PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat in problem areas

Rufio
12-15-2006, 10:14 AM
I gained a bunch of weight like 5 years ago, then ended up working off most of the fat like 1 and a half years ago. I've been focusing more on gaining muscle since then, and I'm at 17% body fat, but I have some fat leftover in problem areas that's stopping me from having the exact shape I want to get.

For awhile, since I was just working on muscle growth, I was neglecting cardio at the gym. Recently, I've started doing 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. I'm thinking of stepping up my cardio to 100-130 minutes a week, but I've been gaining strength at a fast pace, and I don't want to lose it. I'm trying to think of extra meals I can eat with plenty of protein to make sure I don't lose muscle, but lacking in the fat department. I don't have much fat left, but the fat loss isn't happening nearly as fast as it was when I first started working out. I'm trying to hurry it up and get down to 10-13% body fat.

Any tips for working fat off problem areas without losing significant strength or mass?

Clint
12-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Well you can't really work fat off of specific areas but you can still lose fat without losing muscle. As a matter of fact I read a study the other day where:

Subjects ate 1700 cals daily, including 50g fat. One group ate .8g/kg of bodyweight in protein, the other group ate 1.5g/kg. The first supplemented 5g leucine daily, the second 10g.

Here were the results: http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-196-diet/image025.gif

It's from this article: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1367018

What I am saying with all of this though is that you need to do the following things:
* Make sure your diet is in order, as your BF% drops it will get more difficult to lose weight. Aim for low calorie (1700 - 2000 per day) with 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

* Supplement with Fish Oils (6 grams per day), Leucine (10g per day), and a multivitamin

* Hit the gym plenty. Lift 2 or 3 days per week heavy. Do cardio (Run, Sprints, Complexes, etc) as much as you can on top. Aim for cardio 3-5 days per week (don't overdo it too fast). Also keep in mind that nothing burns calories better than HIIT sprints.

Rufio
12-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Well you can't really work fat off of specific areas

I understood that. What I meant was working off fat when your body fat percentage is already below 20%. Speeding up the process, y'know?

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Clint
12-16-2006, 04:32 AM
I understood that. What I meant was working off fat when your body fat percentage is already below 20%. Speeding up the process, y'know?

Cool, then your further ahead than alot of people :thumbsup:

Work on that much stuff and jus hit me back up if you need more advice.

Alwaysbelieve1
12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
On this diet you will be eating approx. 1000-2000+ calories each day spread out over 5-6 meals (not necessarily spread evenly over those 5-6 meals.)

Ex. meal 1 will have more carbs than meal 5 and so on) Eat meals(NOT SNACKS!) every 2-3 hours beginning with meal 1(breakfast) from waking(within 30 min.) in the morning and then plan 2-3 hours from there to have meal 2 and so on. This is the ideal way to eat no matter your fitness goals. Ultimately it does not matter the diet you are on whether it be mine, Adkins, Weight Watchers or even South Beach. What matters is that you stick to a disciplined diet and not sway from it rather make it your lifestyle. If this is achieved then it no longer is difficult, but just another thing you do from day to day.

Most people eat to have taste. Most of the food they eat that may taste good is usually garbage. We all know saying: garbage in, garbage out. If you eat non-healthy food you will have an unhealthy body, but if you eat clean you will have a much longer, happier and healthier life.

Also remember just because you eat “light” does not mean you are eating “right”!!!

This is one of the blocks I face as a professional trainer in trying to get clients to make better food choices. They think they don't have time and that eating healthy tastes gross. Both statements are merely excuses and also untrue. Everyone has time and excuses are given to convince yourself you do not. You provide me your schedule and I will provide you a solution so that anyone and everyone can be and stay healthy. All you will have to be concerned with then is committing to it. After all if we are not prioritizing our health above everything else anyway, “the everything else” will suffer somewhere down the line due to some measure of poor or failing health. We must continue to remember instead of reminding ourselves about the problems in our lives we must always believe there is nothing else but solutions.

Eliminate

1. Foods that contain proteins which have the potential to cause autoimmune reactions. These are:
1. All dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese, yoghurt)
2. Foods containing gluten grains (e.g. wheat, rye or barley)
3. Legumes (e.g. beans, soy, peanuts. peas)

2. Any food that causes an allergic reaction as determined by a body reaction or a blood test. These foods can cause increased intestinal permeability (a leaky gut) and increased immune reactions.

3. Candy, soft drinks and foods with a high sugar content. These foods alter the gut flora which in turn can cause a leaky gut and problematic immune reactions.

Reduce

1. Foods that contain saturated fat. Eat red meat (lean cuts) only once a week.

2. The intake of omega 6 polyunsaturated fat which are found in margarine, salad oils and many baked goods. Use olive oil (monounsaturated fat) for fat supply.

3. Non-gluten grains such as corn and oats. Use mainly rice for grain products and eat these in moderation.

4. Alcohol consumption. At best, drink wine in moderation and completely avoid beer.

Increase

1. Eat skinless chicken breast, game meat and fish for protein content. Fish such as salmon and mackerel also contain omega 3 polyunsaturated fat, which is very beneficial.

2. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits for carbohydrates and fiber.

3. Take a variety of supplements to bolster immune regulation, to increase anti-oxidant capacity and to avoid deficiencies.

Essentially the closer you eat to nature the healthier you will be.

Care of: DIRECT-MS

I hope that helps. Let me know how I can help you.

AudieMurphy1
12-18-2006, 08:28 PM
what about cutting gels? do those work?

Alwaysbelieve1
12-18-2006, 08:33 PM
what about cutting gels? do those work?

I wouldn't give them to my dog. They are about the biggest scam on the fitness market shelves. I used to be an area supervisor for GNC and hating carrying those because they would always come back returned.

I even tried them myself and can usually know right away if something is working or not since I guinea pig myself a lot- they did nothing.

Don't waste your time and money. Do it the simple and natural way- hard work and dedication. You will be more fulfilled and satisfied with the results. :)

AudieMurphy1
12-18-2006, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't give them to my dog. They are about the biggest scam on the fitness market shelves. I used to be an area supervisor for GNC and hating carrying those because they would always come back returned.

I even tried them myself and can usually know right away if something is working or not since I guinea pig myself a lot- they did nothing.

Don't waste your time and money. Do it the simple and natural way- hard work and dedication. You will be more fulfilled and satisfied with the results. :)

i was just wondering, thanks for the heads up

Alwaysbelieve1
12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
i was just wondering, thanks for the heads up

Absolutely! That's what I'm here for. :grinsmile3: