PDA

View Full Version : Here's an odd thread - Who are some of the WORST UFC Champions ever?

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 01:27 AM
I know we always like to talk about the best the sport has seen and who is P4P the best. But what about the guys who should of never been UFC champ to begin with? Some I can think of...

Matt Serra
Dave Menne
Vitor Belfort (LHW title)

Who are yours?

Edit*
Wow...am pdd? That should read "an odd" thread not am pdd. Sorry I'm at work....like that's a good excuse,lol. MOD's please fix

SimpleJack
04-22-2011, 01:30 AM
This thread lends itself to fighter bashing and is therefore being relegated to Noob Jack.

Keep it clean on this one guys.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 01:32 AM
No fighter bashing here. To have the best, there has to be the worst right?

N00bjack? Boo

SimpleJack
04-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Not a personal shot.

You know damn good and well that someone is going to bash in this thread simply based on the subject.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Not a personal shot.

You know damn good and well that someone is going to bash in this thread simply based on the subject.

Oh I know it's not a shot at me. :grinsmile1:

And if anyone bashes, let me at 'em, let me at 'em.

So who are some of your choices Don?

braddahmatt
04-22-2011, 01:44 AM
GSP haha

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 01:47 AM
GSP haha

No Really Matt. Who are some of the guys you think are the worst?

SimpleJack
04-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Forrest Griffin- belonged in the UFC but I never regarded him as champion
Steve Jennum- Really???

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Steve Jennum- Really???

Nice call on Jennum, lol.

I don't exactly agree with you on Forrest although I can see where you are coming from. Was it the fact that he was on TUF or? He had a hell of a run beating Shogun and Rampage. I also had him up all 3 rounds against Rashad until he (self-admittedly) decided to coast at the end of the 3rd round when Rashad was on top.

IceCold48
04-22-2011, 02:05 AM
carlos newton

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 02:10 AM
carlos newton

Best..Ballfro..Ever.

He beat Pat Militech with a move you would see on the playground and then got body slammed through the mat by Matt Hughes. Sucks because he actually choked Hughes out but Big John didn't catch that as Newton's skull exploded off of the mat.

SimpleJack
04-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Nice call on Jennum, lol.

I don't exactly agree with you on Forrest although I can see where you are coming from. Was it the fact that he was on TUF or? He had a hell of a run beating Shogun and Rampage. I also had him up all 3 rounds against Rashad until he (self-admittedly) decided to coast at the end of the 3rd round when Rashad was on top.

He has simply never struck me as a champion. Simply a product of some right-place/right-time situations.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 02:16 AM
He has simply never struck me as a champion. Simply a product of some right-place/right-time situations.

I respect that.

That's how I feel about Matt Serra. Granted he shocked the world and did what everyone thought was impossible but the re-match told the true story as he went on to get absolutely smashed. He was a run-of-the-mill fighter and lucked up in the Finale of TUF 4 to be granted a title shot and made the most of it. But before that, his crowning achievement was getting KO'd by a spinning backfist by a guy in a shiny diaper.

Vitor, all of my feelings aside, as always been the UFC's golden child and a very, very good front runner. But aside from blitzing Wandy, his career never really amounted to anything in the UFC. A product of the UFC hype machine in a time when the UFC needed a new breakout star. Not too bad though as that star happened to be a balding 30 some odd year old wrestler named Randy.

IceCold48
04-22-2011, 02:24 AM
i always never thought evan tanner was that great a champion but everyone else seemed to adore him.

and i dont remember the guys name but he won one of the later ufc tournaments he was Brazilian but i think he is one of the worst also.

but i think the 3 originally posted and steve jenum are the worst.

but honestly ive only seen tapes of the old ufcs considering i was 2 when the had the first tourney so i guess my judgment of the older fighters doesnt carry much weight.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 02:28 AM
i always thought evan tanner was that great a champion but everyone else seemed to adore him.

and i dont remember the guys name but he won one of the later ufc tournaments he was Brazilian but i think he is one of the worst also.

but i think the 3 originally posted and steve jenum are the worst.

but honestly ive only seen tapes of the old ufcs considering i was 2 when the had the first tourney so i guess my judgment of the older fighters doesnt carry much weight.

Yeah I think some of the original champions could be viewed as a given on this type of list. And I agree with your Evan Tanner pick. People LOVE this guy and while I don't dislike him, I guess I just never got "it" about him.

Repenter
04-22-2011, 02:39 AM
evan tanner was a fucking warrior, man. he deserved to be a champion at the time. dave menne though?

Dr. MMA
04-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Matt Serra
Dave Menne
Vitor Belfort (LHW title)

Agree with those picks. Belfort's win was nothing to boast about either.

I also think Ricco should be in there. He was getting dominated by Randy until the late turnaround to win the title and then gets brutalized by Tim Sylvia in his first defense 5 months later.

Steve Jennum- Really???

Oh if we're going with UFC tourney champions, then let's add in Jerry Bohlander.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Agree with those picks. Belfort's win was nothing to boast about either.

I also think Ricco should be in there. He was getting dominated by Randy until the late turnaround to win the title and then gets brutalized by Tim Sylvia in his first defense 5 months later.

Oh if we're going with UFC tourney champions, then let's add in Jerry Bohlander.

Yeah definitely agree with Ricco. Poor Suave. Fell into drugs and alcohol and pissed away the prime years of his life.

How would y'all feel about AA being on that list?

The Muss
04-22-2011, 03:33 AM
vitor belfort
rashad evans

i believe while tito had an amazing run as champion he was always ducking the better competion so he could hold onto the belt and seem better then he actually was ie. Chuck and randy

tim sylvia was a boring as shit champion and wished he never claimed that title

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 03:47 AM
vitor belfort
rashad evans

i believe while tito had an amazing run as champion he was always ducking the better competion so he could hold onto the belt and seem better then he actually was ie. Chuck and randy

tim sylvia was a boring as shit champion and wished he never claimed that title

Ah ol' Rashad. I have a hate/hate relationship with him and it's a shame because I can see him for his talents as a fighter but his actions, 'cry-baby' attitude and overall persona just rub me the wrong way. And not to mention he seems to lose all the fights he wins, lol.

Lost the first round to Sean Salmon. Yeah read that twice.
Lost the Tito fight
Lost the first round to Chuck
Lost the 3 rounds against Forrest
Raped by Machida

And what does he do? Go back to utter humpfest Rashad circa 2007.

I think Tim will always have that knock on him, being a boring champion. Although that headkick on Tre Telligman was fucking sweet.

Goremire
04-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Josh Barnett - won the title, peed dirty and bailed.

The8thPlague
04-22-2011, 06:03 AM
King Mo.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 06:26 AM
King Mo.

:huh:

Goremire
04-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Just thinking Sak, what's your criteria for 'worst' in regards to champions? Fighting style, conduct while champ, ducking of opposition, legitamacy of opponents beaten to become champ, what?

I mean, there's an argument for 'worst' in regards to champs who abdicated their title and engaged in lengthy court battles with the UFC thereby necessitating 'interim' titles and all sorts of unpleasantness and damage to the UFC brand - not that I'm naming names or anything (because doing so would get me lynched around these here parts...)

That, and I'm taking the piss :)

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Just thinking Sak, what's your criteria for 'worst' in regards to champions? Fighting style, conduct while champ, ducking of opposition, legitamacy of opponents beaten to become champ, what?

I mean, there's an argument for 'worst' in regards to champs who abdicated their title and engaged in lengthy court battles with the UFC thereby necessitating 'interim' titles and all sorts of unpleasantness and damage to the UFC brand - not that I'm naming names or anything (because doing so would get me lynched around these here parts...)

That, and I'm taking the piss :)

That's the beauty of this thread, there is no criteria but the criteria YOU set forth for your picks. Just as long as you back up the pick with some sort of opinion, it's all good.

Goremire
04-22-2011, 07:41 AM
That's the beauty of this thread, there is no criteria but the criteria YOU set forth for your picks. Just as long as you back up the pick with some sort of opinion, it's all good.

In that case, I'm sticking with Barnett. I was tossing up between him and Sylvia, but at least Sylvia copped his punishment, didn't deny his steroid use, and got back to the top of the mountain clean.

JayBird
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Tim Sylvia
Matt Serra

Andrei Arlovski????

and maybe even Brock Lesner

roaddawg
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Who is your favorite fighter again Sakara?

Masscore
04-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Tim Sylvia
Matt Serra

Andrei Arlovski????

and maybe even Brock Lesner

I can agree with Matt Serra and maybe even AA because he really beat nobody woth mentioning as champion (the headhunter and Eliers) but he did defend the title.

But Syliva and Lesnar where not bad champions. Syliva defened his title a total of three times as UFC HW champion which is still a record and so is his two title defenses in row who he is tied with... Brock Lesnar and Randy Couture. Plus one could easily make the argument that AA and Monson or Mir and Carwin are better wins then beating Rizzo twice in a row. So yea, niether of those guys should be anywhere near this list.

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Who is your favorite fighter again Sakara?

What?

bgamma
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Tim Sylvia for the simple fact that the guy wore his Championship belt EVERYWHERE!?!
He was a large heavyweight at a time when the most talented in the division were 225-240 pounders, so I feel his size allowed him to dominate the smaller opponents.

I get being proud to be champ, but wearing the belt at the airport...really? C'mon man.

TheKidInside
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Best..Ballfro..Ever.

He beat Pat Militech with a move you would see on the playground and then got body slammed through the mat by Matt Hughes. Sucks because he actually choked Hughes out but Big John didn't catch that as Newton's skull exploded off of the mat.

I don't remember that happening, he was dazed as they went to the mat and BJM cost Newton a BIIIIIG match by simply ignoring the insanely tight triangle choke that was on Hughes. furthermore since stacking your opponent on the cage is illegal so should be the decision!

that's the same as in grappling tournaments. so next time i slam a kid out cold I'll simply say "oh it wasn't teh slam, it was the mats...."

Kimbo> Rampage
04-22-2011, 10:53 AM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z291/Phumduck/sylviaedit.jpg

m1ckeykn0x
04-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Sean Sherk.

I hate to say it.

ARSchwartz
04-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Are we counting Interim Champs as well? Cuz if so I'm throwing Frank Mir into the mix.

W.Silva>C.Norris
04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Lets not forget that even a bad champion had to beat _someone_ to get that belt in the first place. Id be more apt to pick names of guys who should never have gotten the chance to fight for a belt, rather then guys who beat a champ to become a champ.

ARSchwartz
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Forrest Griffin.

cnlclink
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Steve Jennum- Really???

Agreed with Forrest big time. I still don't think he won that fight besides winning I believe it was the second round. Something weird in that fight to me too, Rampage "couldn't" even walk on that one leg then all of a sudden it wasn't bothering him at all? What do a lot of Griffin's fights have weird things happening in them? Either way I don't think Forrest won that fight, he didn't do enough and I really don't think he's all that great anyway though I respect his heart.

snakebite
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
This is a boring thread to say the least, let's have a whole thread with 5 pages of the same shit over and over again.

0mega1
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I don't remember that happening, he was dazed as they went to the mat and BJM cost Newton a BIIIIIG match by simply ignoring the insanely tight triangle choke that was on Hughes. furthermore since stacking your opponent on the cage is illegal so should be the decision!

that's the same as in grappling tournaments. so next time i slam a kid out cold I'll simply say "oh it wasn't teh slam, it was the mats...."

i thought it was head-spiking/ pile driving that was illegal, not slams/ powerbombs and its my understanding that you can head spike a guy if he's holding onto a submission:confusedsmilie:

but anyways:

big timmay and AA

Machida (thats right i said it):grinsmile1:

menne

serra

Kimbo> Rampage
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
i thought it was head-spiking/ pile driving that was illegal, not slams/ powerbombs and its my understanding that you can head spike a guy if he's holding onto a submission:confusedsmilie:

but anyways:

big timmay and AA

menne

serra

Are we talking about a champions skill level, talent, ranking, quality wins, amount of title defenses? I thought it was about skill level, lyoto destroyed previously undefeated rich franklin, rashad evans, and thiago silva. He may not be the best lhw now but its hard to find many better than him.

Flynnja
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Sean Sherk and Josh Barnett

Both winning titles and then being stripped cause of drug testing.

I don't see how you can get a worse 'Champ' then them.

JayBird
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Good call with Sean Sherk

xdevilhawk138x
04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Tito "I bitch about injuries" Ortiz

"Splenda" Rashad Evans

Masscore
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Good call with Sean Sherk

I do not know about Sherk. The guy dominated Florian and Franca and until Edgar came along was the only guy to even make a fight half-way interesting with BJ Penn. Add in his only losses are to some of the best all-time (Hughes, GSP, Penn and Edgar). So while he wasn't a great champion he is far from being one of the worse.

Sean Sherk and Josh Barnett

Both winning titles and then being stripped cause of drug testing.

I don't see how you can get a worse 'Champ' then them.

There is a big difference between Sherk's and Barnett's case. Sherk barely failed and went on to pass a blood test and lie dector test and was basically suspended still so the CSAC could cover their asses. Since then he has not failed and been tested several times.

Barnett has failed a ton of times and basically is never to fight in the states.

TheKidInside
04-22-2011, 04:10 PM

but anyways:

big timmay and AA

menne

serra

what? no spiking, slamming or whatever the heck you want to call it ALLOWED. it's not TECHNIQUE it's brute force meant to HURT your opponent

Kimbo> Rampage
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
what? no spiking, slamming or whatever the heck you want to call it ALLOWED. it's not TECHNIQUE it's brute force meant to HURT your opponent

Im still not sure about that rule and what spiking really is. hughes didnt spike newton, rampage didnt spike arona, randallman didnt spike fedor?

anybody have better clarification.

Masscore
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Im still not sure about that rule and what spiking really is. hughes didnt spike newton, rampage didnt spike arona, randallman didnt spike fedor?

anybody have better clarification.

Spiking is different then slamming. Spiking is what Marquadt did to Lietes. When he basically piledivered him into the mat on the top of his head. Slamming is when you making the back of the head land on the mat.

mma #1 fan
04-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Josh Barnnett
Bas Rutten
Mark Coleman
And any one who was stripped of the title after testing positive for steroids .

Sakara=Excitement
04-22-2011, 07:46 PM
This is a boring thread to say the least, let's have a whole thread with 5 pages of the same shit over and over again.

http://www.lebasketbawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bron-bron.jpg

CHAEL fan
04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Tanner, Menne, Serra, Rashad, Forrest......to be continued

braddahmatt
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Are we counting Interim Champs as well? Cuz if so I'm throwing Frank Mir into the mix.

Mir was actually the champion not just interim

hmmmm I would have to say Sylvia comes to my head first and if I really really think about it I would have to say Maurice Smith.

Kimbo> Rampage
04-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Maurice Smith.

One of the best strikers mma has seen. He wasnt all that well versed in mma at the time but he was very talented.

Pasha K
04-23-2011, 02:33 AM
Forrest
Mir
Lesnar

Sakara=Excitement
04-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Forrest
Mir
Lesnar

Lesnar? Why?

GSPvsSILVA2012
04-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Tim Sylvia ................... hands down.

Dr. MMA
04-23-2011, 02:55 AM
Tito "I bitch about injuries" Ortiz

Really? Tito is one of the worst champs ever? The guy who defended his title 5 times over a 3 year period? He may bitch about injuries now, but back when he was champion, he was probably the most dominant fighter in MMA.

I still think Vitor takes the cake for his LHW title victory because he didn't even win it in an impressive fashion, it was by a cut within 49 seconds of the fight. At least the other fighters won in a more impressive fashion before losing it (e.g. Serra, AA and Sylvia).

I actually don't even know why AA is even mentioned on this list as he won the title in impressive fashion and defended his title successfully twice in impressive fashion. All those 3 fights ended in the 1st round.

Sakara=Excitement
04-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Really? Tito is one of the worst champs ever? The guy who defended his title 5 times over a 3 year period? He may bitch about injuries now, but back when he was champion, he was probably the most dominant fighter in MMA.

I still think Vitor takes the cake for his LHW title victory because he didn't even win it in an impressive fashion, it was by a cut within 49 seconds of the fight. At least the other fighters won in a more impressive fashion before losing it (e.g. Serra, AA and Sylvia).

I actually don't even know why AA is even mentioned on this list as he won the title in impressive fashion and defended his title successfully twice in impressive fashion. All those 3 fights ended in the 1st round.

Not to mention that Tito's title defenses in the LHW division is a record with him defending it 5 times.

Dan
04-23-2011, 04:36 AM
I'd have to place Arlovski on the list somewhere, not because he wasn't pretty dominant in his prime, but because he (in my opinion) was only so dominant because the standard of the HW division was so much lower than it is today. It's sort of like he was the best of a bad bunch.

I guess if he's retired (for whatever reason) after losing his title then I wouldn't have placed him here, but after seeing how quickly his career went downhill I feel he's been exposed (still love the dude though!)

braddahmatt
04-23-2011, 06:15 AM
One of the best strikers mma has seen. He wasnt all that well versed in mma at the time but he was very talented.

We are talking about MMA right? It's like saying James Toney doesn't deserve to be called a horrible MMA practioner because he was a great boxer.

H33LHooK
04-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Lesnar? Why?

It could be argued that it's because his championship was the byproduct of the UFC hype-machine, his size advantage, and a weak HW division at the time.

I agree with that to a certain extent, but will qualify it by saying that I don't think Brock's chapter in the UFC is written yet.

Were he to retire now, I would include him on the aforementioned list.

beau420
04-27-2011, 01:11 AM
There is a big difference between Sherk's and Barnett's case. Sherk barely failed and went on to pass a blood test and lie dector test and was basically suspended still so the CSAC could cover their asses. Since then he has not failed and been tested several times.

Barnett has failed a ton of times and basically is never to fight in the states.

Don't think to yourself that Sherk is so clean.

Does anyone else remember his UFC all access show. The amount of pills he takes everyday on top of the supplements and other food that he eats.

The only people that have conditioned themselves to eat what he has, have definitely pushed the limits on more than one occasion.

Now, sure, he could have taken a supplement that did contain tainted stuff, like several NFL player did a few years ago with StarCaps...and definitely in the past there have been other supplement companies to do the same.

I don't know who I think is more of a juicer. The guy who is a freak when it comes to his diet and is taken every borderline supplement that isn't illegal (possibly, illegal yet) or do you trust the chubby guy with barely any build at all?

And Sherk did fight against K-Flo with a torn rotator cuff and was forced to rehabilitate afterwards...so roiding after an injury is nothing new.

I personally don't trust either.

I think both were very impressive champs. Barnett was the first to TKO Randy....the first to ever finish Randy to something other than a submission...which was Randy's problem in his early career. I thought Randy was going to win.

Sherk lost to GSP, but then beat Nick Diaz and K-Flo before there was a 155 champ. I don't think roids were the difference with him beating Hermes Franca and him losing...but that's just me.

My vote is for Vitor. He has always been a juicer. Since I first saw him in UFC...I loved him...still love watching him...and root for him....but I have no doubt in my mind that he has used different steroids during his career. (like probably on and off between 96-06) But as a champ...worst performances I regretfully admit.