PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting GreasGate

Kimbo> Rampage
10-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Its been almost 3 years now. I know some of you do not care or are sick of talking about it. But to those who do, what is your opinion of what went down?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PGyDacXx8YY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xHg1zmUleQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lr3LFRzTN4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MMAtt
10-22-2011, 03:31 AM
GSP cheated and BJ Penn is the current WW champion!

SwordofAres
10-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Haha how did I know you would be the first to respond to this MMatt?

Rampage, Im curious, why post this now? The subject has been discussed to death. Not trying to be a dick I just really dont understand why you would want to rehash this now.

carbondioxide830
10-22-2011, 03:56 AM
no secret how i feel. fair is fair. simple n plain.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-22-2011, 03:57 AM
After all this talking about BJ and GSP leading up the 137 it made me revisit their 2nd fight. I was also grappling with a teammate the other day and noticed something was off. I could not get a hold of him at all, everything was slipping. Turns out he had put lotion on for other reasons, not even thinking about what it could do.

Vaseline is way worse than that, I can only imagine, it just will not come off. I could see what a huge advantage it would be to have Vaseline on your body. Not just for the ground game. Submissions, passing and what not. But also for the wrestling. It would be very hard to get a hold behind someones legs for a double or on their back for a throw.

I am in no way saying that made GSP win the fight, he would have beat him regardless imo. Something just didnt sit well.

It seems its impossible to have an intelligent conversation on this. Its always "quit bitching, GSP didnt cheat" or "GSP cheated"

The subject has been discussed to death.

Its been almost 3 years now. I know some of you do not care or are sick of talking about it. But to those who do, what is your opinion of what went down?

Diegonightmare
10-22-2011, 04:05 AM
I can't really add anything new beyond what I said about it lo these many years ago.

Qball1974
10-22-2011, 04:10 AM
Piss off and go away.....FYI Anderson greases every fight lets talk about that! :deadhorse:

MMAtt
10-22-2011, 04:12 AM
Haha how did I know you would be the first to respond to this MMatt?

Rampage, Im curious, why post this now? The subject has been discussed to death. Not trying to be a dick I just really dont understand why you would want to rehash this now.

I speak the truth, BJ won the first fight when it was a fair fight, then GSP cheated in the 2nd fight so BJ Penn is 2-0 vs GSP and is yours and my WW Champion of the world!

Spoon
10-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Why isn't there a thread about Akiyama and "Oil of Olay-gate"?

Piss off and go away.....FYI Anderson greases every fight lets talk about that! :deadhorse:
QFT! Every damn fight he wipes his face, and then wipes it on his chest.

VimyRidge
10-22-2011, 05:03 AM
I speak the truth, BJ won the first fight when it was a fair fight, then GSP cheated in the 2nd fight so BJ Penn is 2-0 vs GSP and is yours and my WW Champion of the world!

Won the first fight??????? More like GSP won despite being poked in the eye.

Pasha K
10-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Yeah sure and Sonnen is the MW champion

Chute_Boxe44
10-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Fuck grease gate, how about we revisit this

http://mmabadass.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/silva-greasing.gif

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XgUh-2vXAbs/TU7KTGhtQyI/AAAAAAAABEQ/OXqdL2FefQU/s1600/1.gif

Nobody seems to bring this up at all and its just ridiculous

Someone please come up with a smart ass comment as to how this is not cheating

end it with a left
10-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm guessing/hoping thats ^ the death of this thread. Yeah he greased he cheated. It should be a no contest but than again same goes for Silva. It is more of an offense for Anderson who is trying to not go to the ground that for GSP because his game is controlling and you can't control when you're slippery yourself

Sniggles
10-22-2011, 06:28 AM
I'm guessing/hoping thats ^ the death of this thread. Yeah he greased he cheated. It should be a no contest but than again same goes for Silva. It is more of an offense for Anderson who is trying to not go to the ground that for GSP because his game is controlling and you can't control when you're slippery yourself

That's pretty ignorant. It is EASIER for GSP to control a BJJ wizard like BJ Penn when he has ZERO risk of being caught in a submission. Explain to me how someone can pull rubber guard, pull off a triangle or even hold his head down in guard while he is reigning down blows. All GSP had to do is push him around and hold BJ down with his UNGREASED arms and hands.

:dry:

Vaseline works for wrestlers against BJJ.

Won the first fight??????? More like GSP won despite being poked in the eye.

Does a fist in the eye count as a eye poke?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/rmiller3d/takedown.jpg

Sakara=Excitement
10-22-2011, 06:28 AM
It seems its impossible to have an intelligent conversation on this. Its always "quit bitching, GSP didnt cheat" or "GSP cheated".

So why bring it up then? :confusedsmilie:

end it with a left
10-22-2011, 06:57 AM
That's pretty ignorant. It is EASIER for GSP to control a BJJ wizard like BJ Penn when he has ZERO risk of being caught in a submission. Explain to me how someone can pull rubber guard, pull off a triangle or even hold his head down in guard while he is reigning down blows. All GSP had to do is push him around and hold BJ down with his UNGREASED arms and hands.

Ok how about you grease yourself up and than try taking down someone with tdd. It's a lot harder to get someone down when you're slippery. You should have a hard time grabbing and controlling your opponent. Yeah it makes some submissions harder but all chokes including triangles can be sinched in when slippery. The grease did not go all the up to the back of GSP head or down the back of his legs where BJ could have grabbed him to control his posture when he's throwing up his legs with out controlling a head or arm. Instead he threw up half assed attempts at triangles that only required posturing up which he could have down without grease.

goodtimes
10-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Ok how about you grease yourself up and than try taking down someone with tdd. It's a lot harder to get someone down when you're slippery. You should have a hard time grabbing and controlling your opponent. Yeah it makes some submissions harder but all chokes including triangles can be sinched in when slippery. The grease did not go all the up to the back of GSP head or down the back of his legs where BJ could have grabbed him to control his posture when he's throwing up his legs with out controlling a head or arm. Instead he threw up half assed attempts at triangles that only required posturing up which he could have down without grease.

A lot of pro grapplers grease. There were plenty of greasing scandals in olympic judo. Being greasy is an advantage for a grappler, whether trying to avoid takedowns or taking someone down.

This arguments been done to death; clearly, a guy in GSP's corner rubbed grease on him. It was pretty stupid, since everyone saw him doing it. It could have turned into something a lot more serious, but I think they wanted to save GSP's reputation and hung it up on the cornerman who did it, and it caused a rule change which is good.

Sakara=Excitement
10-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Does a fist in the eye count as a eye poke?

I know you're biased and all but everyone knows it was an eye poke that did that damage to GSP's eye.

I find it crazy that GSP has been so open about his feelings during that fight, and what he overcame to win that fight, and he gets shit on because of nuthuggery. A shame really.

Besides, when's the last time BJ pulled a submission from the bottom anyways in an MMA match? Don't worry, I'll wait

Kimbo> Rampage
10-22-2011, 07:46 AM
This was more of an example on the topic of "greasing" in mma. I never said anything negative about any fighter here.

Why get pissed that I brought it up? If you are sick of the topic and dont care... dont post here. I was trying to have a discussion on greasing.

So why bring it up then? :confusedsmilie:

You dont have to post in a thread if you dont want to. You dont like a thread then just leave it.

Sakara=Excitement
10-22-2011, 02:55 PM
This was more of an example on the topic of "greasing" in mma. I never said anything negative about any fighter here.

Why get pissed that I brought it up? If you are sick of the topic and dont care... dont post here. I was trying to have a discussion on greasing.

You dont have to post in a thread if you dont want to. You dont like a thread then just leave it.

Well I hope you can see why this got n00bjacked. I mean, you can't admit that the topic is done to death, that no one has anything constructive to say, and then say if you don't like it not to post, lol.

Trodden
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Roy Nelson sweats grease, does that count?

MIZjitsZOU
10-22-2011, 03:00 PM
@Rampage, Thank god that Justin Beiber picture is off your sig. Every time I saw it I got a little angry inside.

Lots of good athletes cheat or try to to get an edge. Most people don't get caught red handed on tape. I think GSP was gonna beat B.J. (who I like more as a fighter) anyways that night. I wish he wouldn't have done that b/c GSP is a role model and is the poster boy to main stream.

Question for the board. Anderson Silva wipes the vas off his face and puts it on his body. Since a non-sanctioning body puts it on , and not his corner I see this as a lesser crime. Question is, do the rules state that this is against the rules?

What about nate marquart. He was using something on his legs prior to the fight with Pallahares. Might not be sporting, but smart.

"If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying hard enough."
Unknown

Spoon
10-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Question for the board. Anderson Silva wipes the vas off his face and puts it on his body. Since a non-sanctioning body puts it on , and not his corner I see this as a lesser crime. Question is, do the rules state that this is against the rules?

What about nate marquart. He was using something on his legs prior to the fight with Pallahares. Might not be sporting, but smart.

Unknown

I don't see how a fighter wiping it off his face and on to his body is any less illegal than his corner man doing it. To be technical, what Silva does isn't illegal, and even what GSP did wasn't illegal. The rule specifically states excessive use of grease on a fighter's face or body is illegal. It says nothing about grease on a fighter's body, in general, being illegal.

What about Nate? There's never been any proof that he used anything on his skin before the fight. Palhares claimed he was slippery, and Nate said he was just really sweaty from working out right before going to the ring. The ref (Herb Dean if I remember correctly) wiped his leg with a towel after the fight ended, and found nothing but sweat. Add on to the fact that Palhares is a dirty fighter himself. So if Nate did have something on him, Palhares got what he deserved.

SwordofAres
10-22-2011, 05:28 PM
@Rampage, Thank god that Justin Beiber picture is off your sig. Every time I saw it I got a little angry inside.

Lots of good athletes cheat or try to to get an edge. Most people don't get caught red handed on tape. I think GSP was gonna beat B.J. (who I like more as a fighter) anyways that night. I wish he wouldn't have done that b/c GSP is a role model and is the poster boy to main stream.

Unknown

You say this as if it were a fact, do you have anything to back this claim up?

MMAtt
10-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I
Well I hope you can see why this got n00bjacked. I mean, you can't admit that the topic is done to death, that no one has anything constructive to say, and then say if you don't like it not to post, lol.

I agree with sakara, if he doesn't wanna talk about it no one should.

MIZjitsZOU
10-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Unknown

Ok, so several part of my post are admittedly bad. I was trying to make a quick point about which infraction, gsp's cornerman or silva whiping vas. from his face, is worse. I really don't care about either. I appreciate Spoon informing me that technically neither are illegal by the rules.

As for my Marquardt claim I was not saying that Marquardt did it right before the fight. I was saying that the days or weeks to the lead up of the fight I had read that he used some sort of lotion. I could not find that anywhere on the web. I did find several articles talking about him getting a good sweat on.

So, I apologize for this less than stellar post that I made.

Kimbo> Rampage
10-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Nobody seems to bring this up at all and its just ridiculous

Someone please come up with a smart ass comment as to how this is not cheating
I dont understand what your trying to say. Both should be addressed in the future if the AC's can get together and come up with better regulations. One doesn't justify the other.

I origionally wanted it in noobjack, but the videos didnt work here for some reason. Yes this topic has been to death and people are sick of talking about it. If you dont care about it, dont post in the thread. :dry:

Sniggles
10-23-2011, 03:45 AM
I know you're biased and all but everyone knows it was an eye poke that did that damage to GSP's eye.

I find it crazy that GSP has been so open about his feelings during that fight, and what he overcame to win that fight, and he gets shit on because of nuthuggery. A shame really.

Besides, when's the last time BJ pulled a submission from the bottom anyways in an MMA match? Don't worry, I'll wait

How can you tell I am biased?

<<<---

I

I agree with sakara, if he doesn't wanna talk about it no one should.

Kiss ass.

MMAtt
10-23-2011, 06:12 AM
How can you tell I am biased?

<<<---

Kiss ass.

Not good at sensing sarcasm?

SwordofAres
10-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Not good at sensing sarcasm?

Hey no fair! I saw you rubbing vaseline on post. No wonder Degenero couldn't grasp the obvious sarcasm, it was too slippery!

rabidsponge
10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
would bj even have pursued it further if he had won??

Kimbo> Rampage
10-24-2011, 03:36 AM
You say this as if it were a fact, do you have anything to back this claim up?

Paul Harris cant lie.:grinsmile1:

Hey no fair! I saw you rubbing vaseline on post. No wonder Degenero couldn't grasp the obvious sarcasm, it was too slippery!
See now you get it.

dbader08
10-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Roy Nelson sweats grease, does that count?
Roy Nelson's pre fight meal...

http://www.cheese-burger.net/images/biggest-cheeseburger-3.jpg