PDA

View Full Version : Nik Lentz coach reports Oliveira fight ruled No Contest

Cat--Smasher
06-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Nik Lentz coach reports Oliveira fight ruled No Contest

Greg Nelson

Nik wins Fight Of The Night Bonus, and the fight was ruled a No Contest due to the illegal knee

Nik Lentz coach reports Oliveira fight ruled No Contest - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/334482/Nik-Lentz-coach-reports-Oliveira-fight-ruled-No-Contest/)

m1ckeykn0x
06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Man, what an incredible disappointment for young Charles Oliveira. Nik Lentz has been flying under the radar putting away DEC after DEC for quite some time now and is no easy LW opponent. I expected this fight to be on the ground the entire time with Lentz on top but Oliveira was making short work of him and looking quite impressive on the feet. That kid has so much talent and potential and is only 21 years old.

0mega1
06-27-2011, 09:04 PM
ive been trying to find this fight, anyone have a link?

MrSpanky
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Stupid ref. He was horrible last night. Not only did he miss the illegal knee, but during the Griffin vs. Manny fight he was SO FUCKING ANNOYING. He wouldn't shut up telling the fighters "more action" every 2 seconds. He wasn't a good ref when he had to be one, and he was a nuisance when he was supposed to just be a ref.

TheKidInside
06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
NOT Charles' fault so it shouldn't be HIM who gets penalized!!!

Chute_Boxe44
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
NOT Charles' fault so it shouldn't be HIM who gets penalized!!!

How is it not his fault for illegally kneeing him Lentz in the face?

I know it wasn't intentional, and I know that he was caught up in the moment, but it WAS his fault haha.

Its the REF's fault that he didn't jump in, do his job and stop it when it happened. I think it's more then fair to call that fight a "no contest".

Cat--Smasher
06-27-2011, 10:49 PM
No ruling yet on controversial Oliveira vs. Lentz fight at UFC on Versus 4

The Pennsylvania Athletic Commission has yet to decide whether Charles Oliveira's submission victory over Nik Lentz stands.

Until then, his win purse has been withheld by the UFC, according to Marc Ratner, the promotion's Vice President of Regulatory Affairs.

Oliveira's win came after he landed an illegal knee to Lentz's head in the second round of their meeting at this past Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, which took place at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh and aired live on Versus. The strike was not caught by the fight's referee, and Lentz soon after tapped out to a rear naked choke.
No ruling yet on controversial Oliveira vs. Lentz fight at UFC on Versus 4 | MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/news/24175/no-ruling-yet-on-controversial-oliveira-vs-lentz-fight-at-ufc-on-versus-4.mma)

NLRepublic
06-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Stupid ref. He was horrible last night. Not only did he miss the illegal knee, but during the Griffin vs. Manny fight he was SO FUCKING ANNOYING. He wouldn't shut up telling the fighters "more action" every 2 seconds. He wasn't a good ref when he had to be one, and he was a nuisance when he was supposed to just be a ref.

Holy shit dude I was saying the same thing the whole time! Like what a d-bag, doesnt he realize that could totally fuck up a fight for someone

For example, if he is screaming that every 2 seconds (which he was) a fight might feel pressured to rush forward firing shots, which would likely leave him open to be taken down

terrible ref on all fronts

Cat--Smasher
06-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Oliveira Confident UFC Live 4 Win Won’t Be Overturned by PSAC

Speaking Monday with Sherdog.com, “Charles do Bronx” apologized for the foul and guaranteed that it was never his intention to cheat, especially in a fight that he felt he was already in control of.

“He wasn’t knocked out by the knee,” Oliveira told Sherdog.com. “He got hit, but kept fighting, grabbed my legs, and only after the second knee landed did he let me climb on his back to submit him. The move was in the heat of the fight. I didn’t intend to use it to my advantage. I was winning the second round the same way I won the first. I’m confident the commission won’t declare it a no-contest. It was a mistake on the referee’s part. The result is in their hands, but, for now, I’m the winner, and I’m okay with that.”

Following Sunday’s bout at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, the 21-year-old Paulistano paid a visit to Lentz in the hospital, where the American reportedly underwent surgery to repair a broken orbital bone caused by the illegal knee. Afterward, Oliveira spoke with UFC Matchmaker Joe Silva, who praised his performance against the previously Octagon-unbeaten “Carny.”

“Joe Silva said I was brilliant,” Oliveira revealed. “He said for the UFC, I was the winner, but the Pennsylvania commission opted to review the tape. I’m frustrated, because that moment took the luster off my performance and turned the attention to something else.”

Oliveira, who trains under Brazilian vale tudo legend Jorge “Macaco” Patino, attributed his strong performance to the hard work he put in following his first career loss to Jim Miller in December.

“Only I know how hard I trained. I left my family, my girlfriend, and the people I love in Brazil to train in the United States with Macaco five or six times a day,” said Oliveira. “I practiced everything, from my BJJ to wrestling, judo and muay Thai. I rested only two days after my loss to Jim Miller. I’m happy with my performance, but sad because I couldn’t dedicate this victory to the Brazilian people the way I wanted.”

For now, Oliveira can only wait and hope for a decision in his favor by the PSAC. However, he also has eyes on a new fight, one that he believes could put him closer to the top of the UFC’s deep 155-pound division.

“I’m not far from a title shot,” Oliveira asserted. “I think if I had defeated Jim Miller, I’d be really close to it, but I’m not in a hurry. I think I’m in the right weight class, fighting well, and the crowd and UFC executives like my fighting style, and it will happen someday. I’m working hard not only during training, but also studying English to talk to the crowd and respond by myself during interviews. Maybe if I win two or three more fights, I can get a title shot.”

The PSAC is expected to make a ruling on the outcome later this week.

Oliveira Confident UFC Live 4 Win Won (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Oliveira-Confident-UFC-Live-4-Win-Wont-Be-Overturned-by-PSAC-33501)

trustkill
06-28-2011, 07:10 AM

I just watched the Griffin vs Gamburyan fight and that refereeing was a joke. Seems like he wanted to be ref, cornerman, and commentator at the same time. Too bad he couldn't think of an original catch phrase like Big John or Steve Mazzagatti . . . at least then he would have kept his mouth shut for the duration of the fights.

TheKidInside
06-28-2011, 09:49 AM
How is it not his fault for illegally kneeing him Lentz in the face?

I know it wasn't intentional, and I know that he was caught up in the moment, but it WAS his fault haha.

Its the REF's fault that he didn't jump in, do his job and stop it when it happened. I think it's more then fair to call that fight a "no contest".

ummm no because the ref jumps in, takes a point away at the worst and let it continue. it was the ref failing to do his job FIRST AND FOREMOST

Chute_Boxe44
06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
ummm no because the ref jumps in, takes a point away at the worst and let it continue. it was the ref failing to do his job FIRST AND FOREMOST

hahaha I don't understand your logic at all. It was the mans fault who KNEED HIM IN THE FACE WHEN HE WAS ON THE GROUND first and foremost

See, I have a shift button too

Cat--Smasher
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Greg Nelson: Illegal Knee 'Broke Nik Lentz's Eye Socket,' Bout Should Be Overturned

"It's the illegal knee that basically knocked Nik Lentz out so he could get his back and hook him," Nelson told MMA Fighting on Monday evening. "I mean, he was clearly down. That knee broke Nik Lentz's eye socket, so it was not a soft knee. He took his time, held the back of the head, wound up the knee and then let it go. ...It was a super hard knee that ended up doing a lot of damage."

But the referee for the fight -- Ohio's Chip Snider -- didn't intervene after the illegal blow, which shocked not only Nelson, but also observers at ringside, he said.

"All the other referees were jumping up, guys from the commission were jumping up, I was jumping up. A lot of people were wondering what was going on, why the fight wasn't being stopped, because it was so blatant. Then the crowd, when they saw the replay, it was doubly obvious to them."

At the moment, the result of the bout still stands as a win for Oliveira, but PSAC executive director Greg Sirb said the commission is currently in the process of reviewing the bout, and expects to have a ruling to announce on Wednesday.

"After the referee came to me and we said we'd look at it, he had no qualms about looking at it, and we're in the process of doing that," said Sirb, who added that no appeal from the Lentz camp was necessary in order to start the review process. Sirb said that both he and the referee will look at the fight separately and discuss it over the phone before arriving at a decision.

"We looked at it a little bit last night and the ref will look at it again today, just to make sure we're on the same page," Sirb said. "We should have something I imagine some time [Wednesday]."

Earlier this week, Nelson wrote online that the result of the bout had already been changed to a no contest, but that was based on information he got from UFC officials after the fight, he said.

"I was told by the guys at the UFC that it was going to be overturned. ...Of course I spoke to as many people as I could and they were reiterating to me that they were pretty sure the commission would overturn it. That was across the board. Everyone who saw it who I talked to, that's what they said. They couldn't believe that it wasn't stopped when it happened."

As for Lentz, he spent Sunday night in the hospital, having his badly damaged eye seen to. Nelson described his fighter as "really upset" with the result of the fight, though he was pleased to receive the $50,000 bonus from the UFC for Fight of the Night. Nelson also said Lentz would have to wait until he could get back to Minneapolis and see his doctors there before they would know the full extent of his eye injury.

Greg Nelson: Illegal Knee 'Broke Nik Lentz's Eye Socket,' Bout Should Be Overturned (http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/06/28/nik-lentzs-coach-thinks-bout-will-be-overturned-psac-expects-r/)

I dont really get when the title got the broken eye socket bit, especially considering Lentz only got a 60 day medical suspension.