PDA

View Full Version : Stone Cold's Tough Enough beats Lensnar's TUF 13 ratings

Cat--Smasher
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Stone Cold is Tough Enough to beat Brock Lesnar in a Spike TV ratings match - MMAmania.com (http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/5/2092903/stone-cold-is-tough-enough-to-beat-brock-lesnar-in-a-spike-tv-ratings)

If you think "Stone Cold" Steve Austin can beat Brock Lesnar in a match-up for TV ratings, give me a hell yeah! For those of you that remained silent, here are the cold hard numbers for the debut of both men's respective reality shows from Zap2It (via Cageside Seats):

Tough Enough debut episode (hosted by Austin): 3.3 million viewers with a 1.5 rating among viewers 18 to 49 years old.
Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 debut episode (featuring Lesnar as coach): 1.5 million viewers with a 1.0 rating.

Dana must be pissed - knock off TUF show out preforming the UFCs.

Kimbo> Rampage
04-06-2011, 01:04 AM
lol "give me a hell ya"

Cat--Smasher
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Come to think of it, maybe Daley is doing his best Stone Cold impression with all his boss bashing.

Rumble
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
It's because Trish Stratus is on that show, and she is fine as hell.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.marcuspitt.com/wp-content/uploads/wwe-diva-trish-stratus.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.marcuspitt.com/2011/03/trish-stratus-photo-gallery-one-dozen-trish-photos/wwe-diva-trish-stratus/&usg=___6MelvjAfxiUeueu1OBo3TTKMN8=&h=400&w=285&sz=32&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=GvHX2gOfELTfAM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=93&ei=C5KbTcjiAoa8vgOD39jjBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTrish%2BStratus%26hl%3Den%26client%3D firefox-a%26hs%3D9Xu%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D725%26tbm%3Disch% 26prmd%3Divnsuo0%2C456&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=408&vpy=52&dur=263&hovh=266&hovw=189&tx=103&ty=157&oei=xJGbTaXMPIaSuwP4yLG2Bw&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:0&biw=1152&bih=725

KevoOnTheRadio
04-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Probably had to do with Wrestlemania and then Raw being the lead in.

IceCold48
04-06-2011, 01:28 AM
wow...mma is struggling this year only a little over 1.5 million ppv buys over the course of 4 shows and now getting beat by a fake wrestling knock off of TUF...sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Dan
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
wow...mma is truggling this year only a little over 1.5 million ppv buys over the course of 4 shows and now getting beat by a fake wrestling knock off of TUF...sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

I sure hope it isn't, and personally, I don't think it is. MMA is growing as such a fast rate I can't see it suddenly coming to a halt.

I think this ratings info is more of a reflection on the TUF concept than MMA as a whole. TUF has done so many series now it is kind of getting tired in the eyes of many fans (even though I still enjoy it) and Wrestling has been in the public eye a lot recently (with The Rock returning and Wrestlemania) so this isn't surprising. If Stone Cold's show can maintain ratings like that for a long time, then we should worry.

James Deuce
04-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Stone Cold is Tough Enough to beat Brock Lesnar in a Spike TV ratings match - MMAmania.com (http://www.mmamania.com/2011/4/5/2092903/stone-cold-is-tough-enough-to-beat-brock-lesnar-in-a-spike-tv-ratings)

wow...mma is struggling this year only a little over 1.5 million ppv buys over the course of 4 shows and now getting beat by a fake wrestling knock off of TUF...sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Not sure why you guys are saying it's a "knock off" of The Ultimate Fighter. Tough Enough's first season was in 2001. They did a couple more seasons after that and then stopped until it's renewal in 2011. The Ultimate Fighter started in 2005. It's hardly a "knock off".

I'm not a WWE fan anymore, I quit watching because it turned into garbage, but to call it a knock off of a show (The Ultimate Fighter) that in a lot of ways took the formula of past Tough Enough seasons is kind of ridiculous.

Besides, most reality shows are all the same formula now days. Every thing is copying every thing else.

As far as the ratings go, it beating TUF. It's not really that much of a surprise, and I don't think it's the "fall of MMA"- by any stretch of the imagination. The Ultimate Fighter has been the same stale show for years. I'm a huge Lesnar fan and I really have no ambition to watch it. I'm not sure what they can do to improve it, but something needs to be done.

Could have gone way more in depth with this, but oh well, you get my point.

Cat--Smasher
04-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Not sure why you guys are saying it's a "knock off" of The Ultimate Fighter. Tough Enough's first season was in 2001. They did a couple more seasons after that and then stopped until it's renewal in 2011. The Ultimate Fighter started in 2005. It's hardly a "knock off".

I will have to take your word for it James Deuce, my ignorance. My knowledge on wrestling is very limited and I assumed this was its first season.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Pasha K
04-06-2011, 03:11 AM
Stone Cold is one of the very few WWE entertainers that actually do a great job entertaining. I am not a fan of him but its entertaining to watch him.

Considering how boring was 1st episode of TUF, I think next time the difference in ratings will be even bigger

Sakara=Excitement
04-06-2011, 03:19 AM
getting beat by a fake wrestling knock off of TUF...sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Wow IceCold....TUF is/was a blatant rip-off of Tough Enough. It's crazy because the WWE has done a great job making people believe this is somehow a new show but it pre-dated TUF and was used exclusively as a model for TUF.

roaddawg
04-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Wow IceCold....TUF is/was a blatant rip-off of Tough Enough. It's crazy because the WWE has done a great job making people believe this is somehow a new show but it pre-dated TUF and was used exclusively as a model for TUF.

Not surprised but I guess we all are ignorant about something.

Cat--Smasher
04-06-2011, 05:34 AM
There are much worse things to be ignorant about than sports entertainment wrestling.

Pasha K
04-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Not surprised but I guess we all are ignorant about something.

For some very strange reason, it makes me laugh the fact that it was RD who posted this. :grinsmile1:

Masscore
04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Doesn't really surprise me, TUF always did better ratings when RAW was on first. It's because RAW is the most watch cable show regularly so no matter what follows it, its going to get a ratings boost.

Also, Stone Cold is a way bigger name then Brock Lesnar. As big as Brock Lesnar is, Stone Cold will always be a more well known name in front of a more well known product. The WWE we have to remember is still much more popular then the UFC. If you do not think so then ask yourself this: Do you think the UFC could host 4-5 shows a week and sell out every single one? Remember 3 of those shows won't even be on TV.

SickNasty
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I think its more along the lines of theatrics. Many people just don't like fighting yet love the WWE. As far as this being the fall of MMA...I don't think so. Its people watching a show based on another show they like, which happens to be hugely more popular than the UFC.

JadedX
04-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Probably had to do with Wrestlemania and then Raw being the lead in.
This.

CHAEL fan
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
One show is a fake soap opera for basement dwelling guys and the other is the "as real as it gets" version.

Oh give me a hell yaaah!

KevoOnTheRadio
04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
One show is a fake soap opera for basement dwelling guys and the other is the "as real as it gets" version.

Oh give me a hell yaaah!

Which one is TUF?

IceCold48
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM

where exactly did i say it was a rip off? by knock off i ment poor man's TUF which imo it is i always hated it.

plus this isn't even the same tough enough as when i was like 10 its a remake.

Sakara=Excitement
04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
where exactly did i say it was a rip off? by knock off i ment poor man's TUF which imo it is i always hated it.

plus this isn't even the same tough enough as when i was like 10 its a remake.

Who said you said anything about it being a rip off? I said TUF was a rip-off of Tough Enough. And you used the word knock-off which is the same as rip-off.

Knock-off

To copy or imitate, especially without permission

which sounds awfully like...

Rip-off

To steal from

Either way, TUF is stale at this point and Tough Enough was resurrected and feels fresh to those who don't know any better. Plus Junior Dos Santos is NOT a draw and the casual fan don't really care about him.

Charlie Sheen
04-09-2011, 09:04 AM
From only seeing one eposide they have seemed to of changed the style of TE to more of a TUF enough feel. TUF may have been a TE knock off originally but it has been much more successful and as mentioned the marketing around this new TE has been around making it look more like a TUF style show imo. So while TE might have been around longer I think saying this new TE feels like a diet TUF.

I'm 99% sure TUF got on the air because "the boys" in the WWE(HHH has been named in many interviews as not liking it back then) hated it and thought it exposed the business and there was a hole in the networks programming.

I remember reading an interview with Paul Heyman who was in a meeting when Vince was asked if he cared if they put the UFC on after RAW and Vince said he didn't. Heyman flipped and said "they will kill us if you let this happen".. Smart man that Heyman!

I think the show rated so highly due to Austins reaction to this chicks favorite wrestling match of all time... Melina vs Alicia Foxx haha

http://countingthelights.com/ftp://gomeisa.dreamhost.com:21//countingthelights.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mbubkz.jpg.gif

It also shows how much of a draw Austin still is. If Cena was hosting I doubt they would have gone near Brock and TUF

YukonJordan
04-09-2011, 09:17 AM

I'm not a WWE enthusiasist by any stretch of the imagination but it bugs me to no end when people call pro-wrestling "fake". The outcomes are indeed pre-determined and it is what some have called athletic theatre but it isn't fake. Those guys(and girls) injure themselves all the time because they do 250+ shows a year. When you hear of guys like Kurt Angle putting on full matches with broken necks you have to give them respect.

IceCold48
04-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm not a WWE enthusiasist by any stretch of the imagination but it bugs me to no end when people call pro-wrestling "fake". The outcomes are indeed pre-determined and it is what some have called athletic theatre but it isn't fake. Those guys(and girls) injure themselves all the time because they do 250+ shows a year. When you hear of guys like Kurt Angle putting on full matches with broken necks you have to give them respect.

i didnt mean to be disrespectful im saying that its a reality show for a scripted show as opposed to one that is an actual competitive sport. im a big pro wrestling fan.

HillbillyDeluxe
04-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Just watched the first episode....Not Impressed.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
04-10-2011, 01:20 AM
I've met Austin a couple of times backstage over the years and he's pretty chill and polite as hell.

The key to his success in film and when he does return to WWE, is that he's only used intelligently, sparingly and is deamed a 'special attraction' and in turn, when he does appear, it means something. Look at the two biggest names in wrestling history, Hogan and Flair, they can't draw shit on TNA because they've worn out their faces by not restraining their exposure to only the most beneficial moments.

In contrast Rock came back after like 7 years and did some great business because he's never around, that's when they miss you and you get the Road Warrior pop.

Believe me when I say this, Steve Austin has some of the most intelligent marketing people behind his career. DTV action movies that hit a massive audience and rare returns to his core base to keep them interested in his outside projects. Can't say a bad thing about Austin.

Adambomb
04-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Can't say a bad thing about Austin.

Me either, but he needs to come back for a feud with CM Punk to really end his career on a high note. There's just an unlimited amount of potential there. An epic feud like that could extend his stardom to a new generation by giving them the opportunity to become fans of his work firsthand instead of on youtube.

When you actually look at the last year of Austin's career, it's a bit disappointing. That last feud with The Rock in 03 was solid, but we'd seen it 3 times before. Before that he took his ball & went home, and the final year of his full-time wrestling career (May 01-May 02) wasn't exactly the best way to go out. The Power Trip angle never went anywhere as Trips got hurt, the Invasion angle started hot but was a flop, the nWo angle got cut short because Hall is a drunk & nobody (at the time) wanted to boo Hogan.

None of those feuds were horrible or even that bad, but the best draw in the history of the business can probably do better.

XxChAoS32xX
04-11-2011, 06:02 AM

I don't know if someone else pointed this out yet but WWF's Tough Enough went on air YEARS before the first TUF season.

I was a wresting fan when I was a kid, lol.

Cat--Smasher
04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't know if someone else pointed this out yet but WWF's Tough Enough went on air YEARS before the first TUF season.

I was a wresting fan when I was a kid, lol.

Thanks tips, maybe read the rest of the posts before posting.

Bas1
04-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I think people are not used to Brock being humble.