PDA

View Full Version : Why I Will Always Be A Fan Of Melvin Manhoef

snakerattle79
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Why I Will Always Be A Fan Of Melvin Manhoef | Team Takeover – MMA Kickboxing Boxing Combat Sports (http://teamtakeover.tv/why-i-will-always-be-a-fan-of-melvin-manhoef/)

By Bloodstain Lane

I am going to level with you here…I am getting bored with MMA .

The reason why I am getting bored with the sport is because its becoming less about fighting to get knockouts and submissions and more about just getting the win by any means necessary. Nowadays fighters are fighting for themselves instead of the fans who pay their hard earned money for tickets, merchandise and pay per views. We are seeing more hugging, laying and stalling then punching, kicking and submissions and truthfully its turning me off from the sport. I’m sorry when I pay my hard earned 60 dollars for a UFC PPV and I see guys like GSP and Jon Fitch hug guys for the whole fight, I feel disgusted and ripped off.

But there is one fighter I will ALWAYS tune in to watch and his name is Melvin Manhoef. Now if you don’t know who Melvin Manhoef is, stop reading this article, take your hand and slap yourself or go on youtube and watch some of his highlights. Melvin is a Surinamese/Dutch fighter who trains out of the legendary Mike’s Gym in Holland. There is only one word to describe Melvin: Violence. He is arguably the most violent and aggressive fighter I have personally ever watched, the only other ones are his team mate Badr Hari,Mike Tyson and Wanderlei Silva. His hands are heavy like anvils, his low kicks are similar to a Barry Bonds swinging a Louisville Slugger baseball bat to your legs and his knee’s are like driving a sledge hammer to your face or rib cage.

To me Melvin DEFINES what fighting is all about: Go out and finish your opponent as quick as possible. When Manhoef fights you know what your getting, a good show, quality entertainment and like I said violence, in other words you are getting your money’s worth. Melvin fights for the fans and thats why I am a huge fan of his, I don’t care if he loses, I appreciate the mentality he brings to the fight game and I’d rather watch Melvin lose trying to take someones head off then watch a guy like GSP lay on a guy for 5 rounds just to secure the win. Kill or be killed, gotta love that.

I suggest everyone try to watch Melvin’s legendary fight with Cyborg Santos, easily one of the greatest MMA fights of all time and his 30 second destruction of Ruslan Karaev in K-1, trust me you wont be disappointed. I don’t know whats next with Melvin Manhoef but I do know i just want to see him fight whether its MMA or Kickboxing, heck I’d pay to watch Melvin fight a cashier at McDonalds. Anyway I just want to salute Melvin Manhoef for being who he is and always putting on a great show for the fans win or lose. Bloodstain & Team Takeover salutes you. That being said I will close out this article with a quote from the legendary Melvin Manhoef.

“I live for this shit”

FE_EatsChildren
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
gotta admit melvin manhoef is the man..

sonofsteven
08-03-2011, 04:29 PM
For the exact same reasons I got an Axe Murderer tattoo on top of my right foot even AFTER Leben broke my fuckn heart.

Y2JUBAE
08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh no lol. If you don't enjoy a wrestler laying and praying for 15-25 minutes you are not a "real mma fan" according to some...

I have to agree with the writer since I'm just a "casual fan" that enjoys fighters who try to finish fights by ko or submission.

TreK
08-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, on the one side, I agree with and applaud your post. Melvin is a very exciting fighter to watch and I am also a big fan of his, no matter where he is fighting, if I hear about it, I’ll make an effort to track down the event and watch it. And you’re right, win or lose, Melvin always puts on a show, he’s got that “go out on your shield” mentality... a real fighter.

However, while I agree with you opposing comparison to Melvin being exciting and Jon Fitch is not, GSP should not be lumped into that same class as Jon Fitch.

OK, I’m a bit biased... I am Canadian but, I try to be as objective as possible when saying that GSP is not a boring fighter. Georges may not be a KO artist but, he is very active on the ground... passing guard, putting himself back into guard just to pass again, always looking to create that opening for a sub. Granted a large majority of GSP’s fights go to decision but, he does fight the best of the best so, all of his opponents are far more difficult to finish than middle tier competitors.

Just look back at some recent GSP fights and some recent Fitch fights.

One Fitch fight looks very much like the next. Take down  fairly ineffective GnP  stand-up and repeat until all rounds are over.

Georges on the other hand has many sub attempts throughout any number of his fights. Often, he changes up his attack for the next round, out striking his adversary where the round previous was total ground domination. He is exciting, save the lack of KO’s.

As a pretty hardcore MMA fan, I enjoy a ground battle as much as any other MMA discipline (what a fight Jason MacDonald had against Demian Maia, and hardly any punches were thrown!).

Now... I’m gonna wander a bit here... I feel your frustration with many modern fighters and the “Lay and Pray” tactic. Gray Maynard comes to mind, as does Jon Fitch and a number of other wrestlers. And... that’s the key term... wrestlers. Wrestlers are the athletes that bring this fairly new mentality to the game... just get the “W”, piss on putting on a show. I honestly feel that this is just an evolutionary stage as MMA matures. In the beginning, BJJ guys were killing everybody. You had to learn BJJ or, you were doomed in MMA. That shit takes a long time and some serious dedication. Fast forward a number of years... and now everybody is pretty good at BJJ, at least to avoid subs so, in turn, we don’t see nearly as many subs as we used to. But, now there is a new “style” (for lack of a better term) where wrestlers have discovered that with some minor changes, they can use their skill set and talents to grind out a decision win. This too will pass as the non-wrestler fighters sharpen up their wrestling game, or at the very least, take down defence.

The point is that as the skill sets equalize from a general perspective, most of the fighters will be on common ground... pretty good at all aspects of the game. We are seeing this more with some of the really new talent like Jose Aldo and Jon Jones... and what make these guys stand out is that they bring movement and combinations never before seen in the cage and that really takes opponents by surprise. And that in itself is the major evolution in MMA... once everybody is equal, then you’ll have to find a way to be special again.

OK, sorry... that was really long.

mmawolverine
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
i think we all like melvin but this bloodstain lane guy is an idiot, how the hell can you criticize a fighter for fighting for themselves, this guy needs to shut up he doesnt have the right to criticize fighters and how they make their living. yes fighters should appreciate the fans but fighters dont fight to feed the mouths of the fans, they have their own families to take care of. this is a sport not a war, you dont have to finish everyone. Guess what a football game always ends in a decision based on points but you dont bitch about that do you, bloodstain lane?

Leucoethiops
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds like Shitstainlane is less a fan of MMA than he is of bar room brawls.

His inflated sense of self entitlement precludes any possibility of taking him seriously.

Pasha K
08-03-2011, 10:21 PM
BSL is very annoying now, I do not watch his videos anymore because it is absolutey the same thing every time: The same insults, the same words, everything is the same everytime. He was entertaining but now it is old.

In facebook he acts in a pathetic way "oh guys, this dude just wrote me a message saying that I suck. Please go and bash him".

He is all "oh, I am the baddest mofoin the planet" but when somebody answers him he is "guuuys, help me. He is bashing me" pfff lame

likebutta
08-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Well, at least one can hope, he gets so bored with MMA that he infact stops following it and we can see less of his garbage posted around the internet.

Having said that, Melvin Manhoef is fun to watch.

dbader08
08-04-2011, 03:40 AM
That would be pretty sweet if you saw "Melvin Manhoef vs cashier" on the dollar menu at your local Mcdonalds.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Yes we all like Manhoef. One of the most exciting fighters ever. Still why does every dumbass that is a fan of mma and somehow may have credentials one way or another think they should write about it.

m1ckeykn0x
08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
This is fucking stupid and definitely belongs in noobjack. It's part of the SPORT, so fucking get used to it. This isn't UFC 1-10 anymore. If you want to see violence, go to fucking bars around shitty parts of town late at night where losers get wasted and think they're badass. Some people are just spoiled and think that every fucking fight needs to be about killing or be killed. I guess some people are fooled by the gladiator opening scene.

What a fucking idiotic article but then again, almost everything this fool says is moronic.

I love and appreciate finishes and guys who go out to kill. I love it. But to bash the sport and say that it's "boring" because of guys who get the win by whatever means is just ridiculous. Hate the rules, not the fighters. Maybe if MMA was just taken away from us as a whole, some people would learn how to appreciate every aspect of it a little more instead of crying about how they didn't see some blood.

Casual fans aside, I can understand why some long time fans might be irritated with this as well but hey, like I said, not every fighter can be a Fedor or BJ Penn and come out to kill. The sport is evolving, it's not just a spectacle of two clashing styles. These guys are fighting for their lives and their family's well being, not just US as the fans. Some fans are selfish as fuck.

dbader08
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
The sport is evolving, indeed...into something much less entertaining and much less valiant. There were LNP fighters in ufc 1-10, too, just to let you know. At least Pride FC always lived up to their name.

The fact is, if everyone fought like GSP does nowadays, or Fitch, people would not watch the sport. You would be falling alseep midway through every ppv just as I would. If everyone fought like GSP, Fedor, Penn, or Nick Diaz, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that...so I have more respect for the guys who actually keep the sport entertaining and make our ppvs worth buying.

As I stated in a different thread, You have to be smart to an extent while in the fight, obviously, but the smartest route in any fight is to take your opponent down so they have a very small chance of doing damage. Maybe if every single other fighter in the world worked nonstop on their wrestling, and being able to hold their opponent in guard for 3 or 5 rounds, then I guess they would be as "smart" as GSP or Jon Fitch. Like I said, if every fighter were smart, nobody would have a striking based style because standing toe to toe with someone will always be a greater risk than taking someone down.

Yes, you have to be smart, but you can't be so smart that your minimally entertaining, you have to go for the kill in something that is called "Ultimate Fighting Championship".