PDA

View Full Version : Machida thinks it is too early to declare a Jon Jones era

Kimbo> Rampage
04-07-2011, 10:33 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/ben_fowlkes/05/24/ufc.98.recap/lyoto-machida-sun.jpg

It is too early to say if Jon Jones will retain the travel-happy UFC light-heavyweight title belt, according to former champion Lyoto Machida.

When Jones won the belt from Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua at UFC 128 there was immediate talk of a ‘Jon Jones’ era starting. But having seen his own ‘Machida Era’ last for just two fights, the former champion knows the dangers of speaking too soon.

“Sometimes a guy does not need to be very experienced, because sometimes the guy is good. I think the same way. I saw [Jones] and said this guy had the potential to reach. But as we said, this [light-heavyweight] category is much disputed and it is difficult to tell if the guy will stay champion long,” he told Tatame.

“When I won, everybody said I'd stay long. But it happens that you become a target, you become much studied, you are much persecuted, everybody wants to beat you… Of course he has physical qualities and techniques to stay for long. We, as his opponents, have to study the best way to beat him because he is very strong physically.”

Machida deflected the question of whether he has the perfect style to beat Jones.

“I think my style is very different from most people, and I believe in my style, but one thing is that with all sincerity, I have not thought of it. I am not in a position to compete for a title, not at this time. Everything can change in a matter of days, but not what is happening now. The next step we are going to Couture, the next step is most important to me.”

Finally, the former champion also says that he had a talk with UFC president Dana White and was relieved to learn that White’s statements about being Machida possibly being cut from the roster if he loses his next fight were “not quite what he meant”.

Machida faces Randy Couture on April 30th on the main card of UFC 129. The card is headlined by Georges St. Pierre defending his belt against former Strikeforce and EliteXC champion Jake Shields.

Fighters Only Magazine - The World's Greatest MMA Magazine - News - Machida thinks it is too early to declare a Jon Jones era (http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=6574)

CHAEL fan
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I GUARANTEE that Jones' era will last longer than the Machida error.

Kimbo> Rampage
04-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Machida never declared it an era, Joe Rogan said it so everybody set it in stone. Machida's reign didnt start when he beat rashad, it started years ago when he was beating down guys like franklin, bonner, thiago silva... It stopped when he lost to shogun. Rashad and thiago silva might not have the biggest fan bases, but their first and only loss happened to machida, aside from rashad also beating silva.

roaddawg
04-08-2011, 12:39 AM

That is a bold statement considering his contenders.

D4D
04-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Machida is correct

IceCold48
04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
machida knows from experience when its too early to declare an era

Bas1
04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
It is too early he is right, but you can't deny that Jones is a special athlete. I'd like to see how far he takes his talent.

IceCold48
04-12-2011, 01:29 AM
That is a bold statement considering his contenders.

machida era to me only lasted less then 6 months. i dont think the shogun "win" should be considered.

one title defense and jones surpasses machida and i think he will beat rashad with ease.

Pasha K
04-12-2011, 05:31 AM
I also think Jones will beat Rashad, but if he fights Machida he can be in a lot of trouble.
Machida is my favorite to beat Jon

Kimbo> Rampage
04-12-2011, 06:19 AM
machida era to me only lasted less then 6 months. i dont think the shogun "win" should be considered.

one title defense and jones surpasses machida and i think he will beat rashad with ease.

Era's dont just start when they win a championship. He was undefeated up the shogun fights. Im not a fan of the term era being used with any fighter, maybe guys like fedor, anderson, and gsp but that is about it. Even ultra talented guys like aldo or jones need to win a lot more fights before you even say that. Even considering their obvious skillset, talent, and athleticism. Every fighter will go through hurdles. gsp was soposed to kill hughes in their first fight, got sloppy and get armbarred and even set back by serra, still safe to call it a gsp era with those few losses. will they have bumps in the road during their best years like gsp or will they only lose towards the end of their careers like fedor.

I also think Jones will beat Rashad, but if he fights Machida he can be in a lot of trouble.
Machida is my favorite to beat Jon

well said

It is too early he is right, but you can't deny that Jones is a special athlete. I'd like to see how far he takes his talent.

agree