PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133?

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133?

Local UFC man made good, Matt Hamill, Loveland HS grad, is going to retire. Thatís a good and wise move, given he has lost his last 2 fights. The one Saturday night was especially horrific. Matt was taken down in the 2nd period and blasted repeatedly in the face and head. By the time the ref stopped the bout, Matt was defenseless. I know lots of people enjoy this sport. But when a guy you know is getting brutalized, itís absolutely the worst thing Iíve ever witnessed.

Matt will be OK. He has a gym in Utica, NY, is part owner of a new sports bar, I believe, and has had a movie done on his life.

Iím very glad heís done with ultimate fighting. No disrespect to those who practice it and follow it, but itís way over the top brutal and, to me, senseless.
Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133? - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/343319/Matt-Hamill-retires-after-loss-at-UFC-133/)

Luc1an
08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
huh?? really? thats kinda odd... i actually missed this fight, now im wishing i really had watched it.

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
MMAmania.com has confirmed with Hamill's manager today that the UFC light heavyweight "Hammer" is retiring from active competition.
Matt Hamill retires from MMA - MMAmania.com (http://www.mmamania.com/2011/8/8/2351686/matt-hamill-retires-from-mma)

"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"

The born-deaf fighter suffered several injuries throughout the course of his career in the UFC, including a pinched nerve in his neck that ailed him prior to the Jackson fight. He also re-injured his shoulder, which was separated in his December 2009 fight with now-champ Jon Jones.

"I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130, but my friends, family, coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance," Hamill wrote in his announcement. "My career has been plagued by injuries starting with 'The Ultimate Fighter' and disrupted my training ever since.

"There hasn't been even one training camp where I've been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body, and it has nothing left after 28 years of nonstop competition. It's time to finally give it a rest."

Hamill, a lifetime wrestler, and Holmes will continue to train fighters at their gym, Mohawk Valley MMA, in upstate New York.

"I couldn't be prouder of him, and he's taken me on this amazing journey he's been on," Holmes said. "He has nothing to hang his head about."
http://mmajunkie.com/news/24732/ufcs-matt-hamill-announces-retirement.mma

m1ckeykn0x
08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Kind of surprises me that Matt Hamill would retire like that, especially after a dominating loss. It's apparent he was never going to reach the top tier but he was still a tough fight for anyone. Hell, even Rampage couldn't finish him. (Which makes Gustafsson's win look even greater)

Sad story.

Btw, someone needs to buy some flowers for whoever wrote this article.

Leucoethiops
08-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one who didn't think Gustafson looked all that good?

Yeah, he threw some nice uppercuts, but his head movement was non existent.

Hamill's problem is that he's never really improved, if anything, he's gotten worse, because he developed confidence in his hands... ill placed confidence.

CRisCO
08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Kind of surprises me that Matt Hamill would retire like that, especially after a dominating loss. It's apparent he was never going to reach the top tier but he was still a tough fight for anyone. Hell, even Rampage couldn't finish him. (Which makes Gustafsson's win look even greater)

Sad story.

Btw, someone needs to buy some flowers for whoever wrote this article.

Guy does smell a bit of the gina don't he?

IceCold48
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
what the fuck? this is a really big deal and very surprising after he took this fight on short notice.

why the hell did you post this in noob jack?

also what a biased idiotic reporter he might be horrible enough to work for espn.

Cat--Smasher
08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
what the fuck? this is a really big deal and very surprising after he took this fight on short notice.

why the hell did you post this in noob jack?

also what a biased idiotic reporter he might be horrible enough to work for espn.

It was posted in Noob Jack because when posted the source was not so solid. As you see, I updated it once it was confirmed.

Mac
08-08-2011, 06:28 PM
"To be honest with you, after 'Rampage,' he was done," Hamill's trainer and manager, Duff Holmes, today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)). "He told me, 'I just can't stand the constant pain.'"

So he basically just stole a paycheck from the UFC. This guy is all class and I won't miss him.

GL Jeff
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I think he was babied from Day 1 and it has done nothing but hurt him. He needed people to push him, and force him to improve. But instead he grinded by and never went anywhere, not sad to see him go,his pay frees up a spot for someone decent.

m1ckeykn0x
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
So he basically just stole a paycheck from the UFC. This guy is all class and I won't miss him.

I didn't even think about it that way. Wow... What a fucking stupid thing to say!

No wonder he looked like absolute crap with no gameplan whatsoever, not to take anything away from Alexander, he still would have dominated.

Speaking of Gustafsson, where has Fedorlei been?? I know he's a huge fan of Alex and wasn't here for the discussion or anything.

IceCold48
08-08-2011, 06:55 PM

he took a fight on short notice, saved the card from being two fights canceled. and considering they canceled an entire fight so its not like he was taking money from someone else who deserved it.

he also took the rampage main event on short notice when thiago silva got suspended didnt he? i dont really see what your getting at here mac.

popsicle
08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I didn't even think about it that way. Wow... What a fucking stupid thing to say!

No wonder he looked like absolute crap with no gameplan whatsoever, not to take anything away from Alexander, he still would have dominated.

Speaking of Gustafsson, where has Fedorlei been?? I know he's a huge fan of Alex and wasn't here for the discussion or anything.

Im not sure I ever seen Matt fight with a gameplan. His fights are more predictable than just about any other UFC fighter.

Typical Matt Hamill fight: Continue walking towards the other fighter with his hands down, and have his face busted open. After feeling the pain of being punched in the face several times, shoot for a weak takedown that he never intended to commit too, but hopes the opponent will start worrying about being taken down. Rise back up, and then get punched in the face a few more times. Maybe try some dirty boxing or another half assed take down, rise back up and get punched in the face. Rinse and repeat.

No gameplan, just the same Matt Hamill that supposedly is a great wrestler, but never uses his wrestling skills. Matt Hamill is to wrestling what Jorge Gurgel is to BJJ. I keep hearing how great of a wrestler he is, but keep waiting to see him do something with it in the octagon.

Mac
08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
he took a fight on short notice, saved the card from being two fights canceled. and considering they canceled an entire fight so its not like he was taking money from someone else who deserved it.

he also took the rampage main event on short notice when thiago silva got suspended didnt he? i dont really see what your getting at here mac.

There are plenty of fighters who would have taken that fight on short notice and showed up to fight not just to collect one last paycheck.

And I didn't say anything about the Rampage fight as his manager states that he was done after the Rampage fight and not before.

IceCold48
08-08-2011, 08:16 PM
There are plenty of fighters who would have taken that fight on short notice and showed up to fight not just to collect one last paycheck.

And I didn't say anything about the Rampage fight as his manager states that he was done after the Rampage fight and not before.

then why didnt they step up? and why didnt anyone else besides gustafson step up to fight franklin if there were so many people willing to take the fight on short notice?

Mac
08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
then why didnt they step up? and why didnt anyone else besides gustafson step up to fight franklin if there were so many people willing to take the fight on short notice?

How do you know they didn't? Do I look like Joe Silva to you? Maybe Hamill was the first he asked. I don't know where to find the listings of fighters who call Silva to say they will take a fight when someone gets hurt do you? I would love to see it. Did Hamill call and ask for the fight or did Silva call and ask if Hamill wanted it?

Does any of it matter? His manager said he was done after his last fight so taking this one could only be for one reason if he was done.

IceCold48
08-08-2011, 08:49 PM
How do you know they didn't? Do I look like Joe Silva to you? Maybe Hamill was the first he asked. I don't know where to find the listings of fighters who call Silva to say they will take a fight when someone gets hurt do you? I would love to see it. Did Hamill call and ask for the fight or did Silva call and ask if Hamill wanted it?

Does any of it matter? His manager said he was done after his last fight so taking this one could only be for one reason if he was done.

if there was another person then why didnt they fight franklin or fight gustafson and have hamil fight franklin. in the reports it says the only replacement they found for franklin was gustafson which franklin turned down. no one else stepped up.

JPeezy
08-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Am I the only one who didn't think Gustafson looked all that good?

Yeah, he threw some nice uppercuts, but his head movement was non existent.

Hamill's problem is that he's never really improved, if anything, he's gotten worse, because he developed confidence in his hands... ill placed confidence.

Matt Hammill looked like he'd never taken a person down before. His performance was lackluster and his TD attempts were pathetic. It was obvious he had quit before that fight even started. I wasn't impressed with Gustafson because Hammill looked so bad.

Mac
08-09-2011, 11:48 AM
if there was another person then why didnt they fight franklin or fight gustafson and have hamil fight franklin. in the reports it says the only replacement they found for franklin was gustafson which franklin turned down. no one else stepped up.

So see, your saying it was more Franklin turning down Gustafson than Hamill stepping up. I guess they didn't have a name that Franklin thought was big enough free to fight him in place of Nog. And why would they have Franklin fight Hamill? He already beat him pretty decisevly.

And once again, none of it matters as his trainer and manager has stated that he was done after the Rampage fight. So I ask again, if he was done, why take a fight on any notice, short or not? The only viable answer is to take one last paycheck from the UFC. You watched the fight, everybody else seems to agree that he just showed up and really did nothing. If he would have been "stepping up" he would have come to fight and he most obviously didn't.

IceCold48
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
So see, your saying it was more Franklin turning down Gustafson than Hamill stepping up. I guess they didn't have a name that Franklin thought was big enough free to fight him in place of Nog. And why would they have Franklin fight Hamill? He already beat him pretty decisevly.

And once again, none of it matters as his trainer and manager has stated that he was done after the Rampage fight. So I ask again, if he was done, why take a fight on any notice, short or not? The only viable answer is to take one last paycheck from the UFC. You watched the fight, everybody else seems to agree that he just showed up and really did nothing. If he would have been "stepping up" he would have come to fight and he most obviously didn't.

hamil stepped up to face gustafson. gustafson was supposed to face vladdy but he got hurt.

Mac
08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
hamil stepped up to face gustafson. gustafson was supposed to face vladdy but he got hurt.

Hamill stepped up to the pay window, plain and simple. I'm sure there are many LHWs who would have stepped up and put on a fight at least.