PDA

View Full Version : Workout Smart

Alwaysbelieve1
12-20-2006, 07:15 AM
When you are training pay close attention to your heart rate so that you know whether you are burning fat calories as well as not to go beyond your max heart rate.

Some believe that height and weight matter with where your heart rate should be, however in actuality neither height nor weight matter according to where your heart rate should be concerning aerobic/anaerobic activity. The heart rate may increase more quickly the heavier a person is as well as any known medical conditions might cause an increased h.r.

Below you will find the correct formula for target heartrate:

220(fetal h.r.) - "your age" = max heart rate

For example: 220 - 28 = 192(my max h.r)

Now that the max h.r. is known you need to find your ideal
aerobic workout range. If you stay between 65 percent and 75 percent of
your max you will burn a decent amount of fat calories as
this is your primary "fat burning zone". If you stay in the
75 percent and 85 percent range of your max h.r. then you are not only
burning a good amount of fat calories, but now you are
achieving a great cardiovascular workout as well. If you
train below 65 percent unless specifically instructed to do so by
an expert due to a certain condition or injury) then you will
simply be wasting your time as you will mostly be burning
glycogen within the muscle cells along with a very, very
minimal amount of fat cals. If you train above your max h.r.
for long extended periods of time it can not only be
stressful to the heart, but you can also potentially burn
muscle as it will be consumed for energy at that intensity
level.

So, in essence, simply stay between 65 percent and 85 percent of your max h.r. throughout your entire workout, practice that at least 3 times a week, and compliment it by a smart and balanced diet you will see great results.

Metalhead
12-20-2006, 08:03 PM
How does a guy like me who sits behind a desk 8 hours a day workout smarter? Eating a lot of meals makes me feel lethargic at the end of the day. After work I go work out and I feel tired and strained. I feel better after the workout, but I dont' feel I'm getting maximum results due to my inactivity for most of the day.

Hypergit
12-20-2006, 08:20 PM
How does a guy like me who sits behind a desk 8 hours a day workout smarter? Eating a lot of meals makes me feel lethargic at the end of the day. After work I go work out and I feel tired and strained. I feel better after the workout, but I dont' feel I'm getting maximum results due to my inactivity for most of the day.

15 minutes or more moderate to intense cardio before breakfast (this will up your metabolism for a few hours, reducing lethargy and increasing calory burn).

This should make the world of difference. If you can fit some in at lunch time occasionally that would be good too. Workout as normal in the evenings.

Meals can/should be small during the day if you're totally inactive (but still regular)

git.

Alwaysbelieve1
12-21-2006, 05:28 AM
15 minutes or more moderate to intense cardio before breakfast (this will up your metabolism for a few hours, reducing lethargy and increasing calory burn).

This should make the world of difference. If you can fit some in at lunch time occasionally that would be good too. Workout as normal in the evenings.

Meals can/should be small during the day if you're totally inactive (but still regular)

git.

Right on! :) I also commented HERE (http://forums.mmanews.com/showpost.php?p=74800&postcount=5)

Shizzle
02-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Excellent read. I recently purchased a heart rate monitor. the instructions are very similar to your advice.