PDA

View Full Version : Hector Lombard. Underrated?

Pasha K
05-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I am personally very surprised how no one talks about how a match between Lombard and Anderson or Jacare would go.

Lombard is 29-2 (one of the best records in MMA), he has not lost in almost 5 years (Last loss was to Mousasi in 2006).
He maybe does not fight Top 10 competition, but he wins, wins, and wins. Most of his wins are by KO.

Hopefully he goes to UFC or SF, I think he could be a very very dangerous fighter there.

It makes me laugh how when some guy in the HW division gets a couple of fast wins there are inmediately talks about how he would do against Cain or Fedor. However here we have a guy that has been very dominant for some years and no one is talking about how he would do against the champs in the famous organizations.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-15-2011, 11:14 PM
No, imo he is highly overrated by most, but still a lot underrate him. There are a lot of people on both sides. He is a top10 MW for sure and would make some great matchups. I could easily see him beating anybody at mw, not named anderson. Anderson would pick him apart, huge reach advantage, much better movment and he would overwhelm him. He is a very tough match for jacare and all the other mw's. Imo he would kill somebody like sonnen who he would sub or ko, and be hard to take down, and jacare he would keep it standing and beat him there.

I do feel many underrate him, but even more overrate him.

Put it like this, he reminds me of mousasi in that sense. A lot of people just discount him, but a lot act like he is the best.

dbader08
05-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I personally think he would get beat by alot of top MWs. Vitor and Anderson would destroy him. Munoz and Okami would beat him imo. His problem is he is mostly a counter striker, he usually waits for his opponents to throw and then counter. However, that strategy doesn't work as well when your fighting the top guys in the world and when everyone else is taller than you so he'd get obliterated with that strategy against Vitor or Silva. Bisping would also beat him pretty handily imo, as would Wand (if he fought smart and utilized alot of kicks). I could see him and Lawler being a great fight, someone would get Ko'd.Stylistically, he matches up well with and I could see him beating Maia and Jacare due to his strong wrestling and powerful standup, but even in those fights he could get outstruck from the outside if he didn't catch them with a big shot. Lombard vs Fejiao/Henderson would be good fights to.

I think he'd lose to alot of the guys I mentioned but only 1 way to find out for sure.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Well, he's not overrated, that's for sure.

I think alot of people are ignorant to his ridiculously lush judoka background and the fact that more or less, he GETS to stand and bang and use his brutally powerful boxing because nobody wants to get even close to a clinchwar with him....but if he wanted to grab on and ride on, I have no doubt that he could and would just grind his foes down with his judo/bjj buffetcombo.

My only issue with Hector is that while he's obviously a top ten-ish MW, he really hasn't gotten the quality of matchups to really expose him to really top tier challengers that'll give us some insight into how he'll be able to cope with an elevated level of competition. I believe he has really, REALLY good wins but really hasn't been tested in a couple of years and in that regard, I wish they could offer him someone like Lutter, Horwich or Leites, who'll trouble him on the ground and really make him work harder, because he's been able to coast by in alot of these recent fights on his overwhelming natural talent than his foes.

His record is stacked, but he needs a bigger challenge and much like Eddie, I sadly don't believe Bellator is capable/willing to spring for what he probably needs at this juncture in his career.

LefthookStcrook
05-16-2011, 01:44 AM
I feel that hes OVERrated myself. I've seen rankings(on here) that've put him as the #5 MW in the world. I could easily name 10MWs that I think would beat Lombard.

I like the guy and he always puts on exciting fights. But it takes more then winning against lesser competition to be brought into the top10, let alone the "super fights" convo. Imo anyways.

Lets be honest, Vitale, Doerksen, Shlemenko, Goodman and Silva aren't top level fighters. In fact most of the people Lombard fought have losing records in the UFC and were cut because of it. My point is..

As sad as it may be, its going to be really hard for non-Zuffa fighters to reach that point in their careers(being brought up in super fight convos), Because most of the best talent through out all the divsions are Zuffa employed.

Eddie is one of the few exceptions that I think could hang around the rankings for a bit and not be Zuffa employed. Hes basically doing what Lombard is doing, except hes beaten every top non Zuffa LW, some were even top5-10 at the time. Theres no top MWs out there that Lombard can beat and stay relevant imo.

With all this said, I would love to see him come to the UFC or SF and make a name for himself. The guy is explosive and would be a fan favourite in his first fight. He most likley wouldn't win the title, but he would still be getting more recognition/money if he came over to the UFC or SF.

Belcher would be a tough test for him.

TheKidInside
05-16-2011, 02:11 AM
i think he's somewhere between being overrated and underrated...he's not fighting good guys aside from my boy Alex Shlemenko (who has ZERO ground game, his manager Alexey was on my show and said that Shlemenko only started grappling a year ago or so) and he's beating guys like Jay Silva and Niko Vitale (who? exactly) and Joe Doerskon (tough but definitely NOT a measuring tool for skill, IMHO)

his losses to the Moose and Gono were back in the day and I'd like to see him step up. That's one of the reasons I was SOOO looking forward to seeing SF/Bellator "co-promotion" and seeing him fight Jacare (that's the fight I most wanna see from him honestly) and that's not an option anymore. I love Bellator with all my heart I really do, I go to their shows with the most excitement out of any other org out there (including SF and UFC) but their MW division is as bad as their LW and HW division haha

IceCold48
05-16-2011, 02:43 AM
lol im surprised this is even a question. lombard is extremely underrated like many of bellator's top fighters (alvarez, askren, curran, konrad, etc)

LefthookStcrook
05-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Well said dude, I love Bellator and watch it every chance I get. But their Upper Weight classes are hurten to say the least.

If they dont get their hands on some tough up and comers for those divisions, their gonna be stuck with the "Zuffa castaways" at best, and its hard for a fighter to make a big name for himself when thats all hes got to fight.

As I said Id love to see him come over to the UFC or SF and start getting some more recognition. Bellator isnt going to be the best option for him for the rest of his career, hes already 33 and still hasnt hit that bigtime stage, or had that bigtime fight yet.

IceCold48
05-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Well said dude, I love Bellator and watch it every chance I get. But their Upper Weight classes are hurten to say the least.

If they dont get their hands on some tough up and comers for those divisions, their gonna be stuck with the "Zuffa castaways" at best, and its hard for a fighter to make a big name for himself when thats all hes got to fight.

As I said Id love to see him come over to the UFC or SF and start getting some more recognition. Bellator isnt going to be the best option for him for the rest of his career, hes already 33 and still hasnt hit that bigtime stage, or had that bigtime fight yet.

i think in the future and even right now top young talent will opt to go to bellator over TUF and strikeforce challengers because you get more fights and 100 grand if you win the tourneys.

TBEAR
05-16-2011, 04:59 PM
i think in the future and even right now top young talent will opt to go to bellator over TUF and strikeforce challengers because you get more fights and 100 grand if you win the tourneys.

SF will be merged in,I just fill it coming and those challenger people will most likely be updating thier resumes for TUF

KevoOnTheRadio
05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I think a Bellfort/Lombard fight would be pretty epic.

Mac
05-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't think he's underrated at all. I have watched his last few fights and while I know he has KO power, great judo and supposedly great jj I haven't been overly impressed. I watched a marginal fighter keep him at bay for the most part Saturday night and just imagine that a decent striker with any length would be a nightmare for him.

I personally would have him in the top 10 but closer to 10 than to 5. So to me he is a little overrated in that sense. He is 33 so I doubt we will truly get to find out how he compares to top MWs seeing as he isn't going anywhere in the near future.

TheKidInside
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't think he's underrated at all. I have watched his last few fights and while I know he has KO power, great judo and supposedly great jj I haven't been overly impressed. I watched a marginal fighter keep him at bay for the most part Saturday night and just imagine that a decent striker with any length would be a nightmare for him.

I personally would have him in the top 10 but closer to 10 than to 5. So to me he is a little overrated in that sense. He is 33 so I doubt we will truly get to find out how he compares to top MWs seeing as he isn't going anywhere in the near future.

:lovesmilie11: this +1

beau420
05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

+2

And just to add....I do question his inability or unwillingness to join the UFC....he was invited in Australia...then he had visa problems supposedly even though he fought for Australian in the Olympics?

I think he likes being a big fish in a small pound. I hear he also really likes beating up on people in his gym....I don't like hearing about that...that he punishes his sparring partners more than your average fighter.

I was hoping he would have left Bellator 2 years ago, but unless fans demand it and get on his case, I think he will retire in Bellator. The only thing I could think of that would get him out of Bellator at this point is if he doesn't get fights or if Bellator gets sold or goes under....and I think they are here for at least another season.

TheKidInside
05-16-2011, 10:35 PM
there's a post fight press conference bit where he goes off on a reporter who asked ALEXANDER SHLEMENKO IF HE WANTS A REMATCH, duh!!!!!!!

He's a total douche