PDA

View Full Version : hughes vs. penn rematch who would win

prideFAN
06-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Who would win in a rematch between Matt Hughes and B.J. Penn?
O.k. I'll tell PENN WOULD WIN, butt Dana White doesn't want to see
his little poster boy loose again.

kickass32
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I'll probably be in minority here judging from other posts...but I'll go with Hughes......I think he took Penn too lightly the first time around, and I think he is still improving........:devil:

Intellectual
06-21-2006, 11:58 PM
hughes has gotten better and better since then, but i still go with penn.

WandAXE
06-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Penn for the simple fact that when his head is in the fight he cant be stopd. GSP was a fluke Penn wasnt really into the fight because he figured why should I fight someone that lost to the person that has my belt. Penn GSP 2 Penn would win again. Again.

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Penn for the simple fact that when his head is in the fight he cant be stopd. GSP was a fluke Penn wasnt really into the fight because he figured why should I fight someone that lost to the person that has my belt. Penn GSP 2 Penn would win again. Again.

So you think he purposely lost? GSP lost 2 years ago to Hughes to a lucky armbar. GSP is twice the fighter he was then. He beat Penn because he stepped it up over the last 2 rounds. You BJ Penn fans need to get over the fact that GSP is the best in the WW division although I will say Penn is a close second.

nole
06-22-2006, 01:19 AM
your fuckin tripin hughes is two strong for both those fucks and everyone will see that when he kicks the shit out of GSP

Afro
06-22-2006, 01:25 AM
ahh I hate this lol

Penn would win until proven otherwise, he dominated every second of the first fight Hughes hasnt proven that he can beat Penn yet.. beating Trigg and Gracie doesnt prove that he can beat Penn in a rematch, Penn went to a split with a guy everyone has beating Hughes, a guy that gave Hughes one hell of a fight and this was Penns first fight back.. Penn would beat Hughes in a rematch.

nole
06-22-2006, 01:37 AM
in my eyes hughes is to strong now and confident. I hope dana gives penn a shot after hughes fucks up GSP

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
in my eyes hughes is to strong now and confident. I hope dana gives penn a shot after hughes fucks up GSP

How do u figure Hughes is that much better than GSP. GSP is the better striker, and just as strong, Hughes may have a slight advantage on the ground but if GSP gets him on his back GSP will ground and pound him out.

nole
06-22-2006, 01:52 AM
just as strong! wow that is bold, hughes has freakish strength and the only way GSP has a chance is to stand up, even though his stand up didnt look so great against Penn.

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 01:58 AM
just as strong! wow that is bold, hughes has freakish strength and the only way GSP has a chance is to stand up, even though his stand up didnt look so great against Penn.

He is just as strong man. He has over powered everybody he has fought including Penn. Hughes is a great fighter I'm not taking anything away from him but I think it's GSP's time. We'll see in September. and please dont make your comeback "we'll see Hughes win in September." lol

Afro
06-22-2006, 02:00 AM
jeez just cuz Matt Hughes is known for his strength doesnt mean someone cant come around and match him for strength.. the first fight doesnt convince me that Matt Hughes is 10 x stronger then GSP, especially when Matt went for a takedown and GSP tossed him aside.. and especially since GSP was strong enough to get up from Matt's takedowns, and do you see his physique? its insane.. GSP can match Matt in strength.. and hes definently a better standupp fighter.. first fight proved that when he had Matt bleeding, GSP did a good job defending takedowns in the first fight you can only assume that hes improved in that area as well as everything else.. thats why I think hes gonna beat Matt.

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:03 AM
jeez just cuz Matt Hughes is known for his strength doesnt mean someone cant come around and match him for strength.. the first fight doesnt convince me that Matt Hughes is 10 x stronger then GSP, especially when Matt went for a takedown and GSP tossed him aside.. and especially since GSP was strong enough to get up from Matt's takedowns, and do you see his physique? its insane.. GSP can match Matt in strength.. and hes definently a better standupp fighter.. first fight proved that when he had Matt bleeding, GSP did a good job defending takedowns in the first fight you can only assume that hes improved in that area as well as everything else.. thats why I think hes gonna beat Matt.

Afro thats what I was trying to say to Nole but couldn't put it as clearly. Thank you.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:07 AM
OK I guess we will see but i think hughes is a better fighter now than he was when they fought the first time to. GSP has crazy muscle defention he is an animal i was at the fights and saw the weigh in, but i give the edge in strength to hughes but it is just my opinion

Afro
06-22-2006, 02:08 AM
OK I guess we will see but i think hughes is a better fighter now than he was when they fought the first time to. GSP has crazy muscle defention he is an animal i was at the fights and saw the weigh in, but i give the edge in strength to hughes but it is just my opinion
I think GSP is a better fighter too so its gonna be an interesting fight, its not like GSP is a lock to win this he is def. the underdog in this one!

nole
06-22-2006, 02:10 AM
i want GSP to win trust me

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:14 AM
In any title fight the challenger is going to be the underdog. Well except for Arlovski Sylvia II according to Vegas odds lol.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:16 AM
thats cause vegas knows the smart money is on AA, even though silvia has deadly power

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm betting on AA. Sylvia has dangerous power but everytime I watch that fight it looks like such a lucky punch like he's just jabbing to keep Arlovski from shooting in and caught him square on the chin.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:25 AM
it is lucky silvia is a fucking ogor who throws his arms and legs around. But one punch or kick from him can end a fight

WandAXE
06-22-2006, 02:30 AM
ahh I hate this lol

Penn would win until proven otherwise, he dominated every second of the first fight Hughes hasnt proven that he can beat Penn yet.. beating Trigg and Gracie doesnt prove that he can beat Penn in a rematch, Penn went to a split with a guy everyone has beating Hughes, a guy that gave Hughes one hell of a fight and this was Penns first fight back.. Penn would beat Hughes in a rematch. I heard that and GSP hasnt beatn Hughes
and he won Penn by a contraversial(did I spell that rite) decision. Who has GSP won that makes him so more impressive. Trigg.OK.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:33 AM
he is not but nobody wants to see dana and his poster boys anymore. My opinion still hasnt changed GSP lost to Penn

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:35 AM
He's beaten everyone in the WW division they've thrown at him except Hughes 2 years ago. He's beaten Parysian in his debut, he's beaten Sherk, he's beaten Penn in a very close fight I'll admit but he took 2 out of 3 rounds and in UFC that's a win, he beat the holy hell out of a tough Jason Miller. Also as you said Trigg.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:38 AM
i think GSP is sick and i agree that it will be a good fight with hughes. I hope GSP wins and Penn gets a rematch

Masscore
06-22-2006, 02:40 AM
I'll go against the norm and I'll say Hughes wins. Why? Because I believe his lost to Penn may have been the best thing for him to happen in his career. One in the L colomum may be the greatest movitator there is. Just look what has happened in his fights since Penn.

Unamouis Decision over Renato Verissimo
Submission over GSP (4:59)
Submission over Trigg (4:05)
Submission over Riggs (3:28)
TKO over Gracie (4:39)

Only one fight went past the First round and he didnt fight any push overs either. I would see this rematch ending in the first or second rd with Penn. Hughes would come out with something to prove and I believe he would tear into Penn.

nole
06-22-2006, 02:44 AM
good point, thank you. but he has to get past GSP first

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I think Hughes GSP will be fight of the year for UFC. I wanna see a Penn St. Pierre rematch too. But I think Penn's moving down to LW.

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:52 AM
I'll go against the norm and I'll say Hughes wins. Why? Because I believe his lost to Penn may have been the best thing for him to happen in his career. One in the L colomum may be the greatest movitator there is. Just look what has happened in his fights since Penn.

Unamouis Decision over Renato Verissimo
Submission over GSP (4:59)
Submission over Trigg (4:05)
Submission over Riggs (3:28)
TKO over Gracie (4:39)

Only one fight went past the First round and he didnt fight any push overs either. I would see this rematch ending in the first or second rd with Penn. Hughes would come out with something to prove and I believe he would tear into Penn.

He's the champ, I would hope no one he fights would be a push over lol.

Afro
06-22-2006, 04:02 AM
I heard that and GSP hasnt beatn Hughes
and he won Penn by a contraversial(did I spell that rite) decision. Who has GSP won that makes him so more impressive. Trigg.OK.
thats why im sayin Hughes is the favorite

Kimuras"R"Us
06-22-2006, 07:00 AM
I'll take Hughes over GSP, and I'd take him over Penn but who knows if that fight will ever happen with the speculation that BJ is gonna drop to LW (which I think he'll completely dominate on a side note). I whole heartedly buy into the idea that Hughes losing to Penn was the best thing that could've happened to him. He's looked like a completely different man since that fight. I think GSP is awesome as well in his own right, he's just a complete physical specimen. However I like Hughes in the rematch, I don't think GSP can keep it standing up, and on the ground while GSP is better than just about anyone else I give the slight edge to Hughes and his superior wrestling ability.

sabean_13
06-22-2006, 02:27 PM
I'll take Hughes over GSP, and I'd take him over Penn but who knows if that fight will ever happen with the speculation that BJ is gonna drop to LW (which I think he'll completely dominate on a side note). I whole heartedly buy into the idea that Hughes losing to Penn was the best thing that could've happened to him. He's looked like a completely different man since that fight. I think GSP is awesome as well in his own right, he's just a complete physical specimen. However I like Hughes in the rematch, I don't think GSP can keep it standing up, and on the ground while GSP is better than just about anyone else I give the slight edge to Hughes and his superior wrestling ability.

Good points but I think if GSP gets Hughes on his back GSP will G n p for the win.

Alvin
06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
The end of the day GSP has whooped all of the recent wrestlers he's faced & beaten probably the no1 stand-up WW in Penn in a stand-up fight.

Penn has recently fought from LW to LHW & done damn well, so I would say GSP Vs Hughes is gonna be a classic fight in the making & whoever wins that will lose to Penn.

prideFAN
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
The end of the day GSP has whooped all of the recent wrestlers he's faced & beaten probably the no1 stand-up WW in Penn in a stand-up fight.

Penn has recently fought from LW to LHW & done damn well, so I would say GSP Vs Hughes is gonna be a classic fight in the making & whoever wins that will lose to Penn.

Thank you someone understands.

:afro:

Glen903
06-23-2006, 05:55 AM
Penn is a dirty fighter, in that last match the Eye gouge ( in my opinion ) was on purpos when he got worried. PS he cant beat MATT.:banghead:

prideFAN
06-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Penn is a dirty fighter, in that last match the Eye gouge ( in my opinion ) was on purpos when he got worried. PS he cant beat MATT.:banghead:

HA HA Thats funny, because he already beat him.

:fingersmilie:

killerinstinct
06-23-2006, 10:46 PM
HA HA Thats funny, because he already beat him.

:fingersmilie:
not just beat him he dominated him and choked his ass out.Matt was saying Trigg didn't know how to defend a choke in there 1st fight when they were getting ready to have a rematch he said that it was day one shit ,but that's funny though b/c in his fight against penn he just gives up his neck and makes no real efforts to defend-lol.

CHUCKtheCHAMP
06-27-2006, 02:59 AM
I Think Gsp Is Just As Strong And Hughes And Gsp Will Destroy Hughes 2nd Time Around... Everyone Thinks Ohh Look How Freakishly Strong Hughes Is.... Well Fuck Look How Frealishly Big Gsp Is For 170... God Damn That Fool Is A Beast... Gsp Over Hughes... But In The Hughes Vs Penn Aspect I Give It To Hughes... He Took Penn Way Too Lightly And He Wont Do That Again...

HollywoodHogan
06-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I've never seen anyone so freakishly talented like B.J. Penn. The things he could do in the ring is just amazing. I believe that B.J. Penn is a bad match for Hughes or any good grappler;you can't really take him down and keep him there because his jiutsu is really good. You can't stand with him because his strking is even better. The thing with Penn is because he's kinda ugly and has no charisma whatsoever, no one would pay money to see him fight as a champ. Real diasaster from the promotional point of view. Better to keep some good looking dude like Hughes the champ to boost up PPV buy rate. I believe that this is the reason why Hughes vs Penns 2 would never happen.

killerinstinct
06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
I've never seen anyone so freakishly talented like B.J. Penn. The things he could do in the ring is just amazing. I believe that B.J. Penn is a bad match for Hughes or any good grappler;you can't really take him down and keep him there because his jiutsu is really good. You can't stand with him because his strking is even better. The thing with Penn is because he's kinda ugly and has no charisma whatsoever, no one would pay money to see him fight as a champ. Real diasaster from the promotional point of view. Better to keep some good looking dude like Hughes the champ to boost up PPV buy rate. I believe that this is the reason why Hughes vs Penns 2 would never happen.
did you just call Hughes a good looking dude?Weird!!! Penn has charisma. What was more charismatic than when he kissed Hughes after winning the title?

HollywoodHogan
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
did you just call Hughes a good looking dude?Weird!!! Penn has charisma. What was more charismatic than when he kissed Hughes after winning the title?

Ya, Penn's as charismatic as a 13 year old gay boy. He just doesn't look like a tough guy. On the other hand, Hughes looks like that cute little boy from the Andy Griffith Show. Case Closed.

#1taz
06-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Dude - no offense...but one day you are going to post a comment that makes perfectly good sense....and the rest of us will all faint from the shock...lol

J/K...

killerinstinct
07-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Ya, Penn's as charismatic as a 13 year old gay boy. He just doesn't look like a tough guy. On the other hand, Hughes looks like that cute little boy from the Andy Griffith Show. Case Closed.
:confusedsmilie:

sgthorse
07-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Who would win in a rematch between Matt Hughes and B.J. Penn?
O.k. I'll tell PENN WOULD WIN, butt Dana White doesn't want to see
his little poster boy loose again.

you said it all right there. close the thread right now, the truth has already been spoken!

CHUCKtheCHAMP
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Hughes Would Take Penn Now... Plain And Simple Hughes Took Bj Way Too Lightly And Wanted To Show He Could Slack Off And Still Win...and He Got Proved Wrong... But Now Hughes Would Smash Penn Imo....hughes Said He Felt Disrespect That Penn Came Up In Weight And Thinks He Could Beat Him....he Said He Wanted To Teach Penn Respect... And Hughes Got Wooped... You Think Hed Let That Happen Again... Hell No!!!! Hughes Would Train Soo Hard And Bj Would Get Smashed Thru The Ground.....now Gsp Hes A Diff. Story He's Goin To Woop On Hughes And Take That Belt....

paintstik
07-20-2006, 05:05 PM
I'll probably be in minority here judging from other posts...but I'll go with Hughes......I think he took Penn too lightly the first time around, and I think he is still improving........:devil:

I agree. I think he was looking past Penn the last time. In his interviews he kept saying how it was disrespectful to go into someone elses weight class etc...I think either one has a good chance and it wouldn't be as onesided.

Legend
07-20-2006, 05:25 PM

Penn asked to fight GSP. If anything Penn should have come in better shape. He gassed and it cost him. Ill take Hughes in a rematch which is inevitable.