PDA

View Full Version : Who would be the best Non-contact sport MMA fighter?

MIZjitsZOU
10-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Ok stupid question. I am sitting here watching game one of the World Series hoping like hell the Cardinals will win. I am wondering who would be the a good mixed martial artists, if they started training, from a non-contact sport like baseball, basketball, soccer, or tennis (could be more, but not football, rugby, hockey, or other bad ass collision sports). I think athletes are athletes and they will be in whatever sport they are in.

That said I think Albert Pujols would make an awesome MMA fighter. Does anyone else got any names? We could even do actors and musicians.

beardown98
10-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Julius peppers is a beast he played football and basketball at an extremely high level in college at UNC and has been a pro bowler in the NFL. i believe he could be a monster at heavy weight if he would of not wanted the millions upon millions he gets paid for playing pro ball.

Trodden
10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
high enough weight class, and training from high school age

Shaq

he'd be destroying everyone

Kimbo> Rampage
10-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Julius peppers

thats exactly who came to mind when I thought of it. The guy is insane. There is nobody like him. The Linemen that are stronger than him are WAY slower and carry around a ton of extra weight. The guys that are faster than him, are not nearly as strong as him.

He has some good height on him with a good wingspan as well.

Others I would mention Suh or Calvin Johnson.

Athletes that can play in the NFL have to be top level talent, but there are certain variables that you just dont know about. Their ability to take a punch, how they react when they get hit, and their ability to execute what they have been training in practice. Some guys just freeze up. And some guys just cannot take a punch.

Im on the side that believes that punching power can be improve, but there only so much, a lot of it is natural talent. Same thing with hand speed.

Another misconception is that if someone is say fast on the track field that they would automatically be fast in the ring and have fast hands.

Hand speed and Foot speed are 2 different things.

likebutta
10-24-2011, 05:25 AM
Wayne Gretzky. Everybody would just throw in the towel because he is so awesome.

IceCold48
10-24-2011, 06:28 AM
Wayne Gretzky. Everybody would just throw in the towel because he is so awesome.

since when is hockey a non contact sport?

GL Jeff
10-24-2011, 07:25 AM
If Peppers played football,that would remove him from the criteria of the thread.

TO be fair,Wayne never got touched in hockey,so for him it was a contact sport,lol jk.

To be fair,its really hard to pick someone that wasnt or isnt in a contact sport, that would do well.

What about Serena Williams, that chick is angry, she would do well in MMA.

kalebarker
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Some of the more atheletically gifted NBA players would translate into MMA very well. Somebody like Lebron with his explosiveness and reach could develop into a very tough fighter to fight against.

The_Icon
10-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I think if Shaq had trained MMA from the start he could be good. As far as Actors, I'd love to see Jason Stathom and Jet Li in the Octagon.

Trodden
10-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Tony Jaa would be the next Wandy, fighting guy's as big as Mark Hunt

and destroying them all

optimusjoel
10-24-2011, 10:18 PM
I think if Shaq had trained MMA from the start he could be good. As far as Actors, I'd love to see Jason Stathom and Jet Li in the Octagon.

I don't think shaq would do good at all. He is very big so he would have to cut a ton of weight. The guy had zero hand eye coordination, my little sister can shoot free throws better. I couldn't imagine him being very good at wrestling either.