PDA

View Full Version : Best training methods for BJJ

Tokyo's bad boy
01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
I've been training in BJJ for over a year now and doing really well. I get to train BJJ 2 and sometimes 3 days a week and I have a tournament coming up in the end of Feb. I was wondering what are some good methods of getting techniques down and instinctive? I write all my techniques down very carefully in a book and it's all organized very well with great attention to detail and I made a dummy that I use to practice on (it's limited what I can do on it, though) I always stay 15-45 min after class to roll and that's probably why I'm progressing so well, but what are some good solo exercises to do? Any idea's would be appreciated.

Ubermensch
01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Hell there are some Yoga type workouts that I do that really work your core alot and use your body leverage in the same way you would use your body from guard alot. Frank Shamrock has a cool workout video that has a few of them in and Vitor Belfort has one too. But Vitors are some of the things you do in class anyway and you need a partner with his. But If you just find some Hatha Yoga books or vids they definately help the flexability. Cant get both feet behind my head but I can get my right one. SO I guess if you didn't go at it half assed like I do it would help tremendously.

Tokyo's bad boy
01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Hell there are some Yoga type workouts that I do that really work your core alot and use your body leverage in the same way you would use your body from guard alot. Frank Shamrock has a cool workout video that has a few of them in and Vitor Belfort has one too. But Vitors are some of the things you do in class anyway and you need a partner with his. But If you just find some Hatha Yoga books or vids they definately help the flexability. Cant get both feet behind my head but I can get my right one. SO I guess if you didn't go at it half assed like I do it would help tremendously.

Thanks, I actually did yoga for a long time (I still do now and then) and your right, it really does help with flexability and core strenght. I always recomened it to people.

Pythonfighter14
08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
YOu aactually might want to consider taking some basic Freestyle or Folkstyle wrestling courses ( I can't see greco Roman helping you much in BJJ)

I started taking BJJ to augment my Wrestling and i imagine it would work vice versa