PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo cut from UFC

lordpyro
05-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Kimbo Slice has been diced out of the UFC.

Has Kimbo's career tapped out?

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that the popular MMA fighter was cut by the organization. The news comes a day after Slice lost in a second-round TKO to former NFL lineman Matt Mitrione at UFC 113.

The move wasn't a surprise after remarks from White following the bout on Saturday night.

"That's probably Kimbo's last fight in the UFC," White said. "I got nothing but respect for him."

Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, first gained attention when clips of him street fighting hit the Internet. He was signed by EliteXC in 2007 and fought for the organization until it declared bankrupcy in 2008.

He also made an appearance on UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweight" reality show.

Slice won in his debut with the UFC at The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale in a 215 lb. catchweight battle against Houston Alexander. His second UFC fight was Saturday's loss to Mitrione. It was his first -- and only -- heavyweight fight in the UFC.

UFC star Kimbo Slice gets the ax after dismal fight - News - FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/ufc-star-kimbo-slice-gets-the-ax-after-dismal-fight-050910?GT1=39002)

kickass32
05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Kimbo is too small for a heavyweight, and not sure whether he could make the cut to 205....he might be in "Cruiserweight" limbo.
Kimbo's knees, and lack of cardio (the 2 might be related)are the biggest reasons he can't succeed in MMA.

One-Way
05-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I would be lying if I said that I wasnt' happy with the cut. I don't think that Kimbo is good for the sport and is obviously not ready for the competition that is in the UFC. Mitrione did a great job this weekend but Kimbo look bad.
Kimbo as a person seems like a good guy and I wish him luck but I hope he retires from the sport.

Pasha K
05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Well to be honest I am glad the KImbo hype is all over.
IMO he never deserved all the attention he had, he never deserved to receive 500 000 dollars for a 14 seconds KO loss, he never deserved to fight in UFC.

I sort of respect him because he tried such a difficult sport without any real background and did his best effort, but he is not a good MMA fighter.

I dont know what is next for him, Maybe SF is going to contact him and a make a Kimbo vs Herschel Walker in the near future.
Despite his loses I think that Kimbo would still make good ratings so if he wants to continue fighting in MMA, SF is the place for him.

dan the man 67
05-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Kimbo.

He should have never been in the UFC in the 1st place. I guess Dana felt that he got all that he could out of him, from a marketing standpoint.

Kimbo's just too old to just be starting to learn a ground game, and his boxing is nowhere near the caliber to be able to carry him in MMA on that alone.

Daellusx
05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Cant say i'm sad to see Kimbo go. He really wasnt ready for the UFC and his fight against a very green Mitrione showed that. Kimbo should probably go to the smaller shows or go to Japan and do some freakshow fights for money. Sapp vs Kimbo anyone?

I just hope to god that Strikeforce doesnt get the bright idea to sign Kimbo and have him fight fedor.

Pasha K
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
^^^^

If Fedor vs Kimbo happens I swear I will stop watching MMA the rest of my life and instead I will become a John Cena fan.

pdx_boxer503
05-11-2010, 06:15 AM
^^^^

If Fedor vs Kimbo happens I swear I will stop watching MMA the rest of my life and instead I will become a John Cena fan.

I'm with you. Kimbo was making good progress though, much more than I thought he would and he had some nice slams in the Mitrione fight. I would have liked to see him around for at least one more fight. I dont think he will ever fight for the UFC again but he'll make some good money in SF. Instead of letting Kimbo go to SF right away Dana signs him gives him two losses destroys the "kimbo" hype and sends him on his way. He definately still has drawing power though and he'll continue to make decent money wherever he goes for at least a year or two.

roaddawg
05-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Kimbo.

He should have never been in the UFC in the 1st place. I guess Dana felt that he got all that he could out of him, from a marketing standpoint.

Kimbo's just too old to just be starting to learn a ground game, and his boxing is nowhere near the caliber to be able to carry him in MMA on that alone.

Noone with his knees and cardio can do any better. It doesn't matter where he fights if hes getting kicked in the legs its a wrap. You cannot box without a base. If he has to fight hes better off trying out a sport where leg kicks won't be an issue.

Regardless I don't blame him one bit for chasing that paper. Anyone with a similiar opportunity would have done the same.

dan the man 67
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Noone with his knees and cardio can do any better. It doesn't matter where he fights if hes getting kicked in the legs its a wrap. You cannot box without a base. If he has to fight hes better off trying out a sport where leg kicks won't be an issue.

Regardless I don't blame him one bit for chasing that paper. Anyone with a similiar opportunity would have done the same.

I don't blame him either......why not go through a door that has been opened for you, and go as far as you can milk it? At the end of the day, you have to put food on your table, and a roof over your head. If his street fighting vids got him a call from an MMA promoter that promised him a decent payday, more power to him. Take it as far as you can.

AmmsAcad
05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Kimbo mainly needs more training hes built like a monster and could have gone further if he would have learned more about MMA but he got his shot and thats all anyone could ever ask for in life.

Eplexx
05-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Kimbo should go into boxing instead on mma.