PDA

View Full Version : A Year Removed: Revisiting Grease Gate-Penn Vs. St. Pierre 2

Koscheck4Champ
05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
A Year Removed: Revisiting Grease Gate-Penn Vs. St. Pierre 2 | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/394275-a-year-removed-revisiting-grease-gate-penn-vs-st-pierre-2)

January 31st 2009. The stage is set for the most anticipated Mixed Martial arts event to take place so far. The Event is UFC:94 Penn vs. St. Pierre 2. It is to take place in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Coming into this fight, Georges St. Pierre was the slight favorite. Many people were convinced that this fight would determine the pound for pound best fighter in the world.

BJ Penn fans thought that his boxing and world class ground game would be far too much for St. Pierre to handle. GSP fans thought that Gsp's size and wrestling would overwhelm BJ. Little did anyone know that this fight would turn out to be a huge black eye on the sport of MMA.

The fight got underway and was very evenly contested for the first round. Georges came out and looked for the takedown which BJ actually stuffed for pretty much the whole first round. The fight remained standing and the exchanges on the feet were very close, with most people feeling that GSP got out of the round slightly better. 10-9 GSP.

Then, All hell began to break loose.

In between rounds 1 and 2, the cornermen for St. Pierre were seen applying vaseline to his face, which was completely legal at the time. The NSAC saw something different. They saw GSP's cornermen apply vaseline to his back and shoulders. This was, and is completely illegal. BJ Penn had been warned by numerous fighters including Sean Sherk, Matt Hughes, and Kenny Florian to watch out for this, as there had been suspicions about GSP's legitimacy before this fight. BJ had in turn warned the NSAC who had caught GSP in the act.

The fighters came out for round two, and all of a sudden it was a different fight. GSP, somehow began to take BJ down at will and hold him there. He brutalized him on the ground. Numerous times BJ was seen trying to gain a high guard or a rubber guard--- and his legs just slid down GSP's back. GSP layed on BJ for 5 minutes and took round two. 20-18 GSP.

With the controversy brewing the two fighters fought round 3, which was again won easily on the ground by GSP. Who somehow continued to work over the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu world champion. Suspicious? You didn't know the half of it. 30-27 GSP.

Round 4 was much of the same story, the only difference being that after the round ended, Bj's corner threw in the towel. Fight Over. GSP by TKO in round 4.

All hell breaks loose. Dana White is seen screaming to Rashad Evans about GSP greasing. BJ Penn notifies the NSAC and attempts to get Georges St. Pierres fighters license revoked.

Suddenly, like termites they swarm, all over MMA's once White Knight. Multiple fighters, including Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Matt Hughes, and Sean Sherk all came out of the woodwork, and stated that when they fought GSP he had felt "slippery and greasy".

It appeared as though the world was crashing around St. Pierre's feet. A hearing was held and BJ Penn was adamant about saving the legitimacy of the sport.

Then as quickly as it started it was dropped. GSP got off the hook completely. BJ Penn was portrayed as the evil cry baby who was a sore loser. How can this be?

GSP was caught cheating, caught red-handed, and nothing was done about it. Go ahead, tell me Penn would have lost anyways, but cheating is cheating and it is ridiculous that there were no repercussions. How can a sport that is looking for legitimacy condone cheating by one of its champions as if this were professional wrestling?

This controversy marked a dark day in MMA history, and the subsequent cover-up and hush hush of the UFC was one of the greatest I have ever seen. To this day, almost nobody questions GSP's legitimacy, and everyone hates BJ Penn, though they can't quite seem to remember why....

So my question to you the MMA community is this, Why wasn't greasegate a bigger scandal than it was? When Barry Bonds and A-Rod were caught cheating was the Sports World not completely taken off its feet? Why doesn't GSP's cheating have a bigger impact on our sport.

Why did nobody care??

Tyreas
05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Ugh, I don't want to revisit it.

Rumble
05-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Really? Why did nobody care? That's all this forum was talking about for like 3 months after it happened. My question is this...why bring it up again? For the love of God man, why?

mattc25
05-20-2010, 09:22 PM
...my lord.

SickNasty
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Sounds like the article was written by a Penn fan.

Koscheck4Champ
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
This controversy marked a dark day in MMA history, and the subsequent cover-up and hush hush of the UFC was one of the greatest I have ever seen.

But is this comment true??

MetallicKnight3X
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
ugh.. come on man let this shit die. How bout discussing the upcoming Bellator fights tonight.. or Dream having a tourney and Mousassi might be a part of it..

The Return Of......
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
as a card carrying bj nutting hugging fan who even after defeat likes to think of bj as the p4p king ( i know i know) and one of the greatest of all time all i can say is..........

why????????

followed by......

let it go

kinda funny this is brought up by a big fan of gsps next opponent huh.....somebody already getting there excuse's ready???

jrcbk
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Doesn't really matter, does it? It's over and done, nothing changed, and bringing it up a year later only brings up the same mixed feelings until another "scandal"comes along.

KamikazePongtha
05-20-2010, 10:23 PM
ugh this again. i don't think it's that important because grease didn't punch BJ in the face on the feet or ground.

Bloodbeard
05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Lolololzz!

SinnerTim
05-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I love how everyone treats this like a rape victim, or Indiana Jones 4. "I don't want to talk about it again, pretend it never happened..." Reminds me of the New England Patriots, lol.

That said, I agree. Time to move on from this.

Qball1974
05-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Piss off! :deadhorse:

KevoOnTheRadio
05-21-2010, 01:32 PM
The UFC and MMA in general needs GSP a lot more then they need Penn. Thats why.

TheKidInside
05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
ugh this again. i don't think it's that important because grease didn't punch BJ in the face on the feet or ground.
this is one of most uninformed, ignorant and n00blar comments in the last few days...

let's see if I could squeeze some guard knowledge into you.

A. you pull guard and try to keep your opponent tied up, impossible WITH GREASE ON YOUR OPPONENT AS HE WILL SLIDE OUT.

B. as the article mentioned, BJ attempted both the high guard and mission control hoping to go for the chill dog. his legs EASILY slid off GSP's back.

now back to the point of the article, there's no way in hell I will ever let this go and this will taint (at least in my personal opinion) the legacy of GSP. When I was watching the fight and GSP took him down in R2 I screamed "Use the rubber guard!!!" as BJ Penn is notorious for having extreme flexibility. Joe always talks about how BJ could put both his legs behind his head without the use of his arms. And to my pleasure that's exactly what BJ attempts to do...except his legs slide off...then he does it again with a better hip torque...it happens again...YEAH OKAY!!!So, you're telling me a fighter or a jits practitioner could do that but can't pull of a simple (sic) rubber guard? NO SHOT!

Ramma
05-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Not really. The UFC didn't keep it hush hush. Dana addressed it publicly.

Hell, Dana even made a joke about it around the time last year's UFC game came out. He accused GSP of putting vaseline over his controller after GSP beat him in the game. That's not really trying to keep it hush hush.

And I can't believe this article was made as "A Year Removed" when they fought in January. About 4 or so months too late on that one

Saying nobody cared is ridiculous. It was talked about and consumed most MMA talk for a solid month.

Saying GSP was caught red-handed is also ridiculous because GSP wasn't putting it on himself.

AmmsAcad
05-24-2010, 01:46 AM
eh its not a big deal because its just not I wouldnt call this a scandel if it was legal back then. greasing is also used for pluging cuts on the face too this is what most of us used to use back then to close up wounds in the face