PDA

View Full Version : Compound excersize

Metalhead
12-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I saw my doctor yesterday due to shoulder and wrist problems. My shoulders ended up having tendonitis and my wrist was a common injury from ju jitsu. My doctor informed me that once I start working out again that I should do compound excersizes. What exactly does this mean?

On a side note. He told me that on the bench press bring the bar below my nipple line, stay away from wide grip pull ups because that lead to my tendonitis. These make sense as that's probably why I hurt my shoulders in the first place. The most interesting thing he said was that lateral raises are pointless unless you're a body builder. Thoughts on that comment?

But mainly, what's a good compund excersizes routine I could do three days a week.

Hypergit
12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Compounds are muti-joint exercises. They include the powerlifts (squat, deadlift, bench press) and the olympic lifts (C&J, snatch, power clean). Also dips & chins, and many other bodyweight exercises.

There's several variations of all of the above.

As for a routine, that depends on your experience level, how many times a week you work out etc etc. The faq has some info on this, but I'd suggest up to 5 exercises per workout for 1 warmup set and 1 work set each - should take less than an hour. Olympic lifts take more time, as you generally do progressive singles, so maybe best to do only a maximum of 2 of these per workout.

git.

Clint
12-21-2006, 12:49 PM
For BJJ try out a push-pull-squat routine:
Day 1: Pulling Movements
Deadlift
Good Mornings
Bent Over Rows

Day 2: Pushing Movements
Bench
Overhead Press
Dips

Day 3: Squatting Movements
Squats
Lunges

You can add in more exercises that you like plus core stuff. This is just a basic outline/example. Plus you can always throw in some odd lifts to help more with BJJ.

For example I just read an article by Ross Enamit about buying one of those burst proof yoga balls and filling it half way with water and then pumping air into it until it is close to round. Then you can clean & press it or carry it for distance etc.

Hypergit
12-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Just to add to Clint's advice, if you do a push/pull split I've found the quality of each exercise will reduce a lot over the course of the workout as the muscles get more tired (this happens anyway due to general energy and hormone levels depleting, but the effect is amplified). Therefore, be sure to rotate the order of the exercises reguarly so they are all getting a quality workout every week or two.

Personally, I do a whole body workout twice a week only hitting each muscle hard once per workout if possible, twice maximum. For me, this results in better gains and less DOMS (soreness) during training.

git.

Alwaysbelieve1
12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Here are the exact definitions as described on the Glossary of Structural Kinesiology & Weight Training.

Basic

A principal exercise that can place greater absolute intensity on the muscles exercised relative to auxiliary exercises.

Auxiliary

An optional exercise that may supplement a basic exercise. Auxiliary exercises may place greater relative intensity on a specific muscle or a head of a muscle.

Compound

An exercise that involves two or more joint movements.

Isolated

An exercise that involves just one discernible joint movement.

Diet is the most important piece of the equation to achieve any fitness goal.

When performing exercises compound & functional movements are more important than isolated abdominal movements for they will use more of the core to stabilize the body as it naturally does & needs.

Try getting off the bench and use dumbbells on the Stability Ball. It will not impede your scapula. Compound lifts do utilize the core for stability and support. I believe the abdominals are firing more in this environment than that of isolation of them alone.

Personally I never train "bodyparts", but instead I train movements. I do my best to synergistically work the body as nature intended by using compound movements most of the time. I rarely- almost never- isolate.

My intensity is always high and would never go into the gym to waste my time with a light day.

In training I have adapted the Bruce Lee methods: Use no way as way and no limitation as limitation. Anything goes as long as it works. Throw away what does not- keeping only that which does.

When training always remember: Less Is More!