PDA

View Full Version : Nick Diaz vs. Frankie Edgar

Kimbo> Rampage
10-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Who wins?

We've seen Nick fight at 160 a couple of times. He wanted to got to LW, then just changed his mind for some reason. He is a top WW, but would only lose by getting taken down and decision... outside of maybe BJ.

at LW he could really tear shit up.

I see him outclassing Frankie if they fought, his reach would be a lot to deal with and his style would fluster frankie. Frankie could get him down, but would be in a world of problems if he stayed down there for too long... Although Frankie is more of a guy who plays it safe and gets the takedowns to land points rather then really mount an offensive. He is always good at coming up with a gameplan.

Fedorlei Gomipierre
10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, Nick is awfully larger than Frankie, has sick reach and cardio for days.....but Frankie has slick wrestling and I've yet to see Diaz prove himself to be capable of efficient TDD against an admirable foe.

Frankie via UD.

end it with a left
10-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Lol how about you just wait til Nate Diaz gets himself a shot at that belt and you'll get the general idea

Fedorlei Gomipierre
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Lol how about you just wait til Nate Diaz gets himself a shot at that belt and you'll get the general idea

I'll wait until Nate GETS the shot....only to see him utterly flake out during pre-fight promotional stuff before the biggest fight of his life and wuss out. I hear it's hereditary!!!

Kimbo> Rampage
10-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, Nick is awfully larger than Frankie, has sick reach and cardio for days.....but Frankie has slick wrestling and I've yet to see Diaz prove himself to be capable of efficient TDD against an admirable foe.

Frankie via UD.

Yes but Frankie's sub defense has not been tested too much. We cant assume he has Sherk or Diego's sub defense.

He would be in big Danger standing with Nick for too long and also in danger if he took him down. He likes to score points, so he doesnt really do much with his takedowns, he just gets them and doesnt spend too much time on the ground to put himself in danger. Like he did against Bj. the problem is that his moving in and out and landing his shots and getting out of the way will be much harder against a long reached volume puncher like Nick is.

That would be a sick fight.

Please dont compare Nate to Nick. He will always be a poor man's Nick Diaz.

Rise
10-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I think Diaz takes it just based on his physical advantages over Frankie. The reach disadvantage alone mean makes it a tough fight for Edgar.

I could see Frankie having some success though using the right game plan.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Nick's reach and boxing style would be too much for Frankie, even considering how safe and calculated Edgar can fight at times. Its much harder to stick and move when your opponent has a good reach on you and is a volume puncher.

dbader08
10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Nick and Nate both take Frankie imo.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Nick and Nate both take Frankie imo.

A lot of people would write off Nate against Frankie, but I see him giving Frankie a ton of problems. His standup would give him a ton of problems and he is very dangerous off his back. His boxing looked great against Gomi, I couldnt see Frankie ever doing that to Gomi.

mma #1 fan
10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Nick does not win this fight as he would pass out on the way to the cage he can't make 155 any more

Masscore
10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
How does Frankie Edgar still get no respect for his stand-up and overall skills? This is a guy that should be fighting 145 and he dominated former champions Sean Sherk and BJ Penn and KO'd Maynard.

Frankie would dominate Diaz in every part of the game. At 155 he doesn't have to worry about the cut and his boxing and movement are too much for Diaz to handle. Edgar is a better boxer overall then Diaz because he actually uses movement and Diaz just hopes the guy he is fighting stands in front of him and brawls. Which Edgar wouldn't do. Edgar via UD every single day of the week.

And Nick beating Edgar... yea the same guy that got handled by Joe Stevenson is going to beat Edgar. Doubtful.

dbader08
10-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, thankfully for those of us that think Nate would win, fighters haven't reached their full potential by the age of 23, as shocking as it may seem. His fight with Joe was FOTN anyways, and he has improved alot since then imo.

and Frankie hardly dominated Sherk, or BJ the first time. He handily beat Sherk, but when you use the word "dominate", it is a bit misleading. Diaz also beat Maynard in their last fight imo...but again, I just think its funny how people write Diaz off because he lost a couple of very close fights at the age of 23 or 24, and I'm not talking about the Rory Mac fight lol I know that wasn't close but Rory Mac is a stud and a big WW which is a weight Diaz has no business fighting at...

But I find it pretty funny that people actually think Frankie would be the favorite to beat Nick, if Nick can even make 155, however if it was at 162 or something then Frankie gets destroyed. That is just hilarious, saying Frankie would dominate Nick in the boxing department lol, come on man...

Masscore
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, thankfully for those of us that think Nate would win, fighters haven't reached their full potential by the age of 23, as shocking as it may seem. His fight with Joe was FOTN anyways, and he has improved alot since then imo.

and Frankie hardly dominated Sherk, or BJ the first time. He handily beat Sherk, but when you use the word "dominate", it is a bit misleading. Diaz also beat Maynard in their last fight imo...but again, I just think its funny how people write Diaz off because he lost a couple of very close fights at the age of 23 or 24, and I'm not talking about the Rory Mac fight lol I know that wasn't close but Rory Mac is a stud and a big WW which is a weight Diaz has no business fighting at...

But I find it pretty funny that people actually think Frankie would be the favorite to beat Nick, if Nick can even make 155, however if it was at 162 or something then Frankie gets destroyed. That is just hilarious, saying Frankie would dominate Nick in the boxing department lol, come on man...

Both Diaz brothers are exteremly overrated IMO. Neither of them have ever beaten anyone of note and to say that either of them would beat one of the Top P4P fighters on the planet is insane. After Nick gets smashed by BJ Penn and Nate loses his next couple of fights and gets cut you will see what I am talking about.

Frankie Edgar is one of the Top 5 fighters on the planet and Nick and Nate Diaz are so far behind him at this point it is laughable.

When it comes to Sherk, Edgar outstruck him something like 3 to 1 or 4-1 and he completely ragdolled BJ Penn in the rematch. Sherk we know is already better then the Diaz brother and BJ Penn is about to send one of them to the ER. So I do not see how either of them could be considered in Edgar's league. Hell Jose Aldo could bump up and smash both of them.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Nobody is slighting Edgar. Styles make fights.

He outpointed BJ. Im picking Penn over Diaz. But id take Diaz over Edgar. Styles make fights. It is way harder to implement Frankie's striking against someone with a bigger reach. We havent seen him stay on the ground with a top notch grappler for long periods of time. He was playing it safe against BJ. If Nick starts lighting him up and forces Frankie to take him down, he would be in big danger. That is one area we still really dont know how good frankie is good at.... his sub defense, he hasnt had to use it too much...

Who would have thought that Nick Diaz was actually younger than Frankie Edgar.

dbader08
10-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Both Diaz brothers are exteremly overrated IMO. Neither of them have ever beaten anyone of note and to say that either of them would beat one of the Top P4P fighters on the planet is insane. After Nick gets smashed by BJ Penn and Nate loses his next couple of fights and gets cut you will see what I am talking about.

Frankie Edgar is one of the Top 5 fighters on the planet and Nick and Nate Diaz are so far behind him at this point it is laughable.

When it comes to Sherk, Edgar outstruck him something like 3 to 1 or 4-1 and he completely ragdolled BJ Penn in the rematch. Sherk we know is already better then the Diaz brother and BJ Penn is about to send one of them to the ER. So I do not see how either of them could be considered in Edgar's league. Hell Jose Aldo could bump up and smash both of them.

OK, I will be sure to make the top part of this quote my sig after the fight in a couple of weeks, and you think Nate will lose his next couple of fights lol well that is your opinion.

and they have never beaten anybody of note? That comment is about as stupid as it gets my friend...and Nick outstruck Sherk and totally should have won that fight (Diaz outstruck him 131 to 80 and Sherk was only 2 of 19 on takedowns, Diaz also had a takedown and did more damage from his back than Sherk did on top), which took place like 6 years ago when Nick was 21 lol I mean, everybody knows fighters are at their prime when they are 21 years old fighting someone who is already a very solid fighter and a veteran of the sport.

Edgar is definitely a top 5 fighter on the planet but Nate is still young and is ever improving, Nick is just a bigger fighter than Edgar, is better standing up and would smash him. Frankie is excellent on the ground but Diaz' considerable size advantage would be too much for Frankie to handle.

and for Nate, I just think Diaz is better standing up and Frankie's bouncing in and out style wouldn't be as effective against someone who doesn't tire and someone with a longer reach, and on the ground, Nate is as good as anybody. Frankie winning a UD would certainly be possible, but you can't knock a guy for getting laid on for 5 rounds, I know you love wrestlers and all, but that isn't nearly as impressive as choking someone out or tkoing them.

Sakara=Excitement
10-25-2011, 02:53 PM
So Frankie should really be fighting at 145, Nick fights at 170....how did this even come about in someone's brain?

Kimbo> Rampage
10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
So Frankie should really be fighting at 145, Nick fights at 170....how did this even come about in someone's brain?

According to Dana White?

Notice this is in "Dream Matches" Section.

Frankie is a the LW champion and Nick was playing with the idea of going down to 155 in the past. He got as low as 160 a few times.

And at the very least it is an interesting matchup.

Again, thanks for adding to a thread... :dry:

0mega1
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes but Frankie's sub defense has not been tested too much. We cant assume he has Sherk or Diego's sub defense.

He would be in big Danger standing with Nick for too long and also in danger if he took him down. He likes to score points, so he doesnt really do much with his takedowns, he just gets them and doesnt spend too much time on the ground to put himself in danger. Like he did against Bj. the problem is that his moving in and out and landing his shots and getting out of the way will be much harder against a long reached volume puncher like Nick is.

That would be a sick fight.

Please dont compare Nate to Nick. He will always be a poor man's Nick Diaz.

after that destruction of Gomi, im not sure I agree with that statement.

dbader08
10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Exactly. Nate is young. I find it hilarious when people write off fighters due to them losing some very close fights at an extremely young age.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Exactly. Nate is young. I find it hilarious when people write off fighters due to them losing some very close fights at an extremely young age.

What are you talking about?

I wasnt slighting Nate, but when comparing him to Nick... He isnt going to look as good.

Iv been a fan of Nate for a while, but I dont see him doing anything better than Nick can.

dbader08
10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I wasn't exactly talking about you, just sayin that in general I do find it crazy when people write people off at a very young age, like how people say Nick is a mid level fighter because of losing some very close fights at the age of 21 and 22.

Its just a bit of a reach imo to say Nate will always be the poor man's Nick, he is still very young and has time to improve and has finished some very good fighters. In my opinion he looked the best at 155 that he ever has in his last fight.

Xtremo
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Reach is just too much. Diaz tko rd 1.