PDA

View Full Version : The best striking style?

Punk Ass
01-07-2007, 12:49 AM
What's the best striking art, not only in fight sports but for self defense also?

strife
01-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Muay Thai....

DW
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
sport muay thai
self d. ballbat

tmatwig
01-07-2007, 01:03 AM
counter punching like chuck and crocop seem to work really well

AJL416AZ
01-07-2007, 01:27 AM
muay thai. in the street, ring, or cage, doesn't matter

David Crow
01-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Hmm..I don't know...probably Muay thai.

Beatts35
01-07-2007, 01:53 AM
muay thai, kyokushin karate, ryu te

kyokushin and ryu te not only have similar striking to muay thai but also have self defense/standing grappling and locks, which can work well in the street

Diegonightmare
01-07-2007, 01:57 AM
I'll join the broken record chorus (with whom I agree) and vote muay thai

Sabong
01-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Thats not even a question. Muay Thai is hands down the most effective way of striking standing up in competitive sports and self defense. :angrrry:

WadoKai
01-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Karate is way underused and underappreciated as far as training in striking goes.

It gets my vote. Some styles of karate are obviously better than others.

Beowulf
01-07-2007, 03:25 AM
i think karate is more about self control, muy thia defintely in mma, but outside of sports, probably kick boxing, you dont see too many people clinch in street fights

knappman
01-07-2007, 03:35 AM
The best fighting style would be kickboxing because it is a simple technique that covers the best of everything and can be one of the most effective.

AudieMurphy1
01-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Karate is way underused and underappreciated as far as training in striking goes.

to linear

AudieMurphy1
01-07-2007, 03:53 AM
jeet kune do

TapOut27
01-07-2007, 03:59 AM
joe-son-do

:ahh:

Ubermensch
01-07-2007, 04:08 AM
Well let me thinka oh yea Muay Thai.... Yea thats it.

Cromm
01-07-2007, 05:20 AM
I dont know that there is a most effective in the street as per a brick is usually the most effective form of striking. In a competition IMO MT.

tylerunemployed
01-07-2007, 05:47 AM
muay thai..alot of accuracy...hard to break an effective clinch..dangerous knees and elbows

strife
01-07-2007, 06:26 AM

That was a funny joke ;)

jlruthven84
01-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Kenpo seems to work pretty well for Chuck in the hands department.

That being said, I cast my lot with the masses. Muay thai.

jjhk001
01-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Thats not even a question. Muay Thai is hands down the most effective way of striking standing up in competitive sports and self defense. :angrrry:

I don't agree with Muay Thai - I say Krav Maga, the Israeli Self Defense System, check it out: http://www.kravmaga.com/krav01.html

AJL416AZ
01-07-2007, 08:17 AM
krav maga is pretty much just israeli sambo. less of an indivual focused art, more of a mixup of the most effective points of other arts. i think the thread is more addressing individual standup arts.

i consider a specific style to be something with hundreds of years of tradition, and organized competition
something like boxing, karate, tae kwon do, muay thai, kickboxing, etc.

krav maga is just straight up killer art, and outside of the military, the teachings are altered because of a difference in situation. last i checked you wont be fighting anyone who has a gun, or just want to kill them ASAP.

Afro
01-07-2007, 08:17 AM
The Bas Rutten System

mcptfc2007
12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
i do muay thai so i will say that

Badluck33
12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
The Bas Rutten System

kick him in the nuts!

Ramma
12-18-2008, 10:20 PM
If we are talking pure striking like kickboxing, tae kwon do, muay thai, etc.... then it is definitely muay thai. Muay Thai can be used in any stand up situation. Close, far, bending down, etc.

If you add martial arts with combinations of striking and grappling, then muay thai is right up there with them... it really depends on what situation you find yourself in.

NAL987
12-19-2008, 12:55 AM
The Bas Rutten System

100% Agreed... "Oh whats this, the side of the table? Oh heres your head, dangidy dangidy dang!!"

Bas and a toss up between Lyotos karate style, and Andersons style of fighting. IMO

BUT really theres no BEST striking style, its the way the fighters USE there own styles in fights.

carbondioxide830
12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
most of the best strikers in the world have background in muy thai. anderson silva is the prime example...arguably the most dangerous striker in the sport and the form he uses? muy thai.

MirJitsu
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
It's really hard to say what the best striking style is. It really depends on the situation and the fighter more than anything else.

Muay Thai is going to get a lot of votes obviously and rightly so. It's an extremely effective art of striking.

But, has anyone watched Savate? They have amazing footwork.

Repenter
02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
But, has anyone watched Savate? They have amazing footwork.

ha, FAG!!!

heh, i keed, i keed. savate is a very scientific martial art, and it even comes with a side of silly shoes. i wouldn't be surprised if some silver-glove savateur (just a plain badass name) makes waves at some point due to the lack of mma 'press-time' the sport gets.

thefirm0
02-09-2009, 03:21 AM
goju-ryu karate

Sir Lancelot
02-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Muay Thai.

Dioxippus
09-01-2009, 04:36 PM
In my opinion, overall the best striking art is Ba Ji Quan, "8 extremes boging", central-northern China. It's a hard, internal art.

Of course if you're talking everyday self-defense, while I stand by my choice, you need to become like a master to be able to readily apply it. And I tend to count the learning span when talking about self-defense so I'd go with i.e. something like Wing Chun.

Punk Ass
09-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Damn, I forgot about this thread. January 1, 2007. Pride was still up and running at that time lol.

I've realized after learning much about the sport that San Shou is the best striking art.

CRisCO
04-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Damn, I forgot about this thread. January 1, 2007. Pride was still up and running at that time lol.

I've realized after learning much about the sport that San Shou is the best striking art.

And your reason for thinking that?"

Kimbo> Rampage
05-13-2010, 02:41 AM
muay thai with polished boxing. You can clown muay thai fighters with your hands and kick the shit out of boxers.

san shou is good but im sick of the cung le bs, he is not the best striker in mma and he would get tooled by anderson. His kicks are fast and accurate but dont pack much behind them, he usually snaps them as opposed to getting all his weight behind them. the sooner fighters realize that, the sooner we will see him get ko'd again.

Punk Ass
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
And your reason for thinking that?"Sorry I took so long to answer. I forgot about this thread again lol.

San Shou is the total package. Every practical strike in Kung Fu is taught in San Shou including everything Muay thai has to offer except San Shou also teaches throws and takedowns and a bigger variety of kicks.

muay thai with polished boxing. You can clown muay thai fighters with your hands and kick the shit out of boxers.

san shou is good but im sick of the cung le bs, he is not the best striker in mma and he would get tooled by anderson. His kicks are fast and accurate but dont pack much behind them, he usually snaps them as opposed to getting all his weight behind them. the sooner fighters realize that, the sooner we will see him get ko'd again.Cung Le is way past his prime and not dedicated to the sport like he should be. He is one of the best strikers but if your cardio and muscle memory isnt there, it doesnt matter how much skill you have.

Edit: and you also dont know WTF you're talking about. How the hell are you going to criticize a pro fighter and master of the art like he doesnt know how to throw a proper fucking kick? That's a retarded statement, Cung has some of the best kicks in all of MMA if not the best and the best technique to throw them. He's KO'd a few people with his kicks aswell. Speed + power and no one throws a side check kick as effectively as he does. His spinning back kicks are second to none aswell. He gets plenty of power behind the kicks he uses to KO people. Do you really think he doesnt knjow how to KO someone with a kick? lol

Until you get in the ring, fight, and throw kicks better than Cung, you have no room to talk shit about him.

Kimbo> Rampage
05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Edit: and you also dont know WTF you're talking about. How the hell are you going to criticize a pro fighter and master of the art like he doesnt know how to throw a proper fucking kick? That's a retarded statement, Cung has some of the best kicks in all of MMA if not the best and the best technique to throw them. He's KO'd a few people with his kicks aswell. Speed + power and no one throws a side check kick as effectively as he does. His spinning back kicks are second to none aswell. He gets plenty of power behind the kicks he uses to KO people. Do you really think he doesnt knjow how to KO someone with a kick? lol

Until you get in the ring, fight, and throw kicks better than Cung, you have no room to talk shit about him.

Lee like machida doesnt throw thai style kicks(actually he does sometimes but not nearly as much)

i need to elaborate when i say thai style kicks, i mean throwing the hips into it like you see in k1 and mma but you see some fighters throw snap kicks (machida) he def has some sick throws and tds that most people dont recognize(he doesnt have a reason to take it down) but as far as pure striking he is not on the level as k1 strikers or some other guys in mma(dont know how many, but anderson is def better) Anderson has great boxing and muay thai and would pick le apart.

AND BTW i am undefeated in amature kickboxing and boxing bouts(i know, doesnt mean much, but what has your fatass done). Ill throw hands with you any day son.

Punk Ass
05-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Lee like machida doesnt throw thai style kicks(actually he does sometimes but not nearly as much)

i need to elaborate when i say thai style kicks, i mean throwing the hips into it like you see in k1 and mma but you see some fighters throw snap kicks (machida) he def has some sick throws and tds that most people dont recognize(he doesnt have a reason to take it down) but as far as pure striking he is not on the level as k1 strikers or some other guys in mma(dont know how many, but anderson is def better) Anderson has great boxing and muay thai and would pick le apart.I think Silva would out strike him aswell, but he is a K1 level striker. And was also the best San Shou fighter in the world at one time.

AND BTW i am undefeated in amature kickboxing and boxing bouts(i know, doesnt mean much, but what has your fatass done). Ill throw hands with you any day son.Ok, internet gangsta lol. You dont need to prove to me how tough you are. There's plenty of guys that made the leap to pro you can pick on lol.

Leucoethiops
05-31-2010, 05:28 PM
AND BTW i am undefeated in amature kickboxing and boxing bouts(i know, doesnt mean much, but what has your fatass done). Ill throw hands with you any day son.

Big deal.

I am undefeated in boxing, kickboxing, amateur wrestling, professional wrestling, muay thai, bjj, amateur mma AND professional MMA,

0 wins. 0 losses.

Watch your back.

pdx_boxer503
06-06-2010, 11:24 PM

i need to elaborate when i say thai style kicks, i mean throwing the hips into it like you see in k1 and mma but you see some fighters throw snap kicks (machida) he def has some sick throws and tds that most people dont recognize(he doesnt have a reason to take it down) but as far as pure striking he is not on the level as k1 strikers or some other guys in mma(dont know how many, but anderson is def better) Anderson has great boxing and muay thai and would pick le apart.

Boxing

TheDoucheyWun
06-25-2010, 05:38 PM
JKD Nuff said

kickbox
11-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Boxing

muay thai has everything.:dancingsmile:

CHAEL fan
11-13-2010, 03:38 AM

Funniest old post that I've read in quite some time :lmfao::lmfao:

PathOfNames
11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
muay thai has everything.:dancingsmile:

No shit. Look at these guys go:

COC elite promo Nov 19th - Dedicated To The World Of Muay Thai. (http://community.coc-elite.com/video/264/COC-elite-promo-Nov-19th-.aspx)

I'm surprised their shins aren't a bloody pulp after the round.

kickbox
11-26-2010, 05:02 AM
What's the best striking art, not only in fight sports but for self defense also?

Muay thai, heres my logic. If you have hands, and you use them completely and they break! Now you have the clinch , if that fails you have low kicks, if that fails you have high kick, if that fails you have to take a page out of wrestling lol.

Bas1
04-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Muay Thai. But I also love Boxing. You have to adapt Boxing for MMA though.

Iron Triangle
10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Muay Thai because it teaches clinching. I've also heard elbows are better to throw in a street fight than fists because there less chance of breaking ones hands.

The kicks, regardless of style are risky to throw in real fight because it increases your chances of going to the ground. Unless it's low kicks.

Sniggles
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
The best striking style is to be well-versed in all and rely on none, hence the philosophy of Bruce Lee.

No art contains every strike that is effective, if you take a little from all styles and meld them into your own then you can be unstoppable.

CRisCO
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Muay Thai is the "best" striking art IMO.

But you shouldn't neglect other stuff.

Judo is awesome for self defense.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Boxing + Muay thai is the best way to go...

Muay Thai has it all, but you get real hands from boxing...

Judo is awesome for self defense.

We can classify Judo as Grappling.

dbader08
10-03-2012, 03:41 AM
The best striking style is to be well-versed in all and rely on none, hence the philosophy of Bruce Lee.

No art contains every strike that is effective, if you take a little from all styles and meld them into your own then you can be unstoppable.

I agree.

CRisCO
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Boxing + Muay thai is the best way to go...

Muay Thai has it all, but you get real hands from boxing...

We can classify Judo as Grappling.

Boxing has a lot more genetics involved then Muay Thai IMO.

The ability to use elbow strikes, kicks, and knee's effectively counter acts the natural athleticism required for boxing.