PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Beatdowns in high level MMA.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Iv seen some threads coming up like this, show your top 15 biggest beatdowns, with two top fighters. ex: not a silva/leban or jones/vlad. As vlad and leban are not top fighters.

1.Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin
2.Fedor vs. Sylvia
3.Jon Jones vs. Shogun
4.Rampage vs. Liddell
5. Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar
6.Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin
7.Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans
8.Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber
9.Bj Penn vs. Sean Sherk
10. GSP vs. Hughes 2/3
11.Wanderlei Silva vs. Rampage
12.Shogun vs. Rampage
13.GSP vs. Serra 2
14.Lesnar vs. Mir 2
15.Alistar Overeem vs. Brett Rogers

Xtremo
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
GSP vs. Fitch,
BJ Penn vs Stevenson
pretty much Cain Velasquez vs anybody he has faced, even the Kongo fight was brutal imo.
Dos Santos vs Roy Nelson
Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva...hey, a beatdown is a beatdown...
I would add these, these are certainly worthy of being top 15.

Is this list in order because I would take down Rampage vs. Liddell because Rampage didn't really dominate, he just caught Liddell with a good punch and finished quickly...It doesn't really make sense being number 4...

and exactly what do you mean when you say

Iv seen some threads coming up like this, show you top 15 biggest beatdowns, with two top fighters. ex: not a silva/leban or jones/vlad

Is that a question or...oh, wait you want us to put down our top 15...but i dont really understand why u wrote the part in red? I think you didn't mean to write the word "not"...

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
GSP vs. Fitch,
BJ Penn vs Stevenson
pretty much Cain Velasquez vs anybody he has faced, even the Kongo fight was brutal imo.
Dos Santos vs Roy Nelson
Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva...hey, a beatdown is a beatdown...
I would add these, these are certainly worthy of being top 15.

Is this list in order because I would take down Rampage vs. Liddell because Rampage didn't really dominate, he just caught Liddell with a good punch and finished quickly...It doesn't really make sense being number 4...

and exactly what do you mean when you say

Is that a question or...oh, wait you want us to put down our top 15...but i dont really understand why u wrote the part in red? I think you didn't mean to write the word "not"...

Ya those are good, I was going to put in penn-stevenson but joe was never considered a top fighter.

I used silva/leban and jones/vlad as examples because leban and vlad werent top fighters. just like a lauzon vs. ruidiger or nick diaz vs. scott smith. We could find a ton of fights that were beatdowns, in the ufc and lower level mma, but these fights have a a lot more meaning.

Xtremo
05-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Ya those are good, I was going to put in penn-stevenson but joe was never considered a top fighter.

I used silva/leban and jones/vlad as examples because leban and vlad werent top fighters. just like a lauzon vs. ruidiger or nick diaz vs. scott smith. We could find a ton of fights that were beatdowns, in the ufc and lower level mma, but these fights have a a lot more meaning.

hmmm...they (the Lebens, the Stevensons, the reudigers) weren't top top fighters in the world, but they are still high level MMA fighters...Stevenson fought for a title for petes sake, I think that qualifies him as a top fighter actually...

So technically, the title of this thread is beatdowns in high level MMA and well, the UFC is high level MMA so any beatdown in the UFC should have the right to be on a top 15 list...

I think the top 15 should be NOTABLE and MEMORABLE top 15 beatdowns in high level MMA. I think.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2011, 06:23 PM
hmmm...they (the Lebens, the Stevensons, the reudigers) weren't top top fighters in the world, but they are still high level MMA fighters...Stevenson fought for a title for petes sake, I think that qualifies him as a top fighter actually...

So technically, the title of this thread is beatdowns in high level MMA and well, the UFC is high level MMA so any beatdown in the UFC should have the right to be on a top 15 list...

I think the top 15 should be NOTABLE and MEMORABLE top 15 beatdowns in high level MMA. I think.

I guess it depends on how people would define "high level mma" but that is why I tried to explain it. If we included all the fights, there would be much more to add. I go to local show on a monthly basis, you see a ton of beatdowns. Not because they are great, but because of the mismatches.

Its not just the beatdown, it is who you are beating down.

leban crushing jason thacker or guillard beating down ruidiger.... vs. Anderson beating down hendo or franklin or what jones did to shogun.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
05-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Off the top of my mind:
Lesnar/Mir II
JDS/Nelson
Jones/Shogun
Wand/Sakuraba
Arona/Sakuraba
Rampage/Chuck
GSP/Penn II

SimpleJack
05-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Penn/Sanchez was far worse to me than any of his other beatdowns.
Bigfoot/Fedor (God, it hurts to say it)
GSP/Koscheck 2 was really bad
GSP/Fitch was equally bad

Kimbo> Rampage
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Ya, if your going on strictly what their face looks like after the fight, then these might be the top fights for sure. GSP dominated fitch and Koscheck and beat them up. Bj lit diego up standing, making him go back up a weight class. Fedor vs. bigfoot is a fight id like to forget.

TBEAR
05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Anderson v Forrest.

I mean damn Anderson stood there and dared Forrest to do something and then (T)KO'ed Him

SimpleJack
05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Anderson v Forrest.

I mean damn Anderson stood there and dared Forrest to do something and then (T)KO'ed Him

Not to mention Anderson came up a weight class and Forrest had just lost the title.

Xtremo
05-18-2011, 03:04 AM

write:grinsmile1:

GSP/Fitch was not equally bad, it was like 5 times more worse than the GSP/Kos fight because Kos wasn't at any point in trouble. Fitch on the other hand was getting rocked here, getting rocked there....getting rocked everywhere!

The Sword
05-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Iv seen some threads coming up like this, show your top 15 biggest beatdowns, with two top fighters. ex: not a silva/leban or jones/vlad. As vlad and leban are not top fighters.
1.Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin
2.Fedor vs. Sylvia
3.Jon Jones vs. Shogun
4.Rampage vs. Liddell
5. Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar
6.Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin
7.Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans
8.Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber
9.Bj Penn vs. Sean Sherk
10. GSP vs. Hughes 2/3
11.Wanderlei Silva vs. Rampage
12.Shogun vs. Rampage
13.GSP vs. Serra 2
14.Lesnar vs. Mir 2
15.Alistar Overeem vs. Brett Rogers

But at the time Leben faced Silva he was considered a top fighter. Had he beat silva that night he would have got a title shot with Rich, that why silva got it. Just saying.

dbader08
05-18-2011, 04:44 AM
Penn vs Sanchez was a pretty brutal beatdown, especially the 1st and 5th rounds.
Carwin vs Mir also comes to mind, as does GSP-Penn and GSP-Fitch. At least those are some that weren't already on your list.

FFFRpickup
05-18-2011, 05:04 AM
don't forget the Cro-cop/Wandy 2 fight. Wandy took a beating before he got his head kicked off. I believe that was the beginning of Wandys decline.

At the time the fight took place wandy was the #1 ranked LHW and Cro-cop was ranked at #2 or 3 HW.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-18-2011, 05:44 AM
But at the time Leben faced Silva he was considered a top fighter. Had he beat silva that night he would have got a title shot with Rich, that why silva got it. Just saying.

Yes, but people who knew anderson saw how bad of a matchup he was at the time for leban. I didnt predict he would go on an all time run but he clearly improved his groundgame 10 fold and it was no longer a weakness.

But in the leban fight, we all knew that leban would stand with anybody. I remember saying that anderson was going to destroy leban and nobody knew who he was. but fans of mma, not just the ufc knew that if leban stood with him, he would get wrecked. Anderson has had the reputation of being one of the best strikers ever in mma, long before coming to the ufc.

IceCold48
05-18-2011, 05:54 AM
well arvloski knocked out timmy in like 10 seconds in a title fight i dont know if that qualifies as a beatdown.

carwin mir was for the interim title so i think that should definetly be counted be counted.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-18-2011, 06:01 AM
well arvloski knocked out timmy in like 10 seconds in a title fight i dont know if that qualifies as a beatdown.

carwin mir was for the interim title so i think that should definetly be counted be counted.

AA dropped tim, then subbed him with a heel hook if i remember correctly.

Carwin-Mir is definitely an all time beatdown.

IceCold48
05-18-2011, 06:45 AM
AA dropped tim, then subbed him with a heel hook if i remember correctly.

Carwin-Mir is definitely an all time beatdown.

you are right i was thinking of buentello for the belt after it was vacated becaue of mir's accident.

Pasha K
05-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Fedor vs Herring
Fedor vs Kohsaka II
Lesnar vs Mir II
Shogun vs Jones (it sucks to admit this)

And there are a lot lot more, in Pride for example there were several examples of Shogun, Wand, Mirko, Fedor etc. giving brutal beatings to their opponents.

The Sword
05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, but people who knew anderson saw how bad of a matchup he was at the time for leban. I didnt predict he would go on an all time run but he clearly improved his groundgame 10 fold and it was no longer a weakness.

But in the leban fight, we all knew that leban would stand with anybody. I remember saying that anderson was going to destroy leban and nobody knew who he was. but fans of mma, not just the ufc knew that if leban stood with him, he would get wrecked. Anderson has had the reputation of being one of the best strikers ever in mma, long before coming to the ufc.

agree. I always thought the UFC set leben up in that fight just to show the (UFC only) fans who the Anderson was, the same way I think they set up forrest. Fighters like leben and forrest are great match up for anderson. I'm just saying Leben was a top fighter when that fight happen so to not have it on the list is a shame. but a pretty good list none the less.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-19-2011, 09:20 PM
agree. I always thought the UFC set leben up in that fight just to show the (UFC only) fans who the Anderson was, the same way I think they set up forrest. Fighters like leben and forrest are great match up for anderson. I'm just saying Leben was a top fighter when that fight happen so to not have it on the list is a shame. but a pretty good list none the less.

He was having an impressive fighter coming off of tuf1, put it like that. Not sure if he was a top fighter though. Leban said he was going to send anderson back to japan and we remember how that fight turned out...

Masscore
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Not going to list 15, but I think number 1 has to be Penn v. Sanchez. That one of the most brutal 5 round beatings I have ever seen a single human take. Sanchez who is a top level fighter could do nothing to Penn and Penn pretty much did whatever he wanted. Sanchez was 0-27 for takedowns and only landed 8 strikes, thats less then 2 strikes per round. Meanwhile Penn landed 150 strikes, so Penn outstruck Sanchez 30 to .625 per round. Plus who can forget that nasty cut that ended that fight.

TBEAR
05-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Randy vs Toney was fun to watch also LOL

Dr. MMA
05-19-2011, 11:16 PM

That's a good list, although I wouldn't put GSP/Kos 2 in there because to me that was a shutdown (of what Kos could even implement) versus a beatdown like GSP actually beating down Fitch.

Although Bigfoot/Fedor was a beatdown for majority of the second round, the first round wasn't and it didn't help that the second round ended in a neutral position with them exchanging leglocks but the beatdown aspect is definitely up there.

Penn/Sanchez and GSP/Fitch was a true beatdown. Sanchez and Fitch just got everything pounded out of them for 5 rounds each. Anderson/Forrest was only 3 minutes long but it was the most level of embarrassment in the shortest amount of time that I have ever witnessed.

Another beatdown in high level MMA (considering it was a main event) was Tito/Shamrock 1.

CHAEL fan
05-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Hathaway vs Sanchez -----Diego got plowed in that particular fight, which in turn, was a pleasure to watch....YES!!! YES!!! :)

Death Beast
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Randy vs Tito, Tim and the first fights vs Chuck and Vitor were all huge beatdowns against top level guys
Sadly Nog vs Randy was kind of one too, not sure if you'd still call Randy top level then but he was one fight removed from being champ so I would