PDA

View Full Version : Wiuff, Whitehead named as possible opponents for Fedor

Cat--Smasher
08-11-2011, 02:37 AM
I've heard Mike Whitehead and Travis Wiuff as potential opponents for Fedor Emelianenko in Nov. M-1 is reaching out to managers this week.
Wiuff, Whitehead named as possible opponents for Fedor - MMA News (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/343953/Wiuff-Whitehead-named-as-possible-opponents-for-Fedor/)

Josh Gross
JoshGrossESPN Josh Gross
I've heard Mike Whitehead and Travis Wiuff as potential opponents for Fedor Emelianenko in Nov. M-1 is reaching out to managers this week.
7 hours ago
http://twitter.com/#!/JoshGrossESPN

Kimbo> Rampage
08-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Thats BS. I will not be watching. There will be nothing to take away from those fights unless he actually loses to one of those fighters.

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 02:53 AM
That is absolutely shit.

Jesus Fedor.

MMA4EVERRR
08-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Unless it's Alistair Overeem as an opponent, I dont care.
Fedor will win, and M-1 will make headlines that Fedor is back and has reclaimed his status as a top HW.

*For the record, I would prefer Travis because Mike Whitehead, after all the news about his sexual assualt charges, would not make this an honorable fight with Fedor.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
08-11-2011, 02:55 AM
I'm curious as to what Alistair Overeem's availibility looks like right about now and if he'd be willing to work with M1 while all this ZUFFA stuff gets ironed out.....

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 02:57 AM
Hopefully it is not true.
What have Wiuff and Whitehead achieved to deserve a fight against the greatest HW in MMA history?

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 03:01 AM
What have Wiuff and Whitehead achieved to deserve a fight against the greatest HW in MMA history?

Oh I dont know, the same thing Zulu, Hong Man Choi, Brett Rogers did. I can add about 10 names to that list.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Zulu and HongMan were freakshows and those matches were made only for the pleasure of Japanese fans that love freakshows.

Rogers was at least undefeated and was coming from a 20 seconds KO win over Andrei Arlovksy, who was still very relevant at the time.

And yeah, please add those 10 names to the list. I have a lot of curiosity to see who you are going to put there.

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Zulu and HongMan were freakshows and those matches were made only for the pleasure of Japanese fans that love freakshows.

Rogers was at least undefeated and was coming from a 20 seconds KO win over Andrei Arlovksy, who was still very relevant at the time.

And yeah, please add those 10 names to the list. I have a lot of curiosity to see who you are going to put there.

Ah there freakshows! Ah then that makes it okay!

Rogers was undefeated? Against who??

Whitehead and Wiuff have what 150 wins combined? They've done alot more than Brett Rogers has homie.

Fact is your boy would rather go crush cans in Japan and Russia. And this proves is.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-11-2011, 03:09 AM

wow. You do realize his management is trying to set up this fight. If they are offered a good fight with good pay they would take it, cant blame them. Im not going to watch this shit.

Fedor is not the greatest HW in mma history. mos accomplished yes, but not the best.

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Fedor is not the greatest HW in mma history. mos accomplished yes, but not the best.

Got me thinking, why is Fedor more accomplished than Big Nog?

Big Nog has a better resume of wins over top competition.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Whitehead and Wiuff have what 150 wins combined? They've done alot more than Brett Rogers has homie.

Fact is your boy would rather go crush cans in Japan and Russia. And this proves is.

Kinda contradicticting, so you mention that they have 150 wins combined and then you say they are cans LOL

Oh and you probably have not noticed yet, but all the fighters have at least 1 win over some can.

You have not noticed either, but when a fighter is in a losing streak it is obvious that he faces lower competition in order to regain confidence. M1 already said that they are planning to return to the "big leagues" in 2012.

Whitehead and Wiuff are only rumored opponents, probably fedor will face someone better anyway.

Oh and I will ask you once again to provide your list of the 10 cans Fedor has faced.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-11-2011, 03:17 AM

I dont care how many cans he beats now. He better not go up in the rankings until he fights somebody worth while. Its clear his management is trying to get out every single $ out of his worth before moving on.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 03:17 AM

Fedor has faced and defeated more Top 10s than any other HW has.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 03:19 AM

Then who is?

Kimbo> Rampage
08-11-2011, 03:22 AM
Then who is?

Cain and JDS would give a prime fedor far more than he could handle. Its not like it would hit the ground and cain would get subbed like coleman or randallman who havent trained bjj a day in their life.

LefthookStcrook
08-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Oh I dont know, the same thing Zulu, Hong Man Choi, Brett Rogers did. I can add about 10 names to that list.

Lol nice.

Dude you know his record better then anyone lol, you could easily name close to 10. What about Egidijius Valavicius?(sp?) Everyone has some padding on their records, nothing to be embarassed about.

But yeah this sucks. So now Fedor is going to finish off his career by fighting canned journeymen? Brutal:angrrry:

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Fedor has faced and defeated more Top 10s than any other HW has.

You SURE about that?

Kimbo> Rampage
08-11-2011, 03:31 AM
I do think fedor is an all time great, but naming 10 cans he has beat is too easy.

LefthookStcrook
08-11-2011, 03:36 AM
I do think fedor is an all time great, but naming 10 cans he has beat is too easy.

Exactly. But to Pashak he'd just give you an arguement as to why they were all meaningful fights lol

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Exactly. But to Pashak he'd just give you an arguement as to why they were all meaningful fights lol

Pashak makes me dislike a fighter I actually really like.

Adambomb
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM

I'll take a crack at it!

Let's break down Fedor's record:

Class 1 - Total Cans:

1. Zulu
2. Choi
3. Egidijus Valavičius (5-2 at the time, 2-2 over his last 4 to no-names)
4. Yuji Nagata (Pro wrestler)
5. Lee Hasdel (3-6 before Fedor)
6. Chris Haseman (a can in the HW division. Lost to Matt Hughes previously)
7. Ryushi Yanagisawa (24-22-9 before Fedor)
8. Kerry Schall (5-2 before Fedor, had been crushed by Travis Fulton)
9. Martin Lazarov (first MMA fight Vs Fedor)
10. Levon Lagvilava (1-2 Vs Fedor)
11. Hiroya Takada (first MMA fight Vs Fedor)
12. Mihail Apostolov (only MMA fight Vs Fedor)
13. Hiroya Takada (first MMA fight Vs Fedor)

Class 2 - Quality Non-Heavyweights:

14. Ricardo Arona
15. Babalu
16. Matt Lindland

Class 3 - Good but not Top 10 Heavyweights (at the time they fought):

17. Kazuyuki Fujita
18. Kevin Randleman
19. Nayoya Ogawa
20. Gary Goodridge

Class 4 - Top 10 quality (at the time they fought):

21. Heath Herring
22. Semmy Schilt
23 & 24. Mark Coleman
25. Mark Hunt
26. Bret Rogers

Clas 5: Top 5 Quality (at the time they fought):

27 & 28. Big Nog
29. Cro Cop
30. Tim Sylvia
31. Andrei Arlovski

So to break down Fedor's victories:

Vs top 5: 5 wins
Vs top 10: 6 wins
Vs Quality HW's: 4 wins
Vs Non-HW's: 3 wins
Vs Cans: 13 wins

In conclusion, Fedor does have more quality heavyweight wins than just about anyone with 15, but the other half of his career victories came against either lighter or pitiful opposition.

Greatest heavyweight of all-time? Yes
Greatest fighter of all-time: No

At this point both Whitehead & Wiuff would go in the can category, which based on Fedor's career, could be seen as a fitting way for it to end. He did spend half of it crushing cans.

dbader08
08-11-2011, 05:24 AM
This is laughable, more laughable than Randleman.

IceCold48
08-11-2011, 05:26 AM
people talk about fedor's recent loses ruining his legacy. no THIS wil ltarnish his legacy.
l
giving him D level fighters just so he can get a win wll give ammo for the haters for ever.

dbader08
08-11-2011, 05:28 AM
To be fair, most of the cans Fedor faced were within his first 10 or 12 fights. There were a few more after that, and Choi is a borderline can, but I wouldnt say he's a total can. He is a dangerous fight for anyone and is a tough k-1 fighter. It is pretty easy to beat him if you can get him to the ground, though. He's definitely not someone Fedor should have been fighting...

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 06:36 AM
LOL, this is funny.
Guys, I mean, are you serious??

You are trying to tell me that fedor has been fighting cans and then you tell me that the GOATS are Cain and JDS LMFAO.

Cain has had only 9 bouts. Of those 9 only 2 are victories over fighters that were TOP 10 at the moment.
2 are again decent competition, and 5 are against cans.

JDS has had 14 bouts. He has only 2 victories against Top 10 fighters. 5 vcitories over decent competition, and the rest are cans. Oh and BTW he also has a loss to a can named Joaquim Ferreira.

Look at the extraordinary names JDS and Cain have fought:

Jailson Silva, Eduardo Maiorino, Edson Silva, Joaquin Ferreira, Jair Goncalves, Jesse Fujarzyk, Jeremiah Constant, Brad Morris....You want me to continue??

If you are criticizing Fedor because he fought cans at the beginning of his career why you are not criticizing JDS and Cain for doing the same thing????
Oh sorry, probably because they are in UFC and that automatically makes them amazingly awesome right?

Some of you are confusing "Greatest of all time" with rankings of TODAY.
Today obvioulsy Cain and JDS are ranked higher than Fedor and maybe they would have give him troubles even in the PRIDE days, but they have done nothing to be considered historically better than Emelianenko. Fedor has achieved in his career much more than Cain and JDS have done so far.
Fedor has more than 10 victories over Top 10 competition, Cain and JDS have a combined number of 4!!!!!!

Pashak makes me dislike a fighter I actually really like.

LMAO thanks a lot buddy, I did not realized that I was that important for you to the point that I am the reason of why you dislike a fighter hahaha, so thanks a lot.
Shame that I can not say the same thing about you though...sorry.

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
LMAO thanks a lot buddy, I did not realized that I was that important for you to the point that I am the reason of why you dislike a fighter hahaha, so thanks a lot.

Yeah if you want that to be what you are known for then by all means.

Shame that I can not say the same thing about you though...sorry.

Thank god. I would never want to spew so much bullshit that it turns people away from certain fighters. So thank you.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah if you want that to be what you are known for then by all means.

Thank god. I would never want to spew so much bullshit that it turns people away from certain fighters. So thank you.

LOL, and believe me that I prefer to be known for being a "Fedor nuthugger" than for being a dickhead, "Mr. +1 post", somebody that has heated discussions with everybody and a Dana nuthugger.

I write Bullshit?? hahahaha, and in that case what do YOU write? Aside of copying and pasting what else do you do?
You seriously say that Big NOG should be considered the GOAT and not Fedor. That is not bullshit???
Listen, I never considered you to be briliant, so since a very long time I am not surprised when I see stupid comments by you, I am actually pretty used to that. So you are not the right person to say that I write BS.

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 07:30 AM
and a Dana nuthugger.

First time I've ever been called that since I've been a member.

I write Bullshit?? hahahaha, and in that case what do YOU write? Aside of copying and pasting what else do you do?

Yeah all the articles you post on, reply about. Yeah those. You say that like it's a knock. The difference is, I actually CONTRIBUTE to the forums, you just talk.

You seriously say that Big NOG should be considered the GOAT and not Fedor. That is not bullshit???

When did I say that? I posed the question, I never said he was.

Listen, I never considered you to be briliant,

I hope not since you misspelled BRILLIANT.

Pasha K
08-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Ah there freakshows! then that makes it okay!

uhmm maybe you meant "They're"? LOL

Sakara=Excitement
08-11-2011, 07:56 AM

Touche.

Cat--Smasher
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM

ha ha:grinsmile1:

Adambomb
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
LOL, this is funny.
Guys, I mean, are you serious??

You are trying to tell me that fedor has been fighting cans and then you tell me that the GOATS are Cain and JDS LMFAO.

Cain has had only 9 bouts. Of those 9 only 2 are victories over fighters that were TOP 10 at the moment.
2 are again decent competition, and 5 are against cans.

JDS has had 14 bouts. He has only 2 victories against Top 10 fighters. 5 vcitories over decent competition, and the rest are cans. Oh and BTW he also has a loss to a can named Joaquim Ferreira.

Look at the extraordinary names JDS and Cain have fought:

Jailson Silva, Eduardo Maiorino, Edson Silva, Joaquin Ferreira, Jair Goncalves, Jesse Fujarzyk, Jeremiah Constant, Brad Morris....You want me to continue??

If you are criticizing Fedor because he fought cans at the beginning of his career why you are not criticizing JDS and Cain for doing the same thing????
Oh sorry, probably because they are in UFC and that automatically makes them amazingly awesome right?

Some of you are confusing "Greatest of all time" with rankings of TODAY.
Today obvioulsy Cain and JDS are ranked higher than Fedor and maybe they would have give him troubles even in the PRIDE days, but they have done nothing to be considered historically better than Emelianenko. Fedor has achieved in his career much more than Cain and JDS have done so far.
Fedor has more than 10 victories over Top 10 competition, Cain and JDS have a combined number of 4!!!!!!

Fedor fought 5 cans & 1 middleweight after he became the PRIDE champion. That's ridiculous.

Fedor's fall from grace isn't just due to father time. It's due to the sport evolving. Cain & JDS are the best heavyweights ever. They haven't accomplished as much, but they're both better overall fighters.

And for the record, JDS has 2 wins over top 10 fighters (Carwin & Werdum) & another 5 against quality heavyweights (Nelson, Gonzaga, Yvel, Cro Cop, & Struve).

Cain has 1 win Vs the top 5 (Lesnar) another Vs the top 10 (Nog) & 2 other quality heavyweight wins (Rothwell & Kongo).

Considering guys just don't fight nearly as often as they used to, that's impressive. After his 9th fight Fedor was still fighting cans, not elite competition.

kickass32
08-13-2011, 01:45 AM
I believe Roger Huerta is available, Fedor can't beat HW's, LHW's or MW's anymore.....the next logical step would be a 155 'er in Huerta... (actually in this scenerio the next logical step would be WW...but it didn't fit in with Huerta's name)

kickass32
08-13-2011, 01:46 AM
Oh...and for the record, I am very grateful for Sak's contributions to the forums, posting threads we all read and chat about.

Sakara=Excitement
08-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Oh...and for the record, I am very grateful for Sak's contributions to the forums, posting threads we all read and chat about.

Why thank you Kickass.

kickass32
08-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Why thank you Kickass.

My pleasure, bro.

It would be a pretty boring site without guys like Sak and Cat-Smasher posting news stories for us all to read.....not just those two, there are others, but Sak and Cat are the two the stand out right now in my mind.....and Sak has been doing it for years!

Luc1an
08-17-2011, 10:29 PM
all i know is that i can read Pashak and Sak go at it all day, please, continue =)

KevoOnTheRadio
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
So what if Fedor has a ton of cans on his record? He fought in friggen Japan during the early days of MMA. How many top tier HW fighters were there at the time? Other then Josh Barnett, name a top HW during Fedor's prime that he didn't fight.

Dan
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Wow. I know Fedor said he wanted to fight a veteran, but I really hoped it would be someone of note.

Pasha K
08-19-2011, 09:18 AM
So what if Fedor has a ton of cans on his record? He fought in friggen Japan during the early days of MMA. How many top tier HW fighters were there at the time? Other then Josh Barnett, name a top HW during Fedor's prime that he didn't fight.

Yeah and he almost fought Barnett and everybody knows why it did not happened.

trustkill
08-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow. I know Fedor said he wanted to fight a veteran, but I really hoped it would be someone of note.

On this week's episode of The MMA Hour w/Ariel Helwani, MMA manager Malki Kawa said he heard rumors about Fedor fighting Gabriel Gonzaga in St. Petersburg, Russia. For whatever it's worth.

Pasha K
08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Right now we have Wiuff, Whitehead, Randleman (LOL) and Gonzaga and Fedor's possible opponents.

Of those 4 I definitely prefer Gonzaga.

The Joker
08-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Gonzaga would be a pretty good fight IMO. I personally wouldn't be opposed to a fight against Randleman. Fedor needs all the cage experience he can get at this point, and what better way to get it than against a wrestler.