PDA

View Full Version : Butter

Metalhead
01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
So I try to eat very little butter and margarine but some things just arn't right without it. For instance, mac and cheese, buns, homemade popcorn. I want to find something else that would work like butter in these situations. With mac and cheese it calls for a quater cup of butter or margarine, but I know that's a hella lot. Any oils or something you could recommend?

Clint
01-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Typically I just use the butter, just in moderation.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-10-2007, 04:24 AM
I never use butter or margarine! Never- ever!!! The stuff is disgusting.

Instead I use Smart Balance. Stay away from I Can't Believe... due to the trans fats(hydrogenated oils) in it. Very, Very Bad Stuff!!! Butter is better, but it is very bad too. :angrrry:

Clint
01-10-2007, 05:19 AM
For some reason the smart balance completely slipped my mind. Maybe because I just call it butter so I forget that it's not.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-10-2007, 06:15 AM
For some reason the smart balance completely slipped my mind. Maybe because I just call it butter so I forget that it's not.

I know! :) Since Smart Balance is all I use my wife calls it "butter" too. It is just a loose expression since we are so used to using it. :)

knappman
01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
So I try to eat very little butter and margarine but some things just arn't right without it. For instance, mac and cheese, buns, homemade popcorn. I want to find something else that would work like butter in these situations. With mac and cheese it calls for a quater cup of butter or margarine, but I know that's a hella lot. Any oils or something you could recommend?

Use butter. You cant really subtiute it with anything and butter is better for you. Mac and cheese is ok once and awhile just make it and eat it.

knappman
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
For all those those that want to know how to eat properly and make yourself healthy in todays world here are some wonderfull tips that i use:

I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. My basic approach to food is "If it does not grow or does not eat something that grows then dont eat it" I try and drink my protien shake every morning which consists of:

1/2 cup of Fat free Yogurt
1/3 protien powder
1 tbs of peanut butter
1 banana
1 cup of soy milk

That will get me through most of the morning then i would usually eat a couple of apples or bananas for a snack.

For lunch i would usually eat a salad with grilled chicken or beef on top. Dont buy your salad make it yourself. For dressing i do not use dressing i use:

Extra virgin olive oil
White Viniger
Miss Dash seasoning

Or the alternative i would have for lunch is pasta or a sub.

For the mid-afternoon snack i would either munch on some veggies or eat more fruit.

And for dinner i would try and fit all food groups into my meal and make it a big one because that is my last meal of the day.

Usually I drink a gallon of water a day it preety much keeps you full and it helps weight loss.

For those just looking to start working out or want to improve their workout then i recomend two books:

LL Cool J's Platinum Workout
Arnold Swartsnegger's pumping Iron

Both books are amazing and they give helpfull hints in to what you may want to use in your workout. They have improved my workout greatly and have helped get better results.

Clint
01-10-2007, 04:28 PM
For all those those that want to know how to eat properly and make yourself healthy in todays world here are some wonderfull tips that i use:

I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. My basic approach to food is "If it does not grow or does not eat something that grows then dont eat it" I try and drink my protien shake every morning which consists of:

1/3 protien powder
1 tbs of peanut butter
1 banana
1 cup of soy milk

That will get me through most of the morning then i would usually eat a couple of apples or bananas for a snack.

For lunch i would usually eat a salad with grilled chicken or beef on top. Dont buy your salad make it yourself. For dressing i do not use dressing i use:

Extra virgin olive oil
White Viniger
Miss Dash seasoning

For the mid-afternoon snack i would either much on some veggies or eat more fruit.

And for dinner i would try and fit all food groups into my meal and make it a big one because that is my last meal of the day.

Usually I drink a gallon of water a day it preety much keeps you full and it helps weight loss.

For those just looking to start working out or want to improve their workout then i recomend two books:

Both books are amazing and they give helpfull hints in to what you may want to use in your workout. They have improved my workout greatly and have helped get better results.

No offense dude but there are better books out there to buy than a workout book by LL Cool J. I think one of the first books anyone buys should be either Never Gymless (http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html) or Infinite Intensity (http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html) by Ross Enamait

Alwaysbelieve1
01-10-2007, 06:35 PM
No offense dude but there are better books out there to buy than a workout book by LL Cool J. I think one of the first books anyone buys should be either Never Gymless (http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html) or Infinite Intensity (http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html) by Ross Enamait

Absolutely! Right on Clint!!! :) :) :) Not only are those great books, but also help lead the way to a better way of life.

Use butter. You cant really subtiute it with anything and butter is better for you. Mac and cheese is ok once and awhile just make it and eat it.

Are you kidding me???!!! Eating pasta is NOT good for you nor is eating butter(raw butter maybe, but most don't eat that).

Alwaysbelieve1
01-10-2007, 06:41 PM

1/3 protien powder
1 tbs of peanut butter
1 banana
1 cup of soy milk

Extra virgin olive oil
White Viniger
Miss Dash seasoning

For the mid-afternoon snack i would either munch on some veggies or eat more fruit.

A few tips for you- cause there are so may holes in your program...

1. Get rid of the soy milk unless you are menopausal woman. It will only increase estrogen in your body which also suppresses your testosterone. It does more, but that is for another time. I think what I mentioned is bad enough. :)

2. Your snacks are completely unbalanced as they are just that: snacks. You need to eat 5-6 small MEALS per day which are perfectly balanced between- protein, fat & carbs. You are getting the carbs in you fruits and veggies, but not much else. Also any protein that you might think is in them is incomplete as the only complete vegetable source is your soy.

3. Due to your snacking habits you also are lacking in protein and fat that your body desperately needs throughout the day. You want to eat about 1g of protein(depending on your goals) for each lb. of bodyweight spread over the 5-6 small meals each day. This will ensure you do not lose precious muscle as well as keep your metabolism high to assist in calorie burnage at rest.

There are my tips and I hope you do act upon them or at least consider them. Your body is not my body so I am not entirely concerned what you do and don't do, but health and fitness is my passion and I try to educate as well as motivate anyone in every way I can. :)

I hope that helps.

Metalhead
01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
What exactly is Smart Balance? Never heard of it. Is it like butter in the sense that you can spread it on a bun or make mac and cheese with it?

Pasta (other than mac and cheese) can be good for you depending on what you need the energy for.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-10-2007, 07:24 PM
What exactly is Smart Balance? Never heard of it. Is it like butter in the sense that you can spread it on a bun or make mac and cheese with it?

Pasta (other than mac and cheese) can be good for you depending on what you need the energy for.

Unless you're a long distance athlete pasta has no other purpose for athletes or individuals. Bottomline: Pasta is very bad for most diets.

Anyway if you want to know about Smart Balance go HERE (http://www.google.com/). Hope that helps. :)

Metalhead
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Unless you're a long distance athlete pasta has no other purpose for athletes or individuals. Bottomline: Pasta is very bad for most diets.

Anyway if you want to know about Smart Balance go HERE (http://www.google.com/). Hope that helps. :)

Pasta with a bit of chicken before a lacrosse game seems to work nice. I hate eating too much protein before a game.

Metalhead
01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I've never looked but is Smart Balance carried at most grocery stores? I do live in Canada so is it available here too?

Clint
01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I've never looked but is Smart Balance carried at most grocery stores? I do live in Canada so is it available here too?

It should be. Just look in with the tubs of butter/margarine

Alwaysbelieve1
01-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Pasta with a bit of chicken before a lacrosse game seems to work nice. I hate eating too much protein before a game.

Sure- protein(depending on the type) may sit in your stomach like a brick where some light veggies & fruit will give you quick energy. Whey protein as well as eggs(try hard boiled) won't hinder your conditioning output.

If your nutrition & training is where it should be you won't need pasta to sustain your energy.

Metalhead
01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
If your nutrition & training is where it should be you won't need pasta to sustain your energy.

Ding ding ding. It's not where it should be. Don't know if it ever will be, or at least the near future. Never was the best conditioned athlete as I never saw the need to train as I was always in "good enough" shape. Once I saw the benefits of the gym I started going but money is an obsticle. Also, my newest problem, tendonitis in both shoulders is making it rather difficult to hit the gym. I was working out hard for 3 months, saw great results, then had an operation on my foot that put me out of training for 3 weeks, then bang, got shoulder problems. Haven't been able to weight train since mid october.

Also, superstition is key for many athletes myself included, hence pasta with a bit of chicken before games :)

Alwaysbelieve1
01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Ding ding ding. It's not where it should be. Don't know if it ever will be, or at least the near future. Never was the best conditioned athlete as I never saw the need to train as I was always in "good enough" shape. Once I saw the benefits of the gym I started going but money is an obsticle. Also, my newest problem, tendonitis in both shoulders is making it rather difficult to hit the gym. I was working out hard for 3 months, saw great results, then had an operation on my foot that put me out of training for 3 weeks, then bang, got shoulder problems. Haven't been able to weight train since mid october.

Also, superstition is key for many athletes myself included, hence pasta with a bit of chicken before games :)

You don't need to go to the gym to get into shape. In fact most of the things I do I do at home with little to no equipment. Also if your shoulders are shot right now you can still train your core as well as legs if your foot is alright. Cardio can be accomplished if you can with your foot or find a pool and there you go. :)

There are always options & solutions. You simply to find them. Be creative and use your mind.

By the way if you want to take care of the inflammation caused by your tendinitis in your shoulders simply ice it(never heat to inflammation) 3x per day about 15 minutes a time. After a few weeks(4-6 or so) it should go away depending on the severity. Often times this sort of injury is caused by overuse and overworked muscles in the relative areas. Rest, ice and more rest is what is needed. Don't try to do what you can in those areas since it will only prolong your recovery and possibly create further(or even new) injuries.

Hope that helps. :)

Metalhead
01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
My cardio isn't much of a problem. Since my foot got well enough to run on I've been doing that and I do core work as well. I'm just physically not very strong. Like never have I been able to do 20 push ups with ease. Even when I was in my best shape. But I can run forever.

Alwaysbelieve1
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
My cardio isn't much of a problem. Since my foot got well enough to run on I've been doing that and I do core work as well. I'm just physically not very strong. Like never have I been able to do 20 push ups with ease. Even when I was in my best shape. But I can run forever.

If you train your legs and get lower body hip power your upper body will get much, much stronger.

Metalhead
01-11-2007, 11:06 PM
My legs are actually pretty sexy. They are my strong point.

Metalhead
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Instead of making a new thread. What's best for Tendonitis in the shoulder/rotator cuff? I've gone to physio twice. The first time there was a bit of relief for a couple days and the second time absolutly nothing came of it. Chiropractor? Massage? Accupuncture? Keep up with physio?

Alwaysbelieve1
01-12-2007, 04:54 AM
Instead of making a new thread. What's best for Tendonitis in the shoulder/rotator cuff? I've gone to physio twice. The first time there was a bit of relief for a couple days and the second time absolutly nothing came of it. Chiropractor? Massage? Accupuncture? Keep up with physio?

I responded to you already. If you want to re-read it please go HERE (http://z10.invisionfree.com/Always_Believe_In_1/index.php?showtopic=418&st=0&#last) :)

yea, i have some of the stuff now, and i call it butter, it is tasty and not to off from the real deal
It is great stuff huh?!