PDA

View Full Version : 'Freak child' Jon Jones 'will be heavyweight champion'

Cat--Smasher
07-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Jones has already confessed he would like to challenge for the heavyweight belt in the future, admitting "there is no greater honour" in the sport than being heavyweight champion.

A Strikeforce v UFC champion v champion encounter with Dan Henderson could also be on his future agenda after Henderson said he would be fancy the fight, but brother Arthur is predicting his brother will hit the very top.

"I'm telling you, he's going to be a heavyweight champion someday," Arthur was quoted as saying by ESPN.
'Freak child' Jon Jones 'will be UFC heavyweight champion' - Arthur Jones | UFC News | ESPN.co.uk (http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/100183.html)

noahm
07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
This would not go well for Hendo imo. Jones is just too tall and long for a guy like Hendo to get to effectively especially since he has good wrestling skills. As to HW title, he could be a dangerous contender, but I don't think it will come nearly as easily as LHW. His size/reach etc, has been as much a factor as skill, and there are some big fast guys up there.

Leucoethiops
07-11-2011, 02:44 AM
If the fight were to materialize, my money would be on Cain to put a hurt on Jones in pretty short order.

CRisCO
07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Jones will have to move to heavyweight eventually is already huge.

dbader08
07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Not as long as Cain and Junior are in the UFC.

FCK
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Oh I could totally see Jones taking it to Cain personally.

If he could handle Hendo's striking, then he could handle Cain, as the guys have similar huge looping hooks, with the ability to stand and bang and get messy in the clinch.

I mean Jones would have the reach and height advantage over Cain, but the aggressive striking would be Jones biggest challenge, as we've yet to really see his chin tested against a top striker*. That's not to say he hasn't been up against a top striker, but just I've never seen him rocked and recovered from a punch from one of them.

I don't know how big Jones would weigh in though at HW, as I can't imagine him passing 240lbs...

I think he'd struggle with the larger HW's vets like Frank Mir.

Interesting future Jones has ahead of him. Its great to have a prospect like him in the UFC.

m1ckeykn0x
07-12-2011, 01:22 AM
I hope Jones cements his legacy in his LHW and moves on to become a great HW later on down the road. I would love to see him fight guys like Cain and JDS when he gets older and puts on more mass. Too bad we can't have the best of both worlds at the same time.

If Jon Jones does end up reigning the LHW divison for a long time and then decides to move up to HW and finds success, that would be amazing. He'd definitely go down in the books.

dbader08
07-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Oh I could totally see Jones taking it to Cain personally.

If he could handle Hendo's striking, then he could handle Cain, as the guys have similar huge looping hooks, with the ability to stand and bang and get messy in the clinch.

I mean Jones would have the reach and height advantage over Cain, but the aggressive striking would be Jones biggest challenge, as we've yet to really see his chin tested against a top striker*. That's not to say he hasn't been up against a top striker, but just I've never seen him rocked and recovered from a punch from one of them.

I don't know how big Jones would weigh in though at HW, as I can't imagine him passing 240lbs...

I think he'd struggle with the larger HW's vets like Frank Mir.

Interesting future Jones has ahead of him. Its great to have a prospect like him in the UFC.

You think he'd take it to Cain but struggle against a "larger HW" like Frank Mir? Thats a pretty bold claim man I don't see how you can honestly think that.

First of all Cain is a much better wrestler than Frank Mir and is also stronger in my opinion. Frank put on a lot of mass in a short period of time. Cain has been as big as he is now for a while and has really gotten used to his frame and his fight style compliments it well. Frank got manhandled by Carwin who couldn't do shit to JDS. Frank looks slower staning up in my opinion since putting on all that mass. It might compliment his wrestling more, but since when has Frank Mir been a wrestler? It helped him in his fights with Cro Cop and Roy Nelson, but its not going to help him in another fight with Carwin or a fight with Cain or JDS.

2nd of all, Jones hasn't fought Hendo. Also, Cain has much more versatile striking and is just a hell of a lot bigger. Another thing is, Cain has fewer fights than Jones does at this point and is going to continue to improve at just as quick of a rate if not a quicker one. We've seen Jones tire a bit in fights (not a lot) and we haven't seen Cain tire really at all. He went 3 hard rounds with Kongo, 2 hard rounds with Rothwell, and took out Lesnar and Nog in the 1st round and barely broke a sweat.

3rd, Jones still hasn't defended his title at LHW one time, so lets not be talking about him being HW champion until he actually does that.

TBEAR
07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
If the fight were to materialize, my money would be on Cain to put a hurt on Jones in pretty short order.

Not as long as Cain and Junior are in the UFC.

yup^^^^^

Kimbo> Rampage
07-13-2011, 03:00 AM
It gets overlooked that Jones was a Wrestling phenom in high school. I dont know why he didnt go to college but he could have done a lot there. He did win the JC championship.

Id love to see him at hw down the line. He clearly has the size and length needed. After he is done at lhw, take some time off to add some serious size. Even at hw they will have to deal with his insane reach.

FCK
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
You think he'd take it to Cain but struggle against a "larger HW" like Frank Mir? Thats a pretty bold claim man I don't see how you can honestly think that.

First of all Cain is a much better wrestler than Frank Mir and is also stronger in my opinion. Frank put on a lot of mass in a short period of time. Cain has been as big as he is now for a while and has really gotten used to his frame and his fight style compliments it well. Frank got manhandled by Carwin who couldn't do shit to JDS. Frank looks slower staning up in my opinion since putting on all that mass. It might compliment his wrestling more, but since when has Frank Mir been a wrestler? It helped him in his fights with Cro Cop and Roy Nelson, but its not going to help him in another fight with Carwin or a fight with Cain or JDS.

2nd of all, Jones hasn't fought Hendo. Also, Cain has much more versatile striking and is just a hell of a lot bigger. Another thing is, Cain has fewer fights than Jones does at this point and is going to continue to improve at just as quick of a rate if not a quicker one. We've seen Jones tire a bit in fights (not a lot) and we haven't seen Cain tire really at all. He went 3 hard rounds with Kongo, 2 hard rounds with Rothwell, and took out Lesnar and Nog in the 1st round and barely broke a sweat.

3rd, Jones still hasn't defended his title at LHW one time, so lets not be talking about him being HW champion until he actually does that.

Well, Frank Mir is bigger than Cain right? He's had a lot of fights where he has used his weight to really press his opponent up against the fence and control them from there - well attempt to at least.

And personally I think Frank Mir is stronger than Cain, but its not like we'll ever know for certain.

On Hendo, I was comparing striking styles more than ability. They both throw punches in bunches and are extremely aggressive strikers.

I'd say your "2nd point" are more opinion than fact made up of 3 other points.

We don't know how Cain will progress, I mean Phil Davis just injured his knee and lost out on a title contention fight. A very poignant move in his career.

I hope Cain doesn't substain any injuries any time soon, but it only takes a KO to knock a fighters confidence from out of his sails or an injury to a knee. He's blindingly good atm obviously, but as he's at the top, the only way is eventually down fighting the best HW's in the UFC. The only way we'll see Cain progressing as a fighter is from fighting the best, and currently I don't think there are many HW's that can challenge the best out of him to see that progression. JDS is the best complete package at HW to bring the best outta Cain currently, but otherwise the HW division is abit stark.

And I don't think Cain's showing of stamina Vs Jones really matches up, as Cain just beat Kongo on the ground for nearly 3 straight rounds. He's was in the dominant position without any weight on him and shouldn't have tired. Short fights ending before the 3rd are also going to be less tiring than a 3 round close decision too. Why would he be knackered after not even 5 minutes fighting? He's trained to fight 25.

And lastly.

'Freak child' Jon Jones 'will be heavyweight champion'
is the title of the thread.

But i respect your contrasting opinion :D

Kimbo> Rampage
07-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Frank is bigger and stronger than cain, but that is not as big as frank makes it out to be. Whever frank is fighting somebody smaller he always says "ill win because im bigger and stronger" Look at how much muscle he put on for the carwin and lesnar fight. He has become obsessed with it and would get kill by guys like JDS and cain who arent as big or strong as him.