly in Georges' favor, if that

Mentally, I think you're overlooking the resolution of the loss of Priscilla as well. Comparing the "panic mode" that he went into years ago would be like bringing up Georges' loss to Hughes and Serra.

Mental/emotional advantage, unable to be determined

Conditioning is also difficult to determine. Georges is a phenomenal athlete, and his conditioning at Welterweight is absolutely above reproach, but moving up to MW is potentially another concern. Vitor, on the other hand, has shown better conditioning at MW than he has at LHW or the catchweight. His coaching staff were disappointed in Zuffa's decision to fix the Franklin bout at 195, because it clearly favored Rich [who is more comfortable at that weight] but it worked out well. I don't think the cut would be a negative factor for Vitor, but it's too early to do more than guess what conditioning would be for either of them, in my opinion.

Conditioning advantage, unable to be determined

And finally, Georges' reach advantage won't be as glaring as it's been with other fights because a) it's significantly less than it usually is for Georges, with Vitor being used to overcoming reach advantage against better strikers than Georges; and b) Vitor's explosiveness and striking defense can do a lot to close the gap to land his own strikes. Factor in that Georges does not have legitimate KO power, and that Vitor has an excellent chin, and you realize Vitor can eat shots that he's unable to slip in order to land his own bombs.

Standing advantage is overwhelmingly in Vitor's favor

rh

joeyP
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I honestly see Vitor blitzing GSP and getting a TKO within the first 2 minutes

dexter
05-26-2010, 12:41 AM
GSP wouldn't stand with Hardy or Serra- there's no way on earth he would stand and trade for even a minute with Belfort! He would take him down (probably at will), and be unable to finish him because of Vitor's jiu-jitsu & size - GSP by unanimous decision.

pantomime horse
05-26-2010, 06:26 AM
I think GSP could take him down and keep him there. I wouldn't mind seeing someone take him out, but I don't think Vitor could catch him clean with a punch or a submission.

Masscore
05-26-2010, 06:43 AM
I think now that Vitor has moved down to MW its only a matter of time before he is considered one of the best P4P fighters in the world. In his last two fights he destroyed Lindland and Franklin in less then 4 minutes combined. And by the end of this year don't be too shocked if Vitor is wearing the MW gold.

At the end of the day GSP is an amazing fighter but Vitor is just too lethal for him. GSP might take Vitor down some and heck he might win a round or two but it would only be a matter of time before Vitor's superior boxing and hand speed found its mark and put GSP's lights out.

YukonJordan
05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Mentally I think GSP is just way too smart to let Vitor get off on him. He thrives on strikers moving forward. His jits is not "light years" behind Vitor's it's just different. The big thing factor for me is Vitor's cardio and energy. We know GSP can bring a high fight pace for 5 rounds nevermind 3. Vitor is a big question mark there. I picked GSP by TKO because I think Vitor would gas and GNP'ed but I wouldn't be surprised by a UD.

duffman83
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I think people are, to a degree, underestimating GSP's striking. He did not stand with Hardy, but he didn't have to. He's still (I believe) officially the most accurate striker in UFC history, and has only had trouble in the stand up game in two fights. This does mean that he is equal to Vitor; he certainly is not. But I do think he has the technical skill to keep Belfort from knocking him out until he gets his inevitable takedown. He might not be able to hold him down, but he will unleash at least some solid GnP. In the end, I see this ending similar to Penn/GSP I. Vitor punishing him on the feet, but not doing quite enough to get to a 10-8 round or KO, then GSP taking rounds two and three when Belfort's fatigue makes his TDD just a little less effective. Belfort's cardio may well be much better at MW, but even with the extra poundage GSP is a whole different animal.

Repenter
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
vitor could easily end it quickly by swinging for the fences against the takedowns, but the the henderson/belfort fight is what i keep going back to here. henderson bullied belfort around, took him down 600 times and easily kept control for a lipsided decision. if georges can successfully weather the first round (and the hardest of vitor's punches), and end up controlling the pace, i think he takes it.

Masscore
06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
vitor could easily end it quickly by swinging for the fences against the takedowns, but the the henderson/belfort fight is what i keep going back to here. henderson bullied belfort around, took him down 600 times and easily kept control for a lipsided decision. if georges can successfully weather the first round (and the hardest of vitor's punches), and end up controlling the pace, i think he takes it.

Two things you are overlooking.

A. Henderson is bigger then GSP and used his clinch game to take Vitor down. GSP's clinch game is no where near Hendo's and most of GSP's takedowns are from double legs. GSP would not be able to bully Vitor around in the clinch because he would be giving up a decent size and strength advantage.

B. That fight happened in 2006 and people need to take every Vitor fight from 2004-2007 with a grain of salt. Remember the guy was a mental wreck when his sister was missing. In the time his sister was missing he went 3-5. In the years since they know what has happened to his sister he is 5-0 with 3 first round T/KOs. Including beating Lindland and Franklin in less then 4 minutes combined. He has his head focused on fighting again and he is a completely different fighter then he was 4 years ago.

rivethead
06-08-2010, 10:52 PM
C. Henderson's chin is GRANITE. GSP does not have the glass jaw that his detractors believe, but Henderson has one of the better chins in combat sports.

rh