PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to see a GSP vs Fitch or Penn again?

Malice
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Anyone?

I tried to make a poll but get a DB Error, so just say it here. options:

1) GSP vs Penn III please!
2) GSP vs Fitch II please!
3) There is no point to either of these matches now.
4) I never want to see these match ups.

Sakara=Excitement
02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Good lord neither. Those two fights GSP vs Penn II and GSP vs Fitch are two of the most one sided beatdowns I have ever witnessed. I mean, when is the last time you've seen someone's corner throw the towel in because their fighter was getting murdered...literally murdered? None whatsoever. Ready for some new blood like Condit or Kampmann.

CHAEL fan
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Hell no!

Qball1974
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I want to see Fitch vs Huges and Penn vs Alves :)

Flynnja
02-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd hate to see GSP vs Penn 3 when GSP is 2-0. Be hideous. I don't have much of an interest in Fitch vs GSP either. If I hadda pick one I'd pick Fitch, just cause he deserves a WW title shot 1000x more than BJ Penn.

Neither fight interests me.

The Muss
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
no neither fight appeals to me, i want to see penn fight people that he will be motivated and excited to fight like alves, hardy, aldo, maybe faber because we all can see his interest in fighting dieing down cant we? He is near the end of the road i think and i dont want to see his last fights be boring or him not fighting to potential!

As for fitch whoever he fights it going to be the same gameplan over and over and its been shown he simply cant do that to gsp he doesnt have the explosive shot or the striking to set it up that it takes to do it to him so no!

CHAEL fan
02-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I admire Fitch's work ethic, and his ability to push a high pace, etc, etc, but, if I never see him in a #1 Contender's fight or a Championship fight ever again, I will be just fine.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I don't think they could pay BJ enough to get back into the cage with Georges again.

As for Fitch, I don't think he's really shown anything since his last GSP fight that would suggest he can really do any better a second time around. His standup is still nonexistent, his bottom game hasn't gotten any better and I question what this weight loss would do for his ability to take and keep GSP down. On paper he's the number one contender, but in the octagon I think there's still a great disparity.

I think Fitch gets punched in the face as much as he did the first time around and probably gets it worse than Kos because GSP won't be cautious of that kind of knock out power.

I want GSP to prove a point versus Shields and take a step back and seriously look at the division. I think there's money at MW vs. Anderson and take it from there, but the WW division is far and away the most dominated.

Pasha K
03-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Option 3

GSP would easily kick their ass (again).

Lets see how Shields does, but for me there is no one in the UFC WW division that is a threat to St Pierre. Outside of UFC maybe Nick Diaz, and still I think GSP would win.

St Pierre vs Anderson, that is the match everyone wants to see.

dan the man 67
03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I can handle a best-out-of-3 series, so GSP has already taken that series against BJ. Having said that, I wouldn't mind Fitch/GSP II.

SWIFTboy
03-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I want whomever earns a title shot to get it, regardless of if it will sell PPVs.

If you already had a title shot, especially if it's against the same champion, it's fine that it takes longer. It took longer for GSP to get his second shot against Hughes.

When you start bypassing worthy contenders because they are not exciting, or have had their chance, you end up with guys like Dan Hardy getting title shots.

It's not Jon Fitch's job to show us something new to make us beleive he can beat GSP. It's his job to win fights, earn a shot against GSP, and then use his second chance against GSP to try and prove he can beat GSP.

Saying a fighter doesn't deserve a shot against GSP because you don't think he will defeat GSP would mean no one ever deserves a shot, since GSP always comes in as the favourite.

I understand not everyone feels this way but I'm willing to sacrifice fans and PPV buys in order to establish MMA as a legitimate sport. I guess that's why I don't run any promotions!

Punk Ass
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Who in the hell would care about seeing GSP fight either of these guys again? It's pointless.

Malice
03-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Who in the hell would care about seeing GSP fight either of these guys again? It's pointless.

Yeah this wasn't really mean to a be "Dream Match" topic..but it got moved here.

Saying this is a "Dream Match" is quite the oxymoron.

Masscore
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I am perfectly fine seeing a rematch between Fitch and GSP mostly because Fitch has earned it. The guy is 13-1-1 in the UFC (should be 14-1) and has basically knocked off every other contender in the WW division. Sure GSP won a one-sided fight last time, but that fight was almost three years ago. Who says it would be the same now? Who says Fitch wouldn't be able to grind out a win this time? There is only one way to find out and thats a rematch with GSP.

If the UFC thought the same way you guys did, then we would have never had Couture v. Liddell II or III because Couture crushed Liddell the first fight.

Malice
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
GSP vs Fitch II wouldn't go any different than this:

http://rdtwot.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/fitch_after_gsp.jpg

Fitch hasn't shown any improvement since GSP I and he just got beat by BJ Penn

Masscore
03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
GSP vs Fitch II wouldn't go any different than this:

http://rdtwot.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/fitch_after_gsp.jpg

Fitch hasn't shown any improvement since GSP I and he just got beat by BJ Penn

So Liddell v. Couture II should have never happened then right? Because Couture crushed Liddell in the first fight and actually stopped him.

Malice
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
So Liddell v. Couture II should have never happened then right? Because Couture crushed Liddell in the first fight and actually stopped him.

Crushed? It went 3 rounds ending with Couture TKOing Liddell

Liddell hit his peak after that, he changed and deserved a rematch.

CHAEL fan
03-01-2011, 03:00 PM
I am perfectly fine seeing a rematch between Fitch and GSP mostly because Fitch has earned it. The guy is 13-1-1 in the UFC (should be 14-1) and has basically knocked off every other contender in the WW division. Sure GSP won a one-sided fight last time, but that fight was almost three years ago. Who says it would be the same now? Who says Fitch wouldn't be able to grind out a win this time? There is only one way to find out and thats a rematch with GSP.

If the UFC thought the same way you guys did, then we would have never had Couture v. Liddell II or III because Couture crushed Liddell the first fight.

In regard to Jon Fitch and a possible rematch with GSP....

I'm gonna quote one of my all-time favorite movie characters...Mr. William Munny from Unforgiven.

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Masscore
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Crushed? It went 3 rounds ending with Couture TKOing Liddell

Liddell hit his peak after that, he changed and deserved a rematch.

How did Couture not crush Liddell? It was a one-sided beat down for three rounds until the ref finally pulled Couture off. That fight is almost as one-sided as fights can get.

How'd he change? He was always just a counter striker with great takedown defense. Plus he was 2-1 in his three fights before Couture and one of those wins was against Vernon White.

Fitch has earned his title shot and it doesn't matter what happened 3 years ago. You can point to the old fight all you want and I will just keep pointing to the Couture-Liddell series.

Malice
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
How did Couture not crush Liddell? It was a one-sided beat down for three rounds until the ref finally pulled Couture off. That fight is almost as one-sided as fights can get.

How'd he change? He was always just a counter striker with great takedown defense. Plus he was 2-1 in his three fights before Couture and one of those wins was against Vernon White.

Fitch has earned his title shot and it doesn't matter what happened 3 years ago. You can point to the old fight all you want and I will just keep pointing to the Couture-Liddell series.

Ok I'll just say it...because Couture and Liddell were both heavy fan favorites where Fitch is not.

He's boring as hell, you know it.

SWIFTboy
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM

All.of.this.

Couture COMPLETELY shut down Liddell in the first fight. Chuck's style did not change in the slightest. Chuck KOed Couture visciously the next two fights.

If that's not enough for you, I made a nice list: http://www.mmanews.com/forums/general-mma-forum/43756-why-rematches-not-pointless-list.html
Fell free to add any I forgot.

I completely agree with Masscore. How do you know things won't be different? I know Fitch hasn't changed his game, but I don't feel he has a responsibility to re-invent himself in order to gain a second chance at GSP. All he has to do is win enough fights to earn it.
Maybe GSP has an off night, maybe Fitch is able to wear on him more than last time, maybe one of his 'sprinkle' shots opens a cut and completely changes the fight. You have to give Fitch the chance to to prove it one way or another.

Even if GSP dominates Fitch a second time, then at least we know. Someone who earned a title shot loses to someone who is once-and-for all better than him. Sounds great to me.

I'd also like to add that this is coming from the pespective of a GSP fan not a Fitch fan. Since as a big fan of GSP I want him to go down as the best WW ever, it means I want him to take on and defeat the biggest challenges. That means I want him to fight the Fitche's of the world, even if 'we know what will happen' and 'it's boring' than fight the Dan Hardy's of the world just because he's someone different.

Sakara=Excitement
03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah guys, let's all start thinking Fitch could beat GSP. Oh any while y'all are at it, pass me that shit y'all are smoking.

rivethead
03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Any time any of these fighters step into a cage or a ring, I'll watch.

If I can suffer through GSP/Hardy, I can certainly watch GSP/Fitch II or GSP/Penn III, or Penn/Fitch II or III.

rh

Malice
03-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Any time any of these fighters step into a cage or a ring, I'll watch.

If I can suffer through GSP/Hardy, I can certainly watch GSP/Fitch II or GSP/Penn III, or Penn/Fitch II or III.

rh

I am guessing that you watch streams online for next to nothing right? must be nice :)

rivethead
03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I am guessing that you watch streams online for next to nothing right? must be nice :)

I'm guessing you'd rather trade actually seeing the best fight the best for some overhyped smoke and mirror nonsense.

Must be sad, but at least it's trendy.

EDIT: I missed the Masscore/Swift stuff, but I agree with it, and would add one more adjustment to the perception: Fitch has always been a conservative fighter, but he's been fighting with soooooo much to lose for going on 5 years now. He has been one fight away from a title shot--with lesser mooks getting the nod before him based on casual fans finding them more "exciting"--for half a decade.

I think what could happen--not that it will, or is even probable--but what could happen is that if he gets a second title fight, he realizes he has absolutely nothing to lose and throws caution to the wind. Inside the cage, Sonnen was every bit as "boring" as Fitch was until his title shot with Anderson. Nobody felt Sonnen had a chance in hell to win, so he realized that a spectacular loss is as good as a win, and fought well above his normal conservative level [not to mention Anderson's injury didn't giving him a boost, even if it wasn't broken ribs] and that could be a model for Fitch as well.

I don't count anything out in MMA. I don't assume that Georges--talented as he is--is invincible. Is he favored? Absolutely. But I'd rather see the best fight the best rather than see a mediocre punkass get a title shot based on his mouth and Zuffa's marketing.

Again, I have tremendous respect for Georges, for Jon and for Penn. I'll watch them fight anyone...even overhyped smoke and mirrorjobs. But given an opportunity to see them fight each other? Sign me up, every time.

rh

diction10
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm totally for GSP/Fitch II. They are both at the top of the division and deserve to fight, regardless of the outcome of the first match. Fitch deserves another shot.

pantomime horse
03-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't really want to see either guy face GSP again, but if they get the shot I'll watch. It's not as though 170 has any proven contenders aside from Fitch. Yeah, he'd get handled again, but so be it. If that does happen, maybe he'd make the move to 185 which would be good.

Pasha K
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Actually it is. You must try that one day:grinsmile1:

Malice
03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Actually it is. You must try that one day:grinsmile1:

Yeah If I wasn't buying it I would not care about its content either...