PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn vs. Jake Shields Planned

Cat--Smasher
05-25-2011, 08:16 AM
BJ Penn vs. Jake Shields Planned, Jon Jones To Pass On Surgery

Former UFC champion BJ Penn is making plans for his return to the Octagon after withdrawing from a July rematch with Jon Fitch and hopes to face fellow contender Jake Shields in a matchup that could put the winner in line for another title shot.
BJ Penn vs. Jake Shields Planned, Jon Jones To Pass On Surgery | MMA Fight Scoop (http://www.mmafightscoop.com/2011/05/24/bj-penn-vs-jake-shields-planned-jon-jones-to-pass-on-surgery/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ufcscoop+%28MMA+Fight+Scoop%2 9)

Pasha K
05-25-2011, 08:27 AM
I like that idea.
BJ by desicion

Kimbo> Rampage
05-25-2011, 08:43 AM
I like that idea.
BJ by desicion

As do I, it will be interesting. Not that different than the fitch fight. I dont see either subbing the other. Shields will try and get him down the entire fight and bj will have a big standup advantage. He can hurt you if you mess up and will go after the kill.

GSPvsSILVA2012
05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Jake by UD. I'd rather see Shields\Fitch honestly to find out the ultimate super blanket. Plus it would be an entertaining fight to my sick and twisted amusement :)

GL Jeff
05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Ummm,in no way shape or form will the winner get a title shot after this fight unless GSP moves weight classes. BJ was destroyed last time,and that makes him 0-2 against GSP, no reason for a third.And Jake was soundly defeated by a one-eyed GSP,so itll be way to soon. Diaz and Fitch are at the top of the pack,and should be the next ones to fight for the title.

Sakara=Excitement
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Another title shot? UGH

Can we get some new fucking contenders in the WW division STAT.

LefthookStcrook
05-25-2011, 11:41 AM
So if BJ wins we get to see Penn/GSP 3?, and if Shields wins we get to see GSP/Shields 2?

And I the only one that notices something fucky going on there?

The8thPlague
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd rather see Shields\Fitch honestly to find out the ultimate super blanket.
Ain't that the god awful truth.

rivethead
05-25-2011, 04:53 PM
BJ was destroyed last time,and that makes him 0-2 against GSP, no reason for a third.

...so there was no reason for rampage/Wandi III because that one finished the same way the first two did, right?

So if BJ wins we get to see Penn/GSP 3?, and if Shields wins we get to see GSP/Shields 2?

And I the only one that notices something fucky going on there?
I think you are assuming a lot that probably isn't true: a) that the source is accurate and entirely fabricated like 80% of MMA "journalism" and b) that dana would actually keep his word if the source was quoting him directly. History should show us that niether of those things are likely to stand up.

I think a lot of "if's" are in order: if the fight actually happens, and if Penn were to get past Sheilds with a win, he should then face a re-habbed Fitch. If Penn beats Jon, he's absolutely earned a 3rd fight with Georges.

If Penn loses to Jake, he should forfeit his rematch with Fitch and set up a Shields/Fitch contender bout.

I know people are clamoring for a GSP/Diaz fight, and while I don't think Nick has even remotely done anything to deserve it, I understand that it will be pretty entertaining, if not particularly competitive. I don't really agree philosophically with fighters getting title shots based on entertainment value, but the UFC has already irrevocably crossed and re-crossed that line, so I'd expect it to happen.

As a purist who has been following the sport for a long time, what I'd actually like to see is Georges moving up to MW for a tester-fight. I wouldn't set up the GSP/Silva superfight right off the bat--that would be pretty unfair to Georges, in my opinion--but I'd have him face a solid mid-ranked MW like Maia or even Wandi. A GSP/Wandi bout would qualify as a superfight, for sure, and it would give Diaz time to actually face some solidly ranked contenders and the stuff with Penn/Fitch/Sheilds to work itself out.

Facing Wandi or Maia would also give Georges some experience at the heavier weight class, which he absolutely should have if he's ever going to face Anderson. It would suck for leben or Munoz if he got matched with either Wandi or Maia, but they'd be able to deal with it.

Regardless, I'm still doubtful that any of the allegedly-leaked Penn/Jake stuff is accurate.

rh

Sakara=Excitement
05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
It's weird, the title of this thread says the fight is planned but in the article posted it says that BJ is hoping to fight Shields. WTF is that? lol

KevoOnTheRadio
05-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Everybody calm the hell down. Theres a big difference between "In line for a title shot" and "NEXT in line for a title shot." They are both "in line" for a title shot. Diego Sanchez is "in line" for a title shot, just closer to the back then the front. No one is saying the winner is "Next in line" for a title shot. Shit, the article doesn't even say 100% that the fight is going down. Besides, anybody other then Fitch getting the next title fight is pure garbage. Diaz included.

rivethead
05-25-2011, 05:58 PM
It's weird, the title of this thread says the fight is planned but in the article posted it says that BJ is hoping to fight Shields. WTF is that? lol

Par for the course in typical MMA "journalism."

rh

Cat--Smasher
05-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Ya, that and its lack of any major source was the reason I threw it in Noob Jack.

Sakara=Excitement
05-25-2011, 07:38 PM
So would Shields just over power BJ? Would BJ blitz his ass and finish him in the first? How would that fight play out?

Cat--Smasher
05-25-2011, 10:10 PM
If this fight were to ever happen I would like to see BJ keep Jake on his feet and out box him much like GSP attempted to do... maybe with a KO finish though. But hard to say, I think it could go either way.

On a different note, Sakara - how about a new pic... the shock of a couple fruity Shields pics have worn off and now I am just tired of seeing that shit eating grin:grinsmile1:

FCK
05-26-2011, 01:29 AM
JS vs BJ Penn would be very interesting, but at WW and the atheletisism of JS, I can't see BJ winning this match past the 2nd round. BJ seems to have suffered from the bigger stronger heavier WW's and Shields would be no different to GSP in terms of strength and weight. Shields would push BJ's cardio above and beyond what its capable of substaining, and Shields knows he can do this.

I am so bored with the WW divisions contenders though. BJ vs GSP 3 is a fight nobody really wants to see. BJ seems to hang around like a bad smell, and after the slander/liable bullshit that BJ crapped out of his mind/mouth after "grease gate" he doesn't even deserve a shot against GSP, as he went out and out to destroy GSP's reputation.