PDA

View Full Version : Protein

liddell316
12-11-2006, 11:38 PM
I've been reading on the internet about how important protein is for your diet and the best for getting lots of it is through fish and chicken....but what other foods would you guys suggest for getting a good protein intake every day?

Clint
12-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Your best sources:
Chicken
Fish
Lean beef
Lean ham
Milk
Nuts (although not complete proteins)

liddell316
12-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Also, is taking in a lot of protein important for just trying to build muscle, or does it help weight loss as well?

Hypergit
12-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Also, is taking in a lot of protein important for just trying to build muscle, or does it help weight loss as well?

Too much can make you fat, as it is calorific. Also, too little can make you fat in a round about way so yes it can help weight loss...

Muscle mass burns a lot of calories even at rest, so it is good for fat loss to build some muscle (which requires enough protein in your diet).

If you're very low on protein you can actally lose muscle as its amino acids are stripped for use in the immune system and for general repairs etc. This will reduce your metabolism and more of your food could be stored as fat.

git.

Clint
12-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Also, it's good to mention that protein requires a decent bit of energy to be converted into glycogen and then into bodyfat. So if you eat 100 calories of fat and 100 calories of protein. You will in a roundabout way be intaking fewer calories with the protein.

Liddell316: You should have protein at every meal if you are trying to lose weight or gain it. The difference comes down to total calorie intake.

liddell316
12-15-2006, 01:16 AM
So lets say I'm taking in around 2000 calories a day....how much protein should I be eating a day?

Legend
12-15-2006, 01:23 AM
So lets say I'm taking in around 2000 calories a day....how much protein should I be eating a day?

That really depends on how much you weigh. I would say around 1 to 1.25 grams for each pound you weigh. That is if you trying to gain muscle. Not sure if it would be the same if your trying to just lose weight.

Clint
12-15-2006, 02:45 AM
There are alot of factors to this question but I would say protein should compose 30-40% of your diet (with fat being 30% and carbs the otehr 30-40%). So for 2000 calories per day, that is 150 - 200 grams per day.

Are you looking to lose weight or gain muscle because 2000 honestly sounds low if you are trying to gain muscle and are training fairly hard.

Donny77
12-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Protein powders with soy ingriedient are a really good source of protein with much less fat intake.

Hypergit
12-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Protein powders with soy ingriedient are a really good source of protein with much less fat intake.

Good whey has negligable fat. Soy will give you bitch tits and inhibit muscle growth potential, but apart from that it's really good like you say.

Legend
12-15-2006, 06:09 AM
Good whey has negligable fat. Soy will give you bitch tits and inhibit muscle growth potential, but apart from that it's really good like you say.

Yeah I would not recommend taking Soy if you’re a guy trying to pack on muscle or not grow tits.

liddell316
12-15-2006, 10:53 PM
I weigh about 188 (Was about 200 before I started trying to get in shape). I play hockey usually twice a week and go running (on and off with walking/running) usually 3-5 times a week.

Right now I'm just trying to lose about 10 more pounds, then I'm gonna start with the weights, trying to put on muscle? Is this a good plan?

Clint
12-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah that sounds good. Although if possible you might want to go ahead and start hitting the weights now. They will help keep your muscle mass and build some strength while losing the fat. Just make sure your diet is good.

Rufio
12-16-2006, 05:02 AM
Yeah, it's good to hit the weights before you get on the treadmill or elliptical. It gets your heart rate WAY up there. Make sure you get some protein soon after the workout tho. But if you're mainly concentrating on losing fat right now, I wouldn't worry about the protein TOO much. Just lift weights, then jump on the machine (I prefer ellipticals due to the lack of impact) for a good 30 minutes, steady rate, breathing in through your nose and out of your mouth. Helped me out, though I had the order reversed until a personal trainer at the gym set me straight.

For the record, I was nearly 230 for awhile. Since I've been to the gym, I'm now around 180-185, and that's after having put on some pounds of muscle. Just make sure you get at least 30 minutes of cardio 30 times a week. That should melt the fat off quickly ... At least until you're under 20% body fat. :p I'm still figuring out fat loss after that myself, though I like Clint's suggestions in the thread I posted.