PDA

View Full Version : Someone made a good point on anothe forum that Fedor fell perfectly in Werdums trap.

maxp84z
06-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I think this exact strategy is what Werdum planned for. Exchange with Fedor, fake a rocked flop...let Fedor get on top of you, NOW if Werdum were really rocked, he would have been finished by Fedors GnP. But he wasn't. Fedor was just throwing those arms at him like crazy. Werdum caught one of those arms.

Brilliant gameplan by Werdum. Also you have to hand it to Fedor. He always wants to finish his fights.

The8thPlague
06-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah I give credit to Fedor for trying to end it, but he should've been more like Anderson Silva was against Thales Leites. By not being dumb enough to go to the ground with someone so good there.
(No comments about How Boring that Silva/Leites fight was either please. I can already predict a bunch of that.) :)

Diegonightmare
06-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Werdum's comments at the post-fight presser make me believe this isn't the case. He got tagged, and he didn't remember getting tagged. He was definitely discombobulated for a short time. Fedor's mistake was in overestimating how badly he was rocked and/or how quickly he would recover.

lwbrewer
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Werdum's comments at the post-fight presser make me believe this isn't the case. He got tagged, and he didn't remember getting tagged. He was definitely discombobulated for a short time. Fedor's mistake was in overestimating how badly he was rocked and/or how quickly he would recover.

I 2nd that [sorry timed out on reping for now]

I don't agree with other poster he should of acted like Anderson, but he should ofacted like Mir & Nog. Mir knocked him down several times before jumping on him to insure he was rocked real good.

GL Jeff
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
It was sloppy on Fedor's part. That "GnP" wasnt doing much, and he was pretty wild with it. Not to mention he left that arm hanging out like bait. And where was his corner warning him about the triangle that was hanging over his head? I think it was a rookie mistake, and he got over zealous thinking how rocked Werdum really was. I think it was planned by Werdum, set up by a BJJ ace, and implemented.

Lance Eastwood
06-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I really do not think Werdum tried to fake anything he got knocked down. When he woke up he was in his dream scenario and Fedor definitly did not posture up properly and was over anxious and left himself vunerable. Also due to the the depth of the triangle Werdum had locked in and the lack of sweat being that it was at the start of the fight Fedor had no chance. Werdum had it locked on with no chance of escape.

The Return Of......
06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
honestly, when i watched the replays, and i watched them several times. it doesnt look like fedor tagged him that good standing up. it looks like werdum flopped. it does look like fedor popped him a couple of times on the ground, but if werdum did take a dive during the wild exchange its the smartest game plan ive ever seen

Druel
06-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I've rewatched it so many times i've lost count but it looks to me like when he tries passing over his guard he bumps into the cage and that's where he gets caught in the triangle.

Will try to find a gif to show what i'm talking about.

EDIT: first bit i found a gif of the "rocking"

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rema9u.gif (http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/GifDetails.aspx?gid=10001329&tid=100)

EDIT EDIT: did some seriously amateurish gif making using several free (probably adware infected) sources. I dont know how to slow it down or enlarge it but i hope you get what I mean from this.

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/90490605-4a85-4b48-a087-e626d95309fd/output.gif

HighPlainsDrifter
06-27-2010, 09:58 PM
my fiancee said this exact thing when we watched it. Re-watching I think I'm starting to agree.

Pasha K
06-27-2010, 10:09 PM
No, I dont think that Werdum faked that knock down, sometimes it just happens sometimes that you were knocked down but you dont feel pain at all. Fedor really rushed and tried to finish him, he maybe underestimated Werdum´s JiuJItsu, he maybe thought that he would be able to do what he did with Nog. It was not the case. Its not at all that I discredit Werdum because what he did was awesome, but In my opinion Fedor made a huge mistake and payed for it.

The Joker
06-27-2010, 10:14 PM
I've rewatched it so many times i've lost count but it looks to me like when he tries passing over his guard he bumps into the cage and that's where he gets caught in the triangle.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night. After watching the fight again today, I still personally believe this to be the case, but this is just my opinion.

This post is not meant to take anything away from Werdum. He is a great BJJ practitioner and capitalized on his moment of opportunity.

erockomania
06-27-2010, 11:36 PM
I think Fedor is so confident in his strength that he wasn't worried about "getting caught" as he was wildly throwing punches.. because, in his mind, he'd have just pulled out of the attempts. He lost because he is over-confident at this point. This will make him a better fight... scary.

opethcire
06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I mentioned this in the results thread for the show. At the weigh ins Werdum mentioned something about a master gameplan that was "sure" to work. It looked slightly as if he went to the ground on purpose hoping Fedor would follow and then work for a sub. It might have also been a do or die gameplan, either get knocked out from GnP or sub him. Werdum was able to catch Fedor as he was trying to lay into him and subbed him. It all happened so quick. I don't know if this is the case and was their gameplan or just all happened by luck.

I think Fedor is so confident in his strength that he wasn't worried about "getting caught" as he was wildly throwing punches.. because, in his mind, he'd have just pulled out of the attempts. He lost because he is over-confident at this point. This will make him a better fight... scary.

I was also thinking this exact same thing. He says he doesn't listen to people, but being called the best for so long must do a little maybe.

Sniggles
06-28-2010, 12:10 AM

I am of this camp of thought. Fedor thought he would be able to break out of it and paid it no mind until it was too late and it was his mistake.

v3xi
06-28-2010, 12:31 AM
It was a sick sick move by Werdum. He rolled Fedor into the cage and bounced him off of it and as he rebounded off he had his legs in perfect position. I never seen anything like that in MMA.

QOTSA420
06-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Werdum flops on his ass a lot in fights, so I am not too suprised. I never really knew how big he actually was until the tale of the tape. Thats when I realized how different his frame was than Nog's, and that Fedor might not maul him on the ground. I still had Fedor winning via strikes, but goddamn that was really awkward watching Fedor tap. The funny thing is I think Fabricio gets beat by Overeem. Overeem will beat him standing and not play into his games. Werdum is kind of a one trick poney, but he just made a career out of that one trick. As has Dameian Maia and Shinya Aoki.