PDA

View Full Version : Fighters hurt by past videos?

Trodden
09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I've been watching UFC 135 and Pride 33 a lot this past week, and a question came to me.

It seems that Nate and Nick used a similar approach to Gomi, and not just using range, by using Gomi's wild punching against him.

It could be argued that they are brothers, have similar style's and camps, but my question is this..

Does having video's of past fights make it easier to build a gameplan against a fighter, and if it does (which is obvious), who is the worst at not evolving?

One that stands out to me is Chuck. After watching the Rampage, Wandy, and Rashad fights, it seems clear (IMO) that the Chuck's boxing habits gave Rashad his opening.

Its hard to narrow down just one that stands out in pigeon-holing themselves.

any thoughts on who hasn't evolved, or who evolved faster then normal?

I'd have to vote Bisbing as least evolved (I still respect him)

and Melvin as the fastest evolved, in the past few years/fights

The Sword
09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes it can, if the person watching the video knows what they are watching and what tells to look for. When I am training for an up coming fight or helping one of my team members get ready for their fights, the very first thing we do is hop on google and do research. That why as a fighter and trainer you must evolve, and keep people guessing. Thats why I don't like to post any of my fights online, or if I do I leave them up for a month or 2 for people to see then I remove them, but big name pros don't have that option. As for who was the worst at evolving I would have to go with Wandy he uses the same style every fight. I was going to say Chuck but he changed his style for te fight with rich user more kicks and not just looking for the over hand right. It was just to little to late.

Kimbo> Rampage
09-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Yes, clearly. Its not like Gomi had nothing to see on Nate as well.

Nick and Nate are brothers, are similar in body type and style. Of course they would take the same approach...

Gomi was not what he was when Nick fought him.

Trodden
09-29-2011, 01:23 AM
that's true. I didn't think much of fighter deterioration, it just seemed Gomi had his speed in both fights. maybe he's taken gary goodridge damage and can't see that well or something.

I've just been noticing a trend in fighters trying hard not to move like they have in their respective prior fights, and trying not to be predictable.

I just think that could cause a problem with some fighters. if they get into trouble, they don't have a set strength to fall back on, such as wrestlers, and going on instinct could just revert to a gameplan from an earlier fight, that could hurt more then help

Pasha K
09-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Gomi simply came very bad prepared for the fight. It was obvious.

It is not that he was extremely nervous or anything, it was obvious that he did not trained properly. Nate made him look like an amateur and Nate is not at all the best fighter in the world. How can you say that you was well prepared when of 50 punches that threw your opponent you ate like 46???
How you can say that you are well prepared if it takes you less than 20 seconds to get submitted after you jump into a guard.

Bundy
10-01-2011, 08:30 AM
I can't help but wonder if Overeem watched the Kongo/Cro Cop fight, and figured if he also knocked Cro Cop's nuts into oblivion his chances of victory would increase by 100 fold.

Xtremo
10-01-2011, 10:26 AM
After reading the TS, Chris Leben immediately stuck out, then Rampage. I don't have to explain why.

YukonJordan
10-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Gomi simply came very bad prepared for the fight. It was obvious.

It is not that he was extremely nervous or anything, it was obvious that he did not trained properly. Nate made him look like an amateur and Nate is not at all the best fighter in the world. How can you say that you was well prepared when of 50 punches that threw your opponent you ate like 46???
How you can say that you are well prepared if it takes you less than 20 seconds to get submitted after you jump into a guard.

Just because Nate ran a BJJ clinic on Gomi doesn't mean that Gomi wasn't prepared well. It's easy to look at results say things like that but it doesn't make it true. Nate isn't top P4P or anything but he trains with a very good camp. He shouldn't be looked past in the LW division. Besides quoting what happened in the fight do you have any technical breakdowns you could share with us to back up your theory?

I find Joe Lauzon-Gabe Ruediger to be a good example. In spite of his fondness for ice cream cake Gabe came into that fight on a decent win streak and looked to be in great shape. Lauzon crushed him, it wasn't even close. I doubt Gabe was improperly trained for that fight. Sometimes fighters have a great fight and win big but it has very little to do with their opponent being poorly prepared.

GL Jeff
10-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Pulver,Rampage,Chuck,Fedor,Tank Abott, any Gracie, all come to mind as fighters who never evolved,and when the rest of MMA caught up they were left behind.

Edit: And I think a smart fighter would try a different game place from fight to fight if he can. That way you can avoid your opponent predicting what your going to do. The more well-rounded your wins are,the harder it is for someone to work a game plan against you.

Trodden
10-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I have to agree with Pulver. as much as I love the guy, his boxing improved way beyond his muay thai, and left him open to a lot of combo's that started with leg kicks