PDA

View Full Version : Cesar Gracie on GSP being slippery

Sakara=Excitement
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Bloody Elbow - Pound-for-Pound the Best in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) Commentary, News and Community (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/)

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/192652/georges-st.-pierre.jpg

"Jake had a leg a couple of times, GSP got out very well, it looked like a couple of times his leg just kind of slipped right out of there, you know, so it must have been really slippery or something, I donít know." - Cesar Gracie on the Brian Hemminger Radio Show (transcribed by Fight Opinion) ...here we go again.

CtGreat
05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
The only thing I thought was very odd was that GSP's corner was pouring water on him in-between every round. Isnt that illegal?

Also, Shields didnt even look like he was struggling to get GSP down. Its like he was just holding onto him and hoping that GSP would fall down.

snakebite
05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
^ no pouring water in between rounds is not illegal.

H33LHooK
05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
GSP was taking big mouthfuls and spitting them out over his head to land on and roll down his body.

I've seen him do that pre-fight, but can't remember him doing that between rounds before.

GSP is hairless, drenched with sweat, and strong like bull; I image trying to hold a single on him for any length of time would be incredibly difficult.

jimmythefish
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
randy couture in his corner said after the 1st round with machida 'hes all slippery'
just means they have a good workout before the fight and get sweaty i guess

Cat--Smasher
05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I dont quite think Ceaser's quote quite constitute him claiming GSP greased. Sensationalism at its best.

goodtimes
05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm sure there are things that fighters can do before a fight to decrease the friction on their skin. I've heard that some fighters soak in baby oil after the weigh ins, and pouring water on oneself would help for sure. Neither are necessarily illegal, and I think GSP's speed, strength, and reflexes made him feel very slippery as well.

m1ckeykn0x
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
There was a takedown I remember watching that Jake attempted on GSP that GSP slipped out of in such a way that I expected to hear someone mention something about greasing sooner. I don't believe it though.

GSP must have not received the memo that when Jake Shields hugs his leg, that's the part where he was supposed to fall down or something.

IceCold48
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
this is odd because i thought this during the fight but i didnt say anything because whatever what are the odds im right but hey maybe i was.

LordCC
05-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I got the impression that Randy was suggesting that Machida was abnormally greasy with his comment after the first round. In real time I thought that GSP's leg was slipping out of Shields' grip like he was trying to grab a bar of wet soap and all of the previous accusations we have heard made against him sprung to mind.

Even if Machida and GSP did 'grease', which as a fan I hope they didn't, how can the previously mentioned grey area tactics be properly governed? And should they be? Clearly wiping fighters down with a towel isn't going to help if they have oil in their skin pores that will be released as they sweat.

Sakara=Excitement
05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I dont quite think Ceaser's quote quite constitute him claiming GSP greased. Sensationalism at its best.

We ALL know exactly what Cesar is talking about. He wants to cast doubt in the MMA community without going on record with "GSP greased" with absolutely no proof. But when others make this claim about Jackson fighters being "slippery", it means only one thing and that's that the fighter in question greased. End of story. Cesar is indirectly saying GSP greased.

H33LHooK
05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
There is one sure-fire way to ensure one isn't cheated out of a win due to an opponent bending the rules:

Knock him the fukc out.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
05-02-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm surprised Jake even knew whether or not GSP was 'slippery' given how little he even tried to touch him in this fight.

Honestly, I'd love to get Cesar's take on a more relevant issue, like the slippery logic of Shields' gameplan(of lack thereof) and what blame Cesar's going to take, being as he is his coach. It's not like this camp lacks the inability to man up to their errors.....

Uvall
05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
I think it's funny that Anderson Silva was blatantly and obviously wiping the globs of vaseline from over his eyes and rubbing it all over his chest and shoulders during the name announcing just before the fight started, when he fought Belfort. And no one even thinks to mention anything about that but will quickly jump on GSP for "greasing". So what if the fight Silva had didn't go into a grappling match where it mattered much, doesn't change the fact that he was caught on camera doing it before a fight where it 'could' of played a role in the outcome. If you don't remember it or missed it, go back and watch the fight again, it's very obvious and right out in the open.

But yeah I didn't see anything unusual in the GSP vs Shields fight, besides the fact that Shields didn't look like he put an ounce of effort into actually trying to take Pierre down beyond the single leg hugging that happened a couple times. You would think if GSP, lets say, soaked in a bath of baby oil, that it would play a part in GSP having problems grabbing and taking down his opponent, right? Seemed he could take Shields down at will. So I would say I agree with H33LHook when he said, "GSP is hairless, drenched with sweat, and strong like bull; I image trying to hold a single on him for any length of time would be incredibly difficult.".

Xanatos
05-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd care a little more about this if Jake had actually put his heart into the few attempts he made to take Georges down. He had a lame game plan, and that was obvious to everybody.

BBG
05-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Jesus Christ the Shields camp and fanboys will make every attempt possible to make an excuse for the man that night. Shields himself was humble enough to take it like a grown up, so should everyone else.

rabidsponge
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
seems as tho he thinks so much of jakes ability to take people down that when it doesnt happen the opponents tdd cant be the sole reason for it

end it with a left
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I fucking hate hearing about fighters/coaches saying their opponent was slippery after the fight. I'm not saying the should go all Palhares and leave yourself open to get bombed but if Jake thought GSP was greased he 4 opprotunites inbetween rounds to say something to the ref and didn't. If you're not going to take action during the fight when it matters than keep your mouth shut after when it doesn't change the fact you got handled.

Xanatos
05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I feel pretty confident that if he was greasing, somebody would have noticed, like the ref who rubs him down before he enters the octagon. just sayin'

jody
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
^^^That's what I think too.I didn't really read much into it.Sounded more like he's in denial:)

KillahKimbo
05-02-2011, 10:04 PM
We ALL know exactly what Cesar is talking about. He wants to cast doubt in the MMA community without going on record with "GSP greased" with absolutely no proof. But when others make this claim about Jackson fighters being "slippery", it means only one thing and that's that the fighter in question greased. End of story. Cesar is indirectly saying GSP greased.

I dont know about GSP/Shields, but GSP getting caught greasing vs Penn and about 5 other fighters hes fought saying he greases is enough proof for me to assume he greases every fight. Alot of fighters take roids and grease thats just how it is.

Flynnja
05-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Wow that's some solid proof. Stay on the case champ!

rough-n-tumble
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe Cesar Gracie would like to comment on his fighter intentionally swiping an open hand extended fingers across his opponents eyes.

If there were a chance of GSP greasing then they should have said something and the ref could have swiped his skin for signs of oil. But after the fight you can make any accusation to make yourself feel and look better. I can only image the whine fests that go on at this gym.

Fear My Hammer Fist
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I dont know about GSP/Shields, but GSP getting caught greasing vs Penn and about 5 other fighters hes fought saying he greases is enough proof for me to assume he greases every fight. Alot of fighters take roids and grease thats just how it is.

It's stuff like this that really makes me realize the Theory of Natural Selection is just what it says it is.... a theory.

The Sword
05-03-2011, 11:57 AM
well from the pictures that were posted this morning by my boy Sakara, I'm sure Shields loved the fact GSP was slippery.
:laughing4:

goodtimes
05-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Jesus Christ the Shields camp and fanboys will make every attempt possible to make an excuse for the man that night. Shields himself was humble enough to take it like a grown up, so should everyone else.

Um, where are all these Shields fanboys you speak of? I'm not really seeing any... A lot of people don't like GSP though. Kind of goes with being a dominant champ, and his hate train is no where near as long as Silva's.

GL Jeff
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Haha, so Jake goes for a few single leg take downs and doesnt get them. And then all of a sudden GSP is greasing? I sweat like a mother fucker, people get slippery,it happens. And honestly,if GSP has been doing it for so long,he would of been caught by now.

Its just assholes,not giving credit where it was due. GSP beat Shields with one eye, and thats that. Dont shit on someone else's achievements because your fighter sucks,and had no game plan what so ever.

2mcgrath
05-03-2011, 01:41 PM
jake just had no luck getting him down,didnt even really try that hard didnt look like to me

BlunTForcE
05-03-2011, 02:49 PM

It's stuff like this that really makes me realize the Theory of Natural Selection is just what it says it is.... a theory.

Hahahaha.

Aren't there refs/officials/cameras, etc. around the arenas before and after the fights? I'm sure there are ways for fighters to grease and get away with it if they really wanted to. However, GSP arguably has the most attention focused on him before, during and after fights, so I fail to see how somebody or some official would not spot illegal greasing.

I agree with most people above - give the dude credit where it's due. He's obviously a dominant champion and just because you don't like GSP (or can't beat him, in the case of most UFC WW's) doesn't mean that he's doing something illegal.

Jake sucked, his gameplan sucked, and he lost.

Cat--Smasher
05-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Cesar Gracie clarifies comments, GSP did not grease - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/323387/Cesar-Gracie-clarifies-comments-GSP-did-not-grease/)

Cesar Gracie was made aware of this misinterpretation and immediately clarified his comments on the Underground Forum:

Posted: May 3rd: 1:40 PM

Literally just got a call about a slippery comment I made and wanted to set the record straight. GSP slipping out of stuff does not mean he greased. Guys fighting in swim trunks can make things slippery. Spitting water on yourself and sweating can make things slippery. It is not illegal.

GSP won and is the Champ.
Cesar

Xanatos
05-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Good on Cesar for clarifying

BlunTForcE
05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
His clarification was as stupid as his original statement.

"He's slippery and greasy and Jake couldn't grab on to him to take him down.. but what I really mean is, he was probably just sweaty..."

Might as well just keep your mouth shut Gracie.

Sakara=Excitement
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Cesar Gracie clarifies comments, GSP did not grease - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/323387/Cesar-Gracie-clarifies-comments-GSP-did-not-grease/)

Haha, someone got a hold of ol' Cesar and made him apologize. Why even say he's "slippery?" Whats the point? Because he was trying to cast doubt and insinuate that GSP greased. Cat, can you not see that?

bingo
05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
well from the pictures that were posted this morning by my boy Sakara, I'm sure Shields loved the fact GSP was slippery.
:laughing4:

Perhaps it was Shields own lube...errrr...grease...uhhh, never mind!

rivethead
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

I find it shocking that bloodyelbow--pound for pound the worst combat sports interweb site in existance--would stoop to sensationalist tactics in their attempts at journalism.

which is why I'm noobjacking this, because it sucks, and they suck.

rh

Xanatos
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I find it shocking that bloodyelbow--pound for pound the worst combat sports interweb site in existance--would stoop to sensationalist tactics in their attempts at journalism.

which is why I'm noobjacking this, because it sucks, and they suck.

rh

you don't like much of anything do you?

SickNasty
05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
you don't like much of anything do you?

Winking trolls with red and green spikey hair seems to tickle his fancy quite well...

JadedX
05-05-2011, 02:05 PM
"Jake had a leg a couple of times, GSP got out very well, it looked like a couple of times his leg just kind of slipped right out of there, you know, so it must have been really slippery or something, I donít know." - Cesar Gracie on the Brian Hemminger Radio Show (transcribed by Fight Opinion) ...here we go again.
Here what goes again, d!ckhead? Cesar hadn't stated that GSP greased, he just stated that GSP's leg was slippery or something. Fcuking ass-clowns always want to start drama on message boards. Well, it worked.