PDA

View Full Version : Rampage vs Evans.....biggest UFC non-title fight ever???

Koscheck4Champ
05-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I was just curious to what other people thought about this long awaited grudge match. We have waited much too long and I personally cant think of a 3-round fight that has had more anticipation and in the end the winner gets a title shot. To start it all off should be some intense weigh-ins on Friday but I need to know............ Is Rampage vs Evans the biggest UFC non-title fight ever??

PS - I saw a stat about Rampage's 3 longest layoffs from the octagon that I found interesting.

Before the Eastman fight, Rampage had 196 days off and looked rusty
Before the Griffin fight, Rampage had 301 days off and lost his belt
Before the Evans fight, Rampage will have had 448 days off.

Will Rampage's time off play a role in the fight???

snakebite
05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Im gonna go for me with the lidell vs wanderlei fight. Just because everyone wanted to see that fight for a long time. This fight witout the hype would just be a good main event.

GL Jeff
05-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I think ring rust will play a factor,and if Evans pushes for TD's I think it will all have a toll on Rampage. Frustration will set in and I could see him making a mistake.

This is going to be a big fight for sure. Biggest,not sure. Hughes vs. BJ was pretty big. I want to see Rashad win,I think he has the best chance against Rua, compared to Rampage.

willpunisher
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
bigger than wandy vs chuck? i dont think so
maybe if you decide that cuz of all the talking shit that happened.

Koscheck4Champ
05-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Hughes vs BJ - they fought twice, but both times they met were for the title.

Chuck vs Wandy was at the downside of both their careers, i dont agree!! Rampage and Evans both have alot more in the tank then those two did right before their fight a couple years back. Plus winner of this fight gets that title shot.

rivethead
05-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm noobjacking this because you're mistaking overhyped melodrama for actual impact.

That and the fact that I had to fix another of your double posts. The edit button is your friend.

rh

Koscheck4Champ
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm noobjacking this because you're mistaking overhyped melodrama for actual impact.

rh

you're hilarious rh, its a valid question....but its your world and I'm just living in it!!!

rivethead
05-27-2010, 12:46 AM
you're hilarious rh, its a valid question....but its your world and I'm just living in it!!!

In terms of impact, it won't have as big an impact as Griffin Bonnar.

In terms of genuine fan interest--as opposed to engulfing the media with you-act-stupid-because-you're-Black vs. you-act-stupid-because-you're-stupid insults to overhype it--it's not even close to Chuck/Wandi.

rh

roaddawg
05-27-2010, 02:08 AM
More importantly theres no gurantee that this fight will even live up to the hype. This fight has the potential to be fight of the night or it can be a disaster like Slice Vs Alexander.

We all know Rampage is coming in to fight. Will Rashad come in to bang, wrestle like he did with Thiago or dance like he did against Machida?

I highly doubt Greg Jackson wants Rashad to bang with Page and if he does then we could see a fight like Franklin vs Vitor (abrupt as fu#!)

The Return Of......
05-27-2010, 04:13 AM
no

chuck/wand
chuck/tito I
griffin/bonner
chuck/rampage I (it was huge ufc vs pride back in the day)

and thats just off the top of my head, im sure i could think of one or two more if i tried.

i think road dog actually has the right question. will it live up to the hype (like chuck/wandy) or be a wtf fight (kos/sanchez)

IceCold48
05-27-2010, 04:56 AM
wanderlei and chuck was bigger

so was bonnar griffin; not because it was the best fight ever and all that but that it was the TUF 1 finale first ever televised card and it was so huge for the sport. for those same reasons id put diego and ken-flo up there as well

Koscheck4Champ
05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
no

chuck/wand
chuck/tito I
griffin/bonner
chuck/rampage I (it was huge ufc vs pride back in the day)

and thats just off the top of my head, im sure i could think of one or two more if i tried.

chuck vs tito 1.....okay that was the a big fight.
chuck vs rampage......was a title fight

The Return Of......
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
chuck vs tito 1.....okay that was the a big fight.
chuck vs rampage......was a title fight

no it wasnt. chuck / rampage II was a title fight. chuck / rampage I was not. while chuck / rampage I happend outside of the ufc, it was seen as ufc vs pride and dana has even said on occassion that he sent chuck to japan to fight in the tourny with hopes of chuck/vandy in finals.

dana white was even over there with chuck. this was back when the ufc believed in the little thing called co promotion. this is also one of the little starting points to the ufc's non co promotion policy imo. we sent you chuck, you send us vandy only to have pride pull out.

again its not technically "ufc" but it was a pretty big fight imo that did involve the ufc and another promotion.