PDA

View Full Version : Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police th

trustkill
08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Link to full article: Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat | MMAjunkie.com (http://mmajunkie.com/news/24937/sonnen-ufc-134-trip-to-support-okami-canceled-due-to-sponsor-intervention-police-threat.mma)

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/chael-sonnen-15.jpg

TUALATIN, Ore. Chael Sonnen wanted to be in Yushin Okami's corner for UFC 134, and he still has a plane ticket to Rio de Janeiro.

It's Brazil that doesn't want him there.

Sonnen said a major sponsor of Okami's requested he not attend the pay-per-view event, which takes place Saturday at Rio's HSBC Arena.

A source with knowledge of the situation told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com)) that Praetorian, a Brazil-based MMA brand, threatened to pull the Japanese fighter's sponsorship if Sonnen attended.

"There's a line of people that want to kick his ass," the source said.

And that could be the least of problems for the expert trash-talker. Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime.

"You don't have freedom of speech in Brazil; put it like that," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com after a workout at Team Quest Tualatin.

The source said Sonnen's claim is untrue. But the fighter's bombastic interviews have created quite a stir.

In several highly circulated clips and on Twitter, Sonnen has maligned the South American country and several of its most popular fighters. Former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has been a favorite target, as have national icons and brothers Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Brazil-based MMA manager Alex Davis said Sonnen's words have united Brazil's MMA community.

"Brazilians don't get together on other things, but they've gotten together on this," he said. "Brazilian authorities would not arrest Sonnen for anything he said. They would defend him. But he is talking about people that a whole generation of fighters worship."

Okami, of course, is facing another object of worship, that of reigning middleweight champ Anderson Silva, in UFC 134's headliner. Silva has not been on Sonnen's Christmas card list for some time.

While the onetime middleweight contender expressed regret over not being able to help his teammate, Sonnen is there to do what's best for his frequent training partner, which, in this case, is to stay away.

"I only want to be there to help him," Sonnen said. "I don't need to see the show. I can watch the show on TV. I was going exclusively in support of Yushin, and frankly, it's been headed this way for a long time. It's been headed the direction of, 'Hey, this is becoming a distraction.'

"This fight isn't about me. I'm not involved. I'm here to lend you support. But I don't want things thrown at what will unintentionally be him while he's in the ring or we're going to the ring.

"This is serious business. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and it's not my place to disturb it or shift any type of attention to me. This is his moment, his night, his time to be the world champ."

Sakara=Excitement
08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Well said.

Masscore
08-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Hmmmm nah he is scared.

Luc1an
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I think there is some truth to what he is saying for sure, because he would be a big distraction, but at the same time i think he is a bit reluctant to be ringside surrounded by thousands of angry drunk brazilians lol. honestly i dont blame him =)

Mac
08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Wait, how can he be champ if you are currently the champ and he's fighting Silva? I'm confused.

Firemass
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Decent thing to do by Sonnen, all the added drama would do Okami no favours. But come on! Sonnen is hyping a fued with Silva, I think people are overreacting. It's a sport but to a degree all sport is entertainment right?

Kimbo> Rampage
08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
This fight isnt about him, he knows he will be a distraction and take away from okami.

You cant feel bad for him from this backlash, he did it all to himself. He should not go back to Brazil.

Pasha K
08-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Decent thing to do by Sonnen, all the added drama would do Okami no favours. But come on! Sonnen is hyping a fued with Silva, I think people are overreacting. It's a sport but to a degree all sport is entertainment right?

To talk shit about a whole country is not a proper way to hype a fight.
Brazil, as any other country in the world has good things and bad things and no one has the right to talk shit about a country.
To all of you that support him, would you support him if he talked shit about your country?

And BTW whith his comments he is not embarrasing Brazil, he is embarrasing USA because of people like him many people have a very negative opinion about Americans.

It is good that he will not be in Brazil, first of all because he is not worthy of being there again, and secondly because something could happen and it would damage a lot the image of MMA. And no one wants our favorite sport to have troubles because of some idiot on roids with tiny balls.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Brazil, as any other country in the world has good things and bad things and no one has the right to talk shit about a country.
To all of you that support him, would you support him if he talked shit about your country?

And BTW whith his comments he is not embarrasing Brazil, he is embarrasing USA because of people like him many people have a very negative opinion about Americans.

It is good that he will not be in Brazil, first of all because he is not worthy of being there again, and secondly because something could happen and it would damage a lot the image of MMA. And no one wants our favorite sport to have troubles because of some idiot on roids with tiny balls.
:clapping:

Sakara=Excitement
08-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Rampage and Pashak....I see a 'Buddy Cop' movie coming next Summer.

Pasha K
08-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Cool. Watch it and tell me if it was good.

Sakara=Excitement
08-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Cool. Watch it and tell me if it was good.

I don't know, you're starring in it. Sorta like 48 hours.

So who's Eddie Murphy and who's Nick Nolte?

Pasha K
08-25-2011, 06:47 AM
I don't know, you're starring in it. Sorta like 48 hours.

So who's Eddie Murphy and who's Nick Nolte?

Oh great, I will be a millionaire then.

tig
08-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Wow, what I didn't know was, that Brazil had a police force. I thought it was a place where a bunch of Indians were just running around naked.

Besides that, Chael is just a human, with a very sly sense of humor. If one had any comedic sense about them, then they would understand that none of it is serious in any way when he speaks of Brazil or other countries. He gets a kick out of people who are too serious with life, and likes to see if he can get them to finally bust up. But, alas, there are those who will always find a way to hate, and hold against, condemn and reject.

Outside your window is a world ready to be enjoyed, and laughed at, made fun of, and to be accepted. Plenty of people condemn our own little pathetic country, so what? they have the right from God almighty to think anything they wish to think, -and express it in word, at least here in the US (supposedly), and I think it is true.

But....really, Brazil has a police force?

KevoOnTheRadio
08-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Wow, what I didn't know was, that Brazil had a police force. I thought it was a place where a bunch of Indians were just running around naked.

Besides that, Chael is just a human, with a very sly sense of humor. If one had any comedic sense about them, then they would understand that none of it is serious in any way when he speaks of Brazil or other countries. He gets a kick out of people who are too serious with life, and likes to see if he can get them to finally bust up. But, alas, there are those who will always find a way to hate, and hold against, condemn and reject.

Outside your window is a world ready to be enjoyed, and laughed at, made fun of, and to be accepted. Plenty of people condemn our own little pathetic country, so what? they have the right from God almighty to think anything they wish to think, -and express it in word, at least here in the US (supposedly), and I think it is true.

Oh he has all the right in the world to say whatever fool thing he wants about whoever he chooses. And whether he actually means the things he says is up for debate. But it doesn't change the fact that he's a classless prick.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Oh he has all the right in the world to say whatever fool thing he wants about whoever he chooses. .

And people have a right to get pissed at what he says and do what they want in response.

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Some people just have no sense of humor.

The Return Of......
08-26-2011, 02:08 AM
sense of humor???

man im all for a good joke, im all for trash talking, but sonnen just talks out of his ass then likes to cry i didnt tap after he obviously taps.

how was it an insult when jon jones signed his autograph champion 2011 meaning he believed he was gonna win the title but oh its just funny when chael claims he is the champ. its a joke alright, but anyone who has followed mma and chaels career knows the he is the joke. always second place, and now runs his mouth just to try and make himself a bigger deal then he really should be

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 04:43 AM
sense of humor???

man im all for a good joke, im all for trash talking, but sonnen just talks out of his ass then likes to cry i didnt tap after he obviously taps.

how was it an insult when jon jones signed his autograph champion 2011 meaning he believed he was gonna win the title but oh its just funny when chael claims he is the champ. its a joke alright, but anyone who has followed mma and chaels career knows the he is the joke. always second place, and now runs his mouth just to try and make himself a bigger deal then he really should be

You clearly don't have a sense of humor after reading that.

Pasha K
08-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok Mr. sense of humour, would you laugh if some brazilian (maybe evenWillpunisher) tells you that USA is a shithole? I don't think so.

TheDoucheyWun
08-26-2011, 06:01 AM
I traveled down to Texas and I watched Sakara pop out of his shack n try to feed a carrot to a tractor while his brother was attempting to pet it. :) homourous enough lol?

Kimbo> Rampage
08-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Sakara's just mad that Nog went after his people, so he is now up Sonnen's ass.

initial_zen
08-26-2011, 12:36 PM
why is it that when someone is disrespectful and you dont laugh it means you have no a sense of humor? The "he didnt mean it" defense is stupid imo.

lordpyro
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok Mr. sense of humour, would you laugh if some brazilian (maybe evenWillpunisher) tells you that USA is a shithole? I don't think so.

YES!!!!!!!! Everyone says that now.

Makes'em feel better about the shithole they live in.

(BTW: In case you didn't get it, that was a joke. No matter where you go in the world, someone is going to think its a shit hole)

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM

But that's not funny. He would need to add some HUMOR to it.

I traveled down to Texas and I watched Sakara pop out of his shack n try to feed a carrot to a tractor while his brother was attempting to pet it. :) homourous enough lol?

No because it was already used. And everyone knows Tractors don't eat carrots, they eat watermelon...duh.

Sakara's just mad that Nog went after his people, so he is now up Sonnen's ass.

I literally have no idea what you are even trying to say. Who are my people?

Kimbo> Rampage
08-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Nogueira: I won't train with a gay fighter (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2011/08/nogueira-i-wont-train-with-a-gay-fighter/416035/1)

optimusjoel
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Nogueira: I won't train with a gay fighter (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2011/08/nogueira-i-wont-train-with-a-gay-fighter/416035/1)

LOL that was perfectly executed

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Look, just because you put my dick in your mouth because you wanted to know what white skin tasted like, doesn't make BOTH of us gay.

Pasha K
08-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Who is now the one without sense of humour? lol

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Who is now the one without sense of humour? lol

You. Because again, you failed to see any kind of joke. And it's humor.

IceCold48
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM

you thought Indians were in Brazil? then who did you think was in India?

IceCold48
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
LOL that was perfectly executed

no it wasnt because i used that same joke on roaddawg already

Kimbo> Rampage
08-26-2011, 10:48 PM
chump...

you suck

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/steven-seagal-zen-2.jpg

Please gtfo

Sakara=Excitement
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
chump...

you suck

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/steven-seagal-zen-2.jpg

Please gtfo

Ohhhh you got me!

DARN.

How to I defeat the almighty Segal picture? Back to the drawing board I go.

Pasha K
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
no it wasnt because i used that same joke on roaddawg already

link?
Not that I do not believe you, but I want to see RD getting owned again

IceCold48
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
link?
Not that I do not believe you, but I want to see RD getting owned again

http://www.mmanews.com/forums/general-mma-forum/50691-minotauro-nogueira-would-not-train-gay-student-3.html#post849687

last post on the page

Kimbo> Rampage
08-27-2011, 01:16 AM
http://ugc-01.cafemomstatic.com/gen/constrain/500/500/85/2010/04/16/20/cu/ed/pot73g91k41b0sg.jpg?imageId=18573876

You mad?

IceCold48
08-27-2011, 01:17 AM
You mad?

no i was just pointing out that you stole my joke so it wasnt really that great of a burn.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
no i was just pointing out that you stole my joke so it wasnt really that great of a burn.

Its easy to make gay jokes. But RD is just a fool, Sakara is probably actually gay...

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Its easy to make gay jokes. But RD is just a fool, Sakara is probably actually gay...

Again, when you let drunk Asian men make your mouth a cum dumpster that homeless men dumpster dive in afterwards, that makes YOU gay.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Again, when you let drunk Asian men make your mouth a cum dumpster that homeless men dumpster dive in afterwards, that makes YOU gay.

Ok thx for clearing that up, it all makes sense now...
I dont hate gays, just keep your distance bud.

Where has this thread gone?

well it was a sonnen thread to begin with so I shouldnt be surprised...

Pasha K
08-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Sakara, you may want to change your avatar. It is not helping you at all lol

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Sakara, you may want to change your avatar. It is not helping you at all lol

By exposing Jake Shields? By showing Jake Shields with another man with a tongue in his ear? Yep, that's it, that clearly means I'm gay. Let me go tell my wife. The secret is out!

Pasha K
08-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Having an avatar of a man licking another man's ear looks very gay

BTW your signature also looks a little bit gay XD

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Having an avatar of a man licking another man's ear looks very gay

BTW your signature also looks a little bit gay XD

Well then Jake Shields, Matt Hughes, and BJ Penn would be gay sir.

Pasha K
08-27-2011, 02:05 AM
the guy that is licking Shield's ear too LOL

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 02:06 AM
the guy that is licking Shield's ear too LOL

Yeah I have NO IDEA who that dude is.

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/010111ufcafter/1038.jpg

Kimbo> Rampage
08-27-2011, 02:11 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/judge_You_mad_Bro-s400x300-199186-535.jpg

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 02:13 AM
http://files.sharenator.com/judge_You_mad_Bro-s400x300-199186-535.jpg

???

Pasha K
08-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Looks like he is enjoying it LOL

IceCold48
08-27-2011, 02:25 AM

hes some guy from the UG who claims to be jake sheilds best friend from college and always posts pictures of them together and doing dumb shit to prove whenever he gets called out.

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 02:26 AM
hes some guy from the UG who claims to be jake sheilds best friend from college and always posts pictures of them together and doing dumb shit to prove whenever he gets called out.

Best friend he is. :dancingsmile:

Pasha K
08-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Friends with rights/benefits?

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Friends with rights/benefits?

That's some wicked american jj right there.

Sniggles
08-27-2011, 03:09 AM

WillPunisher is from Jersey. That's probably why he would think USA is a shithole.

Sakara, why yew sew ghey?

Sniggles
08-27-2011, 03:14 AM
WillPunisher is from Jersey. That's probably why he would think USA is a shithole.

Sakara.... why you sew gay?

The Return Of......
08-27-2011, 03:35 AM
You clearly don't have a sense of humor after reading that.

how do you figure i dont have a sense of humor? just because i dont laugh when something isnt funny? i love good shit talking, but the man isnt that funny. all he does is run his run mouth.

i think the whole world is too pc and that everyone should be able to laugh at themselves. but spewing the same shit over and over gets old. especially when you cant back it up.

FFFRpickup
08-27-2011, 03:36 AM

The good old USA have done a "cracker jack" job of embarrassing itself, They didn't need chael for that. They have made it so that every american is under the microscope. I fully understand that nobody has the right to talk shit about other peoples country but this is the real world. Brazilians chanting "you will die" now thats respect. The USA is hated basically clear accross the globe. don't blame Chael. Now the brazilians talk all the shit about respect..NON STOP ...yet chant "you will die". so what doess that make brazilians....respectful hypocrytes?
So You can still disrespect somebody without swearing and A Silva does it perfectly. Chael did a fantastic job of hyping the A Silva fight and backed up his words. Now the brazilians are all over the americans because they're disrespectful? please...grow up.

Im not trying to pick a fight with americans or brazilians and i'm trying not to disrespect anybody, but these are games people play to hype fights and make everybody money. So stop playing the respect card when sports/ppv buys and entertainment are rolled into one.

I am canadian so let me have it!

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 03:36 AM
especially when you cant back it up.

Clearly the punishment inflicted on one of the greatest fighters of all time isnt backing it up.

The Return Of......
08-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Clearly the punishment inflicted on one of the greatest fighters of all time isnt backing it up.

are you talking about the title fight the sonnen lost because he tapped out??

the fight in which in the post fight conference he said he came in second place? the same fight he said he was going to win the title in and didnt win the title?

he hit silva 289 times and LOST..... sorry but thats not backing up shit.

Sakara=Excitement
08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
are you talking about the title fight the sonnen lost because he tapped out??

the fight in which in the post fight conference he said he came in second place? the same fight he said he was going to win the title in and didnt win the title?

he hit silva 289 times and LOST..... sorry but thats not backing up shit.

That's not backing it up? Hitting Anderson more times than any other man, dropping Anderson which no one else has done to my knowledge. Being in a fight inside a cage...yeah clearly not backing up his words. I dont think you know what that saying means.

Him talking shit and then choosing not to fight would be not backing up his talk.

The Return Of......
08-27-2011, 04:07 AM
That's not backing it up? Hitting Anderson more times than any other man, dropping Anderson which no one else has done to my knowledge. Being in a fight inside a cage...yeah clearly not backing up his words. I dont think you know what that saying means.

Him talking shit and then choosing not to fight would be not backing up his talk.

him saying he was going to take silva's title...saying he was going to win the fight..... which he didnt do... he said it, he didnt do it.

IceCold48
08-27-2011, 04:17 AM
him saying he was going to take silva's title...saying he was going to win the fight..... which he didnt do... he said it, he didnt do it.

his exact words were it was going to be a one sided pounding with him swinging the hammer. he did that.

initial_zen
08-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Chael did a fantastic job of hyping the A Silva fight and backed up his words.

almost winning isnt winning.. just saying. And saying youre going to do something and then almost do it isnt backing up your word.

Kimbo> Rampage
08-28-2011, 09:14 AM
his exact words were it was going to be a one sided pounding with him swinging the hammer. he did that.

He said many times that he was going to beat Anderson and get his belt. He is picking out one quote that spewed from his mouth to make himself look good.

He will get ko'd in a rematch. Im open to a "loser gets banned" bet with any of you Sonnen backing fools.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
http://nwso.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/richard-simmons-not-gay.jpg

^
l
l
l Sakara