PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Silva speaks engllish!?!?!

Koscheck4Champ
04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I remember reading an interview with Chael Sonnen before his fight with Nate Marquardt in January. In that interview Chael was trash talking Anderson Silva, which I thought was to hype up a future fight, but that wasnt the case. Chael stated that Silva could speak perfect english and he was fooling us all because he hates the media. For the first time ever, at UFC 112 weigh-ins, I heard Anderson Silva speak perfect english to the crowd at Abu Dhabi. So Chael Sonnen wasnt making shit up like I thought previously. So what does everyone think about the Spider now? Anyone else shocked to hear him speak perfect english too?

TheKidInside
04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
LOL No, I always knew he spoke English for the longest time. and I do think it's a dick move to have Soares who comes off as a total tool speak and fight his verbal battles for him. It's OK when you just simply don't want to speak with the media because I agree that they are very annoying, but he also snubs his fans the same way.

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Chael says

roaddawg
04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Personally I dont care if he does or not. As long as he gives me what I pay to see im a happy camper.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I always thought he sounded like Elmo.

James Deuce
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah really, who cares. As long as he puts on exciting fights I don't care what he speaks.

RealFighter
04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
So really he was suppose to never learn english or are you looking for a reason to bash him?????

TheKidInside
04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
So really he was suppose to never learn english or are you looking for a reason to bash him?????

...so really you were never supposed to read and comrepehend...just scroll down and hit quick reply? there's a REASON we're tlaking about this, :confusedsmilie:

Leucoethiops
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
The fact that Anderson Silva chooses to speak in his native tongue instead of broken English, and the fact that it upsets people, is less telling of his character than it is of our western sense of entitlement...

lwbrewer
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
It makes it's much easier if you don't have to worry about the media. I think this is part of the problem with new people to the UFC why they don't perform to there past. As much as I hate soares it helps Anderson perform better. So be it

sproggy
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all if he couldn't speak english but purposely pretending you didn't comes off as a dick move.

TheKidInside
04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
:sadsong:
The fact that Anderson Silva chooses to speak in his native tongue instead of broken English, and the fact that it upsets people, is less telling of his character than it is of our western sense of entitlement...

except he speaks perfect English and tells his own fans he doesn't ;) so it says more about his attitude and hatred towards Americans then it does for our sense of entitlement...

Bloodbeard
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
UFC 77. Silva answered Rogan's questions through Ed Soares and then addresses the crowd in length with perfect english. Funny stuff.

KevoOnTheRadio
04-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Did not sound how I thought he would....I always figured he was from Jersey

gersb260
04-09-2010, 05:52 PM
it adds to his mystique

Xtremo
04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Chael Sonnen said Silva spoke Perfect english and at the press conference, Anderson did not sound perfect whatsoever...so we still don't know if he talks perfect english...So many people already knew he could talk some english, but not perfect english...I remember seeing him talk some english on Spike at the Spike Guy's Choice Awards when he won the Most Dangerous Man award...

RealFighter
04-09-2010, 06:42 PM
:sadsong:

except he speaks perfect English and tells his own fans he doesn't ;) so it says more about his attitude and hatred towards Americans then it does for our sense of entitlement...

First off hatred towards Americans really I dont see that. I see a fighter from another country that doesnt spend all day praticing how to speak another coutries language. Second perfect english lol come on unless you heard the same convo Chael heard I dont know when he spoke perfect English deff not 112 weigh ins or press meet cut it out have an opinion but back it with facts.

TheKidInside
04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
First off hatred towards Americans really I dont see that. I see a fighter from another country that doesnt spend all day praticing how to speak another coutries language. Second perfect english lol come on unless you heard the same convo Chael heard I dont know when he spoke perfect English deff not 112 weigh ins or press meet cut it out have an opinion but back it with facts.

right because the Nogs and Wandy practice English all day...and snubbing English speaking fans is not disdain towards them, sure. you got me.

RealFighter
04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
right because the Nogs and Wandy practice English all day...and snubbing English speaking fans is not disdain towards them, sure. you got me.

To be honest they dont speak perfect English either ,but to say a fighter from another country snubs English speaking fans because he doesnt speak perfect English is a wild assumption.Lets think outside the box for a second heres an assumption perhaps he doesnt speak perfect English an doesnt want to sound silly so he lets his translator slash manager do it for him hmmm hard concept to grasp. To be honest I wish wandy would have a translator sometimes lets be honest its really hard to understand him alot but im not attackin your opinion; just defending the 100 percent English crap Chael started I have alot of Hispanic friends that still struggle to speak perfect English real shit

Inventor
04-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't hold anything against him for not talking directly to the media. The media likes to blow things out of proportion and ask rude questions. I like to watch Anderson fight, and the rest is just icing on the cake.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Did not sound how I thought he would....I always figured he was from Jersey

Nah Kevo, you've confused him with Willpunisher....

beau420
04-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Look at a guy like GSP. I think he has more fans than he would if he had a translator.

I love making fun of his accent and hearing him speak can be embarrassing sometimes...but I think that he has more fans because of it....more so than if he just had a translator.

I find it cute the way he says words like pear-four-mence.

Some people like the effort. Especially people who do speak more than one language.

I'd have no problems with Anderson if he did the majority of his interviews in Portuguese but after fights, for the fans, he can't string together 2-5 English words? (he has once or twice, but the majority of the time he doesn't)

I remember Dana saying that if Anderson could speak English then he would be the most popular fighter in the world...probably more than a year ago....trying to garner empathy for him. I am sure he has probably improved his English for the past couple years, but it would be nice if he showed the fans his progression.

The UFC, like every other fight organization is not just a sport. It is entertainment too. If Anderson wants, he could have the biggest UFC contract, he could be the biggest draw....but I feel he choses not to be....not sure why.

I honestly could give a shit....I think the UFC should be a sport, but if I was Anderson's employer or even manager, I would be a little pissed...he should appear to be fighting and promoting the UFC for the fans, not for himself.

Not just sending Soares to every interview I don't want to do.

If you are fighting in another country, learn a few phrases and sayings.....look at Josh Barnett in Japan.

I am sure that, just like media reports say, Fedor can understand a lot of English. But in Fedor, I see that he just doesn't give a fuck...but appears humble everytime he speaks. If Fedor has another 2+ fights in the States...we better see him using some of the English he has picked up, otherwise....shame on him.

Fighters should be helping promote their fights....and all fighters should be trying to reach their fans by any means and helping sell their fights....not just show up and fight.

Kersed
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
"UFC 77. Silva answered Rogan's questions through Ed Soares and then addresses the crowd in length with perfect english. Funny stuff. "

YouTube - Anderson Silva Speaking Perfect English?? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DRd7uzLaPg)

Perfect english? I don't know about that...

beau420
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
"UFC 77. Silva answered Rogan's questions through Ed Soares and then addresses the crowd in length with perfect english. Funny stuff. "

YouTube - Anderson Silva Speaking Perfect English?? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DRd7uzLaPg)

UFC 77 - October 20, 2007.

Anderson has had 4 fights in the States and 1 in Canada since then. And that doesn't take into consideration that he gets to the fight probably a week to 4 days before the fight....and spends a few days after the fight in the States.

I have been to Hawaii once in my life and I know 3 words....I have been to Mexico, two or 3 times and I know a bunch of Spanish.

Fans appreciate the effort...even if it is broken. And I am sure that Anderson's English has improved since UFC 77....but hasn't demonstrated his improvement to the fans...and instead shy's away from using it at all.

I doubt anyone is suggesting that Anderson drop everything he is doing and get an English tutor and learn American before he ever fights in the States again...from the promoters stand point, he is not your ideal fighter to promote.

jody
04-09-2010, 07:56 PM
I challenge ANYONE on the board to explain to me exactly what the fuck is perfect english?

beau420
04-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I challenge ANYONE on the board to explain to me exactly what the fuck is perfect english?

Perfect English is not titling a thread using the word "engllish!?!?!"

There is no such thing as perfect English...English is a constantly evolving language....rules changing, meanings of words change.

I think you are reading too much into the word perfect.

I think perfect means that you can write you are bilingual on your resume...maybe one step before fluent.

U shut ur FACE
04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
UFC 77 - October 20, 2007.
I doubt anyone is suggesting that Anderson drop everything he is doing and get an English tutor and learn American before he ever fights in the States again...from the promoters stand point, he is not your ideal fighter to promote.

Lol, I think a good promoter is worrying less about the fact that he speaks broken English and much more about his fighting style and the fact that he's considered one of the best fighters in the world. I think to a lot of people, they could care less about his English and more about the excitement in his fights because hell, what are the highlight reels made of? Anderson KOing people or him talking about fights?

I guess my point is that any fighter that puts on winning and exciting fights is ideal to promote because they're selling fights...

Daellusx
04-09-2010, 08:09 PM
See that mountain? It's really just a mole hill....

beau420
04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Lol, I think a good promoter is worrying less about the fact that he speaks broken English and much more about his fighting style and the fact that he's considered one of the best fighters in the world. I think to a lot of people, they could care less about his English and more about the excitement in his fights because hell, what are the highlight reels made of? Anderson KOing people or him talking about fights?

I guess my point is that any fighter that puts on winning and exciting fights is ideal to promote because they're selling fights...

Chael Sonnen, he sells fights by talking. Tito Ortiz, he sells fights by talking. Even Ken Shamrock...same thing. It can go the other way for some guys. I agree, I think it should be about the sport and not about the entertainment.....but that is not a fact.

Talking shit, can help you get to the top quicker, get you fights you don't deserve because you can sell fights....that is why I think they are a promoters dream.....the promoter doesn't have to do all the work. The promoter doesn't have to tell the fans why so and so fighter is good.

In an ideal world, we just get to watch the best fighters take on the best fighters, but it doesn't work that way. And fighters like Tito or even Renzo Gracie wouldn't be getting paid as much money as they do.

jody
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
The term "perfect English"is quite ridiculous.Slang and ever changing dictionary allowances,not to mention English is spoken in many countries and is adapted for each,makes perfect English all the way impossible.

I don't give a shit if the guy was fucking mute.I do not watch mma for talking.Period.

^^I do agree on the talk to sell thing,totally.

U shut ur FACE
04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Chael Sonnen, he sells fights by talking. Tito Ortiz, he sells fights by talking. Even Ken Shamrock...same thing. It can go the other way for some guys. I agree, I think it should be about the sport and not about the entertainment.....but that is not a fact.

Talking shit, can help you get to the top quicker, get you fights you don't deserve because you can sell fights....that is why I think they are a promoters dream.....the promoter doesn't have to do all the work. The promoter doesn't have to tell the fans why so and so fighter is good.

In an ideal world, we just get to watch the best fighters take on the best fighters, but it doesn't work that way. And fighters like Tito or even Renzo Gracie wouldn't be getting paid as much money as they do.

Right but talking shit is different than speaking English, you can still talk shit in another language... I think I understand where you're coming from but IMO any promoter wouldn't need to worry about a quick climb to the top based around trash talking when you have a fighter on the scale that Anderson is at. I think Anderson can speak a universal language in the cage and he sells fights best that way.

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-09-2010, 08:35 PM
At the weigh-ins Silva spoke simple english

Bloodbeard
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Look at a guy like GSP. I think he has more fans than he would if he had a translator.

Fighters should be helping promote their fights....and all fighters should be trying to reach their fans by any means and helping sell their fights....not just show up and fight.

This blew my mind.

Yeah. Perfect enough.

I think perfect means that you can write you are bilingual on your resume...maybe one step before fluent.

Couldn't have said it better myself. IMO his english is good enough that I'd say that. It's about as good as my french is and I can say I'm bilingual.

Trustym2
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=U shut ur FACE;704203]Lol, I think a good promoter is worrying less about the fact that he speaks broken English and much more about his fighting style and the fact that he's considered one of the best fighters in the world. QUOTE]

I think you are confusing a promoter with a coach. A promoter's job would actually be getting them to speak english to get them more exposure. A coach would be worried just about the fighting.

Otomosix
04-09-2010, 09:16 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. It should be considered respectful to speak the host country's native language if you're going to fight there. And if you can but choose not to REPEATEDLY, you're being disrespectful out of deceit.

On the flip side of things, I think Americans (myself included) have been raised in an arrogant fashion in that we don't really push alternative language education (in Europe, it's typical that they learn 3-4 languages). But whatever (this really isn't the place for that argument).

Bottom line, Anderson Silva should show a little more respect for the host country fans.

willpunisher
04-09-2010, 09:17 PM
whats it to sonnen? so anderson doesn't like to speak english. so what?
there was an interview with fedor and he said he speak english very well but doesn't like to speak it either.

CanaanCreed
04-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Reason #999 of why Chael Sonnen is a prick. So what is Anderson doesn't speak english. So what if A. Silva shows disdain towards the media for not speaking english. What's it to you? Maybe, just maybe, Anderson isn't very confident regarding his english. So therefore he chooses not to butcher our language out of respect. Could that possibly be A reason? Could it possible be THE reason? I don't know, but what I do know is...so fucking what! Just fucking fight!

sproggy
04-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I am sure that, just like media reports say, Fedor can understand a lot of English. But in Fedor, I see that he just doesn't give a fuck...but appears humble everytime he speaks. If Fedor has another 2+ fights in the States...we better see him using some of the English he has picked up, otherwise....shame on him.

After fighting Brett they asked him if fighting in the cage was any different and he replied himself "No problem". Its a step!

U shut ur FACE
04-09-2010, 10:25 PM
I think you are confusing a promoter with a coach. A promoter's job would actually be getting them to speak english to get them more exposure. A coach would be worried just about the fighting.

A promoters job is promoting a fighter. Yes, knowing English can help but it is the promoters job to take what a fighter can do and present it to the public for appeal. If a fighter can fight, he's done most the selling for him because he puts on exciting fights and that would essentially promote itself. My whole contention is that worrying about a fighters English should come secondary in comparison to his style of fighting and if it draws fans to see him or her.

So no, i'm not confusing a promoter with a coach, a promoter takes what the coach has done (as exemplified through fights) and presents it to the public, then the public relations come secondary....

jay-c
04-09-2010, 10:40 PM
How about we agree to swap the word "perfect" for "fluent?"

No, I don't think Anderson speaks fluent English. Think about Machida's "If you have a dream" speech. That sounded rehearsed much like Anderson did at today's weigh-ins. And as has already been stated, who really gives a ----?

MetalHead75
04-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Personally I dont care if he does or not. As long as he gives me what I pay to see im a happy camper.

I always thought he sounded like Elmo.

I'm in agreement with both of these statements, especially the second one lol.

mma #1 fan
04-10-2010, 01:13 AM
See that mountain? It's really just a mole hill....

:laughing4: That may be the funnest thing I've read all week
Thank you :laughing4:
rep'ed

The Return Of......
04-10-2010, 01:23 AM
i read about half of the post so this might of already been covered, but silva has been speaking more and more english and has stated time and time again that he is learning the language and his english gets better ever time he does an interview.

and yes i see the mole hill. now lets kick it over as a group.

and even if he can speak perfect english and just doesnt when your a bad mother fucker you can pretty much do that

mattc25
04-10-2010, 02:43 AM
i read about half of the post so this might of already been covered, but silva has been speaking more and more english and has stated time and time again that he is learning the language and his english gets better ever time he does an interview.

and yes i see the mole hill. now lets kick it over as a group.

and even if he can speak perfect english and just doesnt when your a bad mother fucker you can pretty much do that...good post. I agree 100%. Wand is probably the most well known fighter from Brazil to the casual fan. His english used to terrible,it's a lot better now. Remember when he stepped into the octagon after Chuck beat Tito and said " I want to fuck Chuck ".....lol. My point being is Wand is popular because he is an exciting fighter and the same goes for Anderson. Bottom line.

....I can see the other side of the argument of how it may come across as disrespectful to fan's. I personally don't think it is even if he is hiding behind Soares.

Bloodbeard
04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
...good post. I agree 100%. Wand is probably the most well known fighter from Brazil to the casual fan. His english used to terrible,it's a lot better now. Remember when he stepped into the octagon after Chuck beat Tito and said " I want to fuck Chuck ".....lol. My point being is Wand is popular because he is an exciting fighter and the same goes for Anderson. Bottom line.

....I can see the other side of the argument of how it may come across as disrespectful to fan's. I personally don't think it is even if he is hiding behind Soares.

I think the point is if you can say 5 words in english, why wouldn't you? I mean Wand says "I want to fight Chuck" and conversely it's Ed Soares saying so and so isn't worthy of fighting Silva but what does he really think himself? If Silva destroy's Maia and comes on the mic after the fight and says "I want to fight Sonnen" then that fight would sell a lot better and really that's all he has to do but he basically refuses to do that sort of thing and saying it's because he doesn't want to deal with the media doesn't really make sense. It's not a secret that he speaks english so it's just weird. I love Fedor too but it's the same situation there. Just say 5 words! lol. It's not like I'm saying they have to or anything but it would be nice for the best fighters in world to say 5 words in english once in a while for show. Their legacy is already cemented as the best of all time. I don't think any MW is ever going to live up to Silva but if I was as talented as Silva I'd be hyping fights and raking in the big bucks like there's no tomorrow.

Someone told me once that Soares doesn't even really translate exactly what Silva is saying for the question's. More like Soares answering the question himself. I don't speak the language so I can't confirm that but I've definitely heard that from someone who does. If true... LAME!

mattc25
04-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I think the point is if you can say 5 words in english, why wouldn't you? I mean Wand says "I want to fight Chuck" and conversely it's Ed Soares saying so and so isn't worthy of fighting Silva but what does he really think himself? If Silva destroy's Maia and comes on the mic after the fight and says "I want to fight Sonnen" then that fight would sell a lot better and really that's all he has to do but he basically refuses to do that sort of thing and saying it's because he doesn't want to deal with the media doesn't really make sense. It's not a secret that he speaks english so it's just weird. I love Fedor too but it's the same situation there. Just say 5 words! lol. It's not like I'm saying they have to or anything but it would be nice for the best fighters in world to say 5 words in english once in a while for show. Their legacy is already cemented as the best of all time. I don't think any MW is ever going to live up to Silva but if I was as talented as Silva I'd be hyping fights and raking in the big bucks like there's no tomorrow.

Someone told me once that Soares doesn't even really translate exactly what Silva is saying for the question's. More like Soares answering the question himself. I don't speak the language so I can't confirm that but I've definitely heard that from someone who does. If true... LAME!...I definitely see your point and sometimes feel the same way......I would bet Soares says whatever the fuck he want's. You could tell more than ever in Anderson's post fight interview with Rogan. Soares was stumbling over his words left and right..... even his slimy ass was embarrassed.

Bloodbeard
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
...I definitely see your point and sometimes feel the same way......I would bet Soares says whatever the fuck he want's. You could tell more than ever in Anderson's post fight interview with Rogan. Soares was stumbling over his words left and right..... even his slimy ass was embarrassed.

Silva talked enough english last night to satisfy me in the prefight vid. I'll never complain about this again after that. lol. although Soares is still just as annoying. So slimy.