PDA

View Full Version : Sonnen talks Silva & 134

Cat--Smasher
09-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Sonnen appeared on MMA Live yesterday and has this to say about UFC 134's Anderson Silva..

Sonnen had this to say about Anderson’s performance:

“The bottom line is that Anderson Silva did an awesome job. He continues with his dominance, he’s such a good striker and what he’s really good at is keeping guys at range and having guys fight his fight.”

“…people just aren’t getting over the mental side of it…it becomes very apparent when you stand around and watch Anderson in front of you. If you look at Vitor Belfort’s mouth, it was almost open and he was in awe right before the finishing strike. If you look at Yushin’s face, he’s almost in awe and wondering what’s coming next before the finishing strikes come.”
Video: Chael Sonnen Weighs in on UFC 134, Furthers Theories About Him Having Multiple Personality Disorder | Cagepotato (http://www.cagepotato.com/video-chael-sonnen-weighs-in-on-ufc-134-furthers-theories-about-him-having-multiple-personality-disorder/)

dexter
09-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Wow, some sensible words out of Sonnen's mouth!

The8thPlague
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
It was definitely noticeable in the Yushin fight.
You could actually see Anderson breaking his will with every head movement he had.
You could see on Yushin's face that he just knew there was Nothing he could do against Silva.
And when that 2ND jab sent Yushin to the ground he just looked at Anderson like "Are you actually gonna come for me this time?" And when he did Okami just went fetal and took the punishment.
Mentally BROKEN.

roaddawg
09-03-2011, 03:04 PM
I think he was shocked by Silva's power because it was just a jab. What people fail to understand is that one solid placed jab in the right spot can leave you off balanced. Take that into consideration along with the fact that Silva is a lot stronger than he looks I think surprises a lot of his opponents.

I believe the jab is one of the most underused weapons in MMA and I don't understand why.

initial_zen
09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Silvas jab is definitely one of the few that you absolutely cannot walk through. Silvas Speed + power + range = deviation lol

TN94z
09-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I think he was shocked by Silva's power because it was just a jab. What people fail to understand is that one solid placed jab in the right spot can leave you off balanced. Take that into consideration along with the fact that Silva is a lot stronger than he looks I think surprises a lot of his opponents.

I believe the jab is one of the most underused weapons in MMA and I don't understand why.

My thoughts exactly. He is much stronger and hits harder than it appears. Everyone talked about Forrest dropping with that walk away jab....but there is some power on those jabs and then add in the accuracy and you have a hard strike.

Masscore
09-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Forget the "rib injury" but I think this is why Sonnen and Lutter did so well against Silva when everyone else has been made a fool of. Both guys got right in Silva's face and did not back down and kept coming at him. Hate Sonnen and/or Lutter but you have to admit both guys have said the same thing. You can not be scared of Silva when you fight him and you have to bring the fight to him. You can not let him sit back and get his timing down because then it is only a matter of time before it is over.

This is part of the reason why I want to see Stann fight Silva. I think Stann would go in there with a 80s Mike Tyson attitude and try to take Silva's head off. While chances are he would get KO'd he would at least go down swinging and who knows maybe even hurt Silva once or twice.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-07-2011, 02:39 AM
You can not be scared of Silva when you fight him and you have to bring the fight to him. You can not let him sit back and get his timing down because then it is only a matter of time before it is over.

This is part of the reason why I want to see Stann fight Silva. I think Stann would go in there with a 80s Mike Tyson attitude and try to take Silva's head off. While chances are he would get KO'd he would at least go down swinging and who knows maybe even hurt Silva once or twice.

Yes, they both pushed the pace and took him down. If your a striker and Anderson expects you to strike with him, pushing the pace will not end well. Leban, Franklin, Irvin, Hendo and Forrest all pushed the pace on Anderson and It did not end well... Thats just to name a few that he has fought in the UFC.

That is a good strategy for a wrestler or grappler, but that has not been proven for a striker. Sonnen did catch Anderson a couple of times but Anderson was anticipating takedowns and had his movement prohibited with his injury.

Masscore
09-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Yes, they both pushed the pace and took him down. If your a striker and Anderson expects you to strike with him, pushing the pace will not end well. Leban, Franklin, Irvin, Hendo and Forrest all pushed the pace on Anderson and It did not end well... Thats just to name a few that he has fought in the UFC.

That is a good strategy for a wrestler or grappler, but that has not been proven for a striker. Sonnen did catch Anderson a couple of times but Anderson was anticipating takedowns and had his movement prohibited with his injury.

Well a striker is not going to beat Anderson. I want to see Stann fight Anderson because I think it would be a fun fight and he would go down swinging. But I still expect him to go down. Anderson is hands down the best striker in MMA and if your plan is to strike with him he is going to KO you and its going to be violent.

The MW who is going to beat Silva is a Sonnen style fighter but with submission defense. If Sonnen has learned to avoid being submitted, which I doubt, I think he would beat Silva rather handily. The problem is his sub defense is so piss poor Silva will eventually submit him every single time.

Now if he moves to LHW its a whole other story because I think anyone in the Top 6 (Jones, Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Evans and Davis) would have a legit shot at beating Silva. But at the same time I would not be surprised if he beat all of them.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-07-2011, 05:36 AM
Well a striker is not going to beat Anderson. I want to see Stann fight Anderson because I think it would be a fun fight and he would go down swinging. But I still expect him to go down. Anderson is hands down the best striker in MMA and if your plan is to strike with him he is going to KO you and its going to be violent.

The MW who is going to beat Silva is a Sonnen style fighter but with submission defense. If Sonnen has learned to avoid being submitted, which I doubt, I think he would beat Silva rather handily. The problem is his sub defense is so piss poor Silva will eventually submit him every single time.

Now if he moves to LHW its a whole other story because I think anyone in the Top 6 (Jones, Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Evans and Davis) would have a legit shot at beating Silva. But at the same time I would not be surprised if he beat all of them.

Yes it definitely would be an exciting fight. It wouldnt last long. It would be non stop action, with anderson stopping stann eventually.

I do agree about the top of LHW division being extremely hard for Anderson. Any of those guys could beat him. That is the most top heavy division in mma. Id take Davis off that list though, replace him with henderson. Davis is far too young into his career to beat any of those guys.

Anderson may be the GOAT, but I would not pick him to run through all those guys.

CtGreat
09-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Yes it definitely would be an exciting fight. It wouldnt last long. It would be non stop action, with anderson stopping stann eventually.

I do agree about the top of LHW division being extremely hard for Anderson. Any of those guys could beat him. That is the most top heavy division in mma. Id take Davis off that list though, replace him with henderson. Davis is far too young into his career to beat any of those guys.

Anderson may be the GOAT, but I would not pick him to run through all those guys.
Id pick Silva to run through any of the strikers in the 205 devision, and sub the likes of Davis/Bader/etc. However, Silva vs Rashad is a complete tossup in my opinion. Rashad has never even been reversed in his entire career.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Id pick Silva to run through any of the strikers in the 205 devision, and sub the likes of Davis/Bader/etc. However, Silva vs Rashad is a complete tossup in my opinion. Rashad has never even been reversed in his entire career.

Yes, Rashad would be a very tough for Anderson. A tougher fight than Sonnen. Rashad is fast, explosive and strong. He does have good power but his chin is suspect. Not sure he would even attempt to stand with Anderson.

I dont consider Davis and Bader top LHW's, hopefully Anderson doesnt fight either of them. Rampage would also be a tough fight for Anderson. He would land some good accurate shots but rampage has a great chin, good boxing, and huge power. And Jones would also be a hard fight for Anderson.

Trodden
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow, some sensible words out of Sonnen's mouth!

I wonder if Dana had his hand up Chael's ass, like the dummy Sonnen is