PDA

View Full Version : Toney vs Peter 2!!!

Punk Ass
01-06-2007, 04:45 AM
This fight comes on Shotime tomorrow. Surprised it wasn't posted yet. I say Toney by UD!

Luis Cruz
01-06-2007, 06:02 AM
I say Toney's a crybaby, lost against Rahman, lost again Peter, doesn't deserve this rematch and this whole Billy Blanks hype is nothing but that...hype. He came in bigger than last fight, how the hell is his cardio going to be better, it's not. Where Peter came in 8lbs lighter and looks way better than he did last fight. I hope he knocks Toney's head into the 3rd row and ends his career. Peter by KO round 9. If not that, a clear unanimous deicision this time and if that happens, no matter how clear...TONEY WILL STILL CRY ABOUT IT! :sadsmile1:

Punk Ass
01-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I say Toney's a crybaby, lost against Rahman, lost again Peter, doesn't deserve this rematch and this whole Billy Blanks hype is nothing but that...hype. He came in bigger than last fight, how the hell is his cardio going to be better, it's not. Where Peter came in 8lbs lighter and looks way better than he did last fight. I hope he knocks Toney's head into the 3rd row and ends his career. Peter by KO round 9. If not that, a clear unanimous deicision this time and if that happens, no matter how clear...TONEY WILL STILL CRY ABOUT IT! :sadsmile1:

LOL, I take it you don't like Toney very much:grinsmile1:

Toney did look leaner but what the hell happend to all the talk of slimming down??? The dude just put 20lb of muscle on. I hope billy and Toney know something I dont know, cause all I see is him gassing by the 8th round and getting hit by those bombs, hopefully he still doesn't get KOed this time :ahh:

Dork8503
01-06-2007, 01:19 PM

toney never lost against rahman, it was a draw because he was fat and out of shape and gassed, same goes with the peter fight, all though i think it was alot closer then the 2 judges had it, just looked bad when peter was hitting toney and moving him back because of his power, didnt really need to hit him clear just looked bad because peter has so much power, im not saying toney won but it was alot closer then that shit, i want toney to win tonight, but he said he got in shape didnt really look like it to me

Punk Ass
01-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Heres a vid of the weigh in!! Look at the way Peter looks at Toney. Like he wants to take his head off lol

http://www.sho.com/site/video/player.do?video=/boxing/2007/010607_we

Afro
01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
I cant wait, I think Peters take it again but its gonna be a goooooood fight

Luis Cruz
01-06-2007, 05:45 PM
toney never lost against rahman, it was a draw because he was fat and out of shape and gassed, same goes with the peter fight, all though i think it was alot closer then the 2 judges had it, just looked bad when peter was hitting toney and moving him back because of his power, didnt really need to hit him clear just looked bad because peter has so much power, im not saying toney won but it was alot closer then that shit, i want toney to win tonight, but he said he got in shape didnt really look like it to me

Yes i know it was a draw, but he lost that fight without question, Rahman was robbed. Yea it had to do with him beig out of shape, i'm not saying Rahman is the better fighter but that's what happens when you don't put any effort into nutrition. I agree it should've been closer but Peter still won that fight, this rematch should not be happening until Peter won the title first.

JimmyMoore
01-06-2007, 07:44 PM

Come on now... Toney has never been stopped in a fight, let alone KOed. Also when you have a natural fighter like Toney, 12 rounds experience with the other fighter to figure out his fight style cant be overstated. I look for another close fight, but with Toney pulling out the UD as most ringside said was the case last time.

Luis Cruz
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Come on now... Toney has never been stopped in a fight, let alone KOed. Also when you have a natural fighter like Toney, 12 rounds experience with the other fighter to figure out his fight style cant be overstated. I look for another close fight, but with Toney pulling out the UD as most ringside said was the case last time.

So what you're saying is because he was never KO'd he can't be? You remember Toney being seriously rocked in the first fight, although he claims he wasn't like he's usual bs. Peter can DEFINATLEY KO Toney. Will he, who knows? But he can. Toney has never been KO'd fighting Middleweights on up to a lackluster Cruiserweight division at the time aside from one guy he fought. Then he fights a very old Holyfield and a hardly impressive up and down Rahman. He has never faced anyone with Peter's power before and he knows this now, i guarentee he takes that into account this time around.

Just because ringside had him winning don't mean he won the first fight, he lost and his mouth just tries and convice everyone otherwise. He'll cry everytime things don't go his way. The WBC made a HUGE mistake making a rematch now instead of doing what they said and giving Peter his deserved title shot first, they just opened the door for every future fight that's close to be contested. There have been hundreds of fights that could be argued but not until Toney cries does anyone do anything, that's crap and not consistant. I would have had NO problem if they would've gave Peter the shot and Toney a stay busy fight then if they both won, the rematch.

No Harlem i don't like him. lol I think his boxing skills, even at this age, is a gift to the sport and the fans but i think his attitude is exactly the opposite, bad for the sport and not needed.

Matt Boone
01-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure which side to lean towards on this one. I'm routing for Toney, wouldn't be shocked if he wins on points, but expect Peter to win via late stoppage or points.

JimmyMoore
01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
So what you're saying is because he was never KO'd he can't be? You remember Toney being seriously rocked in the first fight, although he claims he wasn't like he's usual bs. Peter can DEFINATLEY KO Toney. Will he, who knows? But he can. Toney has never been KO'd fighting Middleweights on up to a lackluster Cruiserweight division at the time aside from one guy he fought. Then he fights a very old Holyfield and a hardly impressive up and down Rahman. He has never faced anyone with Peter's power before and he knows this now, i guarentee he takes that into account this time around.

Just because ringside had him winning don't mean he won the first fight, he lost and his mouth just tries and convice everyone otherwise. He'll cry everytime things don't go his way. The WBC made a HUGE mistake making a rematch now instead of doing what they said and giving Peter his deserved title shot first, they just opened the door for every future fight that's close to be contested. There have been hundreds of fights that could be argued but not until Toney cries does anyone do anything, that's crap and not consistant. I would have had NO problem if they would've gave Peter the shot and Toney a stay busy fight then if they both won, the rematch.

No Harlem i don't like him. lol I think his boxing skills, even at this age, is a gift to the sport and the fans but i think his attitude is exactly the opposite, bad for the sport and not needed.

No, No... Everyone CAN be KOed, except maybe Mark Hunt. However, when someone has had 77 professional fights and never even been stopped, to predict a knockout it would seem is somewhat unlikely. And yes, I remember Toney being rocked. Then I remember him battling back to win the middle rounds, and finishing the fight just like he did 76 times before that. However, I agree that Peter has more power than anyone Toney has fought before. I place more emphasis on Toney's natural ability to adapt to his opponent's fighting style to carry him to winning this one.

And I agree with you that the WBC made a mistake here requiring a rematch, but if there is one thing Toney is even better at than fighting, it's talking. Also, whatever you thought about the first fight, you've gotta agree that the decision was debatable.

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 12:28 AM
No, No... Everyone CAN be KOed, except maybe Mark Hunt. However, when someone has had 77 professional fights and never even been stopped, to predict a knockout it would seem is somewhat unlikely. And yes, I remember Toney being rocked. Then I remember him battling back to win the middle rounds, and finishing the fight just like he did 76 times before that. However, I agree that Peter has more power than anyone Toney has fought before. I place more emphasis on Toney's natural ability to adapt to his opponent's fighting style to carry him to winning this one.

And I agree with you that the WBC made a mistake here requiring a rematch, but if there is one thing Toney is even better at than fighting, it's talking. Also, whatever you thought about the first fight, you've gotta agree that the decision was debatable.

Yea but you're counting 70 fights that weren't at Heavyweight, it's not the same. To predict Peter koing someone, even Toney, is anything but unrealistic especially taking into consideration how bad he was rocked in that fight and that wasn't a one time thing in that fight. Toney did fight back later but that doesn't have anything to do with that moment in time, it still shows Peter can rock him and if it happens early in the fight with Peter still being fresh forget it, he'll finish him. Peter slows down too, that's his biggest weakness but now he's 8lbs lighter so i expect even better conditioning from him, better than Toney, i'm not buying into the Billy Blanks hype cause he weighs more now even if he put on muscle not fat, he'll still tire just as bad. This isn't the Toney of old, he can't adapt like he use to cause he doesn't have any leg movement. His body is there for the taking and Peter did that in the first fight and i expect it even more this fight.

The first one was close, yes. I believe i even said after it that a draw would've been ok, but by no means was there anything for Toney to cry about or anything for the WBC to make this decision. I'm more amped for this fight now! lol

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Speaking of Toney weighing more now than before. I garauntee you Larry Merchant is going to piss Toney off again because he will be asking "Why do you way more, when Billy Blanks was supposed to be training you?"

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Speaking of Toney weighing more now than before. I garauntee you Larry Merchant is going to piss Toney off again because he will be asking "Why do you way more, when Billy Blanks was supposed to be training you?"

Yea that's what makes him great. lol Someone got really pissed at him recently and almost looked like they were going to take a shot at him, i forgot who it was, maybe Mayweather? But whoever it was got seriously pissed at a legitimate question. I love Larry no matter what anyone else thinks, he asks what needs to be asked.

JimmyMoore
01-07-2007, 04:54 AM
Damn dude, Travis Simms looked upstoppable tonight. Does anyone know anything about him?

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Yea Simms is decent but he just looked incredible tonight against a guy whose not a top echelon fighter, just average. He caught a nice break winning that title he brough to the ring but that fight was pretty predictable in the outcome, he didn't move for shit it was only a matter of time. Plus punching in slow motion didn't help. lol

And wow what a clinic by Peter. Told ya that Billy Blanks thing had way too much hype around it and Peter's training didn't have enough. I had it 118-100 and the two rounds i gave him were still close but i gave them to Toney. I think his best chance for a KO was when the ref stepped in early in the fight to tell him not to punch in the back of his head which is bullshit because the refs usually warn the other guy unless they are both upright. If the guy ducks all the way down like that, you're going to hit the back of his head, nothing you can do except not punch at all which is dumb or go to the body which Peter did do also.

Anyways, i told everyone a long time ago Peter was taking over this division in the future he just needed a good trainer and nutritionist. And after Reid came in to train him i came back and told everyone, there would be a quick difference shown in Peter's game and i don't think it's been even a year since then and look at him now. Great solid jab, way better defense (he didn't have any before), and a lot more patient. He's also in much better condition. By the time he fights Wlad again he'll be ready (about 3 or 4 more fights) and Wlad's getting KO'd. He should have the titles unified by the end of next year.

Oh this was a perfect example of why i hate Toney. STILL doesn't give the guy credit and STILL cried about the decision being bullshit when it wasn't even close. You could tell he didn't even believe the shit coming out of his mouth. He's 38 and acts like a 15 year old. I don't know how anyone can even like him and be a fan. You have to admire and respect what he's done, his skills, and his heart when he fights but he blows it all away when he starts talking. A buildup for a fight is fine but to be completely disrespectful after it's over and you got blown away is pathetic. I really just want him to go away now.

Lastly Peter by destruction when he faces Maskeav.

Dork8503
01-07-2007, 07:08 AM
peter gets a little more stamina he will be pretty hard force, i still dont see him beating wlad, wald has gotten better from their fight fight too, but i still think when they fight that its going to be a war, but wouldnt be surprised if peter won by ko but i dont think it will happen

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 08:08 AM
IMO if Toney was a natural HW, he would have KOed Peter. Toney landed some really good shots but the only problem is Toney is way too small. I don't care if he's an obnoxious, self absorbed ass hole. He has that killer instinct and a will to win. The only problem, Peter is just bigger. IMO, Toney may really be the in the top 5 pound for pound. His style is just like PBF he's just way past his weight class.

Afro
01-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Damn did Peters look sloppy or what? the guy slugged it and still outboxed Toney whos no pushover.. just didnt show up.. dude was too defensive, ate way too many shots from Peters who IMO will give boxing fans something to watch, and watch a lot in the HW division in the near future.. I wasnt impressed with Peters boxing.. but I thought he showed a lot of charisma.. and he made the fight exciting.. must say I was letdown but shit that first fight was hard to top anyways.

Salvy_Mic
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Well, I'm not much of a James Toney fight, but he was game throughout the entire fight and still did enough to make Sam Peter whiff a few punches, or hit nothing but arms and gloves. With that said, I'm very pleased though, that Peter got the win, and not just a win, but a convincing one at that. I didn't think he'd KO Toney, but I was surprised that he knocked Toney down with a jab. Even if he was off balance, that has to be some power to knock someone down with a jab. I'm very excited to see Sam Peter get the opportunity to face Maskaev (and he'll KO Maskaev). Given the right sort of fights afterwards and build-up, him and Wlad Klitschko meeting to unify the titles would be the absolute best thing to happen to the HW division in quite awhile and put the heavyweights back in the spotlight. Klitschko'll take out either Briggs or Valuev. We may very well see a true HW champion sooner rather than later.

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 04:43 PM
peter gets a little more stamina he will be pretty hard force, i still dont see him beating wlad, wald has gotten better from their fight fight too, but i still think when they fight that its going to be a war, but wouldnt be surprised if peter won by ko but i dont think it will happen

Wlad hasn't really improved any since their first bout. He was already improved when they fought. It was his jab followed by the straight right that won him the first fight. Peter on the other hand is a completely different fighter in every aspect except the power, it's still the same. I'm not saying Peter will kill him, he'll still have to get around that long and strong jab of Wlad but i think using his own jab it'll help tremedously with that. Plus he goes to the body a lot more which could be the key to setting Wlad up for a KO. There's not much more room for Wlad to grow while Peter is still very young and will have more experience by the time they meet again, While i see Wlad giving him problems for the first 4 or 5 rounds, i don't see him surviving 12 rounds again.

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Klitschko'll take out either Briggs or Valuev. We may very well see a true HW champion sooner rather than later.

Hard for me to really see Wlad beating Valuev. He's never fought anyone with that kind of size. Wlad depends on his size and reach most of the time. If Vakuev hits him its a rap

jesusatemyhotdog
01-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Hard for me to really see Wlad beating Valuev. He's never fought anyone with that kind of size. Wlad depends on his size and reach most of the time. If Vakuev hits him its a rap

Who has, besides those who have already fought Valuev?

That guy is a freak.

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Wlad will never let that big goofy guy inside. He's way too slow, Wlad will catch him all day long with that right hand and be out of there before he can counter. Valuev also showed a suspect chin with Barrett so Wlad can definately KO him and most likely will. I think that's a real easy fight for Wlad with Manny in his corner, he'll come in with a perfect gameplan, Valuev is crap. He didn't even beat Ruiz for christ's sake...lol that was highway robbery if i ever seen it.

Dork8503
01-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Valuev is a horrible fighter, well not horrible just goofy and sloppy, and based on his performace with monte wlad would ko him with his eyes closed, that 7' somthing 300 man was getting rocked and knocked off balance in that fight , yes it happened not very much by monte is a lot smaller and not near enough power as wlad, if Valuev and wlad fight i would be surpised if valuev made it past the 5th round, the guy is to sloppy, and i dont know why everyone still says wlad has a poor chin, the guy has lost 3 times, and when he lost to lamon it was become he had no stamina and lamon put it to him, same for his other fight he ran out of juice, i dont know about his first loss never seen the fight, now his stamina is a little better, and peter couldnt ko him the first time and i dont see it this time, i think peter will be hitting the canvas in there next fight wlad was way to careful in the first fight because he had been knocked down what like 3 times so he was scared and when he had peter rocked he didnt even really try to finish him off,

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 09:20 PM
i dont know about his first loss never seen the fight, now his stamina is a little better, and peter couldnt ko him the first time and i dont see it this time,

I guess you didn't see the "Can" Corrie Sanders KO Wlad in the second round. Sanders made Wlad really look like a can. Wlad has no chin at all! If he gets hit clean, 9 times out of 10 it's over.

Luis Cruz
01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I guess you didn't see the "Can" Corrie Sanders KO Wlad in the second round. Sanders made Wlad really look like a can. Wlad has no chin at all! If he gets hit clean, 9 times out of 10 it's over.

I agree, Sanders destroyed him and exposed that glass jaw. Brewster was only like the 4th round or something. lol He has a glass jaw and that's why Manny keeps him using that jab a lot to keep people away and set up that right hand. He's still improved a lot but a chin is something you can't fix, either have one or you don't. I also mentioned Peter going to the body a lot more now, that'll help him in that fight. Peter's cardio is better now also. And when Wlad hurt him, he couldn't finish, he damn sure tried. Peter showed great heart and the main reason he was hurt is because he was exhausted, so that punch was probably 10xs worse cause of that. The next fight would still be good but i'll take Peter all day.

JimmyMoore
01-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I've still gotta go with Klitschko. Peter is definately an improved fighter, but remember he had a 5 inch reach advantage on Toney. He's not gonna have that advantage with Wlad. His defense is still seriously lacking, and that will hurt him against a fighter with a jab like Klitschko's. He fought the entire fight last night with his hands at his waist. He can get by with sloppy defense against a smaller guy like Toney, but that shit wont cut it against Klitschko.
Also Klitschko is a much more confident fighter than when these two first fought. He takes almost NO chances anymore to reach and throw punches. He'll throw the jab 24579823 times in a row before he'll shoot with that massive straight right, and we know he can hurt Peter. So I would expect to see pretty much the same thing as last fight. Remember, Peter knocked Wlad down 3 times and still no one expected him to win the fight when the bell rang due to Klitschko's dominance with the jab. I dont see why it should be any different next time.

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 11:57 PM
I've still gotta go with Klitschko. Peter is definately an improved fighter, but remember he had a 5 inch reach advantage on Toney. He's not gonna have that advantage with Wlad. His defense is still seriously lacking, and that will hurt him against a fighter with a jab like Klitschko's. He fought the entire fight last night with his hands at his waist. He can get by with sloppy defense against a smaller guy like Toney, but that shit wont cut it against Klitschko.
Also Klitschko is a much more confident fighter than when these two first fought. He takes almost NO chances anymore to reach and throw punches. He'll throw the jab 24579823 times in a row before he'll shoot with that massive straight right, and we know he can hurt Peter. So I would expect to see pretty much the same thing as last fight. Remember, Peter knocked Wlad down 3 times and still no one expected him to win the fight when the bell rang due to Klitschko's dominance with the jab. I dont see why it should be any different next time.

I personally think Peter has learned from these few Toney fights. I think his trainers will have him mimicing Toneys defense, throw more combos, go to the body, copy a lil of that shell defense of Toneys.

Afro
01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Peters will walk thru the HW division, he just beat his biggest threat twice.

Luis Cruz
01-08-2007, 12:22 AM

You answered your own question, it's that simple actually. Unless he's aompletely retarted he won't be fighting Wlad with his hands down and even if he is Reid will correct him immediately, he won't let him fight like that. He obviously didn't respect Toney's power because Toney, even with the best punches he could've thrown and landed, never once fazed him. He knows Wlad has power he won't play that game.

Punk Ass
01-08-2007, 01:44 AM
You answered your own question, it's that simple actually. Unless he's aompletely retarted he won't be fighting Wlad with his hands down and even if he is Reid will correct him immediately, he won't let him fight like that. He obviously didn't respect Toney's power because Toney, even with the best punches he could've thrown and landed, never once fazed him. He knows Wlad has power he won't play that game.

Agreed, but easier said than done, not to many people survive Wlads punches unless they KO him first. But I think Peter will be a much improved fighter by the time the rematch happens

JimmyMoore
01-08-2007, 03:41 AM

Simply because he is an improved fighter doesnt mean things will necessarily be any different. He's putting combinations together MUCH better now, and not clubbing for 12 rounds. However, I have seen no evidence that his defense has gotten any better. He is still open for the jab allll fucking day. And, once again, since that's the only punch Klitschko throws, I don't see why a second fight would be any different.

Luis Cruz
01-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Simply because he is an improved fighter doesnt mean things will necessarily be any different. He's putting combinations together MUCH better now, and not clubbing for 12 rounds. However, I have seen no evidence that his defense has gotten any better. He is still open for the jab allll fucking day. And, once again, since that's the only punch Klitschko throws, I don't see why a second fight would be any different.

I'll just quote myself instead of writing it again since it applies here.

Unless he's completely retarted he won't be fighting Wlad with his hands down and even if he is Reid will correct him immediately, he won't let him fight like that. He obviously didn't respect Toney's power because Toney, even with the best punches he could've thrown and landed, never once fazed him. He knows Wlad has power he won't play that game.

He won't fight with the same gameplan as he does for everyone, especially someone with size and power like Wlad.

One thing i must say at least we got a little action in this forum for boxing, i don't go anywhere else to talk boxing so that's good. lol

Salvy_Mic
01-09-2007, 09:16 AM
I seriously can't wait for Klitschko/Peter II. I know, I shouldn't count my chickens 'till they hatch, but I cannot see anyway how Peter could possibly lose to Oleg Maskaev, nor can I see Klitschko losing to Briggs, Valuev, or whoever his IBF mandatory is. And who knows, maybe Lamon Brewster comes back to make things more interesting.

Dork8503
01-09-2007, 11:29 PM
when they fight again, and wlad rocks peter he isnt going to hesitate to ko him this time he will finish him off

Jones
01-11-2007, 04:59 AM
when they fight again, and wlad rocks peter he isnt going to hesitate to ko him this time he will finish him off

It's difficult in teaching a fighter to show 'guts' in the ring. Wlad will always have that Sanders beating in the back of his mind. When you're fighting men half a foot shorter than you, you can keep them at bay and your chin is quite safe. It's when you take risks by opening up and leaving your chin exposed. That's where Sanders took his opportunity. To be honest, Wlad did take Sanders lightly. I don't think he even knew the difference between Corey Sanders and Corrie Sanders until the weigh in.
I don't think Wlad even sparred with southpaws in preparation seeing how clueless he was but then again, it's difficult trying to think in the ring when you're getting hit. His defense was offense, he was covering up while hurt and yet was throwing without looking at the target. Manny Steward has been teaching him well. Wlad uses his size alot better now and his jab is tremendous, plus he knows when to hold and he doesn't do it in a John Ruiz grab and grope manner.
If there is a Wlad/Peter 2, it will be another good fight and Peter may land a bit more than last time but I see Wlad using his intelligence and winning by a clear decision just like their first encounter Well unless he gets tagged and KO'd but I think the chances of that are remote. He's been dropped a few times in his career but he never really lost his wits. He still went back in there and fought.
Peter obviously has improved but not to the point where he's going to be bobbing/weaving and countering Wlad's long stiff jab, nor avoiding the straight right hand.
UD for Wlad in a good fight. By the looks of it, Peter/Maskaev is the fight to be made since Peter now is the official mandatory for Maskaev's WBC title. But even so, I wouldn't mind seeing Wlad/Maskaev in a WBC/IBF unification. I think Maskaev brings more to the table than most fans expect.