PDA

View Full Version : PBF would beat Margarito easy

Punk Ass
12-02-2006, 09:32 PM
It's only the 4th round of the Margarito-Clotty fight and I can tell Margarito couldn't beat PBF. In fact their isn't anyone in the WW division that can beat the man. It's really clear to me now.

Luis Cruz
12-02-2006, 10:21 PM
It's only the 4th round of the Margarito-Clotty fight and I can tell Margarito couldn't beat PBF. In fact their isn't anyone in the WW division that can beat the man. It's really clear to me now.

Don't judge the guy based on how he fights now for two reasons.

1) Styles make fights

2) No one wants to fight this guy and haven't wanted to in so long, it's VERY possible he's losing his motivation and his performance is showing it. Happens to a bunch of fighters, they don't get the big fights and they start to lose it but as soon as they get that big fight they finally have something to train for and be motivated about and they come 110%.

If you seen Maragarito fight in the past you wouldn't judge him on this, you'd know just how good he is. Would he win, who knows, maybe not but he'd give Floyd a fight. I'm ok now anyways, Floyd got Oscar so i can't blame him for taking the biggest name and payday instead, it's a perfect money and career move.

Punk Ass
12-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Don't judge the guy based on how he fights now for two reasons.

1) Styles make fights

2) No one wants to fight this guy and haven't wanted to in so long, it's VERY possible he's losing his motivation and his performance is showing it. Happens to a bunch of fighters, they don't get the big fights and they start to lose it but as soon as they get that big fight they finally have something to train for and be motivated about and they come 110%.

If you seen Maragarito fight in the past you wouldn't judge him on this, you'd know just how good he is. Would he win, who knows, maybe not but he'd give Floyd a fight. I'm ok now anyways, Floyd got Oscar so i can't blame him for taking the biggest name and payday instead, it's a perfect money and career move.

Yeh, and Oscar would most likely give him a better fight. I understand styles make fights, but I can't help but see PBF dance his way to a fairly easy victory. Margarito seems too slow to me.

Salvy_Mic
12-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Don't forget Margarito went into that fight with a sprained ankle, so considering he wasn't 100%, he won that fight fairly easily. Not only that, but he hadn't fought in 10 months, and that fight was what, like a round 1 annihilation, right? Thankfully, though, Bob Arum is pushing for an eventual Margarito/Cotto fight after they handle their mandatories (Paul Williams for Margarito and Oktay Urkal for Cotto), so Margarito may get his chance finally fight a big name. Not only that, but any Mexican vs. Puerto Rican fight is A-OK with me.

Luis Cruz
12-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Don't forget Margarito went into that fight with a sprained ankle, so considering he wasn't 100%, he won that fight fairly easily. Not only that, but he hadn't fought in 10 months, and that fight was what, like a round 1 annihilation, right? Thankfully, though, Bob Arum is pushing for an eventual Margarito/Cotto fight after they handle their mandatories (Paul Williams for Margarito and Oktay Urkal for Cotto), so Margarito may get his chance finally fight a big name. Not only that, but any Mexican vs. Puerto Rican fight is A-OK with me.

I know Cotto will get by Urkel but Maragarito will have his hands very full with Williams. That guy is too long and hits hard to be a WW. I don't know how he makes weight, eventually he'll have to move up. I see him being a MW in the near future. He can beat anyone in that division because of that size and power, but he's going to have to deal with a big experience factor when facing these guys. Maragarito is very smart and can give him a boxing lesson but he better come 100% or stay home until he is. Cotto is going to be VERY hard to beat here, time to unify those titles again. I wish Hatton would move his ass back up and fight Cotto, he'd take a beating that's long overdue. It was a dangerous fight for Cotto at 140 but at 147 where he's comfortable and Hatton obviously wasn't, it'd be a whole different story, but obviously he knows this which is why he's back at 140.

Punk Ass
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM

That Joshua Clottey fight was far from easy! If Clottey never hurt his hand he would of beaten Margarito IMO. That spained ankle thing is an excuse and he said he healed from it. I've had sprained ankles 100s of times and after about a week it's good as new. Not to mention Basketball Players play with sprained ankles all the time. anywayz! It's not the foot work that was slow, his hand speed is terrible. He punches in slow motion. He has very good basic skills but against a blazing fast fighter like PBF or tall very talented fighter like Paul Williams, he would lose.

Salvy_Mic
12-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Arturo Gatti broke his hand in nearly every single fight he was in....and managed to win most of them. Margarito looked rusty, like I said, he's been inactive for the last 10 months, and unless you're Oscar De La Hoya, it's difficult to fight well after a layoff like that. But this is one fight, and Margarito is allowed to have merely acceptable performances once in a blue moon. Even Oscar has had performances like that, and still won. I still say Margarito is one of the top 3 fighters at welterweight right now, him, Cotto, and Mayweather. He's hungry, he's been ducked, and he's dangerous.

billbrasky
12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
No way Margarito gets past Williams in the mandatory...Williams TKO 5

Punk Ass
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM

exactly

Luis Cruz
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM

TKO in 5, no. lol He might get beatup the first few cause he's slow in all his fights in those rounds BUT he WILL NOT get ko'd that early in the fight if at all. I seen Williams look vulnurable against lesser fighters, so he's not invincible and his cardio hasn't really been tested yet (hasn't been taken the distance in a hard fought match) so don't jump to conclusions when talking about a seasoned vet like Margarito taking on a relative new comer (as far as this level of competiton) with a lot of potential but untested cardio/heart/will in Williams. These are all things he could face against Margarito and he would have to show how he fairs against adversity and some guys don't do well if they have never been in that position before and don't know what it feels like and against a guy like Margarito, that'll spell the end. Don't judge Margarito on one fight with Clottey, that's also a mistake.

billbrasky
12-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Im not judging Margarito on one fight...I just dont think he has been all that impressive during his title reign...his best win was against a still green cintron coming off a long layoff...i understand margarito was coming off a long layoff in this past fight and was banged up, I just have never been very impressed with his skill set. I think a fighter with a fighter with good hand speed will always give him problems and Williams has the speed, power, and size to give margarito or any other welterweight a ton of trouble...maybe round 5 was a little early in retrospect, but margarito definitley loses that fight by stoppage

Luis Cruz
12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Im not judging Margarito on one fight...I just dont think he has been all that impressive during his title reign...his best win was against a still green cintron coming off a long layoff...i understand margarito was coming off a long layoff in this past fight and was banged up, I just have never been very impressed with his skill set. I think a fighter with a fighter with good hand speed will always give him problems and Williams has the speed, power, and size to give margarito or any other welterweight a ton of trouble...maybe round 5 was a little early in retrospect, but margarito definitley loses that fight by stoppage

The guy isn't avoided for no reason. Judah wasn't looking for a fight with him before the others moved up, Mayweather had excuse after excuse, and so on. He beat Cintron then and he'd beat Cintron now (and believe me i was pissed when he manhandled him the first time). It just depends who he fights, i said earlier i believe he needs real good fighters to motivate him to come in 100% in this stage of his career. All those things you mentioned can give him problems but you leave out a big factor that overcomes a lot and that's experience. It always won't and i'm not even saying it will this time, but Williams is untested in deep waters and he'll be taken there with Margarito how he handles it will depend if he wins or now. If he aces that test then i agree Margarito loses this fight but i still don't think Williams will stop him. Williams likes to leave himself open to counters and Margarito is a good counter puncher and he'd have to be against a faster guy, he could always catch him and he has power too. No matter what happens i don't see Williams staying at 147 for no more than another year and a half tops. He's already lasted longer than the guy he's compared to a lot, Tommy Hearns. They were about the same size when Hearns was this age, maybe a little younger but he couldn't stay at WW much longer and neither will Williams. I think he can clean out the 154 division even easier anyways.

Let's not forget a little guy named Chavez Jr. whose floating around 147 unnoticed by most right now, that kid is for real he's not just a name, everyone will see this.

billbrasky
12-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Chavez Jr? I know hes only twenty and didnt have an amateur careerbut he has to step up level of comp eventually. Until he does that the jury is still out on the kid. Hes fought nothing but cans in 28 fights and got a gift desicion against a guy named Molina I think on the undercard of vargas mosley I. Somebody to watch out, even though hes fighting at 140 right now, is Demetrius Hopkins. The kid is a smooth boxer with increasing power in his recent fights. He also has decent bloodlines.

Luis Cruz
12-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Chavez Jr? I know hes only twenty and didnt have an amateur careerbut he has to step up level of comp eventually. Until he does that the jury is still out on the kid. Hes fought nothing but cans in 28 fights and got a gift desicion against a guy named Molina I think on the undercard of vargas mosley I. Somebody to watch out, even though hes fighting at 140 right now, is Demetrius Hopkins. The kid is a smooth boxer with increasing power in his recent fights. He also has decent bloodlines.

Yea, i'm judging him on what i see from him not his competition, you know when someone has the skills no matter who they fight. He's staying at this level because they're doing exactly what his dad did, pad his record and then he'll break out. His dad was like 40 or 45-0 when he took that first belt from Martinez. No one knew who the hell he was and thought he was just some mexican fighter with a padded record fighting in Mexico and low and behold he comes in and blows out this guy who was suppose to do the same thing to him because everyone knew him and seen how good he was, thus the legend begins. Same with his son, he fights a bunch of nobodies, pads his record, and then when they're all ready he'll step up. The only difference is this kid is bigger than his dad which could be even worse for opponents. Imagine a big Chavez (that's scary). JC did not get a gift, those scorecards were about right and they were close. Unless you mean the first fight which was a draw, that was a very close and good test fight for Chavez this early. And yes he is 20 which makes him even scarier that he has skills like he has already.

Hopkins had one really good KO, other than that he has not really impressed me outside of being a better than average boxer. To me he doesn't have that 'it' factor to be a superstar, Chavez does. And it's not just the name he is that good. Look at his fights, they speak for themselves the way he moves, reacts, swings, and lands. Give Chanvez another couple years and i assure everyone he will start to climb up the ranks quickly. The only problem he has is since his dad paved the way he won't come in unnoticed like his dad did so people will be watching and studying him.

Matt Boone
12-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Margarito = overrated. He's a bad style match up for certain top guys, and wouldn't bring the money less dangerous guys would - since that weight range is so fucking stacked. People make it sound like they're afraid of him, wrong. People have fear about style match ups, everyone gets scared in boxing. But it's risk-reward. Mayweather isn't going to risk fighting Margarito for $10 million when he can fight De La Hoya for $30 million - or whatever the numbers were. He's in jeapordy of losing either fight, but which pays more? Boxing die-hards might respect Mayweather more for a Margarito win, but which makes him a bigger star - something Mayweather has always wanted, and more money? I know it's not an issue of DLH over Margarito, but that's the latest example - and there's always been some prior to it. Baldomir was belts, Gatti was money/superstardom/belts. Mayweather isn't ducking Margarito.

leelandk
12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't know that many fighters are ducking Margarito, I think he is bidding himself out of the big fights.